• Tweets

• Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called.    I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job.    However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still have sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
    • The clock is ticking for savings providers. They now have just a few weeks left to get their act together and start offering loyal customers a good deal.View the full article
    • Thank you dx I'll get on with it  Much appreciated  H
    • Can we have a picture of the damage. It might be a lot easier than you think to do a cosmetic repair.
    • If that was the reason then that is good news. The whole reason that being able to charge £100 for breaching private car park rules is because the law Lords decided in a celebrated case that the rogues had a legitimate interest in keeping their car park spaces available for all motorists . {parking Eye v Beavis]. However when the business is closed then there is no legitimate interest in keeping spaces free so to charge £100 is a penalty. As such any Court would automatically throw out the case when the penalty charge is accepted.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Eon want to back bill me for 3 years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I moved into a newbuild flat in January 2006. It was my first time in a newbuild and my first house where I had to organise utilities etc.. (normally someone else did that and I just paid them what I owed - much easier then!)

The tenancy agreement said the electricity supplier was powergen so I telephoned them to inform them that I was the new tenant and they said they had no record of the meter and I needed an 'mpan' number if I remember rightly. The meter for the flat was in a communal cupboard for which I did not have the key and I tried unsuccessfully for several weeks to obtain the key from the letting agents. Suffice to say I grew tired of this and eventually forgot about it (I'd just started a new job, the heating wasn't working and there were numerous problems with the flat - which is another much longer story - so my mind was elsewhere at the time).

I think it was about 3 months later when I received a letter from powergen addressed 'Dear customer' asking for information about me, when I moved in, meter serial number, name of developer and a few other details. Now, since it was that long ago I cannot remember if I called them or not informing them of how I could not access the meter cupboard, I am sure I did but it was that long ago I can't be sure, let alone prove it!!

I moved out in October 2007 and my friend who I was sharing with took over the lease (we were joint tenants before that). My friend moved out about a month and a half ago and has just received a bill for the past 3 years of over £3000. This is the first contact we have had from Eon/Powergen since that initial letter described earlier. I suspect the letter was blanket delivered to all flats in the building and could easily have been lost or not passed on by estate agents/landlords managing properties in the building to new tenants.

I've since moved into another newbuild and this time I received bills and letters from the utility companies which had the address registered and were taking readings already so it was much more straightforward. Isn't this how it is supposed to be?

I've had a read of the forums and taken a look at the code of practice which has a section on companies not charging for more than 12 months in arrears if they have not sent a bill out before. Does this apply in my situation? Does it matter if I cannot prove I called them to say I could not access the meter cupboard? Please help!!

Regards,

Pigeon

With regards to the backbilling, there are several factors which have to be taken into account as to whether the billing code applies or not.

The onus is very much on the consumer - you knew you were using electricity at the property, and E.ON asked you to obtain your MSN (Meter Serial Number) so that they could set up your account.

You never got back in touch with this and as such did nothing to help yourself. Whilst I appreciate that moving house is a very stressful time and there were other factors in your life, you needed to provide this information.

E.ON will have taken into account things such as if they were ever informed by either yourself or the builder of the change from a plot to postal address. If not, then they are ok to bill. If they were informed but took no action, then they can only back bil for one year.

Also, call and ask if anyone attempted to read the meter during that perios, if not this may fall under the billing code. If you create enough stink and threaten with the ombudsman, they will end up applying the billing code as this is what the ESO will advise you.

Google Energy Billing Code and take a few points from it and wroite to the Directors Office

Thanks for the reply Nottslad, much appreciated.

After posting the original message my friend (who received our bill from Eon recently) informed me that the bill had an actual meter reading given to Eon by 'us' on the 15th January 2006 and this is what they had based the bill on. The rest of the readings were estimates. I moved in on the 14th January 2006 so I assume it was the letting agents that gave them the reading. There is also an account number on the bill, does this mean that they should have sent us an occupier bill after the reading was sent to them?

So when I called them and they said they had no record of the property etc. they in fact did have a record and a meter reading. How does this affect the application of the code?

Regards,

Pigeon

They most likely did have the property registered, but under the plot number. They would have required you to provide them with the plot number and the meter details they requested from you to be sure that the address would be billed correctly to the right meter. It also depends on how recently the account was set up in regards to the account number. The developers may have provided the readings before you moved in and the meter details provided by the current tenants.

The billing code may not apply if Eon requested for you to provide the information but you failed to do so.

Have you called Eon and spoken about any of these issues?

Actual Readings is a complete load of crap. The system does not let them open up a new customer file without actual readings so sometimes they just make them up. Bear this in mind. If its gas ask for meter installation data from xoserve or if it is electric ask for meter installation data from eccoes. They will know what you mean. Failing that It is your duty to provide accurate meter readings but also their duty to check them once a year.

:whoo:Debt Paid £9.99 - Unlawful Debt Removed £51.09 - Total Debt Busted £61.08:whoo:

SFUK vs Jacamo / JD Williams - WON

SFUK vs Vanquis Bank - Ongoing

It is possible that E.ON were informed by the builder of the handover the actual meter reading..

Your meter installation will be shown on you meter on a sticker, it will have the installation reads. With it being a new build, I would presume that both the gas and electric meters were installed on zeroes.

In this case, it should have been noted on the builders account that you called in trying to set up your account and the advisor couldn't help. If they have noted they requested your meter details, billing code will definately not apply.

It looks like the only way billing code may apply in this case is if no attempt was made to read your meters by E.ON during this period. If they have but not billed the account, then their own "Operational Loss" would apply, which is similar to Billing Code - they will not bill for over a year.

If I were to talk to a customer in your position, I would look down every avenue of having an adjustment applied to the account. If nothing can be applied, I would be flexible with a payment arrangement and allow you to pay off the balance over the 3 years you were not billed for, but you must cover your ongoing consumption at the same time....

The best thing to do is pick up the phone and discuss the situation Something else which seems a bit strange is the bill you said you received firstly. The reading it refers to from 2006 may be from the builders when they handed over the plot account. It is still possible at this stge that the properties did not have their full postal adresses, and why you were not billed.

Another point to address is whether bills had been sent to the plot address and just not reaching you or if bills were just not being sent at all... The plot thickens!

sfuk - do you work for E.ON? If you do, you would know that it is possible to process a change of tenancy based on estuimated reads

sfuk - do you work for E.ON? If you do, you would know that it is possible to process a change of tenancy based on estuimated reads

You will have to forgive me - I left when they bought in the new ICE tool and back then you couldn't. I didn't do many COT's as we used to hand them over. If I am misinformed now then I apologise.

:whoo:Debt Paid £9.99 - Unlawful Debt Removed £51.09 - Total Debt Busted £61.08:whoo:

SFUK vs Jacamo / JD Williams - WON

SFUK vs Vanquis Bank - Ongoing

• 1 year later...