• Tweets

• Hi, If they haven't followed the court's directions there will be little tolerance of the court. Anyway please can you upload a copy of the court paperwork
    • Yes, you should have applied for an immediate strike out as soon as the deadline expired. Without the agreement, they are stuffed Forget Barclaycard, Asset link is now the creditor, and it is down to them to provide the agreement.  That needs to go into the witness statement. They have not provided the agreement contrary to directions of the court and request the court strike out the claim as to the original court directions.
    • I did not receive a notice via post but in my claim status it shows my claim was transferred to a court I requested in my DQ, as it is closer to me.    Defense I filed:  1.       The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2.       The defendant paid the lead tenant a fixed sum monthly bill without fail for the extent of the rental period of the accommodation their contract was associated with who was responsible to make payments to the claimant, ending in June 2023. 3.       After moving out, a month later, the claimant wrote to state that an outstanding sum existed. Further stating, as one of the 10 tenants at the time, I now owed them the full sum instead of my 1/10 proportion of said debt, as 10 students were at the dwelling. They also intimated that they were legally allowed to charge me the full sum if the other renters were not to pay their share under some equal and joint severity rule. 4.       Despite sending numerous requests prior to the court claim being raised for copies of said bills for said utilities covered by the agreement, the claimant failed to send any clear bills. This included a CPR 31.14 on xx/xx/xxxx sent via post. 5.       The defendants stress that they acted in good faith to settle the outstanding balance, as evidenced by the confirmation received from the claimant.  Any subsequent demands for additional payments are unwarranted and contradict the claimant's previous acknowledgment of settlement. 6.       Pursuant to OFGEM code of back billing rules the alleged charges relate to charges which have not been billed correctly by Co-operative Energy and are therefore prevented from charging. With the court’s permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to: - a) show and disclose how the Defendant has entered into an agreement. b) show and disclose how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed. c) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim. 7.As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation                  that the money is owed. 8.It is therefore denied that the defendant is indebted to the claimant as alleged or at all.
    • Paint is a free programme on any Windows PC. But don't worry, the choice here is not either perfection or nothing. As you say, use your scanner, save the file ... and then use the "choose files" option when you post to CAG to add the file. We can do all the redacting and converting to the correct file type at this end.  The important thing is just to get the info to us. Why not do an experiment this afternoon and see if the above works?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

AK Claimform - MBNA card 'debt'

MeeBroke
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A quick recap of how this all happened: I had always paid every month, on time by direct debit. I had never missed, been late or under paid. I hadn't used the card in a few years. One day, I received a call from MBNA informing me my monthly contribution would no longer cover the minimum as the interest had gone up from 24% to 30%. I demanded to see my CCA, where it said they could do this. They refused, I stopped paying and issue CCA request. The rest is history...

For a defence I would consider the following elements:

CCA is not valid:

The have given me a photocopy of what looks like an application form

interest schedule is not shown/accurate

T&Cs have been reconstituted outside of the agreement and appear to be of a later era than the application form

Default Notice Faulty:

rectification period too short

demand for full amount

*note also that two things happened at the time the DN was issued. The comms log shows the account was sold on before the rectification period expired. I received a letter from MBNA in response to one of my many requests for CCA during the DN period to say they were investigating and would get back to me within so many days. However, they DN'd me anyway even though the letter makes it appear that I should wait to do anything whilst they investigate.

Can I counter-claim?

I can demonstrate a perfect credit score both before and since this MBNA situation has occurred. It remains the only black mark on a lifetime's credit score. I have had this mark against my credit score for 4 years-and therefore have been unable to move house (we now have 3 children that we didn't have when this all began so want to move to a bigger home)due to being unable to obtain a new mortgage. Both my wife and I have been gainfully employed throughout.

Also, we sustained a long and brutal harassment campaign which included constant phone calls home/office/mobile for years leading to us changing our phone number. They managed to get through to me at a new job by lying to a previous employer to obtain my new employer and then lying again to my new employer to get through to my extension. Constant threatening letters, including threats of charging orders against our home (in writing). Threats that someone would be visiting at our house (in writing). A cynical attempt to obtain my signature by posting a blank slip of paper in an envelope that was sent 'signed for'- to name a few.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did they give you the opportunity to give up the card and repay the outstanding balance at the 24% interest rate ?

They are supposed to do this and give you 30 days notice of the rate change.

Yes, you do need to prepare and submit a defence. If you want to draft something with your own thoughts, we can all chip in.

I am pretty sure I have seen something previously used in a defence where the start of the hassles were similar to yours. So I will dig that out for you. I would think there are also some similarities with Harrison.

I am not quite sure about the selling on before the remedy period. IMHO, this is wrong because the new owner would not have been able to extend you credit if you had remedied within the time scales. Again, IMHO, their actions imply the account was terminated prior to the remedy date of the Default Notice. Which of course is wrong :)

Anyway, I am sure we can put something together between us.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

What would you be CC for.. destruction of your Credit rep /harassment ?

Yes, you can indeed CC, although you would have to pay a fee for that. I am not quite sure how you go about this. Andy will of course know :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

What would you be CC for.. destruction of your Credit rep /harassment ?

Yes, you can indeed CC, although you would have to pay a fee for that. I am not quite sure how you go about this. Andy will of course know :)

Thanks CB, I'll give it all some thought. Is it possible for you to flag this up to Andy as well?

Many thanks

MB

They are supposed to do this and give you 30 days notice of the rate change.

Yes, you do need to prepare and submit a defence. If you want to draft something with your own thoughts, we can all chip in.

No, they certainly didn't do this. The only way I was made aware of the rate hike was that my direct debit arrived at MBNA and no longer covered the monthly due to the increase-and they telephoned me to collect.

I'm not exactly where to sure start with a defence, i.e. format and what to include etc.

So, once again here are the particulars as laid out in the Claim Form:

Para 1) Claimant: Aktiv kap ------- Address for sending docs: Solicitor ------ Claim: 'By a credit agreement under the Consumer credit Act 1974 the defendant borrowed a sum of money from MBNAicon, a bank for the purposes of the banking act.

Para 2) As a result of breaches of that agreement by the Defendant, including but not limited to non-payment of any sums due, a DN was served by MBNA. The defendant failed to remedey the breaches.

Para 3) The balance outstanding and upaid due at the date of issues amounts to (the entire amount) By a contract of sale MBNA assigned to Varde abosolutely all amounts due from the defendant under the agreement. Notice of assignment was sent to the defendant.

Para 4) By a subsequent contract of sale Varde assigned to the claimant absolutely all amounts due from the defendant under the original agreement.

Beginning of Defence draft:

Part 1) Para 1 Admit that there was an agreement with MBNA Europe Ltd but dispute that I had agreed to the interest rate schedule applied suddenly to the account, increasing the interest to 30%. I made a formal request for a true copy of any original agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 that showed there was an agreement surrounding this interest schedule. MBNA did not comply with my request and instead embarked on a long and vicious harassment campaign. Due to MBNA's non-compliance with my CCA Request I placed the account in dispute.

Part 2) Para 1 Admit that the account remained in dispute dispite my repeated written communication with MBNA. After many months of communication with MBNA, including the intervention on my behalf from Trading Standards, and after the issue of a Default Notice MBNA eventually forwarded a barely legible photocopy of what appears to be an application form. The schedule of interest does not appear and the photocopy is accompanied by a separate document which appears to be a set of Terms and Conditions not related to the application form. This is no way is compliant with being a true record of an agreement under the Consumer Credit Act of 1974.

Part 3) Para 2 Admit that a Default Notice was issued. However, not enough time was allowed to remedy the situation in contravention to (reference needed here). A Communication Log obtained from MBNA on (date) under a Subject Access Request shows that the account was sold to a third party before the Default Notice Period had elapsed. A letter from MBNA was also received on (date) which announced that the situation was under investigation however, the investigation was ongoing at the time of the issue of the Default Notice.

Your doing just fine Meebroke...now put them to strict proof to disclose and quantify.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi MeeBroke,

Hopefully CB will get Andyorch on the case to assist.

As far as the format is concerned and submitting it etc, you can draft it in a word document, post it on here for opinions and then once the defence is complete and ready to submit, you can copy and paste it to MCOL.

Your doing just fine Meebroke...now put them to strict proof to disclose and quantify.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for having a look. I have no idea what you mean though?

Thanks

MB

Hi Andy

Thanks for having a look. I have no idea what you mean though?

Thanks

MB

The intro within your defence deals with either admitting or refuting the particulars.Then move on to put the claimant to strict proof and disclose the documents its claim relies upon:-

" 3. Paragraph 1 is denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement with the Claimant; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; "

4. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

5. On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Then state your dispute argument and its important to finalise the defence with " By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief."

Finish your draft then we will give it the once over.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Andy, I'm still not clear. Am I building a narrative in the intro (the bit I drafted above) and then basically copying the bit you've suggested after it?

I'm thinking I should refer to the UR somewhere, do I quotes letters and dates?

Just not sure what level of detail is required for Defence and what would eventually go in WS.

Thanks

MB

A defence is the bare bones.. a Witness statement will put the flesh on at a later date.

BCOBS

Good morning Meebroke

Take a read of this recent thread..... I go into detail on how I draft defences :- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?380935-Claim-Form-Received-Court-Process-Guidance-Required-please

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy!

Alloyz eventual defence looks almost spot on?

My Claim particulars:

'By a credit agreement under the Consumer credit Act 1974 the defendant borrowed a sum of money from MBNAicon, a bank for the purposes of the banking act.

As a result of breaches of that agreement by the Defendant, including but not limited to non-payment of any sums due, a DN was served by MBNA. The defendant failed to remedey the breaches.

The balance outstanding and upaid due at the date of issues amounts to (the entire amount) By a contract of sale MBNA assigned to Varde abosolutely all amounts due from the defendant under the agreement. Notice of assignment was sent to the defendant.

By a subsequent contract of sale Varde assigned to the claimant absolutely all amounts due from the defendant under the original agreement.

Alloyz's defence:

1. Paragraph 1 is admitted with regards to the Defendant entering in to an Agreement referred to in the Particulars of Claim ('the Agreement') with the MBNA Europe Bank Limited.

2. Paragraph 2 is admitted but it is denied that MBNA ever served a Default Notice pursuant to the CCA1974. The claimant also failed to serve any Notice of Sums Arrears since assignment pursuant to the CCA2006 amendments (sec 86C ) and precluded from adding any interest or seeking enforcement or relief until such time it is served..

3. Paragraph 3 is admitted regarding the Notice of Assignment. The Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show service of a valid Default Notice and proof of delivery

(b) show how the Claimant has legal right by way of the Credit Consumer Agreement and Terms and conditions applicable

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

4. Incorporated within the sum demanded by the Claimant are sums claimed for administration fees, late payment charges and like provisions. It is denied (if it be alleged) that the Claimant has incurred any such fees and charges, alternatively that such fees and charges if incurred accurately represent sums lost by the Claimant by reason of late payment. The Defendant avers that the incorporation of such claims is penal and unenforceable at law.

5. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Edited by MeeBroke

Phew, I've spent the morning going through all of my documents on this again-I think it runs to well over 200 pages. Everything is in meticulous order. Checked and double-checked the DN is definitely faulty. They definitely sold the account on a week before the DN rectification date (clearly shown in comms log). They have sent at least 4 different sets of T&Cs. The grainy photocopy of the tear-off portion of an application is only perhaps 60% legible but there is a schedule of interest that does not include the 29.9% that they raised mine to. I have also rediscovered a letter from MBNA admitting they raised the interest to 29.9% for no reason other than 'after a review of the account we raised the interest'.

I also have a letter from MBNA that specifically says that the are investigating the account and will respond within 28 days. Less than 15 days into this period they defaulted me. I then received another letter from MBNA apologising for the delay and informing me they were still investigating and would get back to me on 28 Jan, over a full month after the DN rectify date.

Feels good to have everything nicely in order.

Now, Just have to sort out this defence. Andy, I'm thinking there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. Does Alloyz's defence match my situation?

Very many thanks

MB

I think the only change from Alloyz's defence I wonder about is to mention that the agreement was unlawfully rescinded, or is that giving too much away? I also don't think the agreement was valid due to interest schedule and lack of T&Cs, so I still 'admit'?

Claim Particulars:

'By a credit agreement under the Consumer credit Act 1974 the defendant borrowed a sum of money from MBNA, a bank for the purposes of the banking act.

As a result of breaches of that agreement by the Defendant, including but not limited to non-payment of any sums due, a Default Notice was served by MBNA. The defendant failed to remedey the breaches.

The balance outstanding and upaid due at the date of issues amounts to £xxxxx. By a contract of sale MBNA assigned to Varde abosolutely all amounts due from the defendant under the agreement. Notice of assignment was sent to the defendant.

By a subsequent contract of sale Varde assigned to the claimant absolutely all amounts due from the defendant under the original agreement.

Defence:

1. Paragraph 1 is admitted with regards to the Defendant entering in to an Agreement referred to in the Particulars of Claim ('the Agreement') with the MBNA Europe Bank Limited. However, it is denied in that the agreement was unlawfully rescinded by MBNA.

2. Paragraph 2 is admitted but it is denied that MBNA ever served a Default Notice pursuant to the CCA1974. The claimant also failed to serve any Notice of Sums Arrears since assignment pursuant to the CCA2006 amendments (sec 86C ) and precluded from adding any interest or seeking enforcement or relief until such time it is served..

3. Paragraph 4 is admitted regarding the Notice of Assignment. The Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show service of a valid Default Notice and proof of delivery

(b) show how the Claimant has legal right by way of the Credit Consumer Agreement and Terms and conditions applicable

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

4. Incorporated within the sum demanded by the Claimant are sums claimed for administration fees, late payment charges and like provisions. It is denied (if it be alleged) that the Claimant has incurred any such fees and charges, alternatively that such fees and charges if incurred accurately represent sums lost by the Claimant by reason of late payment. The Defendant avers that the incorporation of such claims is penal and unenforceable at law.

Hi

Just so you know, the claimant in my case has failed to notify the court if they wish to proceed so the claim will be automatically stayed.

However I have drafted a WS ready for others to review on here and in preperation; and await an AQ if the stay is lifted.

Timeframes are crucial, don't fall into the trap of procrastenating and follow the advice carefully and taylor it to your case.

Thanks

Alloyz

I also don't think the agreement was valid due to interest schedule and lack of T&Cs, so I still 'admit'?QUOTE]

Covered in your defence part 3 section (b). You are asking them to provide the compliant agreement and T&Cs

imho

I also don't think the agreement was valid due to interest schedule and lack of T&Cs, so I still 'admit'?QUOTE]

Covered in your defence part 3 section (b). You are asking them to provide the compliant agreement and T&Cs

imho

Many thanks for all your comments Alloyz! I'm definitely no procrastinator. I have until 24 April to enter my fence, my understanding is that I should wait til near that date to enter the D. I'm thinking 22nd to be on safe side.

Just need Andy's feedback and I'm good to go! Will also work on WS.

MB