• Tweets

• its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
    • Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Housing benefit admin penalty & summons ***WON***

bubblzbee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Bubblzee,

I have been on tenterhooks all day:smile:

I'm so glad you have legal aid. At least with the adjournment, your brief will be able to go through the paperwork and hopefully sort something out from the mess that your council caused.

If the council want you to accept an admin penalty then i think their case may be a bit shaky and they don't really want it to proceed to trial. Good on you for telling them where to go.

It's only scary because it's a new thing but once you've "been there, done that" it's not so bad.

I'll wait for the next instalment with bated breath.

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I think they were hoping I would accept the penalty, and back out.

I am going to keep fighting. Will be glad once defence complete with solicitor.

I am still awaiting a response from the Chief Executive regarding my complaint that was forwarded from the ombudsman.

I will update as soon as any more news

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. long time.

oh bum, i thought you'd have some news but as they say, no news is good news.

hope everything is otherwise good.

fox

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

This is so spooky - my daughter rang me at 7.15 and asked whether you had heard anything. I said I presume she hasn't been as there have been no new posts.

Its obviously not so cut and dried as they must have thought it was.

I am sure if they were in the right you would have heard by now.

Just subscribing- I hope you get some good news soon. Having had many mucked up dealings with both Council and Housing Benefit departments, this is really interesting.

I really think you must have them all of a tizz now- they must be terrified after such a catalogue of errors. And then to have the gaul to take you to court- I hope your solicitor annihilates them as well as the ombudsman!

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Emma,

Thanks for subscribing to this thread. The more people who have had bad experiences with councils, the better for bubblzbee. The amount of stress she has had to go through is dispicable. I'm hoping that when the court case is over, the council see sense and sort out the mess of their own making.

My own case was sorted only a few months ago. I wish I'd found the CAG before I did as it wouldn't have gone on for 4 years.

fox

sorry for jumping in hear. But only found this web site a week ago and when i found this well an over whelming sense of relief and joy swept over me its just what Ive been looking for help with housing benefit overpayment. bubblzbee i feel for you my daughter had one of those taped interviews. been to court e.c.t She got charged with benefit fraud because .she didn't declare an overpayment of working tax credit I may open my own i have a lot of questions to ask, as i said bubblzee i fell for you have subscribed

• 5 weeks later...

Bubblzbee

Have You Had No News Yet? My Case Has Been In Dispute Since 2001 When I Went To Court For Arrears Due To Incompetence. I Have Been Reading Cases From The Ombudsman Housing Site And People Don't Get Much For What They Endure. These Housing Benefit People, Housing Etc Etc Seem To Be A Law Unto Themselves. When Will It All Stop?

Silverfox, I Am Glad To Hear Someone Got Somewhere, Were You Satisfied, Was Justice Done?

Sort of. My "debt" was around £900 but after making lots of complaints and eventually going to the chief exec i managed to get £400 knocked off due to a cock up. I still had to pay the rest but after my complaint to the ombudsman who found in my favour, I was awarded £200 compensation so although i still paid £300, it's a third of what it could have been but i also had another £212 written off due to statute barring which my council tried to use against me when I tried to get rehoused as the ombudsman told them off for that.

A long process but i had the time and the patience to take on the "big boys"

fox

So Basically You Won Nothing For Your Time, Effort And The Effect It Had On You Mentally. That Is Shameful. As I Said B4 When Will It All End And When Will Justice Be Done?

I Have 7000 In Dispute Over 10 Years And I Am Giving Up On Ever Getting It Sorted To Be Honest With You.

All I Want Now Is A Move.

I Am Not A Prejudice Person But I Am Feeling That Way Right Now.

Sorry

Edited by london NW

Hi all. Sorry been a while, had a letter from the council last week saying that despite being given extra 12 weeks to look into my complaint they are not going to look into it until after the trial . I have sent another letter to the ombudsman outlining again my concerns, and updating on info. I am still going to fight this matter in court and will update as soon as I know more. I do not expect the ombudsman to beable to do much prior to the trial, so am preparing everything with my solicitor.

I have also written a letter to my MP too, and am waiting to hear.

Hi Bubblzee,

I was thinking about you the other day and wondering what is happening.

The council really are dragging this out aren't they.

As the council aren't looking at your complaint till after the trial, the ombudsman won't be able to help anyway as the council have to reply first. Just seems a story too long. This could have been sorted so long ago had the council been reasonable.

My son-in-law has varying wages too so i'm dealing with my council on his behalf as they keep getting his housing/council tax benefit wrong.

Please make sure you keep us informed and if anything comes up that you're not sure about, give a shout and we'll come-a-running :-D

take care

fox

Hi all. Sorry been a while, had a letter from the council last week saying that despite being given extra 12 weeks to look into my complaint they are not going to look into it until after the trial . I have sent another letter to the ombudsman outlining again my concerns, and updating on info. I am still going to fight this matter in court and will update as soon as I know more. I do not expect the ombudsman to beable to do much prior to the trial, so am preparing everything with my solicitor.

I have also written a letter to my MP too, and am waiting to hear.

Just to say good luck to you . Seems a bit illogical for the council to use tax payers money and proceed to trial - when the investgation may reveal the trial is in-appropriate?

Or am I missing the point?

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I would like to see the thread please can you send the link in here?

Did you read the thread that re-appeared the other day following benefit overpayment. Worth a read. His dragged on aswell.

I cannot believe that the council want it to go to court first before they can look into everything, that seems totally absurd. A waste of money and frustrating for you again to build up your hopes in thinking this is all going to be resolved soon. It is a bloody joke. Why didn't they just postpone until a later date?

I am getting so angry with all this and what people have to go through and even at the end of the day do these authorities really care?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. My court date has been postponed, in a few months. Council still not responded to complaint. Have sent another letter to Ombudsman and Mp asking for something to be done.

The councils deadline given by the ombudsman has now ceased ,so fingers crossed will start investigating into the matter.

Will update as know more.......

This seems very odd the way the Council are behaving. If they are sure of the facts then it would be full steam ahead, so obviously someone has dropped a clanger. It seems as if they don't know how to get out of this one. I would certainly pressure the Ombudsman by saying that this is making you ill and it needs to be resolved sooner rather than later.

Good luck.

Morning BubblZee and Surprise, Hope you're doing ok.

Lets hope the Ombudsman acts now the time limit has expired. They are able to visit the council offices and see your file if they choose to do so and expect phone calls as they try to get a proper picture.

still wishing you good luck.

fox

I was informed by my solicitor that the court date had been postponed due to a witness recovering after an operation. The witness is a countil housing officer.

I am not sure what to make of it, but least the ombudsman has a few months to look into the matter now before the new court date.

fingers crossed

Edited by bubblzbee