Possible Doorstep Visit - Please Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5590 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was out last night at a class and my son was at home watching the TV. he telephoned me at 7.30pm to say that someone had been knocking on the door.

He was watching TV and he put the TV on pause and waited until he thought that person had gone. They knocked again and then he said he thought they went back to the car, so he carried on watching TV only for whoever was at the door to start banging the letter box.

He didnt answer as he has been told in no uncertain terms to acknowledge that he is in.

Anyway he said he heard the car go and about 2 mins later the landline rang. It was a mobile number, he didnt pick it up as he knew it wasnt me calling as he knows my number.

I telephoned the mobile number back and a lady answered and said "hello", as I had with held my number I just put it down. I rang it again today and a guy answered the phone "hello", well I assume it was a guy, it wasnt very clear.

No message was left and no card or anything was put through the door.

Now I know BCW and BT have my number and the usual SKY etc., but surely if it was that urgent or important they would have stuck a note through the door?

Could it have been Virgin Media perhaps as they keep shoving cards through my door wanting me to sign up, yet nothing was put through. If my son hadnt been home, I would be none the wiser.

I am probably asking a daft question, as no one knows who this was shall I just leave it or expect another bang on the door?

Jo

MY personal thoughts would be to leave it but expect a repeat. You could have the "Head off home visits" letter, in generic form, ready just on the off chance its a DCA.

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing. I have noted your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully/sincerely,

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

If there is any worry about this 'visit' I would call my local Police and report it as suspicious.

As the caller did not leave a note or anything, I would doubt it was a doorstepper from a DCA, or Virgin come to that. They would leave something to say they had called, if only to back up a claim for commission with their 'employer'!

Give the Police the mobile number too, you don't even know if that is connected with the knock at this stage.

As Mr Ton says, 999 if they are at the door and it looks like trouble. How are you to know who it is? Otherwise, local plod number to report it.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Thanks guys, I will definitely send that letter off should I find out who it was.

It might be something of nothing, but for them to knock on the door and then ring the landline makes it a bit odd, they didnt ring the mobile and anyone chasing me for debts, has both!

I guess at the end of the day anyone can have lights and the TV on, doesnt mean they are home, it just for security purposes isnt it?

mmmm well me thinks it was BCW!

When I got home last night, I had a missed call on the landline, no message though.

Did 1471 and rang the number back and it was outgoing line only from BCW.

Think I have put 2 and 2 together and maybe got 4 this time!

I feel a letter coming on!

Whenever I get a strange call I always Google it as soon as I can, rather than call it. By calling their number (unless you with-hold your number of course) you just confirm that they've reached someone who was curious enough to call them back. Some systems can log the caller ID.

I've just had 7 weeks of hell from Crapital One through that, where someone in my own family had called them at some point, and my number was then registered against their account for contact.

Another useful site for things like this is Phone Call Comments. Enter the number in there and see how many other people are getting the same hassle.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

A bald bloke knocked my door last night asking for some random previous tennant.

Conversation went like this.

DC: Does ms ***** **** live here ?

Me: No

DC: Has she ever lived here ?

Me: Yes........... What are you ?? A debt collector ?

DC: Yes

Me: Door closes.

Ive rang the DCA and offered a forwarding address at the very low price of £50 to cover my administration fee but they are just not that intrested so they can come to my house all they want and I will continue to waste there time.

The moral of this story is this............ A Debt collection agency have no rights to be knocking at your door. They cannot seize anything, they cannot do anything. They are nobody. There is nothing to be scared of. If they visit, find out who they are before confirming anything and if you dont want to speak to them just close the door. If they persist call the police and tell them someone is trying to break in.

p.s that is a true story and did happen last night. Coincedence ? Possibly. It was BCW too. Im from Milton Keynes so if you are to then it may have been the same guy.

Edited by ashmk

That's exactly what I did, I always google the numbers I don't recognise and I certainly don't pick them up if I don't recognise them.

I did 1471 when I called them back and they put the phone down on me once I didnt say anything.

BCW are getting a "pi** off" letter don't come knocking on my door sent recorded delivery today just to be safe!

Ive rang the DCA and offered a forwarding address at the very low price of £50 to cover my administration fee

lol Brilliant:D

Easy to say when it's not me being harrassed but honestly don't worry too much loobyloo. As others have said they have no powers at all.

I can understand it's a hassle that isn't needed though:(

If you keep a copy of the 'revoke licence' letter by the door then all you need do is open it and had it over then close the door. No need to engage in conversation other than to confirm they are a dc. Fingers crossed that will be enough for them to report back to the office and give up on the tactic. They keep trying at the moment because they haven't met resistance yet.

Capquest - No cca yet - OC sent what they think is a CCA - account on hold - no contact since

Lewis - Lost their tongue after cca request:roll: -

Now in default of my CCA request - still no contact since:D

Fredrickson - No cca yet - Now in default of my request - now stopped contact with me:rolleyes: **UPDATE** April - Sent back £1 p/o and gave up!!!!!!!!!!

1ST Credit - CCA request sent - now stopped contact with me

Well im 6ft2 with a shaved head so theres not many people that would argue with me but still .... Dont be afraid. They cant do anything.

Other than to collect payment the key thing that a doorstep call is used for is to scare you into making contact. Please stop being scared and tonight just leave your lights on as normal. Dont be frightened by these muppets.

Thanks for the support guys, its really appreciated. These idiots are getting a CCA request letter AND a pi** off don't knock on my door letter sent recorded today!

The trouble is, if they see someone that is home surely they will just keep knocking and knocking or do you think they will eventually give up?

Is it worth ringing the mobile number again and asking if he is from BCW and if he is tell him he is trespassing and/or breaking OFT guidelines etc as I havent asked for a door step visit?

I have to say this website is great, I was starting to ignore my debt letters, but now I am opening them up and dealing with them all thanks to this site and all the people on here that seem so helpful!

If someone knocks at your door, ask through the letterbox who it is and if its a debt collector tell them to leave your property or you will call the police.

There really is no need to be afraid of these people. They can do nothing.

If it is the dca then just remember if you answer the door they won't try and force their way in or threaten to empty your house of your possesions, they're not baliffs. They will more than likely attempt a verbal charm approach to arange a repayment plan.

My sister had a dc at the door using this exact tactic, she handed over the 'revoke licence' letter and told him next time she will report him as a tresspasser and any futher communication will be in writting only.

There was no argument, no threats or aggression, no 'foot in the door' or anything bad. He just politley agreed, took the letter and he nor anyone else ever came round again.

Capquest - No cca yet - OC sent what they think is a CCA - account on hold - no contact since

Lewis - Lost their tongue after cca request:roll: -

Now in default of my CCA request - still no contact since:D

Fredrickson - No cca yet - Now in default of my request - now stopped contact with me:rolleyes: **UPDATE** April - Sent back £1 p/o and gave up!!!!!!!!!!

1ST Credit - CCA request sent - now stopped contact with me

Thanks for the support guys, its really appreciated. These idiots are getting a CCA request letter AND a pi** off don't knock on my door letter sent recorded today!

The trouble is, if they see someone that is home surely they will just keep knocking and knocking or do you think they will eventually give up?

Is it worth ringing the mobile number again and asking if he is from BCW and if he is tell him he is trespassing and/or breaking OFT guidelines etc as I havent asked for a door step visit?

I have to say this website is great, I was starting to ignore my debt letters, but now I am opening them up and dealing with them all thanks to this site and all the people on here that seem so helpful!

No they won't stand there all night knocking, they have a number of accounts they are given and will try and get through as many as possible in a night as it's just a numbers game, the more people they see the more chances they get of getting money out of people. If they stood outside your house all night knowing full well you weren't going to open your door it is preventing them from potentially talking someone else into making payments on a debt.

That's kinda what I thought. This one certainly knocked three or four times before giving up, clearly knew my son wasnt going to answer the door!

Am I right in thinking that unless they give me some form of Court Order, I can pay them what I want each week/month regardless of them telling me to pay more?

That's kinda what I thought. This one certainly knocked three or four times before giving up, clearly knew my son wasnt going to answer the door!

Am I right in thinking that unless they give me some form of Court Order, I can pay them what I want each week/month regardless of them telling me to pay more?

Yes you can make any offer you want and they pretty well much have to accept it.

Many moons ago I was doorstepped by a DCA, he was looking for a previous tenant & I explained that I had only just moved in and didn't know where they had moved to etc. He wasn't having any of it accusing me of being the person he was looking for and ranted on that he wanted *his* money, that he wasn't going to leave without payment, putting his foot between the door & frame as I non too casually closed the door.

I think he learned a very hard and painful lesson that evening, it is not a good idea to put one's Hush Puppy, crepe soled clad foot between an extremely heavy oak door & frame which are rapidly coming into contact with one another.:D

So I could pay them £5 a week and they cant do a thing about it?

They could apply for a CCJ but a Judge would only order you to pay what he thinks you could reasonably afford which could be as little as a £1 per month.

However, there are several avenues a creditor can take dependant on a number of factors so you must seek advice before you decide what action to take. For instance roughly the amount of debt owed, what type of debt it is, whether you are a property owner all figure into it. So in short, the advice given to one person does not necessarily hold good for another.

So I could pay them £5 a week and they cant do a thing about it?

Do they have the right to be collecting anything at all from you? What is the debt for? If its from a personal loan or a credit card then you can ask them for a copy of the Consumer Credit Agreement, and they need to supply this within 12+2 working days or the account is regarded as unenforcable until they do and you are not obligated to pay anything until they provide you with a valid agreement.

Send them this letter if you feel that it would help you. If you do choose to send it, then do not sign it, and remember to send it by recorded delivery.

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY.

Re:

Dear Sir,

With reference to the account above I would be grateful if you could send me a copy of the signed credit agreement.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (sections 77-79); I am entitled to receive a copy of the credit agreement on request. I enclose a payment of £1.00 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act.

I understand that a copy of the credit agreement should be received within 12 working days.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin:

Mmm just had that number call my landline (with held) though this time and then they rang the mobile, which is odd as they didnt ring the mobile the other night.

I answered the phone and said "hello" he just kept saying Joanne, and I realised it was that number from the other night so just kept saying "hello" as if I couldnt hear anything lol, he then said "Joanne, love", I just said "hello" then put the phone down!

I text the number and said "had a call from your mobile, who are you please", I have now blocked the number and the guy rang back again, but it went straight through to voice mail.

He didnt leave a message on either mobile or landline, surely that can't be a DCA on a Sunday evening? That must be illegal if it is?

JO