Excel Parking George St Wakefield

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Now known as Mr Nasty (Simon-ranshaw-smith):)

Parking's 'Mr Nasty' can't understand fuss - Wakefield Express

Parking's 'Mr Nasty' can't understand fuss

TH1_NYWE-1501-05-1401-161545.jpg

STANDING UP FOR EXCEL: Simon Renshaw-Smith.

TH3_NYWE-1501-05-1401-161545.jpg

B4169390.4;sz=1x1;ord=05356815556512823?

Published Date: 15 January 2010

By Staff Copy

PARKING'S 'Mr Nasty' – Excel managing director Simon Ranshaw-Smith – is used to tough criticism.

But he claims to be “flabbergasted” by the strength of feeling against the operator in the city.

He said: “We have been operating car parks in Wakefield for more than 15 years. I find it amazing that there is suddenly this backlash.”

Excel have come under increasing fire in recent months after more and more people claimed to have been handed £100 parking charge notices (PCNs) unfairly.

Mr Renshaw-Smith, who has been in the industry for 20 years, said the only reason he could think of for the turn in public opinion was the introduction of automatic number plate recognition software and CCTV that captures cars entering and exiting the car parks – meaning more people are caught breaking the rules.

He said: “Motorists don’t like getting tickets and neither do I, but we should hold our hands up and admit it.”

But it is the refusal to see ‘common sense’ on charges that has got readers incensed.

Mr Renshaw-Smith said: “Everybody feels aggrieved whether it was their error or mitigating circumstances. We will always be Mr Nasty.

“There are mitigating circumstances, to a degree, but it is always an adult’s responsibility to adhere to the terms and conditions.

“If I walked into a sweet shop and took a lollipop, that’s theft. I wouldn’t get away with it. However, people think it is quite acceptable to go on to a car park that costs operators large sums of money to operate and they feel they can pinch time and not pay for it.

“What people seem to forget is that we are running a business here.”

Two years ago Excel reviewed its fines system, taking an average at £100, reduced to £60 if paid quickly.

If the fine is not paid, they take motorists to county court to recover the money.

Mr Renshaw-Smith said: “As much as people would like to say we are the bad boys, we only ever issue tickets for a reason. We never set out to create anarchy. We don’t want the Excel logo to be pasted on dartboards.

“The tensions that have built up in Wakefield are very high. I have requested two meetings with Mary Creagh and would like to publicly extend the invitation again.

“She has refused the invitation and I don’t think that is a sensible way forward.

“I don’t want to throw away almost 16 years of providing a service and operating nearly 1,000 spaces in Wakefield.”

Mr Renshaw-Smith also said he is “110 per cent” behind government proposals for an independent appeals board for motorists.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Park in the Ridings Centre no aggro there.

Catch the bus/ train/cycle/walk into Town then you do not have to run the gauntlet of Wakefield Council, and all the rest of the money grabbing toads that are after yer brass.

He said: “Motorists don’t like getting tickets and neither do I, but we should hold our hands up and admit it.”.

And then presumably pay his company without complaint. In your dreams Mr Renshaw.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Some more articles from the Wakefield Express of today.

You can tell there is an election in the wind cos the local MP is now in the fray.

You only see these sorts of folk when its an election in the offing , and when its expenses time.

Also a lad who stood upto the bullies, but still paid

£10, should have saved iz brass,

wots tha recon?

ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

My cousin was issued with a "fine" from Excel, her story was In Wakefield Express 22/1/10, I wrote to them on her behalf as she her husband had just passed away and she was quite poorly herself. She had tried to put the money in the machine but it wouldn't accept it and she called me quite distressed. I telephone Excel and was spoken to no better than something on the bottom of my shoe. She received a £60 "fine" and I wrote to them explaining what had happened and about her health and the death of her husband and asked them to contact myself and she had had 3 strokes because of all the stress. They did and accused me of driving the vehicle etc, though I live 90 miles away. I had sent them £4 to pay for the parking and administration fees. The letter was disgusting and gave a telephone number that was premium rate even though they have a normal number which would cost less.....another way of obtaining money. I did some checking and as my cousin is very disabled and uses a scooter she has to load and unload when in use, I looked at the car park in Providence street and reported it to Disability rights, as there are severe potholes, raised concrete, insufficient lighting which puts a detriment not only to disabled people but to children ect. I contacted your MP and Wakefield Express telephoned me and my cousins "fine" was cancelled. I telephoned on Monday 256/1/10 and was informed that it hadn't been cancelled and that they wanted £96. I contacted the newspaper and MP and it was confirmed that the "fine" was cancelled and I would get confirmation in the post. I telephoned today as I hadn't received the confirmation and yet again was treated like dirt, so I said becaust the "fine" had been cancelled then they had to repay my £4, if I dont receive it within 14 days I will increase it to £5. Anyone who has had these parking"fines", please look at the state of the car park, look at your rights, On Health and safety for parks and recreation grounds they must be safe for children eg no potholes or raised flagstones etc. If you were to fall in the car park due to the neglected state of it they would be responsible. I also stated that once you have entered into their car park, you are "guilty after the fact" as you cannot read their terms and conditions until you have entered and by reading this forum if you leave immediately you still get fined. I wish you all the best.

The tickets are not fines.

By saying this, you hint that these Private Parking companies have some standing of legality.

They are what they are, and that is private companies, with no legal powers at all.

They pretend that they have authority but they have just the same powers as Jo Bloggs Esq, or Tommy Atkins and if we want to go further Tom and Jerry.

The best ideas is to boycott these perking places and go sme where else.

I know they are not fines,as an ex police officer they have no jurisdiction to issue fines, only police, courts and local authority, that is why I put "" "" when I wrote fines, and I'm sorry if I misled you or anyone else. If Excel wish to take it further they must go the County Court for a judge to make a decision.They put CPN (car park notice) on letters, so people will get it mixed up with PNC (police national computer). I do agree with you to boycott their car park. Any threat of courts or debt collectors is harrassment. Something needs to be done about such cowboys. I believe that Wakefield MP and Wakefield Express are assisting people who have had these demands for money from Excel and other private car parking firms. Its a pity they are still allowed to trade.

They put CPN (car park notice) on letters, so people will get it mixed up with PNC (police national computer).

Their CPN is supposed to get confused with a PCN (Penalty Charge Notice) which are the normal car parking notices issued by councils. There's not much point in them trying to confuse a charge with a computer is there. :)

The DVLA will give the registered owners details away for £2.50.

Thats for aonther thread, as it makes be mad just thinking about it. Drrrrr.

Come to think of it, why are the DVLA allowed to give your phone number? shurely this should be investigated. I subscribed to the "telephone preference service" The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service. It is the official central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so. I know they are not marketing or sales but they are still unsolicited, aren't they:confused:

Why should the DVLA want your phone number?

Why should any person in thier right mine want to give thier phone number to the DVLA.

I would stand the Drop of York before I would part with my number.

If I am asked for my number I give them the call box number in the next village up.

My Data Protection Act.

If they aint got it they can give it, init?

• 2 weeks later...

I parked in George Street car parkin on 29th November 2009 on 14th Jan 2010 I got a letter form them demanding £60. I paid for an hour at 11.33am then went shopping. I realised I had overstayed my welcome so I went back to the car and paid for another hour, granted at this time it was 1.14pm. I left the car park at 1.33pm. Total paid for 2 hours - car actually parked for less than that amount of time. I have wasted time writing to them, they have refused to cancel their "invoice" even though I have produced both tickets. I have just been researching the law around it all and have found your posts. It seems they are just daylight robbers. Is George Street definately a private car park please does anyone know. I think I will do as the rest of you and even though I've admitted being the driver to them I'm thinking I'll ignore them unless anyone knows any different.

I realised fairly quickly that the best way to deal with their threats is to ignore everything they send to you, I tried to be reasonable in the first few weeks of contact but it made no difference. So my advice to you 'rippedofffedup' is not to respond to anything they send to you. If you have read my previous posts and all the helpful advice I have received you will realise that Excel work to a set format which involves threats of court action, bailiffs etc, and eventually (after 12 months in my case) telephone calls, (8 so far).

They just hope that people will crack under the pressure, which borders on intimidation.

• 3 weeks later...

When will the phone calls stop? I am now getting one everyday (running total between 15-20). Has anyone got to the end where no other contact is made or will the phone calls go on forever?

I am thinking about putting a block on through BT but will that cause them to start writing letters again?

I will appreciate any advice.

Cheers

When will the phone calls stop? I am now getting one everyday (running total between 15-20). Has anyone got to the end where no other contact is made or will the phone calls go on forever?

When they realise you are not falling for the [problem] they will give up, this is their last throw of the dice.

I am thinking about putting a block on through BT but will that cause them to start writing letters again?

Better than telephoning, the letters are very easy to ignore. B.T.W. what is the telephone num ber they are calling from?

Cheers

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Cheers

You might want to look at persuing a harrassment charge against them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers

I had this problem and each time they phoned they would ask if I could answer some security questions, and each time I sad NO! and put the phone down. This happened twice, the last being three or four weeks ago and I aint heared nothing since. Whether this has made them think I'm not worth bothering with is any ones guess, time will tell.

Hope this helps

Regards

Brian.

• 1 year later...

Hi all. I have read so many posts on here but still dont know what to do.. I received a ticket from Excel Parking at George Street, Wakefield for an alleged contravention on 28th May 2011. I was totally motified ! It took me some time to remember this car park !. I recall that I went into the Trinity walk shopping centre to meet my friend from work because she was going to show me directions. She was late finishing so I told her I would meet her near George Street because my parking ticket in the Walk was running out. My friend came with me and we drove out of Trinity Walk to George Street. Not even thinking I drove into the car park and sat waiting for my friend to come round the corner where I would then pull out and follow her. She didnt come for 16 minutes !. I never got out of the car and I was constantly ringing her to see where she was but her phone kept diverting !. During this time I was just sat in the car park, not even in a bay until someone was coming to leave ... I pulled in the bay and continued sitting there and at last she came, pulled into the car park and we drove off together. The car park she had been in had the barrier stuck and she had to wait for the security guard !!

The ticket is for £60 which I think is completely disportionate! I sent an appeal letter to them explaining the situation and they have replied to me saying that they allow a reasonable amount of time for drivers to enter and exit the car park before purchasing a valid ticket, that this is not a right but a goodwill gesture. However on this occasion I had exceeded this and therefore the notice was issued.

I dont know what to do !!! I think I'm going to send them an email saying that it is an unreasonable and disportionate fee to charge for a geniune mistake by me. I really wasnt thinking !!! I have had one parking ticket from the council ever ! and I paid that without no question !!! I just feel after reading everyones posts about this company that they are taking the mickey and dont deserve a penny ... the money grabbing private company ***** !!!!

Help... any advice !