• Tweets

• What type of finance is it?   HP, PCP, Loan? They want her to ring so they can bully her into making payments she can't afford...unless she can record her calls then IMHO, I'd keep everything in writing. Is £400 SSP her only income? There's no chance they will justify taking half of that.   Lodge a formal complaint with them ASAP, exhaust it, and then you can escalate it sooner rather than later, ruddy sharks!  
    • Is all of this actually on the signage? Don't remember seeing that much detail on other threads.
    • If I have learnt one thing from this forum, it's not to call and communicate via email. I passed this info on to her and they are pushing for her to call them.    "Unfortunately, you will need to call us. The conversation won’t be so black and white as to therefore type over email. In a nutshell we can confirm that the request to not pay for 3 months we cannot put in place"  I emailed them back on her behalf and said that what ever is discussed over the phone will need to be put in an email so that she can review it properly. No decisions will be made on that phone call.    "Once we speak to you on the phone we will follow up with an email to confirm the options discussed. [Phone number]"   Why are they pushing for a phone call? If its not so black and white, why can they then follow up with an email?  
    • Appreciate input Andy, updated: IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;     I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim.   1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. The Defendant has not entered any contract with the Claimant. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 21/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Claimant has been unjustly enriched at the expense of the Defendant by purchasing bulk debt at a greatly reduced cost and subrogating for the original creditor in trying to recuperate the full amount of the original debt 12. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

What if the Judge asks..................... ....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bumping this one up as I will be in Court with Nat West shortly and got everything sussed apart from this question!!!

HAK

I think I may say is that I had several accounts with Nat West and I have no idea about this one. This is why I need to see the signed credit agreement with all the perscribed terms setting out the interest rate and the date the account started. (all they have is an application form with no perscribed terms and its only about 3" x6" in size as they have scanned it on to a pc) When it is blown up to A4 its unreadable.

I got asked this question recently - nothing to do with credit cards but still the same question:

"Did you have the money?"

"Yes, Ma'am. I have never denied having the money. It is the terms under which I received the money which are at issue here."

Then point out the CCA 74 bit which says that an original must be brought to the court, and even Carey may help you here as although it says that a reconstruction can satisfy s77/78 it also says that the original must be brought to court to enforce the agreement. (Sorry I don't have the specific paras on that, but it will be on that thread.)

You are basically asking how you can defend properly without sight of the original agreement.

Well the only reason that NATWEST are in court today is because of the British public they in them self are bankrupt.

Because of their lending policy and the way they run their business I am here to.

It is for you to decided who is the guilty party as I have lay out in my defence I do not believe I am.

I HOPE YOU GET THE DRIFT SPIN IT.

lilly

I got asked this question recently - nothing to do with credit cards but still the same question:

"Did you have the money?"

"Yes, Ma'am. I have never denied having the money. It is the terms under which I received the money which are at issue here."

Then point out the CCA 74 bit which says that an original must be brought to the court, and even Carey may help you here as although it says that a reconstruction can satisfy s77/78 it also says that the original must be brought to court to enforce the agreement. (Sorry I don't have the specific paras on that, but it will be on that thread.)

You are basically asking how you can defend properly without sight of the original agreement.

i dont think that cca 1974 says that the original MUST be brought to the court- it says that it SHOULD be brought to court- hence the confusion and argument as to what was really meant

Well I want be visting Court this time as had a letter form Natwest Solictors telling me they want to discontinue the case as i have filled a defence...LOL

"Further, the Money Laundering Regs make it a serious criminal offence punishable by 10 years in prison for each director of the company, for the claimant not to keep this paperwork, so I believe that they must have a copy of the agreement."

Excellent piece of legislation. What year was this law passed because I want to quote it on my letters to DCA's? I am surprised that it isn't on some of our template letters.

If you use the Money Laundering regs right, DCA'S will just give up. You need to bully trading standards into acting. Believe me they will if you start making a fuss and tell them that they are as bad as the DCA'S.

I know at least one DCA & OC were visited by 2 different trading standards areas, after I reported them to Trading Standards. Shut them straight up. Got a grovelly apology from them both basicly apologising for ever asking me to pay!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
it also helps to refer back to previous case law

for instance if you were to get a man with a scarf around his head to burst into court every 15 minutes and touch up every womens breasts it would help convince the judge you know your stuff

when he asks what that was all about you could say

well m'lud in xxxxxxxxx v xxxxxxxxx which is a similar case- it says in the court minutes that every now and then a muffled titter ran around the courtroom!!

I spent another couple of hours reading through this thread last night and I know it's a very serious one and one that I may face myself very soon, but I couldn't help but fall about laughing at this last night! Thanks DD for lightening my mood.

< < < < If I can help I will and if I have helped please tip my scales. :|

Please keep this site alive by downloading the great new CAG toolbar - keeps all your subscribed threads in one easy to use place. http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/cag_plugin.php Use the search facility regularly and CAG generates much needed money!

In my opinion the question (which is usually asked by the other side or sometimes the judge) is done for effect since no matter how sincere the answer it can be an awkward one

the way (IMO) to deal with it is to put it right at the head of your defence at item one, thus:-

The Defendant admits entering into an agreement with the Claimant and which was regulated by The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (The Act). No admissions are made as to the terms, conditions or other provisions of the agreement and the extent to which the Claimant may or may not have complied therewith and the extent to which the Defendant may or may not have complied therewith. Further and alternatively, it is denied that the agreement was properly executed and/or is now enforceable in whole or in part.

then you have stolen their thunder

IF the question is asked - refer the court to that part of your statement

Hi DD, this stance sounds so sensible & obvious to me that I am tempted to use it at the top of my defences. Are there any possible problems with using this argument instead of the "I neither admit nor deny ..."

Please keep this site alive by downloading the great new CAG toolbar - keeps all your subscribed threads in one easy to use place. http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/cag_plugin.php Use the search facility regularly and CAG generates much needed money!

well unless you are a rarity there are going to be hundreds of documents which prove that you borrowed money from the claimant.

Although some judges do - they will always mis direct themselves if they ever award judgement against you on the basis of "you borrow it- you must pay it back)

further few creditors will ever want an appeal heard on such a point for fear of setting a precedent against them so i suggest that an application to appeal will flush out the creditor to back down- the more so because now you can oppose an application by the creditor to discontinue - where you can show that it would be in the public interest for the court to make a finding

i am in with mbna this week on a sj hearing and as far as i am concerned if they lose they lose and if the win they lose as i would immediately appeal and resist any attempt by the to then discontinue

getting back to it

what you are saying is "i know there is a debt- " and even if the debt is legally unenforceable i will still owe a debt- but the purpose of this hearing is to establish whether the claimant had an executed and/or legally enforceable agreement

once the court decides no- then it is none of the courts business how i negotiate ( if at all) with the creditor over his unenforceable debt.

i suspect that the question in court catches people off guard and our friends at Restons and the like will always put a line in their statements to the effect the the defendant is being speculative or seeking loopholes

the fluster that it can cause can put folk off balance

my own attitude is up front and in yer face

if the judge knows that you fully understand the difference between legalities and morals he is less likely to shaft you in favour of the claimant - and if he does its a fair bet you are going to ask him to make his reasons clear for his decision and to record the fact that he said "those words" to you ( you borrowed it so you must pay)

purely IMO although the phrase you quote is a standard phrase- i do feel that most judges will think a LIP is being a clever dick using it

if you don't deny a debt to a creditor-

then why start off with the judge thinking that you are a liar and tainting the rest of your evidence

BOTH parties sign up to agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the agreement- you are just as entitled to use the terms and conditions to your advantage as your opponent

when you do so you are "looking for loopholes"

when the creditor does it- he is enforcing the agreement!!

Edited by diddydicky

DD, I am only just learning (by reading and reading, and then more reading, especially the relevant but very difficult parts of statute that apply). However, and by no means able to give a legal opinion, I really do see the point of admitting a relationship with the claimant right from the start - but has it actually been used successfully by anyone yet? I did read the use of it in one of your poc but I can't remember which case? Was it the MBNA one you had success with today?

Other than admitting a relationship in my defense from the start, and although there have been some great, some not so great and some really informative replies to the initial question I would go with twofoot's very early response. Again, because for me, there actually is a reasonably large element of truth in it. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable saying it out loud and it wouldn't take much practice.

I cannot be sure sir as I owe lots to several companies and I've had several companies chasing the same debt on more than one occasion. It's a job to know who I owe the money to, that's why I requested the appropiate paperwork.

If the question comes up, quote the law from the two leading cases thus:

Wilson and others v. Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (Appellant) [2003] UKHL 40

Lord Nicholls of Birkenhead

“Restitution

46. Before considering whether section 127(3) is compatible with article 1 of the First Protocol I must digress to deal with two preliminary matters. The first concerns the legal consequences of section 127(3). When a regulated agreement is rendered irredeemably unenforceable by section 127(3), the lender is unable to enforce the agreement. But does he, quite apart from his (unenforceable) rights under the agreement, have a restitutionary claim against the borrower in respect of the money lent? The parties to the agreement intended the money would be repayable in accordance with the terms of the agreement. Inability to enforce the terms of the agreement does not inevitably carry with it the consequence that the borrower may simply keep the money. Retention of the money, it is said, would be unjust enrichment, for which the appropriate remedy would be an order that the borrower repay what was never intended to be other than a loan. Reliance was placed, by way of analogy, on the decision of the Court of Appeal in Westdeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale v Islington London Borough Council [1994] 1 WLR 938. There a bank paid money to a local authority under an interest rate swap agreement, which was held later to be outside the local authority's powers. The local authority had been unjustly enriched and the bank was entitled to a restitutionary remedy.

49. I consider, however, that there is no relevant restitutionary remedy generally available to a lender in the circumstances now under consideration. The message to be gleaned from sections 65, 106, 113 and 127 of the Consumer Credit Act is that where a court dismisses an application for an enforcement order under section 65 the lender is intended by Parliament to be left without recourse against the borrower in respect of the loan. That being the consequence intended by Parliament, the lender cannot assert at common law that the borrower has been unjustly enriched. That would be inconsistent with the parliamentary intention in rendering the entire agreement unenforceable. True, the Consumer Credit Act does not expressly negative any other remedy available to the lender, nor does it render an improperly executed agreement unlawful. But when legislation renders the entire agreement inoperative, to use a neutral word, for failure to comply with prescribed formalities the legislation itself is the primary source of guidance on what are the legal consequences. Here the intention of Parliament is clear.

50. This interpretation of the Consumer Credit Act accords with the approach adopted by the House in Orakpo v Manson Investments Ltd [1978] AC 95, regarding section 6 of the Moneylenders Act 1927 and, more recently, in Dimond v Lovell [2002] 1 AC 384, another case where section 127(3) precluded the making of an enforcement order. In Dimond's case the restitutionary remedy sought was payment of the hire charge for a replacement car used by Mrs Dimond. The House rejected a claim advanced on the basis of unjust enrichment. Lord Hoffmann observed that Parliament contemplated that a debtor might be enriched consequential upon non-enforcement of an agreement pursuant to the statutory provisions. It was not open to the court to say this consequence is unjust and should be reversed by a remedy at common law: [2002] 1 AC 384, 397-398.

Hoffman, L.

The real difficulty, as it seems to me, is that to treat Mrs. Dimond as having been unjustly enriched would be inconsistent with the purpose of section 61(1). Parliament intended that if a consumer credit agreement was improperly executed, then subject to the enforcement powers of the court, the debtor should not have to pay. This meant that Parliament contemplated that he might be enriched and I do not see how it is open to the court to say that this consequence is unjust and should be reversed by a remedy at common law: compare Orakpo v. Manson Investments Ltd. [1978] A.C. 95.

Dimond v. Lovell [2000] UKHL 27; [2000] 2 All ER 897; [2000] 2 WLR 1121 (11th May, 2000)

In short, if a creditor does not have an enforceable agreement then tough luck, he looses!

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

hi all i have just faced this very question, my answer was not that i am aware sir he asked it about 5 or 6 times and even said why would someone sue you if you did not owe them money in the end he still set aside my stat demand because he said he had no choice

hi all i have just faced this very question, my answer was not that i am aware sir he asked it about 5 or 6 times and even said why would someone sue you if you did not owe them money in the end he still set aside my stat demand because he said he had no choice

''not that I am aware'' is hardly an answer!

No wonder judge set-aside

m2ae

DD, I am only just learning (by reading and reading, and then more reading, especially the relevant but very difficult parts of statute that apply). However, and by no means able to give a legal opinion, I really do see the point of admitting a relationship with the claimant right from the start - but has it actually been used successfully by anyone yet? I did read the use of it in one of your poc but I can't remember which case? Was it the MBNA one you had success with today?

Other than admitting a relationship in my defense from the start, and although there have been some great, some not so great and some really informative replies to the initial question I would go with twofoot's very early response. Again, because for me, there actually is a reasonably large element of truth in it. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable saying it out loud and it wouldn't take much practice.

yes.me, yesterday!!

its a personal opinion - but IMO if you want the judge to beleive your evidence rather than that of your opponent then you could do not better than be honest right from the start

there is absolultely NOTHING WRONg with stating that you agree you owe a debt- but that you are as entitled to enforce the terms and conditions of an agreements of a lawfull agreement as the other party - or to dispute the existence of a lawful agreement if you think there isnt one

it always grates with me that creditors stand in court and tell the judge the defendant is looking for "loopholes" and "technicalities" to avoid their obligations - whilst using exactly the same technicalities themselves and then calling that enforcement

• 3 weeks later...

Further more I refer to Sir Andrew Morritt's judgment in Wilson and FCT [2001] EWCA Civ 633 in the Court of Appeal at Para 26

In effect, the creditor--by failing to ensure that he obtained a document signed by the debtor which contained all the prescribed terms--must (in the light of the provisions in ss 65(1) and 127(3) of the 1974 Act) be taken to have made a voluntary disposition, or gift, of the loan moneys to the debtor. The creditor had chosen to part with the moneys in circumstances in which it was never entitled to have them repaid;