Letting Agent wants £200 to change name on contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5496 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A mate of mine told me his Letting Agent is charging him an admin fee of £200 to take his name off the Shorthold Tenancy Agreement.

He showed me the small print in the contract which said they charge £100 per hour for admin and in no uncertain terms this was non-negotiable.

He is/was sharing with one other person (who's staying on at the property alone and footing the extra rent). The contract is being amended to be only in the flatmate's name.

I saw red immediately - can the Agents really charge this hefty sum?

Lloyds TSB - 10/06/06 Data Protection Act letter sent | 10/07/06 Account history received | 18/08/06 Preliminary Letter sent | 28/08/06 Standard 1st reply received | 04/09/06 LBA sent | 08/09/06 LBA reply received (final response - a firm 'no') | 18/09/06 MoneyClaim form submitted | 21/10/06 Allocation Questionaire received | 03/11/06 Allocation Questionaire returned | 24/01/07 Court Date set for early March | 16/02/07Sent court bundle to solicitors and court | 20/02/07 **WON** Claim settled in full!

A mate of mine told me his Letting Agent is charging him an admin fee of £200 to take his name off the Shorthold Tenancy Agreement.

He showed me the small print in the contract which said they charge £100 per hour for admin and in no uncertain terms this was non-negotiable.

He is/was sharing with one other person (who's staying on at the property alone and footing the extra rent). The contract is being amended to be only in the flatmate's name.

I saw red immediately - can the Agents really charge this hefty sum?

You will have to describe the situation in a little more detail before we can comment as there is no automatic 'right' to have a name taken off the tenancy agreement. Can you tell us why your friend is being taken off and has the fixed term come to an end?

I would have thought that it is not merely about removing the name from the existing AST, but a new AST and a new inventory check that is signed by the tenant that remains. With multiple names on the AST the LL can pursue any of them for rent or damages. Your ability to pay the rent would have been assessed by the fact that there were two of you. As a LL I would probably want new credit checks/employment references done to ensure that the remaining tenant was able to meet the rent obligations. A new AST would incur costs for the LL too.