how can i change from pre payment to credit meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello i had a problem with cash flow a few years ago and had to have a token electricity meter installed ,now i have paid all the arrears,

i contacted SWALEC and they told me i would have to be debt free for six months and then be credit checked..my cash flow situation is now fine and can set up a direct debit with no problem ,,talk about ;give a dog a bad name; is there any thing i can do .... many thanks

IMHO it is an not unreasonable condition, I wonder if they might accept a an advance payment for example

When I moved into my first flat, albeit years ago now, that had a pre-payment meter and I had to pay £50 upfront to Swalec to cover any electricity charges.

I imagine the sum will be much greater now, but, if you can afford it then why not approach them with this suggestion?

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Have to say SWALEC's response is idiotic. Being debt free is meaningless when there is a prepayment meter. If you don't pay anything towards the electric, you don't receive any electric with a prepayment meter!

How can the OP prove she is a decent credit-risk now? The only way is by doing the credit-check now and having a credit meter fitted now if the OP passes the credit check, not in 6 months time. I would say SWALEC are just playing for time, hoping the OP will have forgotten about wanbting a credit meter in six months time. What difference will there be in six months time, the OP will still have the prepayment meter and not able to prove they are a good credit-risk!

I would suggest if the OP definitetuy wants a credit meter (and personally, in their situation, I would want one rather than continuing with the prepayment meter) that they demand a credit meter be fitted now or they will go to a different supplier. I would hyave thought some suppliers would be prepared to change the meter to a quarterly one upon becoming their customer at no cost to the OP.

"I would hyave thought some suppliers would be prepared to change the meter to a quarterly one upon becoming their customer at no cost to the OP."

Maybe so but double and triple check the info as the advisor may give incorrect info because they are not sure, or because they want to get comission from putting through a contract.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Utility companies are very unwilling to remove pre payment meters these days, particularly if they were installed for debt related reasons, even when there is a new occupier.

bang on

i now have a perfect credit file

when i moved into a new flat, i requested a normal meter

no way jose was the response

more money in it for them with a pre payment meter and ready cash in there bank account

They will do it if they have to though. I know people do get them removed sometimes. I would have thought if you tell SWALEC, you will change supplier if they don't remove it, then they will want to change it rather than lose you as a customer. Maybe this won't work - it does cost the supplier quite a bit of money to arrange an appointment and change a meter.

As I say, if that is the case, maybe its time to change supplier since they are not offering very good customer service.

Edited by mattlamb

PS: I didn;t think SWALEC existed anymore or have one of the suppliets changed their name yet again?

As afr as I was aware, the main suppliers are EON, NPower, BGas, EDF, Scottish & Southern and Scottish Power

Nope, the South Wales Electricity Company still exists, albeit as part of Scottish and Southern Energy Group!! ;)

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Even if you change supplier there may be a charge to have the meter removed. I know with Eon you would have to be a customer of theirs for 12 months before they will let you have the meter removed and then there is a charge of £50 along with a credit check.

With EON, if the meter was fitted for debt, it would never be removed, the fees charged for the meter exchange (currently £50) are purely to cover the cost of the work...

The prepayment tariff offered by EON is aligned with the standard credit meter tariff, so it isn't any more expensive than paying by quarterly cash/cheque

NPower would also charge the remove the meter, about £60 I believe, however after 12 months they would remove it for free. As above NPower's prepayment charges are the same as credit, I believe there is one other company that is like this too but the name eludes me.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

I have the suspicion that EDf may look upon your situation favourably and may agree to fit a credit meter if you move to them.

I am with Ebico and I find their customer service to be excellent and their credit meter prices are competitive. Perhaps they may be prepared to fit a credit meter . I know they do stress they offer good deals to prepayment customers so may be not. But may be worth a try

Ring a few companies and check, you've nothing to lose and, from what you've said, I'm sure you'll feel better if ur current company does not have your business.

If Npower charged you that much for installing the meter, it surely must have been court costs that were added to fit it under a warrant as suppliers don't normally charge for fitting the meter as it is designed to help you tackle your debt that has built up.

The £250 to replace it with a credit meter could then possibly be a security deposit to deter you from building up a debt again by changing the meter?

£250 does seem a lot for the work, how long had this been going on for? They fit a prepayment meter for free if you as, so it must've taken some time.