car insurance cheaper at relatives address, can i use that address?

tal
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That's a very good point. I had thought that the alternative address was quite a distance away because a drop of £160-odd seemed to indicate that.

And obviously if someone, for example, lives on a really rough estate (not saying the OP does of course) where cars are regularly stolen or vandalised then it makes perfect sense to park in a safe location and take a 10 minute walk home.

It would be easier to give an opinion if the OP could clarify the question.

Hi all, I went on some of these comparison site's and first put in that the car was registered in my name and the car would be parked at my address overnight but sill insured in my partners name and the premium was higher than my partner is paying now but still cheaper than if I insured the car by in my name by about £200 pounds.

I then put in the same details keeping me as the registered owner but giving the parking address as the policy holder my partners address and the quote dropped by another £100. So the registered keeper had little effect on the renewal quote but they did not like the fact the car would be kept at a different address over night.

A couple of other things I played around with was my occupation, I found that if I put myself down as an electrical engineer instead of an electrician. there was a difference of £20, I would consider that my job could be described as either so don't understand the difference. Just thought it's something you might want to consider when renewing your quote.

So I am going to register the car in my name and bring the car up to my partners house after 10 o'clock when the parking restrictions have run out. This way I am not breaking the law have valid insurance and it as only cost me an extra £40 than were currently paying.

Hope this makes sense.

I've done this before when I was a student, said I parked my car at my parents house, when actually I was living in Cardiff about 40 miles away. Low and behold the car was stolen but I still got a successful claim. Just because your car is stolen elsewhere from where you "usually park it", doesnt mean you shouldnt be able to claim.

You need to declare the address that the vehicle is kept most of the time when not in use. This should really be the same as advised to DVLA on the V5 reg doc. If you give a different address, then you risk having difficulty with a claim, if the need arises. Not saying Insurers would void the Insurance and decline a claim, but you are giving them the opportunity to be awkward with any claim. If the correct address is a higher rated area, then you would have to pay the relevant extra amount, when this is found out.

Not sure I would take the risk personally.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread