You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

MRSWESTHAM

Broken Thumb - Can He Drive

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3986 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

My oh has abroken thumb (cnfirmed by fracture clinic) he refused a cast as it self employed they gave him a splint kind of velcro bandage for 1 week on the promise he returns on weds to re xray and discuss casting.

What i need to know is , is his insurance on he work van covered while

a) Now with a velcro thingy

b) With a cast

I have googled it and cant findanything.

Any advice, as always is greatl appreciated x

why not ask his insurance company? Surely its better to know in advance than to find out after an accident.

i'd be more inclined to find out if he can safely drive said van, not if the insurance would cover him if he had a smack or WHY.

if he had an accident & if the police decided he was unfit to drive, then the insurance would be out the window anyhow.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

agree with DX - however I have a broken scaphoid bone the one between your thumb and wrist and I am in a cast. I asked the doctor if I could drive he said "he wouldn't reccommend it in terms of healing"

But I really needed to work so gave it a go and I can drive fine - however just to be safe I rang my insurance company and they said if I had an accident and had a cast on it would invalidate my insurance as I am currently not fit to be in charge of a vehicle.

I would imagine if I was in a splint I probably would have got the same answer.

so 6 weeks off it is

What i need to know is , is his insurance on he work van covered while

a) Now with a velcro thingy

b) With a cast

You need to ask them, as every policy differs.

When I broke my 4th metacarpal last year both my insurance and the police confirmed you can drive as long as you can control the vehicle. In that case it only required taping up, so I still had grip with the thumb and forefinger.

I doubt a broken thumb will pass the control test. Do get it fixed correctly though, not fixing it could leave a permanent disability.

I doubt there is anything technical in a policy that would stop your OH from driving, but should an accident occur, it will be asked whether your OH was reckless by driving when / if unable to control the vehicle properly.

I'd say i comes down to this: Can you properly control the vehicle or would it distract from doing so in the way that anything else would?

Consider though that people who are blind can drive. I still can't get my head around that one (and no insult is intended there).

I think this would come under the "failure to disclose material facts" heading that many insurance companies use as an escape clause.

You really don't want to give these guys any excuses if it can be avoided.

Thanks guys sorry for slow response, well being a man hes still driving but has promised if it is casted tomorrow he wont.....

On his head be it ...i have told him i wont be giving him lifts if he gets banned !

Thanks again :)

or visit him in prison if he kills someone............

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

The insurance would still be valid, even for drvers who are convicted of drink drivig after an accident; would get withdrawn after conviction though as circumsatnces changed.