Cabot financila (Vanquis CC) court summons is it too late to use CCA 1974?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'll leave that part out just in case then...lol

Yes, does rather seem as though it could be viewed as a LBA.. darn :(:lol:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused: quick question...

Filing my defence online, and then the next screen asks me if I want to file a counterclaim... strictly Y/N

can i put NO now, and then if i need to make a counterclaim I can do so when I file my amended defence??....

cant file the defence til i know...:mad:

My fight so far:

hunni2006 V Halifax Bank: Charges £963.11 refunded nov 2006:D

Cabot financial V hunni2006: defending court summons, ongoing... July 09 :-x:-x:-x don't even get me started about them....grrr still battling

hunni2006 V Capital One: SA request & CCA issued, ongoing.. July 09 OC 'checking the archives...' Sept 09, no agreement, files closed!:D

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< please feel free to tip my scales if I've been helpful!

:DLearning more, every day.....

I have No legal training, any opinions and advice posted are entirely my own opinion, and based on life experiences and knowledge gained on this great site. Ultimately, what you do is up to you.

:confused: quick question...

Filing my defence online, and then the next screen asks me if I want to file a counterclaim... strictly Y/N

can i put NO now, and then if i need to make a counterclaim I can do so when I file my amended defence??....

cant file the defence til i know...:mad:

sorted.... just made sure to mention in defence.

have received notification from the court telling me they have passed defence on to claimant.....

Should I be chasing up the CPR requests that have not been responded to??:confused:

My fight so far:

Cabot financial V hunni2006: defending court summons, ongoing... July 09 :-x:-x:-x don't even get me started about them....grrr still battling

hunni2006 V Capital One: SA request & CCA issued, ongoing.. July 09 OC 'checking the archives...' Sept 09, no agreement, files closed!:D

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< please feel free to tip my scales if I've been helpful!

I have No legal training, any opinions and advice posted are entirely my own opinion, and based on life experiences and knowledge gained on this great site. Ultimately, what you do is up to you.

Hi Hunni (always makes me think of that movie when I type that :oops:)

You could send out follow up letters reminding them that you will be bringing their lack of co-operation to the attention of the court. The fact you have already done so will be apparent when they receive a copy of the embarrassed defence :D

Other than that.. just take a few hours off to enjoy the peace before they start rattling their cage again.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Hunni (always makes me think of that movie when I type that :oops:) lol! was actually in relation to winnie the poo, but now that you mention it... it's my daughters fav film!

You could send out follow up letters reminding them that you will be bringing their lack of co-operation to the attention of the court. The fact you have already done so will be apparent when they receive a copy of the embarrassed defence :D

Other than that.. just take a few hours off to enjoy the peace before they start rattling their cage again.

Hi CitizenB :) As always your advice is invaluable!:D... especially the last bit!

Unfortunately since the summons I have all manor of creatures coming out of the woodwork (DCA's),:-x and since finding this site... no more head in the sand, so I'm CCA ing and SA ing all over the place!:shock:

in relation to another thread I have going (sorry).. If you have the time to look, I would value your opinion as to whether a CPR 31.16 request would be appropriate..(:D I'm learning....lol)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/204436-capital-one-dca-lowells.html

Thanks once again CB:D

hunni

My fight so far:

In exactly the same situation as you, although you are probably a week or two ahead of me. Put my defense in, but have yet to receive any info from Cabot!

I'm still waiting for the info too, but I'll keep the thread updated regularly to let you know whats going on, and good luck:)

My fight so far:

Well, strange turn of events with the post this morning...

Got a letter from the OC in response to my SA request offering me a full refund of ALL charges applied to the account!:eek:

Funny thing is, I didn't ask for a refund... (was going to mind you! lol)

the amount they have offered does not include interest though, I was wondering how to calculate that,

Also, as the CC company charges interest at around 49% I don't think that s69 interest @8% is fair.... but is that all that I can legally claim?

My fight so far:

Great Scott I would go for their CI at 49%. As this is such an extortionate rate of interest you can build a good case for claiming it should it get before a Judge.

I have managed to get CI off both MBNA and Cap 1 in the past. I suspect Vanquis/Cabot wouldn't like having to explain this rate before a Judge.

Got a letter from the OC in response to my SA request offering me a full refund of ALL charges applied to the account!:eek:

the amount they have offered does not include interest though, I was wondering how to calculate that,

Also, as the CC company charges interest at around 49% I don't think that s69 interest @8% is fair.... but is that all that I can legally claim?

Unfortunately this cannot be applied to my account as I already had a refund on some charges. Let's see what they come up with! Well done for standing firm and congratulations. One debt less to think about!

more developments in the post this morning.....

Letter from Cabot re the CCA request sent, roughly saying the following...

have urgently requested the info from OC, Unfortunately not received any due to delay in retrieving it from archives, therefore suspending all collection activity until such time as relevant information is supplied to me....

:D

My fight so far:

You can work that out quite easily using the spreadsheet template from ...

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/118-interest-calculation-spreadsheets

scroll down and use the Credit Card spread sheet which will work out the 8% interest for you. :D

I know I am a bit slow on the uptake.. but does this mean they are intending to halt the court claim :confused:

BCOBS

Unfortunately this cannot be applied to my account as I already had a refund on some charges. Let's see what they come up with! Well done for standing firm and congratulations. One debt less to think about!

Thank you :) unfortunately refunding the charges won't make that much of a dent in the balance outstanding:-|

I know I am a bit slow on the uptake.. but does this mean they are intending to halt the court claim :confused:

:rolleyes: that's the way I've read it atm... I'm hoping so anyway...lol

I am not counting my chickens though until I hear anymore from the court or the solicitors (still no response to my CPR requests) also awaiting SA request from Cabot. not sure whether to chase any of these up in view of this recent letter:?

My fight so far:

There is no harm in chasing up the CPR and SAR requests, it shows that you have done everything you can to get this information and it is the enemy who are being obstructive.:D

BCOBS

more developments in the post this morning.....

Letter from Cabot re the CCA request sent, roughly saying the following...

have urgently requested the info from OC, Unfortunately not received any due to delay in retrieving it from archives, therefore suspending all collection activity until such time as relevant information is supplied to me....

:D

This is exactly the same letter I got this morning - word for word. How does this stand with the court though? Is there a template we can send saying to the effect, you cannot prove my debt so bugger of! I called the court and asked what happens now? They said if Cabot do nothing it sits there until they want to start it off again. However they said you can write asking them to write/strike it off. Confused!

I would imagine this will be followed by a Notice of Discontinuation by Cabot. If they do so hit them with a Letter Before Action to reclaim your costs. If they don't pay up issue an N1 via the courts for wasted costs.

What can you claim for in regards to costs if it hasn't actually cost you anything yet?

Your own time spent in defending and researching this rubbish. You are allowed to claim £9.25 per hour. Just add up all the time spent on this. Just keep it reasonable (i.e. don't take the mick) and you can then send this to them. If they've any sense they will cough up, if not you will have to start proceedings.

• 3 weeks later...

:confused: I've just received an allocation questionnaire from the courts this morning, and am a little confused... does this mean that the other side has responded to my defence and the court case is still going ahead?

Am a little confused as they wrote to say they were suspending all action until they had complied with my cca and CPR requests... which they haven't done.

I've checked online, and the status just says that the case was transferred to my local court last week.

not sure what to do now... obviously I'll have to complete and return the form, but should I chase up the CPR & CCA requests aswell?

and what information do I put on the AQ? (other information section)

:smile: any advice would be welcome!

My fight so far:

I think I would call the court for a start and tell them about the letter. Problem is they (the court) will just carry on with their procedures until Cabot discontinue.

Another thought - perhaps a curt note to Morgan's solicitors asking WTF they are playing at in view of the letter.

You may well still need to proceed with the Allocation Questionnaire though. If so, complete it following the notes. Request the case is moved to your local court.

I would also tick the part to ask for a "stay" so that it can be resolved. Cabot may get their act together and call it all off.

In the box for information which the judge will look at state you need the following information in order to form a defence:

a) a copy of the agreement b) Notice or deed of assignment c) full breakdown of how the sum has been calculated and all charges added and why. If they are unable to supply these state you will be seeking that the case be struck out.

Edited by Rhia

ok... things going from bad to worse.

have just received a huge pile of documents from cabot in response to my SA request, and am now in a state of blind panic.:( The AQ has to be filed at the court by monday.

obviously it will take me a while to go through all the docs, but after an initial scan through there are several things jumping out at me straight away..

• in the 'copies of correspondence' section there are 2 letters allegedly sent to me by vanquis which have definately never been received by me... if they were ever sent. The first is a 'statement persuant to s78(1) etc, giving me the date that the debt was sold to Cabot. The second letter was giving details of the fact that I applied online and that in order to procede I would have had to accept the terms & conitions by ticking a box, and therefore no hard copy exists, but they have included a copy of t&c's they say would have been in the welcome pack. (at a glance they look to be same as the ones posted on this thread post#1)
  • In the rest of that section there are a large number of generic letters with no details on, just 'representation of letter dated xxxx' written in pencil on the top of each, including letters supposedly sent to me from the Solicitors, the first of which they allege was sent way back in March this year saying the account is in default & full balance due immediately. & that they have been instructed to issue procedings if I fail to make arrangements within 7 days... NOT a Default notice.
  • what looks like a photocopy of a sample default notice, that has a note writen at the top (presumably on the original sample) saying ' copy of default issued xx/xx/07' .... there are no personal or account details, and they only dates on the letter don't make sense... i.e dated 13/08/07 pay up by 25/4/92!!!! ( got a time machine anyone?????)
  • Also, the date that they say this default notice was issued is different than the date they have as the default date on the covering letter setting out my details & account details.

I'm still trying to go through the rest of the documents, which include computer logs which I'm struggling to make any sense of, copies of statements, and copies of the 2 CPR 18 requests that I sent to the solicitors, (but not the CPR 31.14) copies of the court papers & my defence.... the more I look, the more I get the impression that these were sent to 'bulk up' the documents and confuse me so that I wouldn't notice that things were missing, such as...

• The deed of Assignment/ bill of sale,
  • The actual copy of any default notice
  • termination notice

I'm sure as I start to get my head round this there will be more.... but at the moment, I'm at a loss as to where to start, and would be grateful for any help.:-?

Edited by hunni2006

My fight so far:

Don't panic - it's just the AQ and you need to answer as follows:

A. No (decided don't ask for a Stay)

B. Yes (if you want to change to local court - explain you are a LiP and do not have the resources that Cabot has being an international company (Jesus wept)

C. If it is under £5k then Yes to Small Claims

D. No (unless you have a witness apart from yourself)

E. No ( ditto)

F. Any dates to avoid - holiday, hospital or other

G. Any other info (no need to complete) have suggested adding re my post above.

That will give you some breathing space and you don't need anything else yet.

OK. Can you SAR Vanquis to see if those alleged letters turn up. Obviously this is no good for AQ but you will need to see if they are in their files or if these are just Enid Blyton creations.

If it was done online then I guess this is not a strong part of your defence. I am not up on online appns so perhaps someone else can help.

The default notice dates need challenging and I would put them to strict proof as to the actual date this was issued as one way or another this makes the DN invalid. Cabot never have proper copies of letters just "representations" of letters they allege to have sent. Put them to strict proof of the issue by asking for original default notice and proof of posting.

Then just read and re-read the whole thing and try and trip them up. Don't panic at all.