Broken Thumb - Can He Drive

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My oh has abroken thumb (cnfirmed by fracture clinic) he refused a cast as it self employed they gave him a splint kind of velcro bandage for 1 week on the promise he returns on weds to re xray and discuss casting.

What i need to know is , is his insurance on he work van covered while

a) Now with a velcro thingy

b) With a cast

I have googled it and cant findanything.

Any advice, as always is greatl appreciated x

i'd be more inclined to find out if he can safely drive said van, not if the insurance would cover him if he had a smack or WHY.

if he had an accident & if the police decided he was unfit to drive, then the insurance would be out the window anyhow.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

agree with DX - however I have a broken scaphoid bone the one between your thumb and wrist and I am in a cast. I asked the doctor if I could drive he said "he wouldn't reccommend it in terms of healing"

But I really needed to work so gave it a go and I can drive fine - however just to be safe I rang my insurance company and they said if I had an accident and had a cast on it would invalidate my insurance as I am currently not fit to be in charge of a vehicle.

I would imagine if I was in a splint I probably would have got the same answer.

so 6 weeks off it is

What i need to know is , is his insurance on he work van covered while

a) Now with a velcro thingy

b) With a cast

You need to ask them, as every policy differs.

When I broke my 4th metacarpal last year both my insurance and the police confirmed you can drive as long as you can control the vehicle. In that case it only required taping up, so I still had grip with the thumb and forefinger.

I doubt a broken thumb will pass the control test. Do get it fixed correctly though, not fixing it could leave a permanent disability.

I doubt there is anything technical in a policy that would stop your OH from driving, but should an accident occur, it will be asked whether your OH was reckless by driving when / if unable to control the vehicle properly.

I'd say i comes down to this: Can you properly control the vehicle or would it distract from doing so in the way that anything else would?

Consider though that people who are blind can drive. I still can't get my head around that one (and no insult is intended there).

I think this would come under the "failure to disclose material facts" heading that many insurance companies use as an escape clause.

You really don't want to give these guys any excuses if it can be avoided.

Thanks guys sorry for slow response, well being a man hes still driving but has promised if it is casted tomorrow he wont.....

On his head be it ...i have told him i wont be giving him lifts if he gets banned !

Thanks again :)

or visit him in prison if he kills someone............

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...