• Tweets

• I've an idea that what this is is clearing out stock of old tech panels as there have been signs of major breakthroughs in solar tech - inc what is effectively solar paint   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • ROFL - says a minister of the government that lets its politicians promote their agendas unchallenged and well paid on the UK's version of Russia Today translated UK deputy PM launches global push to mask their election rigging "The UK is following Russia and China on a government minister and MP led process to get paid vast sums to put our message out to the plebs unchallenged, funded via right wing billionaires, AI from foreign states, and misuse of taxpayer money.   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • Yes, but the process starts here... https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/what-to-expect/ This involves making a complaint to GS first before approaching ICO. However, at the time of the complaint, I beleive we'd advise the complainant to ask for some compensation and take it from there. @FTMDave?? No, I meant this forum, The Consumer Action Group, where you're posting right now.😄 (We're in the slow process of rebranding as The National Consumer Service.)
    • Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021. npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279. The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills. I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this. EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.  I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.  And yes, they state their client is EON and that they can return the debt to EON who can either register a default or take me to court. 
    • Thank you guys! @lookinforinfo thank you for the case, it seem to similar with my case which is gold. @Nicky Boy shouldn't be ICO?   Personal data breaches: a guide ICO.ORG.UK   For CAG I found this  The Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) is an independent body which provides expert advice on the use of confidential patient information. This includes providing advice to us, the Health Research Authority (HRA) for research uses. It also provides advice to the Secretary of State for Health for non-research uses.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

When You Get Your Refund

Spiceskull
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6137 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It is important to consider what to do once you have had your money refunded by the bank. If you have raised your claim with the court, and the bank has settled, please do the following:

• Write to the court: notify them that your claim has been settled, and that you now consider the claim closed
  • Write to the bank: thank them for settlement for THIS claim
  • Fill in the survey: BAG needs to know which banks are settling, and how much for
  • PM Dave/BF: let them know that your 'litigation in progress' is now 'litigation concluded'
  • Visit - and use - the donate button: your donation will help keep the site available for other people
  • Go and celebrate :)

(clearly, if you have not raised your claim at court, then you do not need to do the first and fourth tasks...)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

To add to the above post:

Do make sure that the bank really has settled and that you have everything you want, but it is in writing and you have the money. Unfortunately we have had some reports of people withdrawing their claims simply on a verbal promise from the bank which has then gone on to delay or complicate the settlement. In one case the bank agreed verbally to remove a default notice and then later on refused to do so.

Also if you have paid the fee for an allocation questionnaire then make sure you get this back as well. Make it clear to the bank exactly what your costs are and that it is a condition that they will all be received before you withdraw the action. You have to be hard about this and if you want you can explain to them that you do not trust them.

If the banks settlement letter says that the matter is confidential -- that you have not agreed to this then do not worry because you are not bound by any duty of confidentiality.

• 2 months later...

Can I advise MCOl online that halifax have now settled in full or should I write?

HSBC

09th June 2006 - Data Protection Act Request

21st June 2006 - Acknowledgement from HSBC

30th June 2006 - 33 letters arrive - 6yrs statements

01st July 2006 - Preliminary request for £2868.24.

12th July 2006 - HSBC offered me £1995, I declined.

17th July 2006 - LBA sent, now £2970

01st August 2006 - MCOL for £3778 (inc 8% + fees)

08th August 2006 - HSBC defending ....

31st August 2006 - SETTLED IN FULL - Wooooooohoooooo.

Halifax

09th June 2006- Data Protection Act Request

22nd June 2006 - Acknowledgement from Halifax

08th July 2006 6yrs statements arrive.

10th July 2006 - Preliminary request for £1393.08.

21st July 2006 - Halifax offered £115, I declined..

24th July 2006 - LBA sent, now £1421.

08th August 2006 - MCOL for £1822 (inc 8% and fees)

16th August 2006 - SETTLED IN FULL - woooohoooo

• 3 weeks later...

Hedgehogg - Did the bank settle before your court date? I am just trying to work out when I can expect to receive our money back. My LBA was sent on 18thAugust 2006 and I have today had a final NO letter from my bank, I am now preparing to fill in the court papers.

Ray

22/06/2006 sent letter requesting statements to Lloyds TSB.

28/07/2006 statements arrived

01/08/2006 sent initial letter to claim charges of £2872.50

18/08/2006 sent LBA

01/09/2006 Lloyds formally reject my claim and will not enter into any more correspondence relating to my claim.

06/09/2006 N1 form delivered to Carlisle Court

14/10/2006 Allocation questionnaire sent to me after bank lodges a defence

31/10/2006 Allocation questions answered now awaiting a court date to be set

The bank paid up AFTER court proceedings started.. (MCOL filed and paid for)

I have notified them by email that the cases have been paid in full and they have replied acknowlaging this.

HSBC

Halifax

Visit - and use - the donate button: your donation will help keep the site available for other people

This is not always easy...:confused: it took me nearly an hour....

The button on the main home page takes you to paypal with cag details all entered...:D Great.....

The link at the top of the page that says 'donate' however just opens up paypal..with nothing filled in...doesn't tell you who to pay...

its only because I was stubborn that I found it, others would probably have given up long before that point..:o

HSBC

Halifax

just heard from cap 1 re charges willing to refund but no cheque with letter does this come later?? this acct was closed+ paid 2 years ago, but 1 paragragh says £xxxx as been credited to your acct + the balance is now zero+ closed??? any ideas

Write to the court: notify them that your claim has been settled, and that you now consider the claim closed

Write to the bank: thank them for settlement for THIS claim

are there any templates for these as I cannot find them??

many thanks

Damian

Halifax Bank Charges

Sent request for staments 14/06/06

Calculated that Halifax owed me £2111.00

Sent PREM 14/07/06

Sent LBA 01/08/06

Halifax offered £210 as full & final settlement

Sent FLBA 11/08/06

Filed claim at CLCC on 18/08/06

Claim served on 01/09/06

**SETTLED IN FULL 06/09/06**

• 2 weeks later...

done my donation - that was quick and easy!!

do i really need to cancel my claim? i understand that

A. Nothing will happen on a claim unless you request it to. The court will not proceed with any further action against the defendant automatically without your request.

Online Services

& do i really need to inform HSBC??? - they phoned me this morning to offer mer a new 'flexy' account (:p) so i know that they know they they coughed up....

My Thread: HSBC Glee!!!!

18/07/06 - 1st letter delivered by hand : £2,363.00,

01/08/06 - 2nd letter delivered by hand,

15/08/06 - Money Claim Online submitted.... £2,980.47 inc. interest & court cost

21/08/06 - offer of £1998.87 received = too late suckas!!!

22/08/06 - MoneyClaimOnline 'Acknowledged'

06/09/06 - 1st Letter received off D&G solicitors

15/09/06 - full offer made

20/09/06 - full payment + £50 received = £3030.47 :D

not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but barclays and mbna have both paid up without issuing a court claim - that now leaves me with natwest, egg and mint...plus i need to tackle barclaycard over the whole microfiche thing (but i'll follow the advice of others on here). For the other 3 banks i'm ready to issue a claim but will be out of the country for the whole of november - should i issue them now anyway, or wait until i get back? I don't want to process to screw up just because i'm not here to deal with letters etc.

any thoughts?

cheers

barclays Data Protection Act sent 28/4/06 - statements received 9/05/06 and cheque returned. Claim for £480 sent 20/05/06

barclaycard DPA sent 28/4/06 - statement received 13/05/06...with rubbish about microfiche files...further request sent 20/05/06

mbna DPA sent 28/04/06 - list of chargs receieved 19/05/06 and £10 fee returned. claim for £131 sent 20/05/06 PAID IN FULL 14 June!!

lloyds DPA (for OH) sent 2/05/06

NatWest DPA (for OH) sent 29/05/06

egg DPA sent secure email 2/05/06, immediate response, extra form to fill in, waiting for details..

mint DPA sent 21/05/06

• 1 month later...

Is there a template for replying to the bank to thank them for the refund?

Also, if they give you your refund but also give you terms like they'll charge you in future and if you break the contract again then they'll close your account and take away any right to have credit with them, what do you reply to that? Can they do that?

I am worried as I have got a refund for a few hundred pounds for a credit card but the balance is thousands so if they took it away I'd be well and truly screwed!

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
It is important to consider what to do once you have had your money refunded by the bank. If you have raised your claim with the court, and the bank has settled, please do the following:

• Write to the court: notify them that your claim has been settled, and that you now consider the claim closed
  • Fill in the survey: BAG needs to know which banks are settling, and how much for
  • PM Dave/BF: let them know that your 'litigation in progress' is now 'litigation concluded'
  • Visit - and use - the donate button: your donation will help keep the site available for other people

(clearly, if you have not raised your claim at court, then you do not need to do the first and fourth tasks...)

Why would we need to thank the bank? its their fault we are all here isn’t it, or at least their unlawful behaviour!

Why would we need to thank the bank? its their fault we are all here isn’t it, or at least their unlawful behaviour!

Perhaps, but I personally believe it never hurts to be polite and considerate with everybody we have dealings with; regardless of their actions. If your case was handled professionally and politely by the various bank employees and solicitors involved as they carried out their duties, as governed by their employer's policies, then a short note thanking them for this, as well as confirming that you are satisfied with the result, cannot be bad.

Besides, them knowing that you are a happy customer now that they have done the right thing (in returning the charges not, of course, in taking them in the first place) can only help those whose claims are still outstanding.

I think you're missing the point:

Write to the bank: thank them for settlement for THIS claim

Note the "THIS" in the sentence. It serves as a notice that you have accepted settlement up to x date, and does not stop you from pursuing charges later levied. Should they later try to say that you had accepted full and final, then you have a copy of that letter to say: er,... no, actually.

;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Do I need to wait for the bank to write confirming the settlement before I do any of this or can I do it off the back of the money now being in my possession? Thanks

• 1 month later...

I've read in another thread, (posted and received no response) that the bank (Natwest) issued a cheque (lovely) but made the person in question pay it into a designated account (not so lovely). Are they in their legal rights to do such a thing, and if so, is there any way to reject this without the judge being slightly peeved?

Also, if defaulted, is there a way to formally request that it is removed prior to accepting their settlement offer? Do you just happen to pop in a clause in your response to their offer of refund that you will accept on the clear understanding that they will remove the default?

:DSUCCESSESS:D

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

:)CURRENT CLAIMS:)

HALIFAX03

19-SEPT-07 APPLICATION TO HAVE STAY LIFTED

02-OCT-07 APPLICATION REFUSED

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

I've read in another thread, (posted and received no response) that the bank (NatWest) issued a cheque (lovely) but made the person in question pay it into a designated account (not so lovely). Are they in their legal rights to do such a thing, and if so, is there any way to reject this without the judge being slightly peeved?

Also, if defaulted, is there a way to formally request that it is removed prior to accepting their settlement offer? Do you just happen to pop in a clause in your response to their offer of refund that you will accept on the clear understanding that they will remove the default?

ANYONE?:confused:

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

change in the banking code in October to help prevent fraud

Thanks Nattie for the response and I owe you an apology.

'Cause you decided to 'post and run' and didn't leave an explaination I wasn't entirely sure that you were responding to my post.

I have since read another posting by your good self, whereby you left this explaination...

'We were told of a change in the banking code which related to adding additional details onto the cheque ie account number, a an additional fraud prevention measure. So if a cheque is sent through the post and is intercepted that it could not be altered and cashed', ......

and all is now clear.

Thanks and i have pipped you:-)

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Hi there... I didn't know whether to start a new thread or not, so I thought I would just put a quick note here and see if anyone can help.

I have a new problem...

Many of the banks/card companies I am claiming against have begun giving me part payments as a gesture of good will. Obviously I am still persuing them for the full amount owed but now that two of the banks have credited my account automatically, I am now a little unsure how to alter my spreadsheets accordingly.

Can anyone help? I have tried adding the credit as a credit... but it does not change the interest that is increasing daily.

I am stuck... and need a bit of advice here.

I am about to file two of the claims at court, but am unsure of the spreadsheets and new amount owed... I don't want to file it at court if my figures are wrong due to the interest accumilating against charges I have already had a part refund for. ANY ADVICE?

Maxine

Moodle

I've been offered a settlement but no notification of withdrawal of defaults.

Normally I would include a letter saying that this is signed on that condition that any defaults are removed, as per my original request. They have issued a default (for my CC account - I stopped paying when this process began).

Alternatively I could phone the solicitors and tell them they've forgotten something.

Or I could agree, write seperately to the CC division.

Anyone with experience care to advise?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bother but; when you say write to the bank, is it the bank we write to or the solicitors?

I received 2 blank copies of a Notice of Discontinuance from their solicitors asking that i fill that in and return one to them and send one to the court. Do I put a covering letter with this form or just send the form?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi. I am with First Direct and have had charges of £3300

They initially offered £1500 and I said no. They have now offered £1900

1. Do you think I should take them to the Small Claims court and ...

2. In theory, are they not allowed to say charge £12 or so per item? In which case that would take me from 3300 down to 2000 or so as a net excess charge

Don't know....jus need some advice

Thx

Hello i find myself in very unusual situation. i have lamented at length about the nat west being the most difficult bank.

It took 4 months to get 6 yrs of statements

I asked for my money back got the standard "bog off" letter (as i have seen it referred to)

The 14 days expired between xmas and new year and due to this a family holiday, life, having last minute uncertainties,needing to calculate interestand not having the time, i have not yet put N1 form to the court (i was about to in the next week or so) BUT!!!!! today out of the blue an offer has arrived from nat west!!!!!!!!!! A full and final offer of course for £700 less than the total i was requesting which was £10,077.

I know i should nt accept it as full& final but cant remember the implications of why(have looked on site but cant remember where i read this before). So I would like to accept this but how do i write and accept it but not as full & final offer as i have incurred many charges since i started this and dont want to jeopardise getting these back.

Having a blonde moment, not helped by the unprovoked offer from what i considered to be the most difficult bank of all.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6137 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks