British Gas/Wescot PLEASE ADVISE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:eek:

I moved house in August 08. The gas and electric readings where taken and given to British Gas. I received two bills at my new home. I was not trying to move and not let them know - gave them all my contact details etc. I rang BG up and agreed a payment plan. True to my word when the date came to pay the first installment I spoke with a BG representative who took my debit card details and I agreed to pay £50 off the gas and a further £50 off the electric. simple. I was then to pay two further monthly installments to pay off the debt on both elect & gas.

This is where it goes wrong. When I checked my bank balance I saw that BG had taken out 3 x £50 not 2 as I authorised. After a lot of phone calls to BG who basically said it was my banks error not mine. A lot of speaking with my bank who said it was BG error. My bank paid me back the £50 and I only ended up paying a £5 charge to the bank as opposed to the £30 charge they tried at first.

I told BG I would not be paying any further payments by debit card and I wanted payment/giro forms sending out so I could pay through the post office. This never materialised and I since received letters from "Central Recoveries" based in Cheshire who stated that legal action 'could' be taken or they could arrange for a debt collector to visit my home and demand the outstanding balance. I ignored this letter as I had already told them I wanted giro's to pay at the post office.

Today I have received a letter from Moorcroft - Pre Court Division saying

We have been instructed by BG to collect overdue debt for old address. It is a legal requirement to send a notice of intended litigation before legal proceedings in the CC are issued. This letter fulfills this requirement even if it is not actually read by you.

To prevent legal action being taken it is essential that you settle this debt without delay, payment in 7 days failure to contact us by 10am on 17/01/09 may result in legal proceedings being issued against you without further notice.

They go on to mention about possiblility of bailifs; attachment to earnings etc.

Also state that usually all legal costs incurred are payable by the debtor.

My question is this? How come BG mess up my payments, then agree to let me pay at Post Office then dont send me the paperwork and now pass on my details to 2 different DCA, and I am in the wrong????

All I wanted was to pay in a way that meant BG would not mess up my bank account and in a way that I could afford I only owe £75 on one and £65 on the other.

What do you suggest I do now. I dont want legal costs or a CCJ.

Thanks

[quote name=closeshave

This letter fulfills this requirement even if it is not actually read by you.

I do love that bit :D

Top & bottom of it all is that Moorcroft are full of hot air as many will tell you on here.

They wont actually do anything other than send threatograms out :rolleyes:

well as already said

its a dca so totally ignore them!

can i suggest something that you could of done already?

either use internet banking or walk into you bank and pay it over the counter

all you need is thie bank a/c and sort code and the ref number will be your a/c...simple.

you dont need payment slips etc from bg at all

any debt can be paid like this.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for all your help - I dont have the bank account no or sort code so I cant pay it over the counter in a bank and I didnt want to use internet banking in case they could trace my bank account as they have already messed me about with the card payment i made. Also if I pay over the counter how do they know it is from me?

Thanks

So what do I do now - just wait and see what they send next?

I'd consider talking to my MP's office on this - they have a brief to assist their constituents in things like this, and have direct contact with the energy companies.

If you tell them you want to pay, and always have, but that BG have set the dogs onto you, I'm sure they will try to get this reverted back to paying BG without penalty . No harm in trying?

I've a big argument with npower about a pre-payment meter issue and my MP has been very helpful to date.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Thanks for all your help - I dont have the bank account no or sort code so I cant pay it over the counter in a bank and I didnt want to use internet banking in case they could trace my bank account as they have already messed me about with the card payment i made. Also if I pay over the counter how do they know it is from me?

Thanks

So what do I do now - just wait and see what they send next?

you do have the info, its on the bg website

then just use your bg account number as your payment ref number on the slip at the bank

do it all the time

dxl

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone

I hope you can give me some advice on this please.

I have today received a "RED" letter from Wescot stating FINAL NOTICE. They say despite previous correspondence a balance still remains outstanding on the above debt!!!!

They go on to say that unless I make the payment within 14 days a claim form/summons may be lodged with Hull C C. The breakdown is as follows:-

Amount claimed £61.47

Legal Expenses £80.00

Total Amount £141.47

Now I had an agreement with BG to pay this bill in installments, but when I paid the first installment over the phone by debit card, I agreed to pay £50 but they took 2 x £50 it took a lot of arguing and in the end my bank kindly believed me and they gave me back the £50 and said they would claim the money back from BG.

I then told BG that I would pay the remaining debt to them and they agreed to send me some Giro's to pay it at the Post Office. Nothing turned up and then I got a threatening letter from a DCA called Moorcroft. I ignored them and now a few months later I have this letter from Wescot. I have had nothing from BG saying they have handed this over to anyone and nothing from Moorcroft or Wescot to explain what the bill is for. It does not state anytghing except their client is BG and its for electricity supplied. Does not state the address supplied to or anything. Also this demand is only in my name and the supplies where in both mine and my husband's name so why has this come purely in my name?

I am due to leave my home temporarily to look after a very sick relative and I dont want to come back to a summons or the bailiffs. What do you suggest.

Thanks

CS

Hi

No it has not gone to Court as far as I know. But i dont have any account numbers etc to pay it direct i was waiting for the BG people to send me the paperwork. I dont want to pay it over the phone like last time as they made a mistake and I ended up overdrawn and it took me ages to get straight again.

Hi

Sorry for pestering you

So you would not send an email to this Sam Laidlaw who is the Chief Executive asking fro an explanation?

I have just rummaged through my old paperwork and managed to find an old bill with my customer reference numbr on it - what do i do now? Go onto British Gas Web Site and then what do I do?

Thanks again for your help

I have just tried to make a payment online with British Gas but it is saying they are unable to support this account online and have given a telephone number to ring, which is the same one as the number I rang originally to pay when they messed up my payment.

HELP!!! why is it so difficult to pay this bill?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I Left my previous address last year and owed some money to British gas for gas and electricity. I made agreement to pay and to cut a long story short they messed up the payment and deducted too much from my debit card so I stopped paying this was and asked for a giro/payment method through the post office. Nothing was forthcoming.

I have had a letter in December 08 from Central Recoveries at British Gas saying if I paid it off within 14 days they would knock 30% off the balance. I wasnt able to take advantage of this offer then, and I did have a lot on my mind at the time as I was just coping with a newly diagnosed serious illness.

Anyway. I have now received a letter from Nelson Guest & Partners today saying that they want the full amount within 7 days it states that I may consider this debt too small to warrant legal proceedings but they are firmly instructed to commence legal proceedings. And then all the guff about in event of judgement being obtained they shall seek fixed costs and fees together with stat interest.

They say the sum owed currently is relatively small and they would reasonably advise me to settle this issue forthwith without further expense and cost to myself.

I have just rung British Gas and after being passed around I got through to someone in Central Recoveries, I explained it all to him and that I could pay the discounted sum today but I didnt have the full amount, he said he would speak to a supervisor, I overheard his conversation and the "supervisor" said the offer was no longer valid but if he wanted to take it then it was up to him or he could send me to Wescot. Guess what he did!! yes said he couldnt do anything and I would have to ring Wescot now.

I have no intention of ringing these people as I have read quite a lot on here about the pitfalls of ringing these people.

What do I do now please????

Thanks

Sorry just noticed a DISCLAIMER on the back reads that Nelson Guest & Partners have specific instruction not to deal with any queries arising from the info in the letter and understand that you have been offered all info needed to enable me to settle this account. To resolve this matter quickly please refer all queries to Wescot Credit Services Ltd in writing - Hull

Edited by closeshave
just seen disclaimer on back of letter

Hi

I have just started to receive calls on my mobile from Wescott and they are not very nice people I can tell you. I have told them that I am not prepared to speak over the phone and to put it in writing and they have said that I have to speak to them it is the law!!! and which law is this then? I am not paying the extortionate amount they want.

I have tried to speak with British gas to pay them the amount owing but they have said I have to deal with Wescot now.

What would anyone suggest I do now?

Thanks

Can someone advise please? I am getting phone calls from Wescot on my mobile at different times of the day. I have told them I will be writing to them but they say I have to sort it out over the phone and they have the law on their side////// yeah right

Anyway I do not see why I have to pay the full amount plus all their garbled expenses on top, when BG offered me a settlement figure in December 2008 but then because BG messed up my debit card payment I wouldnt pay over the phone and they said it was up to me.

I spoke to BG last week and asked to pay the reduced amount but they have said the offer is now withdrawn and they also said I have to deal with Wescot not them.

I cant pay BG online as it keeps coming up saying that this account does not support payment online.......

I really do not want to deal with Wescot and I do not want to pay extra charges, being as I dont have much money in the first place.

Sorry this is so long but I am getting upset and worked up now and dont know what to do.

Thanks

Hi,

My mum had trouble with British Gas last year. Asked her to pay a debt she disputed. They passed the debt around until it was sold to Robinson Way. I asked for the cca which neither could provide because nothing was ever signed. British Gas removed the default notice & Robinson Way backed off.

Before you accept any debt follow precedure & make them work. Don't pay anything until they have provided you with all the information you have a legal right to have.

LD

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I got a caller to the front door last night who wanted me to confirmed my name and address, he also asked if i minded speaking in front of my son and husband and that he had to ask me this for data protection purposes. I said i did not wish to discuss anything with anyone on my doorstep and that if anyone wanted to say anything to me they should put it in writing and post it to me and then I would deal with it as I found relevant. He wasnt abusive or nasty, however he did say that it was from an outstanding debt with BG and that it was for a significantly small sum and that if i did not deal with him it would be returned to BG and it would end up being a significantly high figure owed when all the expenses had been added on to it......

He did not make me aware of what company he was from, or his name or give me a card to say who had called. I did not sign anything, what he did say was that he was noting that i refused to discuss it with him and that I wanted returning to BG... (i didnt actually say that).

I am now worried that because someone has been to my front door, they could come again but more heavy handed next time. I thought they were not allowed to do this. Also, when he had his book open i noticed that it said "Scotcall" in red on a card inside the book, so i presume this guy is from a company called Scotcall......

what do I do now? Can they go straight to Court and who the hell owns this so called debt? I am really confused, and I would be really really grateful if anyone could give me some advice asap please.

thanks