Alex v Natwest

Alex Ball
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been trawling through my old Natwest statements for my current account, and also for my old Natwest credit card statements (Have not had this account for a couple of years now).

I can see I have been charged £25 for PAID REFERRAL whatever that means, £14 for going overdrawn and a number of £6 service fees plus £3/£4 interest each time.

Surely if I am overdrawn shouldn't I be paying charges ?. If I paid late shouldn't I be charged £18 ?.

Could somebody just clarify what I can and cannot claim for to help me with my calculations. I have generally been overdrawn almost all of the last 6 years and have interest charges, fees scatted across my statements.

Also looking at sending off for my old Capital One credit card account.

Sorry to be so vague but I am a newby to all of this.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Cumbria that is a help. I am not sure I can claim for that much then as I have a couple of paid referrals for £25 each and an unpaid R/P fee of £30 which I am not sure about. Sounds like the £6 per month service charge before the additional interest for going overdrawn is normal then.

What about £14 unarranged borrowing fee ?. Is that claimable ?.

Is their a link on the forum to show exactly what you can claim and what you can't ?.

Sorry if I sound a bit new to all of this, but I am ! lol

Thanks again.

Thanks for asking that queston Alex as that's exactly what I have been trying to find on here - FAQ's are brilliant but I find I get somewhat "lost". I requested 6 yrs statements on 06.06.06 and still haven't got the courage up to send prelim letter simply because I'm not too sure WHAT I can claim for!

In the earlier statements (2000) there are charges for

1. Unarranged Borrowing Fee (Answered by Cumbria)

2. A/C Fee

3. Paid Referral Fee (Answered by Cumbria)

4. POS - card missuse

5. Debit Interest**

Now more recently they just seem to lump an amount of money - usually £28/38 and call it "Charges".

Ref ** Debit interest is this unclaimable? As it is by far the greater amount of

money just north of £2,000 in six years.

A/C Fee - No, this is a service fee

POS - card missuse - yes

Debit Interest

When you go overdrawn the bank will charge you interest, perfectly lawfully.

However if part of your overdraft is made up of penalty fees, they are also charging you interest on these too and it is this interest which you are entitled to claim back, but it's tricky to separate out from the total interest figure.

Vampiress has a spreadsheet, (the 2nd one), in the bank templates library, which attempts to calculate this

It's quite complex and unless your claim is large often doesn't amount to that much, so for simplicity's sake, some people don't bother

Now more recently they just seem to lump an amount of money - usually £28/38 and call it "Charges". - yes

Thank you very much for that Michael - it is very much clearer now and my husband will take a look at the spread sheet as he, at least, is very good with computers and figures (unlike me). Our total Debit Interest to date (from 2000) is £2079.59. but as all the other charges apart from this add up to £1145 it is well worth us claiming and maybe foregoing the DI.

Once again, your help is very much appreciated, thank you.:)

• 1 month later...

Just waded through my statements and I can't believe how much I lost out in charges to Natwest over the years.

I am not quite whether all or some of these are viable to claim back, so any advices would be greatly appreciated:-

1. Loads of over arranged overdraft charges at £3.50 per day !. (2 at 20 days x £3.50 = £70).

2. Loan Penalty = £18.59 charge

3. Unpaid DD = £27.50

4. Paid Referral = £25.00

5. Unarranged borrowing fee = £14.00

6. Unpaid R/P fee = £30.00

7. Default Notice Fee = £30.00

8. Charges = £10 per month.

I get a total of £795 in fees, plus my 8% column adds up £304. I have not even tried to work out the interest part of the spreadsheet yet.

Comments on the above listed charges and which can be claimed would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Alex

have a read through the FAQ's they will help you.

If the account is a Advatage gold account they do charge you for this I think thats about £10 per month which they are allowed to do.

The other charges they are not e.g

Unpaid DD

Paid Referral

Unarranged borrowing fee

Unpaid R/P fee

Card Misuse

ETc.

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

Cakey thanks for this.

I will take my monthly charges out of the equation, but the rest all looks good to reclaim.

Just need to work out interests on the spreadsheet now, and fire off my next letter.

It is an advantage gold account, although I notice that they now charge £12 per month. I always thought this was because I was just going overdrawn each month, but this is scandalous. How can they charge this ?.

Getting this account closed pronto.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback.

Would anybody who has been through the process, be happy to let me mail them my spreadsheet to have a quick look through and comment accordingly if they feel I am doing something wrong ?.

I welcome any support on this at all as I am eager to fire off my claim now !.

Thanks for all possible helpers !.

Rgds

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Fair play to Natwest they have responded to me within the timeframe with the standard fob off letter saying thanks but no thanks.

Not totally sure what I do now, think I have to fill in the part 4. of the template which is the Court Claim Form ?. Is that correct ?.

As the forum has so many threads I wondered whether somoeone could easily help me without wading through everyones individual threads.

Many thanks as always to the users of this site for help !.

Regards

Alex

Have they responded to your first letter? If so then you must wait for the 14 day deadline to expire then send them the Letter Before Action (you'll find this in the templates).

Don't forget to include a copy of your schedule!!

Good luck:-)

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Thanks for the comments.

I have made my claim for repayment of fees, and got the standard Mr Higley letter saying thankyou, but unfortunately these were the terms agreed etc and they are not paying. This letter included my schedule.

They have therefore replied within the 14 days, so going through the template letters in order of number, it should be the completion of the court claim yes ?.

Rgds

Alex

My LBA is one the way with another copy of my costs summary.

As my amount is around £711 in total before the 8%, have Natwest ever just settled without dragging on until the last minute on smaller amounts like this ?.

Seems that they must realise now they are on to a loser, and must be costing them more in correspondence and wated time, than actually thinking we will go away.

On to my capital one credit card next which I am sure is going to be my big one.

This site is amazing.

Just filed my MCOL which was fine thanks to the great instructions on this site.

Only question I have though is that I could not see anywhere to upload my spreadsheet, and yet my claim has now been submitted with all charges etc.

Do I need to send the court my list of charges somehow and how do I do this now after submitting my claim ?.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alex