• Tweets

• Are your garages not being used atm? HB
    • Thank you to you all, you guys are amazing!! Yes of course i will be making a donation, i am very grateful to you all. Keep up the good work
    • I'm not quite out of the woods yet. The email they sent me also said that I have £290 of arrears and it has been passed onto their collections department. If anything my account should be £10 in credit.  They haven't taken into account the trainers that were returned back in October. The other items have been credited to my account so it looks like I've still got work to do.  They are not very quick to reply to emails, although I've only sent one trying to find more information, and I have no idea what happens next. Half of me want's to get it sorted properly the other half just wants it over with, if that means a default then so be it. 
    • No. It's a public (council maintained) road with some houses in it.   Some other houses back onto it too and those owners have right of way down the road to access the back of their properties.  Theres a few garages with private osp - so one drives out the garage, over the osp, and onto the public side road and then out on to the public main road.  Irrespective of whether the garages are used - the local businesses parking their cars on the private osp are ostensibly preventing cars from accessing the public roads.
    • is the side street solely for access to your garages? who owns the land and thus the road? dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

eBay Issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have to say I don't like con men as much as the next person but I think if the seller refuses to cough up payment at the outset of the OP's threats then they should consider his offer to sell it again on his behalf

After reading the OP's posts I agree with others that's it's not going to be easy to win in court particularly as the court will wonder why you didn't 1st view before buying........If your argument is that you lived too far away then the court will probably say that's not the sellers problem but yours

In addition should you agree for him to sell it he may not be so ready to charge storage otherwise fighting you corner in the courts could end in just more grief & expense for yourself

I think the best thing you can take from this unfortunate incident is to never do it again........In future if you ever buy something in such away again remember to 1st have a good look at it (& by that I mean inspect it closely even if it means moving it) before handing over any money

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jon has summed it up spot on.

No money should have been paid until it was ALL checked over.

Bascially all the seller has to say is that your husband had the opportunity to check it over first and agreed to purhcase in which he paid.

Is this seller deffinatley a private seller?

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Yes the seller is private but all ebay transactions are covered by SOGSA.

The seller has now relisted the conservatory claiming that he is the owner.

Item number 180239794602 - I have not agreed to this, and as this is worded as though he is the owner, I can see no reason why he should not give me a full refund.

rtCurve.gif

I've just thought of something too.

Do you know how old the conservatory is? I assume it is fairly old as it only cost £200 and it's second hand.

I think you may find that a new build conservatory would need the most recent BS standard of glass anyway and even more so if you need planning permission for your conservatory.

I'm sure somebody will confirm or correct this in due course.

as long as its less than 30 sq m, the glass is toughened/safety glass in the required areas (like in the doors and below 800mm etc), and the conservatory is seperated from the house by a door then you should be OK.

I have looked at the listing... he's selling something that doesnt belong to him, as he hasnt refunded you. Can you not keep it, replace the one pane and the beads?

I think it's a bit of a bargain myself.

Well I've just reported the listing to ebay as selling stolen property as it technically doesn't belong to the seller and referred ebay to this thread.

Whether they will do anything or no remains to be seen of course

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

Looking at the sale he seems to have sold it twice, the first time for over £500 and is now trying again. However technically it belongs to you. What puzzles me is why your husband didnt wait for him to return and get your money back before he left.

Ebay's response to my report was about as useful as they ever are (and automated)

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to report a seller who you suspect is

offering stolen goods on eBay.

The sale of stolen goods is forbidden on eBay because it's against the

law to sell stolen property. eBay strongly supports law enforcement

efforts to recover stolen property listed on its website. However, we

can only investigate such a serious allegation if it comes from the police, trading standards or a solicitor.

Unlikely the police will care and will refer back to ebay or just say its a civil matter

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

Looking at the sale he seems to have sold it twice, the first time for over £500 and is now trying again. However technically it belongs to you. What puzzles me is why your husband didnt wait for him to return and get your money back before he left.

We were due to see his father in the afternoon

This is the latest e-mail from the seller - any suggestions as to how I should respond.

In view of the fact that you failed to collect your conservatory as requested over the weekend I advise that it has been re-listed on consignment. I will remit the final sale price to you after deducting my and ebay’s commission plus storage costs.

We were due to see his father in the afternoon

DD whilst I sympathise your seeing your father is of no concern to the seller...nor would it be to any court I'm afraid

Also accusing him of theft when he will simply claim he was re-listing it on your behalf or even if not with your consent as a favour to you so you could get your money back is I think a very unwise thing to do under the circumstances..........In addition you may have paid for it but as you refused to accept delivery it could be said not to be your property.....also eitherway by claiming it is gives him stronger case for charging storage

What you have done was not a good idea at all. Accusing someone, no matter how despicable they may be, of stealing could cause you a lot of grief if they decide to sue you for defamation

My best advice!.......Try & put your anger to one side & do a deal with this guy before it really gets out of hand....for the sake of £200

Jonchris I haven't said anything of the sort, so I'm not sure why you're saying I've accused him of being a thief - I am perfectly entitled to reject an item under the Sale of Goods and Services as it was not fit for purpose due to the damage.

Could someone please just give me an idea of how to respond to the e-mail rather than telling me what a mistake I've made - it is an unfortunate situation, and the first time this has happened to me in over 7 years of buying and selling on eBay.

Sorry but unless I'm mistaken I understood you told ebay the goods didn't belong to the seller & if so then you DID accuse him of theft

Of course you are entitled to reject the goods & I wish I could say your going to win but you may have to face reality & I'm trying to help you by telling you what will probably happen if you go down the route you seem so intent on.

You can be as indignant as you wish, you can be as angry as you wish but you handed over your money BEFORE inspecting the goods.

Worse still you actually made payment after arrival when you could have inspected the goods BEFORE payment. Had you paid in advance via some other means then I would have said you had a case you could fight with some very real prospect of winning but in this case I doubt it.

The sellers claiming you broke the glass not him & how do you prove different after all you left before the guys return & IMHO a court will consider this rather odd bearing in mind the guy had £200 of yours that you wanted back

This may not be what you wanted to hear but I believe it's best to try & advise others of their realistic chances of success & not to advise plowing on regardless of the possible consequences.

Also IMHO this seller has the upper hand in this dispute.....he's got the goods......& above all he's got your money.......As annoyed as you may be let the guy sell them & give you the proceeds........I really do think it's the best way forward.......the more threats you make the more chance there is of him retaliating by cancelling the sale & then demanding storage.

Having said all that there is always the chance that the guy will get fed up with the whole episode & just return your money but on the basis of his current communications I doubt it.......& even if he is a thief (which is debatable under the present circumstances) if you continue to make accusations against him which you cannot substantiate you might end up a lot more worse off than losing £200

As for replying to his email what do you want.....you either say that you haven't agreed & he's selling the goods without your consent (though why he needs your consent to sell property which you have refused to accept beats me)............or you agree to let it go ahead & hopefully recover your money.......you never know he might sell it for more money in which case you could be better off

Did you get a receipt for the money you paid?

To avoid stress and worry, I would let him sell it again,you dont want, and hope he repays some or most of the money.Stay firm, but dont get too confrontational. He may just get fed up and tell you to sue for the money. stay cool, its not a lot of money really and not worth the angst!

Jonchris have you read this thread? I have NOT accused him of anything and I did NOT report him to eBay, davethorp did - so please bear this in mind when you advise me against making 'accusations'

All I want is a refund of my money.

I don't believe it :eek: but having checked the thread it appears that another poster has reported the seller as selling stolen property...that was the right of the OP & by doing this without the OP's consent the member may have caused even more trouble not only for the OP (the sale might be pulled) but also themselves.....they are a 3rd party making 'recorded' accusations of theft based on what amounts to hearsay

I know & I'm sorry I suggested you did......You will see from my post 45 I have corrected my mistake........of course you want your money.....I bet if you took a poll most here (including me) want you to have your money we just differ as to the best means of obtaining that worhwhile goal & bearing in mind this guy holds all the cards IMHO confrontation is NOT the way to go.......send him emails questioning his veracity after you have the money

Just found this info on eBay:

Sale of Goods Legislation

The most important piece of legislation relating to the sale of goods through eBay.co.uk is the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). The Act provides that wherever goods are bought they must “conform to contract”. This means that items sold through eBay by business sellers must be:

Therefore goods sold by business sellers must not be inherently faulty at the time of sale, must match any description given to them and, allowing for factors like price, they must be fit for their purpose, defect free, safe and durable. Where the seller is a private individual, the goods must be “as described”. The goods are not legally required to be of “satisfactory quality” or “fit for purpose”.

The item description stated "All the glass and ceiling panels are undamaged." which was not the case, the seller has now stated in the re-listed version "All the glass and ceiling panels are undamaged except for one panel that has a crack in it."

Its' all very well in a perfect world but in this case it's just your word against his that the goods where damaged BEFORE you picked them up.

Also have you considered this seller might even claim he's the good guy because he's 'agreed' to take the time & trouble of selling them for you