• Tweets

• You will probably get a couple more reminders followed by further demands fro unregulated debt collectors with even increasing amounts to pay. They are all designed to scare you into paying.  Don't. It's a scam site and they do not know who was driving and they know the keeper is not liable to pay the PCN. Also the shop was closed so they have no legitimate interest in keeping the car park clear. So to charge £100 is a penalty as there is no legitimate interest which means that the case would be thrown out if it went to Court.  Keep your money in your wallet and be prepared to ignore all their letters and threats. Doubtful they would go to Court since a lot more people would not pay when they heard  MET lost in Court. However they may just send you a Letter of Claim to test your resolve.  If yoy get one of those, come back to us and we will advise a snotty letter to send them.  You probably already have, but take a look through some of our past Met PCNs to see how they are doing.
    • Hello, been a while since I posted on here, really hoping for the same support an advice I received last time :-) Long, long story for us, but basically through bad choices, bad luck and bad advice ended up in an IVA in 2016. The accounts involved all defaulted, to be expected. In 2018, I got contacted by an 'independent advisor' advising me that I shouldn't be in an IVA, that it wasn't the solution for our circumstances and that they would guide us through the process of leaving the IVA and finding a better solution. I feel very stupid for taking this persons advice, and feel they prey on vulnerable people for their own financial gain (it ended with us paying our IVA monthly contribution to them)-long and short of it our IVA failed in 2018. At the same time the IVA failed we also had our shared ownership property voluntarily repossessed (to say this was an incredibly stressful time would be an understatement!) When we moved to our new (rented) property in August 2018, I was aware that creditors would start contacting us from the IVA failure. I got advice from another help website and started sending off SARs and CCAs request letters. I was advised not to bury my head and update our address etc and tackle each company as they came along. Initially there was quite a lot of correspondence, and I still get a daily missed call from PRA group (and the occasional letter from them), but not much else. However, yesterday i had a letter through from Lowell (and one from Capital One) advising that they had bought my debt and would like to speak with me regarding the account. There will be several.of these through our door i suspect, as we did have several accounts with Capital One. Capital One have written to us with regular statements over the last 5 years, and my last communication with them was to advise of of our new address (June 2019), I also note that all of these accounts received a small payment in Jan2019 (i'm assuming the funds from the failed IVA pot). Really sorry for the long long post, but just thought id give (some of) the background for context.... I guess my question at the moment is.....how do I respond to Lowell...do I wait for the inevitable other letters to arrive then deal with them all together or individually...? Do I send them a CCA?  Many thanks
    • hi all just got the reminder letter, I have attached it and also the 2nd side of the original 1st pcn (i just saw the edit above) Look forward to your advice Thanks   PCN final reminder.pdf pcn original side 2.pdf
    • The airline said it was offering to pay $10,000 to those who sustained minor injuries.View the full article
    • The Senate Finance Committee wants answers from BMW over its use of banned Chinese components by 21 June.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Invalid Default Notices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i would say that provided the DN is as laid down and identifies the creditor and debtor s names and addresses the details of the account and what the alleged default is etc etc and where the debtor should make payment to then it would not be an issue as to who issued or served the DN

Im with you - as the DCA can't facilitate a rolling credit agreement when the arrears have been paid this is termination.

Howver, there have been cases on CAG where the OC has withdrawn credit facilities (perhaps due to a change in circumstances of the debtor) whilst the account had an outstanding balance. The OC then still allows the debtor to make monthly repyaments at the same rate as before, just doesnt allow anymore borrowing.

So are we saying that in this instance there is no termination as the OC could choose to re-facillitate credit availabillity (however unlikely, dont think Ive ever heard of this happening)?

most agreements allow the creditor to restrict or prevent use of the card, to reduce or increase the credit limit without terminating the agreement

providing the debtor is still able to enjoy the benefit of repaying what is owed by montly instalments of his own choosing (subject usually to a mimimum) then the agreement endures and the creditor is not in breach

most agreements allow the creditor to restrict or prevent use of the card, to reduce or increase the credit limit without terminating the agreement

providing the debtor is still able to enjoy the benefit of repaying what is owed by montly instalments of his own choosing (subject usually to a mimimum) then the agreement endures and the creditor is not in breach

So a defaulted account sold to a DCA who doesn't demand the balance in full and allows monthly repayments at the same rate as the OC hasn't been terminated?

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

So a defaulted account sold to a DCA who doesn't demand the balance in full and allows monthly repayments at the same rate as the OC hasn't been terminated?

Don't think that is quire what DD means Haggis.

The OC can continue with the agreement letting you pay monthly minimum and may even let you have a credit limit, but if they sell it to a third party, who cannot offer those facilities, then they have to terminate to enable the sale.

Another aspect of termination is on CRA files. I recently noticed in my Experian records that a disputed account, not paid for 12 months is now marked as "8" which in the explanatory notes states "8 - terminated"

Now this a/c has the dodgiest DN ever dodged by Dodgy McDodge, and they demanded full balance months ago but have never sent a termination letter. I'm pretty sure the demanding full balance is enough evidence of termination, but wonder how the Experian report would stand up in Court...

Hi Elsa,

I think that is what shadow is saying and he is spot on in his first post on the matter.

The creditor issues a DN. If you can recify the default, then the agreement quite simply endures, as if the breach had never occured.

If they want to sell on the agreement, then it must be to someone who has the facilities to cary that agreement on.

If they want to sell the debt without an enduring agreement, then they need to default and terminate that agreement. They seem to think that they do not need to terminate an agreement officialy, often quoting s98, poor lambs. s 98 being for non default situations.

Demanding a ballance in full does end the agreement. s87-88.

It is worth a try with the CRA's regarding faulty DN's, but I think that the only sure way of removal is as part of the eventual court outcome, when you win.

Don't think that is quire what DD means Haggis.

The OC can continue with the agreement letting you pay monthly minimum and may even let you have a credit limit, but if they sell it to a third party, who cannot offer those facilities, then they have to terminate to enable the sale.

I think Ive finally got it :)

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

I'm not too sure you can start with 'I took out a cca' then change to 'alleged debt', especially if they have an agreement which kind of blows the alleged bit away?? Perhaps if you want to keep the alleged bit in you could amend 'took out a cca' to 'applied for an account' or similar.

Right I have received the first of the replies to the letters that I sent above to the 2 DCA's and Littlewoods.

1st Letter I have received is from Lowell Financial and they have wrote:

"Further to your previous correspondence regarding the above account.

We have queried Shop Direct who have now requested that we cease all activity on this account as it was passed in error to ourselves.

We apologise for any distress or inconvenience this matter may have caused you.

So that is good news, one DCA down hey. I received a letter from Cabot last week and they wrote that they have requested information from Littlewoods and will get in touch with me as soon as they hear anything.

Looking for a case if anyone can help out?! Will tip some scales to anyone who comes up with it :grin:.

The case refers to injury to credit and was perhaps after an unlawful rescission of contract. The vital component to the case was that the injured party did not have to prove actual loss, the mere entry of what turned out to be an invalid default notice on the credit file amounted to enough injury due to the importance society places on being able to obtain credit.

Have done an advanced search and just can't find out but I read it pretty recently on the forum so hopefully someone else read it too :p

Looking for a case if anyone can help out?! Will tip some scales to anyone who comes up with it :grin:.

The case refers to injury to credit and was perhaps after an unlawful rescission of contract. The vital component to the case was that the injured party did not have to prove actual loss, the mere entry of what turned out to be an invalid default notice on the credit file amounted to enough injury due to the importance society places on being able to obtain credit.

Have done an advanced search and just can't find out but I read it pretty recently on the forum so hopefully someone else read it too :p

Think you want Durkin vs DSG retail ;-)

• Haha 1

Do DCA hold a license to operate credit cards if not then it is obviously terminated as they cant keep to the original agrrement.thus taking away your rights under the contract.

your right to more credit is not your only right under the contract

wp3

Hello emandcole!

Looking for a case if anyone can help out?!

The case refers to injury to credit and was perhaps after an unlawful rescission of contract. The vital component to the case was that the injured party did not have to prove actual loss, the mere entry of what turned out to be an invalid default notice on the credit filelink3.gif amounted to enough injury due to the importance society places on being able to obtain credit.

Have done an advanced search and just can't find out but I read it pretty recently on the forum so hopefully someone else read it too

I think from what you say you may mean...

Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society

I regret I don't have a link for that, but there are PDF copies knocking around if you search on Google.

Cheers,

BRW

Hi.

Just had a DN issued by HSBC. The date of the DN was 23.2.10, it was sent first class and arrived today, 25.2.10. The DN gives me until 9.3.10 to remedy. If no reply by then they state they will terminate without further notice. What do you think?

My SAR produced an agreement but it didn't contain any PT's. Been at HSBC since September asking them to confirm where my agreement contained the PT's. They just refuse to reply and keep claiming the agreement is enforceable.

Cheers.

Brooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooce's success's so far:

Capital One - 15% f & f saving £4,250

Barclaycard - 25% f & f saving £12,000

Blackhorse - reduced loan settlement saving £1,605

Cahoot - 15% f & f saving £2,740

MBNA - 20% f & f saving £26,800

Lloyds TSB 28% f & f saving £7,377

Total written off to date: £54,772!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi.

Just had a DN issued by HSBC. The date of the DN was 23.2.10, it was sent first class and arrived today, 25.2.10. The DN gives me until 9.3.10 to remedy. If no reply by then they state they will terminate without further notice. What do you think

Cheers.

SHHHH! :D

I think they have forgotten that there are only 28 days in February.

Numpties:D

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

You reckon? I was thinking HSBC was starting my 14 days from the date of the letter not when I got it. Is this an unlawful repudiation?

You reckon? I was thinking HSBC was starting my 14 days from the date of the letter not when I got it. Is this an unlawful repudiation?

Not yet, They have to terminate the account first and yes they have probably started the 14 days from the date of your letter. I was just being fecetious:)

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Soooooooooooooooo, Foxxy, do I wait until after the 9th March, then send the acceptance letter? Or do I have to wait till they write advising the agreement is terminated (their letter says '..we will terminate the Agreement without further notice to you...'?

Cheers.

Sorry for Hijacking this thread..however...I have a DN dated 070109, with a repayment date of 26th Jan...I believe that it is 1 day short from reading the 'Requirement for a Valid Default Notice' etc., etc.,

I go to court on 1st March to set aside my Default CCJ and for my charging order hearing all at the same time. As far as I can see, I have not received official documentation to state that the account has been terminated. I just started to get letters from DCA's. It is now Incasso who are taking me to court. I just want to make sure that if I state my reasons to set aside my CCJ, are because the DN is invalid, and therefore the loan agreement in recission,....... that I do not have to have the account terminated by RBS first.

Help is greatly appreciated as time is short......:|

Many Many Thanks

I think that they will contact you after the 9th so wait for that then accept their termination but make no mention of it being unlawful as yet.

Cheers for that

Hello emandcole!

I think from what you say you may mean...

Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society

I regret I don't have a link for that, but there are PDF copies knocking around if you search on Google.

Cheers,

BRW

Hi BRW, just dishing out some scale tipping as promised to those who made a contribution but yours wouldn't let me as I've already done it too recently in the past. Didn't want you to think I'd forgotten my promise to do some scale tickling so I guess I owe you one :D.

Can I ask a question. From reading thru this thread, I gather I need to accept Welcome's offer of unlawful termination? My question is, I received my default and termination back in August 08, agreement taken out in Feb 08. I never received these notices until last year when I sar'd them, and have just sat on them until now as its now been 18months since they were issued, and Welcome have made no attempt to recover the car or haul me before a court! So, can I write and accept their offer of unlawful termination now, and only owe them a few months arrears? If I can it would be extremely helpful, car was 7.5k and total agreement is just short of 14k.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks