• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sheriff puts Bank of Scotland to proof on bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have started a complaint and refund request using these specific arguments against a well known name (saying no more for now). I was quite surprised when it was taken immediately high up the line of command.

Excellent work GLC!

I have done the same even to quoting the Scottish case, and I would be greatly surprised if if was a different bank to you Rhia ;). The lying toads even tried to tell me that the OFT was defeated on Reg. 5 :eek:. They seem to assume that their customers can't read.

LSP

june 2010 is just another carrot in my opinion and will not resolve anything and will not open the flood gates.... each case will still have to be taken to court and the govan case just holds up thousands of others waiting for outcome.... I bet my hat eating that it does not open floodgates and that all individual cases still need to be challenged.... like I have said many times we need to bring a bank to its knees and challenge the government especially at this time when they need our votes. what needs to happen to the British public before we do something about it?

MP's stealing expenses

Lords selling Laws to companies

Banks stealing from poor to make sure in credit customers dont pay

credit reference agencies having no legal right to hold our data?

0845-0870 numbers

late payment fees

overlimit fees

contact centres moved to india etc ( poor customer service to save money)

Banks bailed out and brought country to its knees yet still pay huge bonuses to keep best people( which people are these, those that made mistakes in first place)

justice for victims and not criminals

I am sure there are many more?

what is it going to take before we collectively do something about it....

voting for the 2 major parties is not going to change things....

asking them to listen is not going to work either

The only thing that will work is direct action that will make them listen????

In this day of facebook, twitter and internet we have more power than ever before yet we seem less willing to utilise that power and more willing to let somebody else try and then decide if we can try( govan case)

frustrated ( australia for me , I think)

• Haha 1

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

GLC

Great work guys, great work. Thanks for giving us all something to hopefully re-adress this issue with.

May it all go excellently well on the day. :-)

I pray you will be very well prepared for the victory which you and your clients are due as the banks have an awful lot invested in this charade judging by how hard and far they appealed it the first time.

Still, I think the fact that the SC ruling offered that there may be other more effective avenues of contestation, which of course you are exploiting here, says a whole lot without saying too much!

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

Hi CitB:) Have just come from there and quote below. Where do we send these letter to:???:

Q. What about other banks?

A. If you have Terms & Conditions from any bank or correspondence from any bank or court documents filed by any bank in which they have tried to justify their charges by claiming that they are set at a fair level because they reflect their administrative costs or because they permit a reasonable level of return then we would like to receive a scanned copy – without the identifiers removed. We will never reveal your identity to anyone but we need to see it untouched.

We are sure that the necessary documents do exist because all of the banks have followed the same line in trying to defend their bank charges.

If you have this kind of document then you should consider suing your bank in the County Court on the basis that they abused their dominant position by misrepresenting their charges to you contrary to the requirements of good faith and that you suffered detriment because you agreed to pay them and this caused you detriment.

Congratulations to GLC for achieving this.

Will be watching this unfold with great interest.

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

My bank have applied for my claim to be struck out, the hearing is in April.

I have not yet amended my Particulars of Claim. I am waiting to see how GLC get on.

Should I amend my claim before the hearing?

Are there costs implications if I lose and the claim is struck out?

Is there any info on defending the application to stike out?

I had previously obtained judgement by default. This was set aside. Now I face the strike out...and thats before I get to a real hearing.....

I reckon it better to get the strike out hearing stayed until after GLCs hearing.

What is my best course of action?

Its WAR

I reckon it better to get the strike out hearing stayed until after GLCs hearing.

What is my best course of action?

Maybe we should all turn the tables on them like they did with delaying responses until the Manchester Case was heard:???:

We could all write a letter using the reasons as given below, and say we'll wait until 10 June:???:

This is amazing progress Mike. I'm sure that we are all watching carefully

Dear BF

How does this work and the arguments used by GLC relate to your writings relating to the matter of claims based on banks' misrepresentation regarding their bank charges?

The Consumer Forums - FAQ - How do I reclaim my bank charges if they have been misrepresented

You also mentioned there were a couple of cases against Lloyds and Abbey which are in progress using the misrepresentation argument. Any update on these please?

Muchas Gracias!!!

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

Hi CitB:) Have just come from there and quote below. Where do we send these letter to:???:

Hi All

This is a great question by AA99, where and how do we send any of the evidence we may have against any of the banks for the purpose of building the 'Evidence Library' cited in the article?

I have started a complaint and refund request using these specific arguments against a well known name (saying no more for now). I was quite surprised when it was taken immediately high up the line of command.

Excellent work GLC!

Hi Rhia

Well done. :wink: Not wasting any time eh? :p I take it you've read the relevant laws as above and have argued them accordingly? Any chance you can share your letter/template (I know it's early days...). You can PM if you prefer. Thanks.

Just include the line in your application:

The Claimant respectfully draws the attention of the Court to a very recent decision in the Glasgow Sheriff Court on the 19th February 2010 – a bank charges case against the Bank of Scotland [boS], the Sheriff accepted that the burden of proof was upon the Defendant bank to prove the fairness of their Charges and has ordered the BoS to disclose the information to do so. The solicitor in this case was Mike Dailly of the Govern Law Centre.

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

AA, I have just sent you an email address by pm.... can you please send it there. Thanks.:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

This is such great news!

I gather from the posts above that RBS has not attempted to strike out as had their claim as yet. Unfortunately I have, and my local court are agreeing that I should amend my POC. I know that I will be using Regulation 5’ of the Unfair terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations and Section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as the basis of my claim but dont have any idea on how to word it and feel that I cant keep waiting. Can anyone put any light on this for me as I feel that the court will lose patience with me very soon.

I actually have two seperate claims with RBS, the one i am currently dealing with is rather less than the second and I'd like to get his right before i change the POC on the larger claim.

The following is my attempt at having a go at the wording.. can someone please read through to see if I am anywhere near getting it right?

'

The Claimant held account number 000000000000000, sort code 00000 with the Defendant. Defendant debited charges in iro of purported breaches of contract between March 2001 to March 2004. Defendant has been supplied with a list of spread sheet of charges with interest. Claimant contends; a – The charges exceeded the Defendant’s losses caused by such breaches ; b – The Term permitting the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable under Regulation 5 of the unfair terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, and Section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974; c – If charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under Section 15 of Supply of Goods Act 1982. Claimant claims: a – Return of amounts debited of £00; b – Interest of 33.7% - £00 as per Defendant’s ‘effective annual’ rate of interest; c – Interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of 0.28p. All default notices to be removed. Costs allowed by the Court.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

:):)

Edited by Dysexlic

The charges exceeded the Defendant’s losses caused by such breaches.

If charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under Section 15 of Supply of Goods Act 1982

These need removing - you can no longer argue the level of charges.

I don't think that you can claim contractual and the 8% its one or the other

Edited by rdm2006

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

thanks rdm2006.

I am pretty clueless re the wording. (or any other points for that matter)

I'll remove those parts and keep reading, but if anyone else can put any light on how I may improve the POC in the next couple of days it would be of great help.

Thanks again

T

Can we now use this Regulation 5’ of the Unfair terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations and Section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 in letters asking for refund of charges.

I never started my bank claim with Halifax and they have now sent me a notice of default unless I pay them within x time.

Only small amount of £60 but everything comprised from 2 failed dd I had set

up for my cc cards.

I was always claiming account in dispute and that shut em up for a bit but now I'm not so sure there going to go a way.

Anyone done a template letter for sending out using this new regulations 5.

Will have to check my paperwork as i'm sure I have something from Halifax trying to explain there charges to me and read somewhere else that's what I need.

Anyone offer any guidance ?

George

If you want to hit HBOS in the pocket go to FOS - it will cost them about £450 if you do so - but threaten to them that you will do so first and they might refund you to avoid paying out to FOS.

The cost of FOS to the Banks is actually its best thing. It's pretty useless at getting justice and usually seems to side with its paymaster banking pals in the city.

Fortunately you will not be bound by any FOS decision - but HBOS would be if it was in your favour.

BD