• Tweets

• Not at all.  The onus is on them to ensure that their invoice respects the provisions of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 to establish keeper liability.  Which it can't as the area is covered by bye-laws. Spot on. Irrelevant as to whether you entered into a contract with VCS to pay them £100 if you didn't obey what was written on their silly signs. Who cares?  What about their ridiculous generic Particulars of Claim where they deliberately mix up driver and keeper. And where do they mention this?  You haven't shown us anything. Of course you have to prepare a Witness Statement and you'd better get on with it. This is the problem here - you've disappeared for months & months, haven't kept us updated and presumably haven't read other VCS threads.  That needs to change - now. Otherwise you will lose - simple as that. For a start - please upload the court order which fixes the hearing date plus plus where "VCS mentioned my initial defence was generic and clearly copied from the internet".  We're not mind readers.
    • 2nd class stamp only , get free proof of posting from any PO counter dx  
    • Hi,  It has been a long time but I have had confirmation claim will proceed to hearing in roughly 1 months time.  I was wondering if anyone could advise on defence please.  A few questions I have are: 1) I didn't notify VCS that I was not the driver of the vehicle and the judge may look negatively on this point.  I did not receive any direction in correspondence from VCS  that I should inform them if I was not the driver and that was going to be the foundation for may argument on this point. 2) The vehicle is stopped at a zebra crossing.  Based on the images from VCS for around 10 seconds.  At that time there is someone standing near the zebra crossing and someone else enters my vehicle.  I was going to raise the point that stopping at a zebra crossing when someone is standing near it is to be expected.  I was also going to ask the question how you can have a no stopping zone when there are zebra crossings where the driver is required to stop. 3) The no stopping zone is clearly signposted, however, no drop off or pickup is not clearly signposted with one small sign at the zebra crossing, parallel to the road and on the passengers side.  I was going to challenge that no-drop off or pickup is clearly signposted.  4) VCS mentioned my initial defence was generic and clearly copied from the internet.  It covered 1) Claimant not being in a position to state if the Defendant was the driver at the time.  2) No evidence that claimant's contract with landowner supersedes byelaws & signage isn't legally binding contract. 3) No contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on speculative charge. I am interested to know if anyone has had success or been unsuccessful with this 'generic' defence. 5) If I should submit an updated defence to the court based on questions 1, 2 & 3.  Or if it is better to only raise these points in court? Thanks.  Any guidance would be appreciated  
    • I honestly don't know, Baz. In addition what I don't  understand (from that pamphlet) is this: The s88 criteria are quite clear and don't need a medical professional to interpret them . The one most relevant to his topic says that an application is not a "qualifying application" if a relevant disability has been declared. The problem with the word "may" is how does the applicant establish whether me "may" driver under s88 when he has not complied with its conditions? I don't know the answer to that either. But to further muddy the waters, the pamphlet says this (about : But the s88 statute says absolutely nothing like that at all. It simply says that if you have declared a relevant disability s88 does not apply. The DVLA pamphlet is simply confusing as far as I can see. That's actually my opinion and that's what I would stick to if it was me making the application. But I'll seek a few opinions from others over the next couple of days.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Respondent's legal Fee threat in employment tribunal ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid them to draft the original forms way back,I think that was about £90. Then just about 6 weeks ago (once the respondent hadn't paid) I chose the representation option,I had to pay another £97 and as I said sign over 30% of any payout. I've not met them at all,but up until now they've been okay,now my mail is ignored and all I get is a promise of return call,clearly they know my case sucks and they have bigger fish to fry. I'm just going to see if I can get the money back,I'm not that hopeful !

Edited by hedgehog1234

I don't know if they are or not to be honest - I guess it's reasonably easy to find out ? I've not had any notification of a pre-hearing,just the bundle exchange letter which was last week. As you can probably gather I was under the illusion that everything was being taken care for me,which is why I was willing to give up 30%. Now I'm having to get up to speed on the process,which is difficult,what with earning a living etc.

Does this company have a website?

How far along are you, ET wise? Has anything been scheduled?

Received an ET response from the employer?

How come I just keep asking questions?

Do I actually have an opinion about anything?

Why do I hate my ex wife?

Aye. I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that lot. Keep trying with them, see if you can get something back.

Seems like they charge ya the best part of £100 just for a form that's on the ET website to fill in for free.

Could you afford to instruct a solicitor, even just for a consultation, £200?

Do you have household insurance that might include legal cover?

Are you in full-time gainfull?

Yer I'm going to call them in the morning and ask for a refund. I guess I could speak to a solicitor but to be honest I'd hoped going thru this firm would have made the respondent pay out before now,that was my plan,epic fail ! So my feeling is that I could be throwing good money after bad,that's why I'm just looking to represent myself,after all they can't hang me !

Can I ask how long you've had to wait for your case to be heard as I've been waiting a long time for mine (Oct 08 when I put my claim in and was accepted)....Also,I've had no pre-hearing reveiw?whats that all about...i did have a date in June but it was postponed at the other sides request and when I last spoke to the E/T they were looking to schedule it for Dec but i haven't heard anything yet

Hi Greendollar ! I'm not sure about a pre-hearing review,as far as I know that is something you have to request,rather than it being mandatory ? I think you're in the right forum but probably the wrong thread to get an accurate answer to that question. I put my claim in way back in May,these things clearly take time huh ! Let us know how you get on :O)

Thanks for the reply hedgehog,

I will keep an eye on how your getting on,my E/T bundle went in over 6 montha ago but I'm lucky as I have a union sorting my claim out.I've had several letters from my former employer threatening cost and stating my claim has no merit and little chance of succeeding but a stern reply from the union stating...."your threat of a request for an order for costs against him is a common tactic used to scare off claimants.....and I hope that the tribunal will consider the appropriateness or otherwise of your attempt to intimidate".

Good luck with your claim and don't be put off by their threats.

Edited by greendollar

Does this company have a website?

How far along are you, ET wise? Has anything been scheduled?

Received an ET response from the employer?

How come I just keep asking questions?

Do I actually have an opinion about anything?

Why do I hate my ex wife?

PMSL I thought I was seeing things! It's good to laugh after a long day. Thanks elpulpo. :D

PS I don't know the answers to your questions. :D

• 8 months later...

Hi,I'm back here again ! Could someone please help ? My hearing has been set for next month,naturally Tribunal Action didn't inform me (they had said they were trying to get a settlement but when I did eventually manage to get to speak to them they said they wanted an extra £1000) so now I'm in a bit of a state to say the least. I'll keep this brief :

Notice of orders - I've been told I need to comply ? How ? I've just emailed the tribunal hoping they might clarify this for me.

Many thanks once again (all this time later - how mad is this !)

:)

Hi,I was told about the notice of orders by the Acas conciliator. As I mentioned I've asked the Tribunal by email for an outline of where I am right now. As for Tribunal Action - they are a waste of space,I'm not sure how much I've paid them in truth,not that much but more than enough. I'm going to pursue them for compensation now. Thanks again.

I don't know much about your claim but Constructive Dismissal is very hard to prove.

If, by some way of chance, TAUK were to make a complete hash of this, you could have a claim against them for professional negligence.

The fact that they are not Solicitors would be irrelevant, since they have held themselves out as being Employment Law experts, capable of running your claim.

I don't know much about your claim but Constructive Dismissal is very hard to prove.

If, by some way of chance, TAUK were to make a complete hash of this, you could have a claim against them for professional negligence.

The fact that they are not Solicitors would be irrelevant, since they have held themselves out as being Employment Law experts, capable of running your claim.

Thanks - I'm aware that these cases can be hard to prove but I firmly believe that mine can be won.I'm also looking into the case against TA very closely. Thanks again - Just waiting to see what the Tribunal say now :O)

Hi again - I've emailed the Tribunal to confirm that Tribunal Action are no longer representing me and asking for some guidance regards where I need to be (the hearing is late next month) in terms of paperwork (Tribunal Action have everything and appear not to be willing to return it) but as of yet I've had no response. Could someone please point me in the right direction ? What will I need to represent my self ? Thanks again -

Hi,

You should request that all documents in 'Tribunal Action' possession be returned to you as a matter of urgency, if not already done.

As per 'Tribunal Action UK', it is a trading title of Action Direct (UK) Limited. Their business is authorised by the Regulator (MoJ) to provide regulated claims management services. You may want to contact the MoJ and raise a complaint about the services and advices provided to your during the management of your case.

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Thanks Bigredbus - TA are a difficult bunch to get hold of,the phone is busy all day,I mean constantly and when one does get a ring tone is just rings and rings.If you're lucky enough to get an answer its always someone who's "just standing in" or "doesn't know anything about your case and will ask someone to come back to you" of course this never happens. I've asked for my documents twice now over the phone and by email several times,no reply. I made a scan of most of the stuff before it went off but I don't have the ET1 form (I think the Tribunal will provide a copy but as yet they to haven't replied me). When I left my job way back in April 2009 I was exhausted,I'd been working extremely long hours under unreasonable pressure. I went with TA without researching them,but in truth at first they seemed okay. Are TA obliged to return my documents ? I get the feeling they've binned them :O)

• 3 weeks later...

Me again ! The tribunal sent me the docs I've been unable to recover from Tribunal Action and a list of organizations that might advise me for free - two questions please :

• What organizations are the best and quickest (my case is in 3 weeks)

• Is it actually worth speaking with any of these "free" advice lines ?

Thanks ! To be honest I've managed to retrieve most of what I need from email attachments and stuff I found on old memory sticks etc. So now I'm just getting to grips with the prospect of representing myself. The case seems quite straight forward - they made me work very long hours with no break and when I complained they made my life hell - so I left. My problem is proving what happened as my grievances were made verbally (my argument is that I want to resolve the situation and not have to leave,so I tried to negotiate a resolution verbally,which made it worse) and not in writing. They made a bit of a botch of the grievance meeting in truth so I'm hoping that I can prove my situation was genuine.

However,yesterday I received another letter from the respondent asking for the final docs etc and warning that the estimated costs against me were now potentially £8000+ (should I worry ?) I've told them I'm not concerned and will continue regardless and that I'm also looking at a personal injury claim (undue stress etc) - is this realistic ?

Tonight I'm putting together my claim against TA in an email to [email protected]

I'm starting to enjoy this process now :O)

I'll look into the law centre (thank you) but as stated I have very little time and I have to work everyday up until the hearing - So I'm guessing they probably won't be very flexible ?

If there's anyone here that wants to earn a days money by representing me (one day it will be thru I'm thinking) then please PM me. :lol: