• Tweets

• Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Interest sheet -Help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 188 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

As a landlord owed ground rent since 2019 can I use the interest rate sheets on here?

I'm a bit foggy brained on this.  In the past I have used the sheets to calculate 8% simple interest or say 29% compound interest on credit cards to reclaim £s taken by banks as late fees.   

In this instance its ground rent that I am owed every 6 months, which hasn't been paid.  Not much. But still owed.  Non-payment also makes the leaseholder in breach of lease. However the sum is very small and I just want to reclaim the money.   

The lease allows for 4% over base.  But of course the base rate has changed from 0.75% to 5.25% since 2019.   How do I account for the base rate changing on the excel spreadsheet?   Or I can't or don't?  I just add today's base rate in the % box and calculate at today's rate, irrespective of the base % being lower in 2020-22?   

Do i have to generate separate sheets for each sum owed?  Or just bulk them all together?   Sorry for sounding stupid.  I'm having a mental block on how to account for the base rate changes to create an appropriate invoice including interest to date which isn't going to be rejected

unless you'd already advised them in writing if arrears occur you'd charge xx% interest, you can't AFAIK.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

4% above base (Nat West) for unpaid ground rent is covered in a clause in the lease.   

Have sent demands according to the rules. Its payable twice a year - so invoices are raised within 1 month before due date.  Remains unpaid. 

Unpaid GR within the lease actually provides an ability to serve for breach of lease and forfeiture. But its such a small sum - I just want to bill them

Have advised will be sending over a sheet including interest payable.  Now I just need to figure out how to do it !!

Edited by HP Mum

Topic moved to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Forum 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

ok so they are aware .

the gradual increase is certainly going to to be a pain to adapt into our existing sheets .

but yes it wont be using the compounded sheets just an adapted version of our 8% simple int one.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

im wondering if it might be easier to use the foscisheet and use an avg int for the whole period?

and they

i would use say 2.75 , it depends upon how long each change applies for, as of recent interest rates rose sharply in a vey short time but a cheaper earlier rate might have existed for xx time .

to be honest, if you get it wrong they'll tell you, its not as if the money is not owed just how much. it cant dismiss all the case if wrong.

and they

• 2 weeks later...

The terms are 4% over base. 

I have checked the interest rates since March 2019, when they changed and for how long each interest rate lasted, and added the 4% over.

The minimum chargeable rate is 4.75%.  The maximum (currently) is 9.25%

How on earth do I input the figures into one of these calculating sheets (suggested FOCI) ??

Mar 19 - Mar 20 =1y at 0.75% + 4% = 4.75% chargeable

Mar 20 - Dec 21 = 21m at 0.1% = 4.1%

Dec 21 - Feb 22 = 2m at 0.25%  = 4.25%

3 Feb -  17 Mar 22 = 0.5% for 6w = 4.5%

17 Mar - 5 May 22  = 0.75% for 7w = 4.75%

5 May - 16 Jun 22 = 1% for 6w = 5%

16 Jun - 4 Aug 22 = 1.25% for 7w = 5.25%

4 Aug - 22 Sep 22 = 1.75% for 7w = 5.75%

22 Sep - 3 Nov 22 = 2.25% for 6w = 6.25%

3 Nov - 15 Dec 22 = 3% for 6w = 7%

15 Dec - 2 Feb 23 = 3.5% for 6w= 7.5%

2 Feb - 23 Mar 23 = 4% for 7w = 8%

23 Mar -11 May 23 = 4.25% for 7w = 8.25%

11 May - 22 June 23 = 4.5% for 6w = 8.5%

22 June - 3 Aug 23 = 5% for 6w = 9%

3 Aug - now 23 = 5.25% for 10w (to date & continuing) = 9.25%

use the avg of all.

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

that makes your life easier in a way then regarding interest.

one spreadsheet for each invoice

the int rate for that period wont change that much in a year.

i cant see how to change the int rate (as ims21 wrote it) in our statint sheet

but there are many simple int tutorials on youtube

WWW.BING.COM

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.

unless you got tenants to sign & agree to specifically pay 'compounded int' on any arrears (you would have had to have used those EXACT words) you can only charge stat int at your rate for the duration of each invoice.

dx

and they

The exact wording in the lease is 4% above base (Nat West) on GR arrears.

I had assumed just 4% over base, not 8% stat interest.

I have an associated issue.

One lawyer I had used (friend paid for initially/ then I used rest of my savings) was supposed to be a top dispute lawyer at a top firm - but ended up being completely negligent. 

My issues would all have been settled 3.5y ago if he had read legal docs I had sent him.  He admitted in writing that - over a 1y period - he had never even looked at them because he did not think them relevant to my issues.   They were actually crucial.  I made a formal complaint to his firm.  I have been very busy with all sorts of other associated issues but they are aware that my intent is to bring a huge negligence claim against them. 

They are communicating and they have admitted negligence on parts of my complaint.   One of these was that they should have known my eligibility for 'help with fees' in the court system.  They made applications and agreed orders and charged all costs to my account over a 2y period.   They also pressured me to pay a huge court fee to file and submit an amended defence and counterclaim, which I did.  2 months later I 'sacked' them and took control of the process myself. 

At this point I learned about my eligibility for 'hwf'. One has a 3 months window in which to ask for a refund from the court.  I was in time to request a refund of the huge court fee.  I then made my formal complaint to the law firm.  It took 7 months but the law firm eventually repaid this court fee.   

My query - relating to this - now is can I also claim 8% stat interest on the 7 months I was out of pocket? (from date of payment to reimbursement).   I have written to them suggesting that I reserve the right to charge it. Was/ is this correct?

Secondly, the law firm complaints dept have listed all the applications/orders that were made and added to my account.  My records vary slightly and I have asked them to  re-check. They add up to quite a lot of money. They  have agreed to reimburse these sums. 

Although they ridiculously appear unfamiliar with the court process - the 3 months window - as they suggest I write to the court to ask for the refunds.  I can't because the window of opportunity has passed; they will have to reimburse me out their own pocket.  I have told them this.   Same question as above - can I now add 8% stat interest to each sum from the date of payment using the appropriate excel sheet?

Aside from this - am I shooting myself in the foot in terms of my much bigger negligence claim if I start asking them to settle bits now?   Although asking for these 'bits' to be resolved now does not alter the fact they were grossly negligent on a bigger issue

Re my 1st question - I had an idea that I could add in the charges up until the interest rate change. Then I could start a new excel sheet bringing the balance forward. I'd change the % and let excel work out the sum until the next interest rate change.  And then start a new sheet with the new balance brought forward and so on....

But I am having problems changing the %. excel doesn't seem to like it when I change the box that has 8% simple interest written to 4.5 or 5.25 etc

What am I doing wrong?

which sheet?

dx

and they

i've not found how to change the 8%

i saw *rate* in the formula which points to rate which must be the 8% but ive not worked on excel in 20yrs, then i could find it in 2secs...not now.

if you find it then all you do is charge it to whatever you want from 8%. then you are away.

dx

and they

Thanks dx.  I have no idea about using excel.  I've tried googling  but haven't found anything that I understand. 

I tried using the existing template but the 8% seems fixed.  Even if I write, say 4.75%, it still calculates 8%

Maybe an excel expert will come along?