Leaking Windows

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We had our front windows replaced 3 years ago with new PVC ones. These were provided by someone who we knew personally and ran a succesful conservatory business. However all payments were made directly to him and not the business. Since having them installed we have had countless problems with them leaking and the guy has been out on several occasions and applied more silicone around the edge of the windows in an attempt to seal them. After the recent rains they have leaked again. I have contacted the guy who manufactured and installed the windows to complain about the ongoing problem. His response this time was basically we have done all we can to try an resolve the issues and there is nothing more that they can do.

My question is now do I have any legal recourse to his company which he owns or do I have to persue him individually bearing in mind how the payments were made. If someone has an answer then it would be very much apprecited and also how would I start the ball rolling.

Many Thanks

As you paid the guy directly (not his firm) your complaint will be with him alone. As for saying there's not much else they can do - windws these days (especially sealed unit PVC frames) the only way for water ingress is with the sealing around the frame, and as this has been undertaken a few times, it looks as though this has been done, but not well.

Assuming the frame is correctly sized for the hole, then instead of adding sealant on top of sealant (the usual remedy), the secret is to remove all vestiges of the old sealer as far as possible, and start again from scratch. Are you noticing any draughts too? If so, the hole may be requiring packed, and then re-sealed. It may seem like a monumental task but ut usnlt really, and inview of the cost of selant - tell the guy he really needs to start again as the original sealant will probably be needing replaced anyway (especially if exposed to sunlight).

Thanks for the replies so far. Connif I have to say I did not get any receipt from either him as an individual or the company. Buzby it is as thought that I will need to deal with him as an individual and great advice on the sealant etc I will sugest this to him.

Can you remember when they installed the windows if the sealed all around the frames with expanding foam? once the foam has set it should be trimmed back and silicone sealant used to finish the around all joints between the window frame and opening.

Once you have removed the silicone if there isn't any foam I'd suggest you squirt some in prior to re-sealing with silicone

You can buy a silicone eater - screwfix do one (I've never use it myself so can say if it works or not) that is design to remove a existing silicone (presume you would then need to wash window frames to remove traces of the eater) and then re-seal with new silicone