Is defendant liable for costs if DN does not comply?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Arrived home this evening to find letter from claimant's solicitor.

"Please find enclosed, by way of service, our clients Notice of Discontinuance in respect of the current proceedings."

Edited by Moral Dilemma

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MD

It might be a good idea to still go to the courts on Monday with all ur paper work etc and see what the courts say and advise on the day.

You could even write up and print of a document asking for the court usher to sign to say that the hearing was vacated and that you did attend the hearing.

In fact, Godmother, think you advise is best, will turn up with my paper work and see what they say.

As for the next move, a notice of discontinuance changes everything. They've thrown the towel in and there is no need to turn up at court. The claim against you is over and the only thing to be decided is the amount of costs they should be paying to you.

x20

I'll hold off on the celebratory drink until Monday and I get confirmation from the court that claim has been discontinued (just in case).

Once I have got confirmation I'll work out my costs.

I've seen a letter on one of threads about foregoing costs if claimant agree to marking account settled in full with CRA's and a written assurance debt will not be pursued or sold on and default removed from credit file. I may try that approach just so I can be sure this one won't come back.

I'll hold off on the celebratory drink until Monday and I get confirmation from the court that claim has been discontinued (just in case). I would advocate that also, has been known the Court have not recieved it and you dont turn up:cool:

I've seen a letter on one of threads about foregoing costs if claimant agree to marking account settled in full with CRA's and a written assurance debt will not be pursued or sold on and default removed from credit file. I may try that approach just so I can be sure this one won't come back.

Regards

Andy;)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

IMHO, I would turn up at court just in case they are pulling a fast one, youve already booked a day off for this, so it wouldnt be unreasonable to add that to your costs. I'd definitely hammer them for costs as well as getting them to stop selling on etc.

I'll hold off on the celebratory drink until Monday and I get confirmation from the court that claim has been discontinued (just in case).

Oh yes, go to court on Monday, don't trust the b*ggers an inch - but it's still looking good. Best of luck with it:)

Going to court on Monday isn't going to cost anything but time (the only thing I've got plenty of at the moment). As you say Bazaar they could be pulling a fast one and would hate to think I had fought them this far and got trip up at the end.

As underdog13 has said "Don't trust the b*ggers an inch".

Once u get to court u wil need to speak to an usher. REMEMBER, i cant say this enought BTW, to take ALL papewrwork with u including the discontinuance letter u recieved.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Been to the Court this morning and have now got a better idea of what happened (YES THEY DISCONTINUED).

Managed to speak to Court Manager who confirmed the following: Court had received, last Monday, my bundle of documents as evidence for the hearing (which I knew as I delivered by hand).

On Tuesday afternoon Court contacted by Claimant's Solicitors to say they wished to adjourn the hearing for the following Monday and that they intended to withdraw their application for Summary Judgment.

Court heard nothing further until they received Notice of Discontinuance from Claimant late on Thursday, at which point the hearing was vacated.

On Thursday the Court had problems with their computers and not all files got update correctly until late Friday morning.

When I rang on Friday morning the person I had spoken to could only use the information they had from Wednesday which showed on their diary as “SJ Application withdrawn. File with DDJ XXXXXX”.

This person obviously presumed file was with DDJ for allocation as that would be the next stage of the claim and passed this info onto me adding that due to current backlog could be four to six weeks.

Court Manager confirmed "Claim now recorded as DISCONTINUED".

As I was leaving Court Manager made the comment:

"… at times with these claims it's a case of who blinks first, with this claim it was the Claimant".

Great news well done..

As I was leaving Court Manager made the comment:

"… at times with these claims it's a case of who blinks first, with this claim it was the Claimant".

What a wonderful wasy to sum up how litigation works because 9 times out of 10 its the defendant

Live Life-Debt Free

Thanks everyone, just enjoyed an ice cold Stella (only 1 as have to be at work for six in the morning.) It went done very well.

x20, I've taken a look at thread you mention and downloaded copy of your Draft LIP bill, will sit down tomorrow after work and work out costs.

However, like GoonerHenry, I dont expect this to be the end of it…

The nice letter has no teeth. That's perhaps why it's 'nice'. The other side will grin to themselves and thank the Lord you've never heard of a N252 notice of commencement.

In my view you're better off producing your bill and sending it with a N252. That way the 21 day clock starts ticking and they'll know they're not dealing with a pushover. I just posted a draft N252 to Gooner's thread as well.

x20