• Tweets

• Hopefully I’m able to help someone else out with a future post however this particular subject I’m completely at a loss and ever so anxious regarding! I’ll get the letter out when my police officer husband is asleep to see what the company is whom will be writing to me. I know parking companies now seek compensation so I’m expecting these too as they have advised. 
    • You're welcome. Lots of people aren't sure where to post when they arrive but you'll get used to the forum. HB
    • I’m so sorry for posting in the wrong place and I am so thankful you have replied to me thank you.
    • Hello, welcome to CAG. I've moved your thread to our Retail Loss Prevention subforum for further advice. It sounds as if you may get letters from people like DWF solicitors or a company called Retail Loss Prevention but we always recommend to ignore them. If the police weren't called on the day you aren't going to hear from them. Ask us any questions you want to and keep in touch but I don't think this will go anywhere. Best, HB
    • Hello, firstly thank you for reading this. I know no one wants a long winded back story. So I’ll be breif. I entered a local store to buy some paint (which I did pay for) I am honestly not a bad person or a theif.   Didn’t have a basket or trolly as was on my lunch break. Whilst picking up the three tubs of paint placed some masking tape in my pocket (it was hanging out of so I had every intention to pay) just didn’t have a hand free. Paid for my goods (forgot about the £4.39 masking tape) I’ve got so much going on and im not well at all (like I say no one cares I get that) also have autism so wasn’t thinking particularly like others do maybe (who knows my minds going around and around) I left the store after paying, was pulled back in by security. Asked for the tape which I gave immediately  shook up. Gave them my ID and details. I was given some paper and told to expect a large fine in the post for their time and the tape and sent on my way. my questions are: I hardly ever go out without support so the ban I guess I can’t go there now for anything (their loss) - ok but is my photo going to be all over with my name? how much am I expecting in the post as a fine? I have sent them cash in the post recorded signed for delivery to arrive tomorrow (incident happened today) for my error. Their Address was on the bit of paper. i have read two posts on this page but they were from many many years ago so I hoped for updated advise please? 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CABOT chasing ex littlewoods barclaycard debt

mysticpols06
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just received reponse from Lowell to CCA, States,

"We are requesting a copy of the agreement from the original lender with whom you originally entered into the agreement. While we endeavour to reply to you with the required info within the prescribed 12 day period under the CCA you will appreciate this is dependant upon receipt of the info from the original cred"

:p I'm thinking 4 down so far all 'requesting' info from original lenders - 3 to go! Am beginning to actually feel a bit excited to see the postmen now & wondering what piece of crud will fall on the doormat next!

Hi PGH, No is: 01202 415780 so don't no but is no prob - will just keep screening the calls. Am adamant not to speak to any of these sods on the phone again thanks to the brill advice received from fellow caggers! :D Thanku muchly tho!

'Confidence grows & heartbeat slows to a steady stronger beat, as each member unites, against DCA fights & we all sail aboard the CAG fleet!' :rolleyes:

:pKeep smiling peeps!

Cheers hun - have just looked on that link - never realised it was there!! (a bit divvy me sometimes) Will be contacting Halifax to query the calls & complaining me thinks as there is abso no reason for em to contact us. Thanks again.:)

'Confidence grows & heartbeat slows to a steady stronger beat, as each member unites, against DCA fights & we all sail aboard the CAG fleet!' :rolleyes:

Evening peeps, Hope all are well?

Just a quick query please - The 12+2 days...Is that incl weekends or purely 'working week' days? If is the former then Cabot's time is up tomoz so am not sure what the next step is please? Is it an 'acc in dispute' letter i send or another cca type reminder or something? Also, when do i stop paying them their monthly payments? Is it after this initial 12+2 days or is it after another 30? Would be so very grateful if somebody could clarify please? Haven't been able to get online for few days due to youngun's being off school with this horrid bloomin tummy bug that seems to be going round, doh! Is mighty quiet tho :p No post OR phonecalls from any creditor/DCA since the 13th!!! My quietest week in months (years?)!!! Thankyou fellow caggers!!! :D

Take care all, Jx

Edited by mysticpols06
typo's Doh!

12 + 2 refers to working days, 30 days no longer count as the legislation changed earlier this year. You will next get a letter telling you that they are still waiting for the information and as a gesture of goodwill will put your account on hold. Then at a guess it will be some documents purporting to be a CCA then they will tell you that they have fulfilled their obligations and asking youi when you will settle. I'm waiting for the next stage:D

Ok, so if i dated & sent cca on the 5th, was a wed - 12 working days after = 19th (today) +2 for postage = acc in dispute letter can be sent 24th (mon)? I realise am really thick sounding here, but i was getting a tad excited bout being able to send next letter this week, under the impression it wasn't only 'working days' lol, spesh as they didn't seem to have many qualms about contacting us every weekend by letter & phone :D!

Have gotta hope they don't send anything now for next few days, doh! Fingers xed eh!

Many thanks Cym! x

ps. didn't know bout no more 30 days counting - nice one! ;)

Have so far not received anything from all 7 DCA's that sent CCA requests too - am soooo hoping they all default so we don't have to pay them on the 28th! will mean a little extra for filling the freezer for once!

Edited by mysticpols06
me naff typist doh!

JUST CAME ACROSS THIS THREAD SO AM POINTING OUT A COUPLE OF THINGS

Hi all, Have been reading thru diff threads last couple days & didn't wanna tread on any1's toes so figured should start a new thread in order to fill u all in & hopefully gain some advice - PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE!! :???:

Basically, long story short (ish), I took littlewoods cr/cd (Barclays) approx Oct 02. Family circumstances changed (as they do) & eventually had letter from 'Mercers' "acting as agents for Barclays" with default [THE MERCERS DEFAULT NOTICES ARE INVALID -- THE CONTENT OF WHAT A DEFAULT NOTICE SHOULD CONTAIN IS STATED IN THE CONSUMER CREDIT (ENFORCEMENT DEFAULT AND TERMINATION NOTICES) REGULATIONS 1983 SI 1983/1561 --DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE FACT THAT THESE WORDS SOUND LIKE KLINGON LANGUAGE !!! ]& request for outstanding balance Sept 07. Hubby involved free organisation 'DAWN' (They were really gd) who did the whole holding, financial statement & pro-rata letters thingy which was accepted by all cred's.Then Nov 07 letter from Cabot "The cabot financial group recently bought account etc etc with interest charged at xxxx" (bog standard letter it seems) & the SAME DAY (ironic[IT ISN'T IRONIC BECAUSE IT IS A FACT THAT THE BARCLAYCARD LETTER WAS ACTUALLY PRODUCED BY CABOT UNDER LICENSE !!!!!!]- MEANING CABOT SENT BOTH LETTERS --CHECK THE FONT OF THE LETTERS !!!) letter from barclays stating "we hereby give notice of the assignment of the debt owed to us...direct payments/queries to Cabot". I contacted them (i know i know - prat :evil:) - arranged standing order for same reduced payments prev agreed with barclays & was told to ignore the automatic default that would be sent the next month & that interest would be frozen.

5 days later received arrears notice & the default received dec 07 which i ignored as was told to. started to get monthly statements incl interest that they HADN'T frozen. Have cont' to send regular updated fin' statement/payment offers etc to ALL creds at 6 monthly intervals & still asked them to stop the int - they didn't. No probs until (this is where fun starts) Sept 08 letter stating - "review of your acc - you are making payments that are less than the original contractual repayments required under your credit agreement. As a short term arrangement we relaxed the terms of your original agreement which we could enforce at any time to suit your needs. we will continue to honour the the repayment plan but advise you if you keep making payments in accordance with it we will have to serve a default ..yada yada.." (seemed like damned if i do make payments damned if i dont)

So, i cont' to make the payments obviously not having the spare cash to make up any apparent arrears.

Oct 3rd got default notice stating " had breeched payment clause under credit agreement by not paying min contractual amount required & to pay all outstanding arrears by 23rd to rememdy breech".

I was in middle of sending balance requests to all creds ready to update the whole fin' statement etc that we do & have refused to ring them or speak on phone since they got crappy again.

Oct 15th - letter received " notice of arrears" - basically pay all arrears in full or default/court action etc etc - but still make sure u cont to pay any agreed payment plan amounts.

Oct 29th - letter received " your agreement is terminated" because " you have not comp[lied with the default notice and payments to your credit agreement have not been made at the minimum contractual level despite reminders..etc etc..pay in full immediately & in addition your acc status will be reported to the credit reference bureux"

Ok....

So, what di i do now? Am peeved that they have continued to add the interest even tho they said wouldn't (they are the ONLY one of mine or my hubby's cred' to have done so), I know i prob need to contact them but i really not sure as to what to put because they at least want arrears out of me if not the full amount which they are expecting and they are ****ed with me because i refuse to come to the phone or ring them back. Main thing bugging me is i never signed an agreement with them so i assume they are refering to the agreement i had with barclays? can they enforce that?

Anyways - so so so sorry for posting such a long thread but thought made sense to fill u all in as much as poss. Am not sure how much time i have really before next step (not sure what it is) will occur. Got last letter on sat (1st) - quite ironic actually that they have decided to terminate my agreement almost a yr exactly to the day that they bought my debt. doh!!

Ok. thanku in advance lovely people & i'll hush now. Jx :(

:cool: sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps

Just to let you know that if the original vendor is at fault, then it will take time to get the info you want as the vendor wont give up easily, they will stall adn use tactics to try and cover their backs. It's not Cabot's Fault, its the vendor's.

Also, when you sign the original credit agreement, you do agree to the terms and conditions which includes the account to be sold to a debt collection company to collect it, where they can add interest and charges if payments are not recieved regulary.

& that interest would be frozen.

5 days later received arrears notice & the default received dec 07 which i ignored as was told to. started to get monthly statements incl interest that they HADN'T frozen.

If u phoned them to query this they would have told you that the interest is frozen but the letters are sent automatically with the accrued interest on top of the balance. It is true that they freeze interest when making payments every month.

Once you have agreed a monthly payment plan they review it in 6 months to see if you can increse, if you cant they are fine with that and will stick to what you can afford, the minimum they will accept per month is £1.

If you do decide to change you telephone number, i can tell you from experience that they will get your new number. I have been advised before they have a tracing department, where they can find new numbers and address if you change them.

Also, another thing, once the investigation is over they again can start applying interest and you wil have to pay them. You cant use stalling tactics forever. Its best to not bury your head in sand as it will only get worse the longer you leave it.

that sounds like dca speak

Or put another way complete and utter tosh.

Also, when you sign the original credit agreement, you do agree to the terms and conditions which includes the account to be sold to a debt collection company to collect it, where they can add interest and charges if payments are not recieved regulary.

If an indication of charges payable on default is not included in a credit agreement regulated under The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, it is not properly executed and will not be enforceable against the debtor without a court order (SO IT CAN'T JUST BE IN THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS).

It is likely to be an ‘unfair or improper business practice’ under Section 25(2)(d) of the Consumer Credit Act if

·10pix.gifCreditors or collection agencies fail to ensure that they do NOT recover collection charges in the absence of an express contractual provision entitling them to do so

·10pix.gifDebtors are led or allowed to believe that they are legally liable to pay such charges where this is not the case.

·10pix.gifAny ambiguity in the debtor-creditor agreement as to whether it covers a particular charge, or the permitted amount of the charge is not resolved in favour of the debtor

·10pix.gifcollection charges provided for in the credit agreement are levied at an unreasonable amount and/or are disproportionate to the main debt

All these issues will be relevant to questions of fitness to hold a licence under the Consumer Credit Act, whether or not they result in prosecution of the individual(s) or company(ies) concerned.

10pix.gif

Under section 25(2) of the Consumer Credit Act the fitness of a licensee can be brought into question by the actions of any of its employees, agents or associates, and section 25(3) defines ‘associate’ for these purposes as including a business associate.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Just to let you know that if the original vendor is at fault, then it will take time to get the info you want as the vendor wont give up easily, they will stall adn use tactics to try and cover their backs. It's not Cabot's Fault, its the vendor's.

& that interest would be frozen.

5 days later received arrears notice & the default received dec 07 which i ignored as was told to. started to get monthly statements incl interest that they HADN'T frozen.

If u phoned them to query this they would have told you that the interest is frozen but the letters are sent automatically with the accrued interest on top of the balance. It is true that they freeze interest when making payments every month.

Once you have agreed a monthly payment plan they review it in 6 months to see if you can increse, if you cant they are fine with that and will stick to what you can afford, the minimum they will accept per month is £1.

If you do decide to change you telephone number, i can tell you from experience that they will get your new number. I have been advised before they have a tracing department, where they can find new numbers and address if you change them.

Also, another thing, once the investigation is over they again can start applying interest and you wil have to pay them. You cant use stalling tactics forever. Its best to not bury your head in sand as it will only get worse the longer you leave it.

:!: With respect, Haribo88, i am rather disappointed with your statement, particuarly as it completely contradicts my personal experience with this company & whilst i appreciate each individuals' right to an opinion, please do not feel it is neccessary for you to share any more on a thread concerning my situation when clearly i am not 'burying my head' whatsoever - rest assured (for cabot at least), i will in fact be rearing it quite ugly instead - armed with a better understanding of my legal rights & personal capabillities as well.

A bit of a trolling type statement that me thinks :cool:

They will not have to be paid anything whatsoever unless a county court says so...and even then it would just take years to pay off once all essential outgoings are taken into account.

So the only one it will get worse for is the company applying the interest ;)

Spot on with your troll statement Mr T, heres a quote from H88 in another thread. Looking at their other posts, I think they must work in West Malling.

"Here's a thought, now call me crazy but why dont you for a change just pay your debts!! instead of trying to find way of stalling and getting out of paying them. After all you have got the credit and spent it, you wouldnt borrow money of a freind then not pay them back but still expect them to be nice to you and still be your friends would you?? ...... no didnt think so, so why dont you have a think next time before you try and steal more money from the goverment!! :lol:"

Heres a thought Haribo88/Cabot, call me crazy, but why dont you find out if there is an enforceable credit agreement before purchaseing an alleged debt and harrassing people. After all you wouldn't just write me a cheque if I phoned you demanding money would you?? ...... no didn't think so, so why don't you have a think about your legal obligations before you try to threaten people!!:lol:

Pookey

I'm in the DCA kicking business ..........and business is good!!!!

some of you (excluding the troll) might need to do a bit of background reading on the various cabot companies and the way they work r

so please click on the link

read and print out all the pdf's

then progress to the actual 9 lives thread itself to learn more of the cabot secrets

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1829026.html

:cool: sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps

Spot on with your troll statement Mr T, heres a quote from H88 in another thread. Looking at their other posts, I think they must work in West Malling.

"Here's a thought, now call me crazy but why dont you for a change just pay your debts!! instead of trying to find way of stalling and getting out of paying them. After all you have got the credit and spent it, you wouldnt borrow money of a freind then not pay them back but still expect them to be nice to you and still be your friends would you?? ...... no didnt think so, so why dont you have a think next time before you try and steal more money from the goverment!! :lol:"

Heres a thought Haribo88/Cabot, call me crazy, but why dont you find out if there is an enforceable credit agreement before purchaseing an alleged debt and harrassing people. After all you wouldn't just write me a cheque if I phoned you demanding money would you?? ...... no didn't think so, so why don't you have a think about your legal obligations before you try to threaten people!!:lol:

Pookey

Here's a thought...why doesnt H88 just admit to being a DCA troll? :cool: