Speeding Ticket from Spain?!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi has anyone got a conclusive answer on the speeding ticket from Spain question.I too received one on the 18th of November from a holiday I had in Menorca in August.Once again the speed quoted was 70km in a 50km limit.However the photo is inconclusive as to whether the car was moving or not , but the rear of the speeding notice looks like a bad photocopy of a legal notice.However the date and time shown for the offence on the front of the notice could easily be right.

The website seems genuine but can only be used by Spanish nationals or residents of Spain - so it seems to me that if the speeding notice were real there would be an option for non residents of Spain to pay.

Any conclusive info would be helpful as I'm going back to Menorca next year. Thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Spain for at least 6 month each year so I'm reasaonably familair with events there. Spanish authorities take a different view to speeding drivers compared to the UK. Generally speed cameras are very few and far between in Spain and you will definately be forewarned when in operation. From memory only the larger cities have a few cameras installed on motorways, not the Islands.

My immediate view is that it's probably another [problem] by East Europeans who love target the Brits and French. Secondly, it definately can't be enforceable as the Spanish authorities have no juristiction here in the UK.

My considered opinion is to bin the ticket.

The same way that they have from T-mobile!

Sam

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a ticket (I'm a previous poster at the start of the thread), so I contacted my friends who live on the island of Mallorca.

They paid the ticket for me, using their individual Spanish ID number, and I sent them the money via wire transfer.

As they are residents on the island, I'm sure they would've said if it was a hoax.

We should know all about parking/speeding scams as this forum is full of PPCs, fraudulent Councils by the 100's and a Government that has a clash with reality when they get caught stealing money from thier expenses.

' Wont me guv, cos a checked wi office an av dun nowt wrang, tha noz worra mean, but al pay back all them millions av nicked overt years . It wor Bigsy that teld me ar to do it.'

I

They paid the ticket for me,

As they are residents on the island, I'm sure they would've said if it was a hoax.

Why would they know that?

Most people in the UK don't know about the PPC [problem], so why do you think someone living in Mallorca would know about a [problem] being perportrated against UK residents?

Why would they know that?

Most people in the UK don't know about the PPC [problem], so why do you think someone living in Mallorca would know about a [problem] being perportrated against UK residents?

Spot on Crem.

I think you parted with your money to easily.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

just clicked the link to the DGT site, i dont know spanish but managed to dig through to the 'contact us' page and funnily enough you cant! gives some rubbish about no one being available... no email address, no phone number nothing.

having read the other posts, im with the majority here - [problem]!

Just had a look myself............

"Se ha producido un error al cargar la página. Puede que el servidor esté saturado.

Intente acceder a este recurso más tarde.

Disculpe las molestias"

Means...........

"An error occurred loading the page. It can the server be saturated.

Try to access this resource later.

We apologize for any inconvenience"

In other words..........

[problem] [problem] [problem]!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

It has now been 6 months since my holiday to Menorca, and I have received a second 'speeding ticket'. Again it came recorded delivery and looks very similar to the first one. However, this time, it had an official looking pink slip of paper stuck to the back of the envelope and a much larger copy of the photograph of the hire car printed on the back of the letter. It doesn't seem to have a postmark though, which I'm not sure whether it should have, being a foreign letter?

Again, it states that I was doing 70.2km/h in a 50km/h zone and they want either 70 or 100 Euros, I'm not sure which (as I don't speak flipping Spanish!).

Interestingly, the photograph doesn't seem to show anyone inside the car, although I have to admit it is a poor copy. As there were 4 of us at all times, I find it difficult to believe that not one head can be seen through the back window, which leads me to wonder whether it is a picture of the car parked up, cleverly pasted into the Spanish background scene! Also, there is only one photograph and no markings on the road, so how do they confirm that the vehicle was exceeding the speed limit using the old 'speed = distance / time'? Or is it a different method of calculation over there?

I'm still not convinced whether it's genuine or not. But seeing as though they can't be bothered to write to me in English, I cannot possibly be subjected to a fair trial as I cannot appeal to their courts, and they have not provided a simple method of payment; I am certainly not going to pay up.

My only real concern is that I visit Menorca every year and if it is genuine, I really do not want to get arrested or given an inflated on-the-spot fine when I land next time. Thinking about it though, how would they know upon presenting my passport at passport control; that I am the person from the hire car last year? Sure they have my address, but that's not printed on my passport...

I have tried my utmost to ascertain whether the thing is genuine, conducting research on the net, posting on here, contacting the hire car company (who had no idea about it) and even the AA (who didn't bother to reply) but no-one can say for definite.

If anyone could shed any light as to whether these Spanish fine thingys hold a power of arrest for non-payment, I would be grateful to find out.

Many thanks,

JRP1414

Ok, with the help of a scanner, some free character recognition software and a language translator (nice one Google), I have sort of managed to translate the bulk of the document. I have no idea what half of it means, but it doesn't seem to say what the sanctions are if you fail to pay. There is certainly no mention of arrest! Likewise, Google allows you to translate the www.dgt.es website, but again, there is nothing that I can find on there which says what happens if you don't pay. So I'm lost!

--

Upon learning this Headquarters through photographic evidence of the facts stated above, has started disciplinary record

under the number which is also indicated, being the instructor of the procedure body Sanctions Unit Treatment Center

Automated reports and the appropriate body for resolution the Director of the Center for Automated Processing of Complaints

delegation of the Chief Provincial Traffic Balearic Islands (B1). P. 'No. 28 of 26.02.08), in accordance with the provisions of etartículo 68.1

Text Articles of the Traffic Act, Motor Vehicle Traffic and Road Safety approved by Royal Legislative Decree 339/1990,

2 March, which is served on the right letting him know that it has, in accordance with Article 12 of Regulation

Sanctioning Procedure, approved by Royal Decree 320/1994 of 25 February, to plead in writing to the Treatment Center

Automated Complaints, PO Box 505 24080 or fax LEON No 902 512 151, with input or proposition of the evidence

deems appropriate, within fifteen business days following the receipt of this notification, which in its defense

appropriate.

The fine, whose amount is entered in the appropriate box may be paid voluntarily within 30 days

natural following receipt of this notification, with a reduction of 30% of its value, and the amount to pay for that

reduction of 70.00 euros, and this will make him the waiver of claims, as provided in Articles 67.1 and 77.2 of the

that law, and the completion of the procedure without the need to take special resolution, without prejudice to the possibility of bringing the

corresponding resources.

If not paid in the manner indicated, or make arguments in the specified period, the institution of proceedings will be considered

draft resolution, as prescribed by section 13.2 of the Rules of procedure for the exercise of disciplinary powers,

approved by Royal Decree 1398/1993 of 4 August, with the effects specified in Articles 18 and 19 of that standard.

This file will expire one year after its initiation unless there are grounds for suspension (Article 81.2 of the Articles of the Law Text

on Traffic, Motor Vehicle Traffic and Road Safety, approved by Legislative Royal Decree 339/1990 of 2 March).

Information line: 902 508 686

LEON January 15, 2010

THE HEAD OF SANCTIONS CENTER UNIT

I cannot possibly be subjected to a fair trial as I cannot appeal to their courts,

Under Eurozone Law you can be taken to court in a member state / country and have damages awarded against you. The proceedings either in writing or verbal will be in the language of that country so if you are not fluent there is little chance to defend yourself thanks to our beloved government signing most of our rights away

Fortunately to proceed with a claim against you as a UK national who is resident in the UK it would then have to be transferred to the UK legal system and at that point you would then be given the opportunity to deny / defend it and present any supporting evidence.

A problem could however arise if you owned property in the country in question assuming of course that this is not a [problem].

I have had this happen via my business so it it is fact.

Having been flashed in France on several occasions with no follow up here in the UK I have to wonder if this is not an elaborate [problem].

Having been flashed in France on several occasions with no follow up here in the UK I have to wonder if this is not an elaborate [problem].

It most certainly IS a [problem].

The reason the car looks like its been copy/pasted, is that is has been copy/pasted, and the reason you cant see anyone in the car on the photo is that you were not driving the car in the photo!

Have a look at 'The Real Hustle' Season 4 episode 12.

Have you tried contacting the Spanish Embassy about this, or even the company you originally hired the car from?

Edited by Startkey&Clutch

I received my 2nd copy of the ticket on Saturday , my postman says he has delivered quite a few over the last couple of years and he has to scan in the signature on the flysheet as proof of receipt.The ticket itself shows a much bigger picture of the car on the road , on a stretch of road I remember well , with the time and date of the offence given being the time when we would be travelling that stretch of road.When you go to the website to pay there are now a number of new options to choose from rather than Spanish national or resident. The list now includes passport suggesting non residents of Spain can use it!

On other websites I've viewed a number of people have given their tickets to friends living in Spain who have paid the fines at the local post office on their behalf - so still confused as to whether it is real or [problem].The only reason I am still concerned about it is that I go to Menorca each year and if the ticket is genuine then my passport details would have been provided by the car hire company and if (big if!!) passport control scan in the passport on arrival I could be hit with an even bigger on the spot fine etc.

Ive Googled it after watching the Tv programme, and its well know. Even if they had your passport, how do they know who was driving???

If friends in Spain pay these fines for people theres no wonder they keep sending them out!!!

[problem]!!!!!

Please yourself if you want to pay it, but personally, I wouldnt be worried.

Contact the Spanish embassy and see what they say......

If one might have been speeding and might have been caught would it be detrimental to one's case to contact the Spanish embassy in London to find out if the ticket is legit? If it's a [problem] and enough people pester the embassy maybe the embassy staff will get fed up enough to have a word with their colleges back home

OK, I mentioned earlier that I belive this is a [problem].

To your posting of yesterday at 22.39, from your translation three things do not stack up, first the Automated complaints address of Leon which is in Northern Spain and nowhere near the Balerics, second, the telephone number stated is a Madrid number and not a Leon or Minorca number and thirdly, local provinces collect their own fines, they are not handled centrally.

The more I read your posting the more I'm convinced it's another con.

With regards being worried about your next visit, the authorities are far too busy monitoring foreign visitors for for terrorism at the moment, I'm very sure parking fines will be way down on their list of priorities.

Honestly, just throw it away.