• Tweets

• Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5326 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have about £30,000 of debt with 6 different creditors. Ive been paying money I havn't got every month so I tried to start an IVA. I paid them over £500 to check out my case. I was advised to change my bank account and stop paying large amounts and refer the creditors to them. This I did but interest was being added on all the time. It took 5 months and it finally came back that it was declined.The debt is now bigger than it started and my phone rings day and night with people chasing me. I dont answer the phone anymore because im frightened to talk to them. I dont know where to start and which way to turn. Can anyone help me please?

Info about me: Im a single mum, I work part time, I rent a house and I own my own car but dont think its worth much.

I think that you should consider bankruptcy. We are getting very positive reports about the sympathetic way that bankruptcy applications are being treated and the way that interviews are being conducted.

have a look at some of the threads in this forum about it.

I think that you will feel very reasssured.

You have given them a chance with an offer of an IVA. They have refused. Now they face the consequences.

I tried an IVA but its been declined which is why I started a thread asking for other help. Thanks anyway.

Sorry to hear about your problems, i was very concerned to read that you paid such a large amount to a company for an IVA and then they decline you !

Have you tried Debt Free Direct, i entered into an IVA with this company, they never charged any upfront fees, at first they did decline my acceptance, because the creditors would not receive enough money back, after sevaral conversations with the company and creditors they agreed my acceptance for the extremley low amount of 17 pence in the pound, at the end of the day it was either this or nothing.

I entered into the IVA before i found this website, knowing what i know now i would probally do it myself, possbily stressfull etc, may be you could attempt the DIY solution.

In any event i hope you get things sorted, take care.

The retailers worst nightmare !

You should certainly look into bankruptcy as suggested by Bankfodder. In all likelihood you will be discharged after 12 months and unless you have an expensive car the OR won't be interested in that.

Rather than paying for further advice, you could just call the nearest Insolvency Service Office and talk to someone there.

Good luck!

What a nightmare - it shouldn't have took them 5 months to tell you No. I'm assuming its a claims company. Did all your creditors refuse the IVA or just one?

Licensed Insolvency Practitioners are regulated, I think by the Institute - are these claims companies?

hi red shocker have you contacted the natinal debtline for advise . they are really good and non judgemental.

National Debtline – Free, Confidential Debt Advice – Call 0808 808 4000

I fully agree. You need some free (and more importantly holistic) advice. Give NDL a call. To be honest based upon the brief info given within your thread I would imagine an IVA would have been TOTALLY the wrong option for you.

Best wishes,

Seq.

I tried an IVA but its been declined which is why I started a thread asking for other help. Thanks anyway.

Hi

On what grounds were you refused, did you attend the meeting? the reason I ask is because a few yr ago I too with the advice from a so called debt management company tried to go iva, handed over £5/600 quid and a week later they said did not have enough debt??

Back then I was so niave so welcomed any help that took away the grief from me and my telephones and letterbox.

Ask for the report, because if your representitive is like mine then they done nothing but ' drink ' the fee and lied to me.

Mr W

Regards..Mr Worried :)

If I were you I would opt for bankruptcy. I'm in the same position as you, single mum, rented house, car on finance. My B/R went through in August. I was terrified, but now that I look back it's the best thing to happen for me. Loads of debt from my ex husband, bills mounting up, house repossessed. I owed in the region of 75k.

The Official Receiver was fantastic. They have said my car is exempt; I have no payment plan in place :)

I would seriously consider it if I was you. How much is your total debt??

Hi, sorry about my post above, must've been on a different planet!

Unfortunately until the IVA is set up, the creditors will continue to add interest onto the accounts, however I am sorry that you have ended up with an increased amount of debt.

You could either enter into a debt management plan or look into the bankruptcy option.

With the debt management plan, you could pay an affordable amount each month until your debt is cleared in full. You can end this arrangement whenever you want, therefore if you decided to try again for the IVA, or go bankrupt in a years time, you could apply for this then. At least with the debt management plan, you have less pressure of making payments and dealing with correspondence yourself - the company would deal with it for you on your behalf. You would also not notice the amount coming out of your bank, as you can set up a standing order or DD for your payment.

With you having no assets of a high value, you would not lose anything by going bankrupt,however it does carry a stigma attached to it, such as affecting promotions, employment and future credit.

Also, with you working, you could be asked to pay into an income payment order in bankruptcy where you would be required to pay in a monthly payment each month for 3 years until discharged.

Best wishes

Hi to all,I am at the moment receiving advice & help with filling in Papers for Bankruptcy,But it Scares me ridged,My husband went off in March leaving me with all the Debt,The House was repossesed in August,So i am now in Rented accommadation,Single Mum,i work from home & need a car for my work,But have been told that the OF could class it as an asset,the car is on Finance but agreement with my son in law,i am so scared it will be taken he will lose out & i wont be able to afford another car & so i will not be able to do my work,(i am a curtain maker,so need a vehicle for collecting & dropping off the work).

If i dont do the Bankruptcy i will then be responsible for the shortfall on the Repossession although it is in joint names the mortgage was based on my husbands earnings,But the mortgage company doing nothing to find him & his whereabouts although i have given them forwarding work addresses,telephone numbers added to this all the other debt,i will have to find around £75-80,000,The Bankruptcy just scares me so much,I just need a little enlightenment from a fellow Cag member,A bit of an insight as to how they dealt with it all,Please can anyone Help

hi jane dont be scared of BR , it get easier and you will feel a lot better once the deed is done.

regarding the car if you can show to the OR that you need it then you will be able to keep it.

regarding the house dont sing a deed of acknowledgement.

if you have uqestin on your own please start a thread we will help you.

SORRY - HAVE MIXED UP OP AND LATER POSTER...

JANE1960, believe me Girl, if I was in your shoes I would be filing for bankruptcy.;)

This is the official insolvency site for you to take a look at...

The Insolvency Service Website

I'm pretty sure that if you need your vehicle for work then the Official Receiver will let you retain it, providing that it's a reasonable value and not a Ferrari or the likes.

Given the shortfall in the house repossession, I feel it's the only way you're going to get a fresh start, otherwise you are going to be harangued for years to come.

As Phat has said, best start your own thread for specific advice.

REDSHOCKER - Personally am not a fan of IVA's but at the very least, I would be pursuing the company concerned for a refund of my £500. I agree with Bank Fodder that you should investigate bankruptcy...see link above for the Insolvency website.

Regarding harassment...take a look at this link and, if you do happen to speak to them, tell them that you are only willing to communicate in writing....oh, and don't get fobbed off the with the line "...but we're a telephone bank!!"

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/52-harassment

Best of luck both!! :p

Edited by WelshMam2009
Jumbled up!!

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Jane please try not to be so scared. My total debt was around 75k but i was made bankrupt by statutory demand and didn't fight it. Although it frightened me I knew it would be the best thing for me in the long run. I also have a car on finance, and the OR has deemed it exempt. The finance company are also happy for me to keep it although I am now bankrupt as I have never missed a payment on that agreeement.

My house was repossessed after I split from me ex husband. The shortfall is 45k. I now don't have to worry about it. My ex forced it to the point of repossession so now he can take the consequences.

My OR was brilliant. I couldn't have asked for someone more understanding. I can now sleep at night without worrying all the time. I wouldn't hesititate if I was you. If I can help you at all, please ask! x

Redschocker, I do hope some of this sound advice is helping you cope. I also have fallen into a lot of debt and my creditors have been less than understanding despite what they pretend to portray. I have looked seriously into bankruptcy and my main concern was my vehicle. I understand that one was allowed to keep a car valued £2k or less but that has now risen to a value of £4k.:)

hi jane this is an extrac from the Or technical manual which explained what do a deed of acknowledgement

33.154 Deeds of acknowledgement of debt – Solely and jointly owned property (January 2009)

A secured creditor may request a bankrupt to complete a deed of acknowledgement of debt when the sale of the property results in a shortfall. They may also request such a deed be completed by any non-bankrupt joint owner/borrower when the property was jointly owned. A secured creditor may request this transaction so that no dispute will arise as to the amount of the shortfall or so that proposals to repay the unsecured portion of the debt by instalments can be settled. However, the secured creditor is entitled to claim in the bankruptcy for the unsecured balance of its debt and it will be up to the trustee to deal with such a claim. If the bankrupt completes such a deed, a new debt might be created on which recovery action might be based at any time within the limitation limit. It is not for the official receiver to influence the bankrupt about how to proceed in this matter. If the debt is a joint debt, any non-bankrupt joint owner will be liable for the appropriate portion of the debt whether a deed of acknowledgment is completed or not. The official receiver should not object to the completion of a deed of acknowledgement of debt and if he/she becomes aware that the bankrupt has been requested to provide such a deed, the official receiver should suggest that the bankrupt seeks his/her own legal advice.

this is from this link

Dealing With Property With Minimal/No Equity

basically it is a document ( or a contract)issued by the creditor in which you are promising to repay the shortfall on the sale of your house when you signed say document. It is a sneaky way from creditor to squeeze you out even more moeny from you when you cant afford it ( this is my opinion).

i ho pe this heal please jane start a thread so we can answer more directly your question.

Thankyou Thankyou to you all,But what did you mean when you said do not sign a deed of Acknowledgement,Also how do i start a new Thread

Go to the Debt Action Consumer forum and in the appropriately named one, the blue box in the top left corner says Start New Thread or words to that effect and then head it up Jane1960 vs (Name of your Creditor)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/#black-consumer-forums-center

Thankyou so much for your help.How do i start a new thread & what do i have to say in it,please i am so bloody thick,sorry

AA99 answerd it for you .

and you are not stupid nor thick ! there is no stupid question to ask only those who dont ask are stupid :D

another thing dotn ask for advise by private post as we may get some bad advise or unsolicited messages. and it is against the rule.

Edited by phat256