CRB Checks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently was disimissed - (well is say that, I recieved a letter saying they didnt need me any more no reason given even though I had just done 3 good months with them delivering meals to old, and infirm people) -from the WRVS meals on wheels as a volunteer driver.

When i made enquiries as to why it was because something came up on a enhanced CRB check, something i didnt even know about as it was so long ago. Thing is this offence I did occured when i was 15 yrs old, I am now 51?? so it was 36 years ago, so what can i do about it? WRVS would not discuss it with me which i am not happy about, also should the Police have released this information being so long ago. It seems a rediculous situation to be in being as I have not commited any offences since then which was in 1974. by the way the offence was i stole £100 from an amusement arcade

John

Edited by Pajeroone
more info

Hi Keith, when a crb or enhanced crb are done, you should also get a copy of it sent to your home. Also because your working with vulnerable people I dont think there is any time limit on anything that might effect an employers decision to employ you, but 36 years ago? I just wonder what it might be that has shown up on your enhanced crb at that age to give them reason to not employ you?

Hi Keith, just to let you know, my mother works for CRB, and she said that when an enhanced CRB check request is made, it doesn't matter how long ago any arrest, caution, etc. was, they will show up. The initial check doesn't have details, it just comes up with the arrest, caution, etc. It doesn't say what for. The CRB check is then sent to the police for them to complete their part of it, the "enhanced" part, which will have the details.

I do agree though, that 36 years is a long time, and really should be forgotten about. I'm going to see my mum on wednesday night. If you want, I can ask her for her opinion on it and see what she can advise?

Do please ask your mum for me. From what I have now heard the police are supposed to whats called "step down" any convictions that are over 20 years old, therefore they would not show up on an enhanced check unless they were really serious IE you had a prison sentence so why wasnt this done in my case?

J

Hi Keith, just to let you know, my mother works for CRB, and she said that when an enhanced CRB check request is made, it doesn't matter how long ago any arrest, caution, etc. was, they will show up. The initial check doesn't have details, it just comes up with the arrest, caution, etc. It doesn't say what for. The CRB check is then sent to the police for them to complete their part of it, the "enhanced" part, which will have the details.

I do agree though, that 36 years is a long time, and really should be forgotten about. I'm going to see my mum on wednesday night. If you want, I can ask her for her opinion on it and see what she can advise?

Thats interesting. I've a CRB check with nothing noted of interest on it, but have three police cautions in my youth (all under age of 18 ) and I'm now 32. Strange that I have nothing from 16 odd years ago, but this chap does, from over 30 years ago.

This space intentionally left blank

Hi, I was cautioned by the council for benefit fraud 2 years ago of £320. My partner failed to inform them of changes 2 months into my new job- with the council. We paid the £320 too. Because my name was also on the application form we accepted the caution as was so shocked and ashamed and outraged at him for not telling them in time. I was working in schools at the time was called in to explain myself and they understood what had happened.I continued and qualified as a teacher. However I was so afraid of the caution showing up on a CRB I didn't want to work. Now I would like to know if that caution will show up in a check, so should I just declare it if applying for a job teaching.I would be appreciate any words of wisdom.

What my mum said was, when a CRB check is done, arrest, cautions, etc. come up, and are only used if relevant to the job being applied for. For example, if you stole money, then applied for a job in a bank, then they would flag the caution as relevant.

She did say, unforunately, an arrest will show up, and even though you weren't convicted and released on no charge, the arrest would still flag up, so it's basically like having a caution, whih I think is wrong.

The absolute best place to contact is www.unlock.org.uk - they are a fantastic charitable organisation who help people experiencing similar problems to yourself.

Read, join their forum, or give them a call.

They will answer any questions you have, and will go out of their way to help resolve your problem.

Hi, I was cautioned by the council for benefit fraud 2 years ago of £320. My partner failed to inform them of changes 2 months into my new job- with the council. We paid the £320 too. Because my name was also on the application form we accepted the caution as was so shocked and ashamed and outraged at him for not telling them in time. I was working in schools at the time was called in to explain myself and they understood what had happened.I continued and qualified as a teacher. However I was so afraid of the caution showing up on a CRB I didn't want to work. Now I would like to know if that caution will show up in a check, so should I just declare it if applying for a job teaching.I would be appreciate any words of wisdom.

I may be completely wrong here and I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong but I dont think this will come up. You say you were only cautioned by the council. Were you arrested or where the police involved?

Can you do your own crb and see if anything comes back?

I would hate to think you spent years training and are to scared to seek employment in your chosen field for nothing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello all, can somebody please help me. Iv been called for an interview as a customer advisor in a bank. As I had earlier told u my worries for not getting the job because of my conviction, as they were going to do a crb and credit check. Today the recruiters called to say my crb came back clear!? How is that possible???? I'm so confused :s I'm elated but Dnt understand how thats possible? Iv got a face to face interview with them next. Obviously if it has come back clear, I'm not going to question it as I believe it's a sign for my second chance at life. But can any1 please help me with comprehending this, could they make mistakes like this? Thanks.

Hi there,

This is not possible, the waiting time on a CRB check at the moment is running at 8 weeks and you have not even signed the consent form from Barclays so this is blatantly not the truth, so someone is obviously given you false and possibly fraudulent information, even if they had managed to beat the system and jump the que, {which I doubt, I deal with CRB checks every week and have never managed to yet, perhaps they could give me a few tips, } the fact is that it is impossible for you not to have a criminal record, it is against the law and I am sorry to say this, but if you don't inform them of the clerical error then you are committing a very serious fraudulent breach of the law yourself as you in not declaring this, would be knowingly attempting to pervert the course of justice.

This kind of Fraud under certain conditions can be considered worse than theft and you can in theory even get a prison sentence, especially if they take into account your previous conviction for theft still being active and outside your five year Tariff. I think, that SarEl is probably far better placed to be able to give us the correct information and legal standpoint on that, but Fraud nevertheless is a very serious crime and that is what you would be committing and you have just admitted considering it on an open forum as well to boot, not good, remember ignorance it never a defense in the eyes of the law.

The Tarriff on your crime before it becomes spent is 5 years, during this period of time it is your civil a legal duty to inform any and all employers who legally require a CRB check of your criminal conviction, and once Barclays know this it is their legal duty under the Banking Code of Practice not to employ so as to safeguard their customers from any potential risk. You talk about being rehabilitated and a law abiding citizen in one sentence, but then are quite prepared to immediately breach the law in the next in an even more dishonest way just so you can get the job you want that is a little bit contradictory, knowingly or not.

A person who is truly rehabilitated obeys the law and the law states that you have to inform all Employers who require a CRB check that you have a criminal record and what for, for the next five years, it is your duty. Are the Recruiters part of Barclays? or an external agency? like the one, I work for, if it is an external agency then they are now severely in breach of my professions licensing lawa as we have to obey very strict rules. You need to be careful here, and if they are not prepared to give you logical straight forward answers that have some modicum of truth in them, then just leave and look for work elsewhere, with a more trustworthy and reputable agency.

I know this is very hard for you but a job a Barclays is not only simply not on the cards but also to be fair totally out of the question, my Associate who is a senior manager for Barclays HR is now monitoring the forum and she will open up a full internal investigation into all those involved if you take this any further, so it is best that you just except that you have a criminal record for five years and look for more appropriate working, more befitting of your current legal status.

If you do require any assistance with finding a career path despite your conviction I would be delighted to help you in my professional capacity I have some two year apprenticeships in corporate environments that I may be able to get you into, some even come with accommodation if you have to move into London and all include day and night-classes at college.

Kind Regards & Best Wishes ~ A

PS, SarEl I would really appreciate your professional opinion on this one, if you online tomorrow, as I feel in my experience that it could be now getting quite serious.

Edited by itbloke
Spelling Mistakes Damn my Dyslexia.

Oh my god, I must be getting fooled then! That's what I was told that crb takes 8-12 weeks so I think this friend of mine is taking advantage. There is no way in hell am I willing to take such a huge risk in getting in trouble agen so ges I'm going to kindly decline the interview. You would know better so I'm going to go with what your saying. It's not barclays directly but an agency and they asked for a fee of £150 for the crb checks?? I'm only 20 and wouldn't know better hence the reason I seek your wise opinions here. I think I'm being taken for a ride. I thot it was too good to be true. Can't believe what a fool Iv been. Please, I want to stay out of trouble and do something constructive with my life. Can u help me??? Iv spoken to my local govt workplaces but I have to pay for it which is difficult without a job. I was considering some further training however an apprenticip sounds good if I get paid? Please can u give more details. I desperately want to do well in life and I understand my options r now limited but can u direct me into how limited and the sorts of career I can pursue? It would be much appreciated. I thot this whole thing sounded too good to be true, probs cos it bloody well was! I'm so angry my friend cud do this knowing I believed it was genuine. All that money as well. I'm struggling to find some ground, please some1 can u help me I just want to work and earn an honest living. Help me please, I feel so helpless. This was clearly a [problem] by the sound of it. Iv handed over money without evn seeing him. I know him as a friend tho I havnt seen him in years  please can some1 help me with the options available to me?

Lm

Hi there again,

Very simple, love us or hate us, you simply don't pay the Recruitment Agency, the client we are finding candidates for does, you should never pay for a CRB check, your employer should when they offer you the position and they should have got you to sign a formal release first which they obviously have not. This Agency sounds very fraudulent, if you let me know their name I will gladly report them to our licensing body for providing false information, they are clearly in breach of at least one of our licensing regulations, my industry does not always have the best reputation and I don't like any body furthering this perception. So am quite happy to help.

As to an apprenticeship, really happy to help but we don't need any money for it, we get that from the employer if we place you, however a modern apprenticeship is as it says and apprenticeship, if you go for one in London you will get your accommodation and travel provided plus a basic cost of living allowance, ie for food and clothes plus of course London waiting, but all your college and exam fees will be paid. So you will not have much money for two years however you would gain, valid real time experience, qualifications, a reference and possibly even a permanent job at the end of it, however it is two years of hard work for little financial reward.

My company operates a scheme and we even insist on the apprentice taking on voluntary community work as well in their spare time, and we still have over 30 applicants for every place. Would be glad to put you forward for a few official interviews even for my company, if you would be willing to train while you work. Hope that this is some help to you, hope to hear from you soon,

Kind Regards & Best Wishes - A

Thank you so much for your reply. Would I be given a chance if I decide to train further considering il still jabe the conviction? I Dnt want to think il give two years in to this then no1 still employs me cos of my mistake? The prob is cos I live alone (have no family, left home after the sentence, too much shame for my family to bear) il need more than basic needs will I not be getting paid at all other than the basics u mentioned? I was considering university but what would you suggest?

With the agency I think I will report them after they return my money first. I'm not letting any1 take advantage of my goodwill and desperation to do well in life keeping out of trouble! I trusted every word they said. I will report them certainly. But I have no proof of the money I handed them as it wasn't directly from me, did a bank transfer to my friend who passed it on to the agency as his friend was from there. He dint give me a reciept or anything? Anyway, would you kindly give me some other possible solutions open to me with some financial return as I cnt live two years without some income? I cnt express my gratitude enough. I'm glad I wrote here otherwise god knows how much more Money they would taken from me. Thank you.

As I work in a school, I've have had 2 CRBs done over the past 6 years. The only thing on there is from 1989 but it reads as a string of breaches relating to one event; showing under the Theft Act, Fraud Act and one other. It looks absolutely horrendous and overly dramatic for what it was (IMO). Being being fully aware that it looks horrendous however, I've always stated this episode on my applications for what it was, which is considerably less dramatic; I failed to pay the full fare for my train tickets. That was it.

While I accept the fact that I was wrong, it was nearly 22 years ago now, a minor offence in the grand scheme of things and I've had absolutely no comeback from either of my employers since; they haven't even asked in response to the CRB coming back. From that, I can only assume that they drew their own conclusions balanced against my ability to do the job.

Touching on an earlier post for a minute though, there are a number of vancancies advertised nearby that ask candidates to pay for their own CRB or, to pay half the cost..... so it does go on and can be very off-putting. The jobs in question are nothing special, so people I know tend to just look elsewhere instead.

:-)

CRB checks... dont go there. I was interviewed in early November for my current nursing post. Because I had to move to a different county, I had to hand in my notice for my last job in early December, feeling I needed a good few weeks to find a place to live, organising removal costs etc (I do not drive). I also felt confident that I would begin my new job in the new NHS trust by early January, as in the letter confirming I was successful in the interview it stated 'Your first day of work will be on the first Monday of the month following successful receipt of all necessary documents'.

"Ah," I thought. "It's a cinch."

And promptly left Wales for Wiltshire.

I ended up starting in February, simply because of the delay with the pointless CRB check.

I say pointless as all it proves is that once upon a time, you were *caught* for doing something wrong, unlike thousands upon thousands of people in jobs that need a CRB check who *have* committed a crime but got away with it. Luckily, all those times I stole as a teenager, I was never caught. And of course, the CRB check doesn't prove you are *capable* of doing that at a later date either. I have witnessed colleagues through my working life, stealing items from work and never getting caught. Future CRB checks will disclose nothing on them of course. They will probably go on to commit crimes too.

So, it just proves you were caught, thats all. It gives no indication as to your morale standing, your merits as a citizen or anything like that. Just a pointless piece of paper.

There. Rant over. Thank you.

• Haha 1

Hmmm. I am sorry, but I feel that I have to say this. I am extremely concerned about the direction this thread is taking. ITbloke, you are probably a very nice person, and very sincere, but I have to point out that nobody here in anonymous cyberspace knows that! You are offering to help somebody "in your professional capacity" - this is soliciting business which is against CAG rules. You are also, on the face of it, encouraging a vulnerable 20 year old to contact you with personal details so that you can help them. This is, whilst an exceedingly generous and kindly offer, also potentailly a very worrying one. We do not know who you are - very few people on here actually really know anyone else on here - and I am afraid that the internet is not just used by genuine and honest people; it is also used by some very nasty people who would love to get their grips into a vulnerable 20 year old who has no family support, and appears to be somewhat naive about the world. I do not wish to offend anyone here, or to question their motives, but I do have to point out that everyone needs to be vigilant about their safety on the internet, and handing out personal details or making personal contact with someone should only be undertaken after very carefully checking out the other person, establishing that they are who they say they are, and what they say they are, and even then, making absolutely certain that someone knows what you are doing and who with.

I am sorry if this offends anyone because it is not my intention. But I would rather offend than allow someone to take risks with their safety.

• Haha 1

LM, please listen to the advice of SarEl and papasmurf. I'm really worried about you thrashing around looking for work and leaving yourself vulnerable and open to further fraud.

Days ago, someone suggested you should speak to NACRO and other organisations for ex-offenders. Did you do that? These are experts who understand your world and I imagine can put you in touch with genuine companies who have jobs to offer.

Why would you want to take the advice of someone who's in cyberspace? I realise that includes me too, but I've been a CAG member for over a year now and if I talked rubbish, someone would have noticed by now and told me to shut up. And I'm not offering to find you an 'apprenticeship'.

Please slow down and try to do this logically.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Just to echo the very wise and appropriate advice above this might be a timely reminder to all who might be tempted otherwise that for very good reasons all dealings should ne kept on the forum and not by PM. Undoubtedly there are some very well intended suggestions, but as it has already been pointed out, soliciting is against the rules without permission, and it is easy to fall prey to all sorts of unpleasantness when you are at a low point.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I thank SarEl, papasmurf and all others here who have expressed there concerns for me. It's so strange how I find unusual comfort in knowing that complete strangers have more concern for my safety and support with my situation than the people I once knew my whole life. A very close friend of mine said something to me today that made me think. She said the same thing SarEl did funnily enough. She said that Iv had such a sheltered upbringing that it has inevitably made me incredibly naive about this world. And SarEl I'm not offended in any way because what u said is true.*I dnt undastand this world so well I am so stupidly naive that's y I'm in this predicament today. I'm desperatkey seeking for work and I get turned down everywhere as soon as I'm honest about my conviction, even when I'm nit asked about it but I do cos ino theyl do a crb and know anyway and I dnt want to look dishonest. I think I'm doing the best thing being so openly honest about my conviction and there kind enough to let me finish my say - then they couldn't show me the door quicker. This is what I have experienced this last few months. I so stupidly fell for everything in hope for some work. I'm naive I agree, and I have much to learn. I just wish some1 out ther would give me a chance! I called up barclays today after my worrying conversation with itbloke today. I was astounded when I found out that I'm not evn on the record for any kindv job or offers, they dint even know "the regional recruitment managers" name when I referenced him! I called my "friend" all day he hadn't answered. Iv lost money along with further knocks to my confidence. I just wish I knew what to do next. HB, Iv briefly looked at nacro website and looks very promising. I will be contacting them first thing Monday morning to see what they could do for me. I can only hope for the best. And prepare for the worst too, clearly after my recent luck. I thank every1 here who have given me their wise opinions and advice and I will take everything on board. Believer or not, a little prayer for me would be much appreciated. As God up ther wherever He is, has stopped listening to me a long time ago. Probably cos I deserve it well and all. I know I made a mistake guys, but Iv paid my price and desperately trying to make amends and move on. But this cruel world doesn't give many chances to people like us. We are just a percentage to them. Most work places r obligated to atleast recuit an x % of ex offenders I believe but only people with 30 odd years old offences make up these numbers. I'm not being critical as I'm in no position but, that's how I feel. Thank you every1 for ur advice.

Lm 

I just read your last post. Your situation must be hard for you, and I think that eveyone on here can see that you're trying really hard and doing your best to find a job. I did think that with regard to a lot of jobs, that once a conviction is spent, then a candidate needn't inform a potential employer of that conviction. I don't know for sure what the time limits are, and I think that it might be different depending on the nature of the crime in question.

Some employers are able to ask for an enhanced CRB disclosure, and in this instance all cautions, reprimands and convictions are included, but such disclosures are usually required for particular types of jobs, for instance care work, teaching or jobs in the financial industry.

I would contact NACRO as you say, they will be able to help and perhaps put you in touch with potential employers.

I'm not a religious person, but I am hoping for the best for you, you deserve a break, it will come- probably when you least expect it.