• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ex-Brighthouse manager available for questions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3931 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt they will have everything from that long ago as it used to be Crazy Georges - so whether they have anything from them is debatable. To get everything would be a SAR and if you think it's worth the £10 then go for it. I would still send the letter to at least cancel OSC though.

Ive been in today with my nan. She fell behind with ONE payment becausde her grandoson robbed all her money (long story!!). so last week we went in and she paid half of the missed payment and they said it was fine to pay the other half today which he said would be 68.70. So we went in today and they were asking for 100.00 (??) she couldnt explain this. I showed her the reciept were hed written on 68.70. So she fiddled on the computer for a bit and took the 68.00. She was going on about there being charges for late payments. I asked her is it stated in the contract you can do so? she said it wsnt there. So now im wondering how many other times my nans paid more than she should. Last year she had finished paying for a washing machine and they were still charging her for it 6 months later. Once my nan relised she had been paying them to much we went in demanding a refund. They refused to pay it all back and would only refund for the receipts she had. She insited these payments would not be on there system. There blatently taking advantage of an elderly woman in my opinion. What would my next course of action be to reclaim charges and unwanted insurance. Which by the way they have never explained to her what its for. Ive been there with her and got a phone and was told "sign there" i ws likie hang on i didnt ask for insurance? i dont want or need it! she said "it was for if you wanted to teturn the goods at any point. I didnt so she then got a huff on "ill have to reprint everything now" should of asked me first!! Shall i SAR them?

TBH: i'd SAR them and reclaim all those charges, i bet you are correct, she has been leeched of £100's

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 6 months later...

wonder if you can give a bit of advice. my sofa from bright house is almost payed off, in fact it the agreement runs out next week. but im behind with some payments, the settlement is £105, after a visit last week, i agreed to pay the ammount, but found i only had £67.they wouldnt accept that, they wanted the full ammount. i phoned them, and the guy i deal with said phone him today (thursday to make an offer)problem is i cannot get any money to next week at least, ive not had a default notice

i got a laptop from bh paid 5 weeks on it then became ill so funds are very tight i had every intention to pay for the laptop as im a manager for a well known supermarket but just couldnt afford to buy one out right and due to silly mistakes when i was 18 had bad credit these were my only option any way so now im only on sick pay i my account was a week behind i contacted the store and told the lady i would prob have the money next week to get it up to date week 2 came round i contacted the store again on the friday to say i would pay 3 weeks on the monday she point blank refused my payment saying im not making any commitments to you like i was some kind of ****? she told me to take the goods to the store and they would hold them until i got my account up to date, not a chance ive got a hip problem i couldnt it back so she said right ill send them round to pick it up on monday?????? thats the day i was going to pay anyway!! i must admit this got my back up as i was always under the impression they cant refuse payments from you, my neighbours then informed me of several calls to my house man in a white van, so i wait and they turn up when im in my dad being at my house too to witness everything that follows, firstly takes me a while to get to the door so the man starts hammering on my room window peering thru as i havent got to the door yet my dad tells me to go to the window as he will prob force his way in, this i do n he says im here to take ur laptop my reply is that its not here so then he says u better let me in now so i can search ur house and clarify that er not a chance well im ringing the police u will be arrested for theft and they will break in ur house and search for the goods, arrested for theft on what grounds? getting goods by deception erm i offered to pay ur member of staff refused my money. i also threw at him how can the police or him come into my home with no warrants or court orders his reply they are already on there way love so get ready! what a threat. not knowing wether he had rung the police or not and them being sat outside for 30mins i locked up my house i went to go out to which they pulled there van over my drive to block my car in so i walked off down the street to which they then followed me shouting at me youve got 24hours to get the laptop back and ill call the police off but i will be back at this time 2mo to which they did and sat outside for 45mins i just ignored the door n emailed there head office with these events and have asked them to take me to court for the goods now as i would gladly stand up in court and tell a judge just exactly how they bully and intimidate people even down to there own staff as my friend works there and they are trying to accuse her of giving me info as i KNEW too much too many ins and outs like she said they are just used to geting what they want by bullying people and scaring them er no im just not scared of the guys and they cant bully me as i bet they do many young women well not this one so im just waiting for a reply now wonder what will happen next?

• 2 weeks later...

i fell behind with "BH" and i thought id misheard them when they said the balance was now £742 !! because they were charges for each day i was late so i flatly said no chance ,

then a few weeks later 2 heavies (you could swear they were sent from dave courtneys security firm) and tried bullying there way into my home luckily i talked them round and said i was due a cheque in a few weeks time , in that time then i rang and threatened them with everything i could think of because i was so disgusted what they did , and weird i havent heard from them again thank god i did owe £212 but its been over a year and ive heard nothing

I took out a 47inch philips tv back in october 2008 with the full payment protection plan, if ever missed a payment I have payed the overdue charge without query or arguments. I did after an assualt moved home and breached contract but this was resolved and was given another agreement to finish paying of remaining debt due to standing my ground and refusing to hand over a tv I had already paid 2 thirds for. Anyway on 22 may 10 my tv decided to go on blink and staff were good and said my tv would be sent away and be back within 4 weeks..... now its August and no tv back (I do have a temporary 32 inch tv) After numerous calls I was offered a refurbished baird tv (buying new was 2500) so i assumed my existing agreement would be finished as I have paid over that as my tv is on an agreement for around 3500 although was given this explaination - your tv depreciates with time so you stay on remaining contract and have to make the remaining payments, i.e. I bought my xbox for 300 but now you get them for 200. I was like yeah but your offering me a refurbished baird tv less value which has depreciated too if going by your explaination. And the xbox didn depreciate it just got reduced in price to be competetive to its competition. Asked if I would get a like for like replacement and was told the philips are hard to come buy - surly with the amount of payment protection your product should be repaired or a new replacement is given. Does anyone know if i am eligable to claim for full monies paid to be returned if I were to push this further. I have not contacted brighthouse within 3 weeks since this explaination and nor have they contacted me for to discuss my tv repair or anything -well unless you count the call on a saturday for payment to be made. I have not breached contract since handing over my tv. I did enquire about a lap top and when asking about reconditioned ones was told there mainly for instore display so why were they offering me this as a replacement to an exsisting product, this being why I didnt accept the reconditioned baird tv.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I really hope you can help with my question, as everyone I have asked seems to have a different answer!!

I have 3 items with brighthouse, all taken out this year - a sofa, my child's bed, and a mobile phone. After much consideration regarding my finances which have taken a rather nasty downward turn lately, I have been advised to declare myself bankrupt. My question is, if I do this, will Brighthouse (and indeed, CAN they - legally) repossess my goods? I do not have any arrears with Brighthouse, and all payments are up to date. The mobile phone is not a necessity and can be returned but the sofa and bed are necessities.

I am very worried about this as I have read a lot about Brighthouse's bullying tactics, although I personally have had no problem with them so far. So i would really appreciate if you could offer me some advice on where they stand "officially", and what they might do to recover the goods "unofficially".

Can anyone out there help?

Many thanks for listening!

Hi Blondie2712

ive read off my agreement that if you have paid over a third of your purchases they cannot repossess , they sent people to my house and i said id make payment in the next month and i didnt hear off them (they just tried bullying tactics) so my advice is if you have paid over a third they cant take the goods off you , if they do try the bullying tactic just do NOT let them in ,

you might be confused with the different answers because even though they arent supposed to take them if you have paid over a third , sometimes they do try to still take them

sorry i cant be of more help , the company is a waste of space and very unhelpful

• 2 months later...

hi i recentley got a laptop on hp with osc even a couple of things i need to get help with. they say i if i can no longer aford it i can take it back if i have the osc is this true also if i get a bug on the pc not much change of that but osc will cover it is this true and what does it offer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been buying things from Brighthouse for years now. I had a voucher for £40 if i buy something else. i wanted a tumble dryer to be told i would have to pay £30 delivery charge, i find i cannot afford to pay that amount of money out so am now unable to get it which has left me very dispointed with there new rule.

• 2 months later...

hi jon....just would like to kno where i stand with this if possible...iv got 3 things from bh....1 of which iv had for a considerable amount of time. iv payed my accounts upto date..but over this last week thro personal reasons i couldnt afford to pay bh which has left me a week behind. i pay them 34 pound a week..they have rang me today wanting 74...68 for payments and the rest for late payments. Iv explained to them that im in financial difficulty at the min and will be for the next week or two...i told them...the girl on the phone says she wanted 74...i said i owe you 34 at the min but 74 with this week commencing close down saturday...anyway she says if i take my agreements back in they will re write my agreements for the week lost which i dont mind but the thing is they still want the cost of 35 pound to change it....what i dont understand is why do i have to pay that amount? if they are making it out that there doing me a favour? i mean....to charge me that when im already in financial difficulty is crap....do they have a right to do that...and whats the point then in changing the agreements by a week...when i could just put the 35 in my yellow money until next week until i can afford to square up with them lol....so long as the money is in that...orrrrr...the fact that i shouldnt have to pay anything at all until next week so i could make fresh payments with a diff agreement....hope you understand my drift lol....sorry not used to these things haha....Zoe

• 3 weeks later...

I purchashed a acer laptop from BH in Jan 2010 and have had it in my posession for about 4 months out of 15 months all the other time it has been at the service centre after being sent back continously with the same problem, in dec 2010 after kicking up such a fuss we got it replaced with a brand new one but yet again the problems started again, it got sent back before easter and got returned yesterday with a new hard drive and the same problem again today, my thoughts are why should i pay for an item which is never working because when its finished in dec im just gonna have a laptop that dont work, i want my money back basically. I need to know where i stand and what i can fire at them tomorrow to get around this problem.

please help

hi John

can you give me any advice on this problem

I have posted it in another section of the site but then I found this sticky

Thanks

pam

If this is in the wrong place I apologise,

(if it is can one of the mods move it for me please)

Story in brief.

My grandson and his partner have just moved in together.

I have been helping them with their budgeting. I have explained the importance of paying bills by direct debit
link3.gif
each month and I have helped them set all these up with the bank.

In the process of this they told me that my grandsons partner had purchased a suite from Brighthouse 13 months ago on hire purchase.

I perused the agreement and I was astounded at the charges.

Breakdown

HP over 36 months

Cost of suite £1600.56

interest
link3.gif
£703.56

Total £2304.12

Optional service cover £527.20

Damage liability cover ££432.12

Grand total for a very cheap and tatty suite

£3313.14

I told them to contact Brighthouse for a settlement figure so that I could pay it for for them and arrange for them to pay me back weekly.

I was shocked when they were told it would be £1250 to pay of the suite. They have already paid £1274 (this payment includes the
ridiculous
"Optional Insurance" Total £2524!!

(had the suite 13 months)

Apparantly when she took out the agreement she was passed a form with various tick boxes and told to put her intitials at the side of each ticked box. She then put her
signature
link3.gif
at the space marked with a cross at the bottom of the agreement page.

I know she shouldn't have done it but it is too late for all that now.

I would like advice on what it is best to do now?

Should they cut their losses and tell Brighthouse to take the suite back (if they are entitled to do that)

Can they claim back this obviously missold insurance?

This company play on the most vulnerable people in our society, surely there is something that can be done about them.

Any constructive advice would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Pam

• 2 weeks later...

Pam,

You need to get the account holder to go into the store and request an early settlement figure

or in Brighthouse language an EPO ( Early Payment Option ) figure,

be prepared to jump through hoops for it though as an EPO cost them money on their profit and loss

as they are losing interest etc..

some stores may just tell you the figure there and then others may insist on sending the figure out by post

which is done so it wont affect this weeks sales!

you may be asked to put it in writing first either way they will make it difficult and try to put you off, stand your ground.

It sounds like the figure they have given you is the full term figure which is what is left to pay

if you carry on paying it weekly, they have done this to put you off.

Good luck!

I bought a touch screen PC from BH in July 2010 10 weeks ago it started playing up.

off they sent it for repairs...... It was repaired after 3 weeks but it took them a further 5 weeks to return it to me...

.picked the box up from the store and took it home.

Opened the box to find one of the legs had been snapped off!!!!

Great plugged it in to see if it had been fixed.

(It had kept shutting down after 10 min) to find the disc drive no longer accepted discs

and the screen was cover in what looked like dried milk!

back to the store it went.

Now for the 9th week of been without the PC waiting to see what they will try and pass off for a replacement.

They seem to think that I will accept a used model when my agreement clearly states NEW.

Not sure where I stand on this but I will be putting up a fight for a new one!

Any guidance on how to push BH for a new replacement gratefully received.

For the record the staff treat you like a second class person who has no rights and talk down to you. Miss a payment which I did once when I was snowed in and all hell breaks loose.... Once my agreement ends or I find a get out clause that wont cost me money, I will never darken their doors again.

hi everybody. can brighthouse discuss my account with my partner. if they do are they breaching the data protection act.

nothing from brighthouse is in my partners name. need advice now.

rigbyp56.

hi Jon

I have had an absolute awful experience with the bright house bullies. It all started when i was 1 day late with a payment and got charged £12 and told i had to paythe week afters payment too. £24 went to £60!

Because i had to pay £60 it made me short and since then i have been playing catch up and fall behind every few weeks. This is due to the huge charges and the fact i have to pay an extra week.

I began getting 5-10 phone calls a day. I am in college and cannot answer my phone between 10 and 3 and have repeatedly told them this but they continue to call. One member of staff in particular took it upon herself to call me every hour on the hour and even called at 9:30 at night off her private mobile and in the process woke my baby up whom i had just got to sleep. When i answered the phone i said "are you allowed to call this time of night" and she said "i can call you at midnight if i want to love!"

The next day i called the office to complain and they passed my account to someone else.

The new member of staff took it upon herself to come to my house at 8am friday with a letter saying they were picking up my 3 goods on monday, I was inarrears by a whole £24! I then paid the £24 that day along with £12 charges and the next weeks payment.

Today i got a phone call saying that if i dont pay £60 they will send 'balliffs' to my house on ,monday to 'force' entry to collect the 3 items.

Can they do this?

when setting up the agreement I was told i HAD TO take out the 'optional' insurance, OPTIONAL!

Can i claim this back as i didnt want it?

hharris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I need a help with BH too(very unusual...)

Me and my partner ended in BH in April 2010 and got sofa for our new house.

After months of trying to get OSC remove(unsuccsessfuly of course)

we got in situation when my partner left our home and country and I stayed with two children on my own.

After that(March 2011) hell started.

The unstopable phone calls and few visits off the staff was only a start.

After three weeks I paid them and because they did not believe me that he really left

,they kept calling him and leaving messages for him.

Atfer another three weeks I decided to get over the sofa with my name and pay on my name in case..

.I went to store with all my documents but been told manager is not there

I have to come next day,

but they took copies of documents and money of course...

I couldn't go next day and I been away for some time and here we go again.

My phone can't even take so many messages.:-)

Now I am thinking what is the best way to deal with that because I don't want to loose sofa

but also I can't aford to pay it at the minute because I am strugling after I stayed alone with kids.

My finances are under dept management at the minute and so it's not best.

May be worth to try contact debt company?

Or get setee on my name?

Please advice me what to do next.

Kind regards Lilo

• 4 weeks later...

afternoon all... I seem to be one of the lucky ones that decided to come on here and look up any problems with BH before i entered into any agreement with them.... I was looking into buying a cooker and a fridge freezer on weekly terms, was told as a new customer, that i would be able to spend upto £7.50 weekly, so picked out a fridge freezer at £2.92 p/w and a cooker at £2.75 per week.... I was told i could only have one and it would be £6.70 p/w This was for a refurbished product..... Now i am not a maths genius (altho i was at school), but to me that is a big jump from £2.75 p/w.... the payments were for 152 weeks.... so the cost should have been 152 x 2.75 = £418 (for a refurbed cooker) against 152 x 6.70 = 1018.40..... Doing this quick calculation in my head, i made my excuses and left the store....

Can i just clarify, what these other charges are...

On another note.... I would like to ask a question regarding one of the older posts.... Someone had a laptop stolen and had to claim on insurance.... I am not sure if i am barking up the wrong tree here, but it has been said that you are only released from your agreement, surely if a claim is made against a stolen item, an insurance company would (like mine in the past) send you a voucher for the equivalent item minus the excess charge..... so BH would still get a replacement ITEM allowing them to allow the customer to have a new laptop and carry on paying for their agreement..... or am i simplifing things too much here......

I have never dealt with HP companies let alone BH stores, but it seems like something is seriously amiss with this company

afternoon all... I seem to be one of the lucky ones that decided to come on here and look up any problems with BH before i entered into any agreement with them.... I was looking into buying a cooker and a fridge freezer on weekly terms, was told as a new customer, that i would be able to spend upto £7.50 weekly, so picked out a fridge freezer at £2.92 p/w and a cooker at £2.75 per week.... I was told i could only have one and it would be £6.70 p/w This was for a refurbished product..... Now i am not a maths genius (altho i was at school), but to me that is a big jump from £2.75 p/w.... the payments were for 152 weeks.... so the cost should have been 152 x 2.75 = £418 (for a refurbed cooker) against 152 x 6.70 = 1018.40..... Doing this quick calculation in my head, i made my excuses and left the store....

Can i just clarify, what these other charges are...

On another note.... I would like to ask a question regarding one of the older posts.... Someone had a laptop stolen and had to claim on insurance.... I am not sure if i am barking up the wrong tree here, but it has been said that you are only released from your agreement, surely if a claim is made against a stolen item, an insurance company would (like mine in the past) send you a voucher for the equivalent item minus the excess charge..... so BH would still get a replacement ITEM allowing them to allow the customer to have a new laptop and carry on paying for their agreement..... or am i simplifing things too much here......

I have never dealt with HP companies let alone BH stores, but it seems like something is seriously amiss with this company

Hi

The BrightHouse (and Buy As You View, Perfect Home, HomeBuy etc) maths are very easy to work out... They are really, really simple...

1 - Have a cash price that is roughly 20% higher than anywhere else on the high street.

2 - Add interest at anything between 29.9% to 62.1%

3 - Add an "Optional" Service Cover agreement

4 - Add a Damage or Theft policy (that only insures the customer's liability)

This then results in the customer paying AT LEAST three times the normal retail price.

Which means...

Even if the company has to write off one agreement in 3 as a bad debt, they STILL make more than a 100% profit!

See?

Simple!

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3931 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks