unjust charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3587 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

after almost 2 month i have received a reply which states:

the supreme court decided that as long as they are clearly set out, the level of unarranged overdraft fees cannot be assessed for fairness under the unfair terms in consumer contract regulations.

we believe you feel the charges are unfair and high however the outcome of the legal proceedings means theses fee are not penalties and under regulations the level of the fee is a reason for finding them unfair!?!?!

as a result we won’t be upholding your complaint or providing a refund of the fees.

please advsie what i can to from here as theses *ankers have taken over £450 from me and telling is it not unfair! is there anything that can be done?????

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...
Hi,

I have received a letter from Halifax in the post for a loan i took out just about 6 years ago.

It is a form to fill about Payment Protection Insurance.

I remember taking the loan out on the internet,

but obviously I can't remember ticking a box for PPI or an explanation about why I need to take it out.

The fact that they have sent me a letter suggests I may have a case to reclaim this money.

Can anyone advise on what grounds I would have to claim this back?

I have filled on some of the forms, and have my document checklist of CCA,

Policy Booklet and Demands and Needs Statement.

I was part-time when I took the loan out and I still am.

The questions I am not sure what to answer with are:-

Why did you decide to take out a PPI Policy?

Why are you unhappy with your policy?

What information were you given before you took out the insurance?

Can anyone guide me as to what type of answers i am looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a great forum,

sometimes there is too much information to take in!

Thanks

Jane

I have received the same letter.

I do want to claim back the PPI but not sure how to answer the same questions above to get a result.

What actually happened is the fact i took the PPI only on the basis that i can cancel it within 30 days

but when i did call back to cancel i was told that i need to do a new loan application !??!?!

I'm sure it was within the 30 day period.

but legally they should have canceled it.

i don remember receiving document on the cancellation policy of the PPI etc.

own thread created

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

pers i'd never use their forms

use the FOS questionnaire

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I had a similar letter. Completed and returned the forms as they asked, sent April 30th.

Also sent a SAR to Hx, so I can check for myself before accepting any offer. I know there were excessive charges made, prior to the OFT £12 ruling. They also messed me about back in 2006 after I had lost my job. They took payments for the card from my bank account, making direct debits for electricity and gas bounce as I was having to borrow money from family as I received no benefits. I got into all sorts of trouble, but they didn't take any notice of putting the account in dispute.

I'm quite looking forward the seeing the SAR, and claiming back any charges and interest added, as well as the PPI. Yes, they passed the account on to a debt collection agency but it's now statue barred. :madgrin:

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Joox - if this is what you were told by Halifax regarding cancellation, then this should be the basis of your complaint

I was going to to mention this but cant remember if i was sent full terms of the PPI and cancellation policy along with the loan. I don't want to mess things up.

and what does it matter how the loan was used ?

The information that they gave you verbally was misleading - whether or not they also gave you the correct information in small print at a later date would not over-rule this.

In terms of what the loan was used for, this is generally not something that would greatly affect the case. However if you were consolidating debts and thus more likely to consolidate again in the near future this would make a single premium policy more unsuitable

• 1 month later...

I returned the Halifax PPI form about a months ago and recently received a phone call which pretty much asked the same questions. I was told I will receive a letter soon with their decision. have not heard anything. how long does this process normally take?

Give them a call and ask - you'll need your claim reference, which is on the letters they send.

0800 151 0293 if a freephone number, 0845 601 4034 is on their letters and that comes back as 0113 279 8302 on the SayNoTo0870 site :-)

I sent my forms 30th April and got the offer on 10th June, the cheque arrived on the 21st June.

Edited by hillards
added date of cheque arrival

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

ok so I have back and they have made an offer.

my loan was around £3500 over 6 years ago.

what amount would be reasonable ad acceptable in your opinion?

how would we know?

have you got the statements

or

the agreement to check it?

dx

and they

ok so I have back and they have made an offer.

my loan was around £3500 over 6 years ago.

what amount would be reasonable ad acceptable in your opinion?

Impossible to say as we don't know any of the details that they will have used to work out their offer.

In my case I accepted their offer as I was unable to work it out fully from the pile of information they sent me when I did a SAR. The statements and original agreement were there, but I don't have a maths degree and the figure they offered me was slightly higher than what I had anticipated.

It will depend on what amount of PPI was applied, if you kept up with payments, if the account defaulted, what direction the wind was blowing at 6.41am on April 1st...

Only you will know what is reasonable and acceptable.

thanks..Just wanted to know a ball park figure from the other refunds.

Will try to read through all the paper work and try to work out. I was hoping for slightly more round number but i will probably accept their offer.

Every claim is different, not just the original amount borrowed and the amount of PPI applied but also the date when the loan started, how many payments were made and much more.

The company lending the money know those figures, you may do too, but unless you've gone into a lot more detail on here in sharing that sort of information, we can't tell you if you would get a penny or a million quid. You can't even make comparisons with similar cases as they would not have the same figures and could be older or newer than yours. Time is a factor when working out percentages on the interest.

A value of £100 from exactly 10 years ago to the day would attract interest at 8% of £115.98, making a claim on £100 worth £215.98. But, if the claim was only 5 years old that same £100 would only give 8% interest of £46.96, a total of £146.96.

If you had all your statements and everything you could have worked it out, there are plenty of guides here on CAG, including those in dx100uk's signature ;-)

• dx100uk changed the title to unjust charges