• Tweets

• It's a GR Yaris - Finance is with Alphera, who are part of BMW I believe. I'm sure the unit is very expensive to repair, I have even told them I would be happy with a refurbished/reconditioned unit, in trying to be reasonable as well.
    • Without seeing this envelope, document and sticker it is impossible to advise properly. However, just going on what you have told us, there are two ways you can deal with this: !. The easy way. This has the lowest risk but the guarantee of a penalty for speeding.  You can respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box you can explain that you responded to the request for driver’s details but it was recently returned to you, seemingly not actioned. However, you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. You could also ask the court to consider sentencing you at the fixed penalty level (£100 and 3 points) as this prosecution seems to be the result of an administrative problem outside your control. 2. The not so easy way with higher risk. This could see you convicted of the FtP charge but has the possibility that you escape with no penalty whatsoever. You can do the same – plead not guilty to both charges. If you go down this route the speeding charge cannot succeed as they have no evidence you were driving. This comes from your response to the request for driver’s details which the police say they have not got. You can mention in the “Reasons” box that you returned the request for driver’s details as required. You will then face a trial for the FtP charge and you can produced your response together with the envelope and sticker showing it had been returned to you. The risk with this is that if your defence fails you will be fined a week and a half’s net income, pay a “Victim Surcharge” of 40% of the fine, pay prosecution costs of around £650 and have six points together with an endorsement code (MS90) which will see your insurance premiums rocket.
    • Probably very expensive to replace what car and model who is your finance with ?   Andy
    • Topic moved to Financial legal Issues forum in view of the claim form. Topic title updated Please continue to post here, Andy   .
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be warned banks are sending in solicitors on claims as low as £500 be warned.

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

without victory there is no survival.”

(Winston Churchill Addressing the House of commons.)

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Don't really know where to begin with this one. I have a friend who has written to HSBC requesting his claim be considered for financial hardship under Annex 2 of the FSA revised guidelines, he ecnlosed proof of his financial situation. He was sent income/expenditure forms to complete which he returned two and a half months ago but hasn't heard anything back from them since. What is the best way forward for him.

Thanks.

TheyrCriminals

Hmm, I think they must reply within 8 weeks maximum! Of course in reality they aer not really bothered as they'll simply say it was an oversight.

BTW in my own case I went to the ATM and the card was retained. That means they have effectively cut off any cash I could get and now I've now no way of getting any money! Quite shameful to say the least regarding HSBC but I'm sure they are not bothered in the slightest!

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Hi TC :)

If the eight weeks are up, it's time to report them to the FOS.

This is easy, The procedure with the FOS is this;

Call them and explain briefly your situ-they will allocate you a complaint number.You can ask them to write to the Bank ...within a couple of days you will get a complaints pack from the FOS.In the meantime the Bank must respond to you following the FOS letter to them.

The complaints pack should be filled in and sent back to the FOS with any proof or docs.If you already have had a final response from the bank you can return it right away with a copy.

If the bank have taken adverse action while you are disputing the account,such as selling on debts defaulting or closing accounts-then this is in breach of banking codes criteria and also OFT guidance-you should complain about this too.

Many Courts are refusing to lift stays making decisions without hearings-its better to apply on notice using N244 and requesting a hearing-there is a charge but free for those who are eligible under fee remission.

Its advisable to submit the detailed waiver agreement which can be found on the OFT website.

I would also inform the FOS if the banks are opposing your lift of stay after you have made them aware you will be citing hardship.

Full details can be found here :-

our complaints procedure and how to complain

Hope this helps,

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Memo from the Banks - "Thanks for saving us, but we will fight for the right to be unfair, and use your money to do it!"

Professor David Bailey of the University of Birmingham Business School and I (John Clancy), a longstanding member of CAG, have just posted a joint Blog on Professor Bailey's highly influential and widely read Blog (which often crosses over onto the hard copy of the paper) on the Birmingham Post Website Business Blog called: 'Memo from the Banks - "Thanks for saving us, but we will fight for the right to be unfair, and use your money to do it!"'

It's here.

It makes the point that as we as taxpayers have bailed out the banks we are effectively now paying for all sides of the OFT 'test' case: all the lawyers for all 8 banks, the OFT's lawyers, the judges, the court staff, the expenses etc. Just for the banks to pursue a case that they are allowed to be unfair!

It argues that the government through UKFI (the body set up to protect the taxpayers' investments in the banks) should order the Banks and their huges teams of lawyers now effectively subsidised by the taxpayer, to drop the appeal against the High Court decision that their charges should actually be subject to the test of fairness.

It also argues that the banks should similarly be ordered as a matter of policy now (not legal argument) to return all bank charges which would involve a much needed boost of liquidity into the economy. The money to be used for bankers' bonuses can be used for the great bank charge payout.

It would be great to have CAGers here also comment on the Birmingham Post website on this rather hard-hitting campaigning approach with a new angle on the debate. Obviously feel free to reply here too!

Professor Bailey is a very well respected commentator and academic, it's great to have him on board.

I have also started a separate thread here. Sorry if that's not protocol: if any site moderators would like to either reposition this thread or place it where it will be seen by more viewers that would be great. A good number of comments in response to the blog on the Birmingham Post website would also be a coup for our campaign here, I think and help push the agenda forward.

John Clancy

Edited by jclancy
missed point

Ok what is this the UTCCR argument? YOu may think its ignorant of me to not be reading to find out, but when your case has been ongoing for almost 2 years then maybe you'd understand. I have lost all enthusiasm and the initial adrenaline has been lost, I no longer log in every day and have this website open all day every day, I've had enough and I just feel so p-ed off to put it bluntly!

SO in a nutshell my understanding of this new development is that there's another defence for us being this the UTCCR argument? Someone please enlighten me as to what this means, even if just means forwarding a link to me, thanks.

The main throust of the arguments now relied on by claimants relates to the fact that the terms imposing the charges represent unfair terms under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999.

Nobody believes that it costs a bank £25 to £39 to return a DD, SO or cheque. It is purely a money making scheme, and a lucrative one at that - last year Which! estimated that the top 4 UK high street banks made £3 Billion from these charges alone. One in five bank customers incur these types of charge, and because its a bank imposing them, most assume that the bank must be legally entitled to do so.

An interview by Radio 4 with Peter McNamara in 2004 has been transcribed and is in the library. Peter McNamara had previously been the Head of Personal Banking at Lloyds. In his interview, he makes it clear that charges are used to fund free banking for the whole population.

The full argument for UTCCR can be found here, Section 4 (b)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/681-4-particulars-claim-n1.html

Hope this helps,

Lex

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

&

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Choco,

I know it is a frustrating business all this but stay with it, even though it may take more time many believe, indeed as does Marc Gander believe, that the final outcome will be in favour of the consumer, although one can not say this for definite.

Let me try to explain the legal arguments for you. Ever since bank charge reclaiming began there have been two legal avenues for claimants to pursue. One is that these charges amounted to a penalty and therefore under common law (not statute) these charges would have been legally unenforceable so you could have claimed a refund. With the exception of Royal Bank of Scotland plc (owners of Natwest) the judge has found in favour of the banks on this point. As the OFT does not want to appeal on this point these charges therefore are not unenforceable penalties, so that particular legal avenue, for most, has been closed.

The second legal argument which only consumers can rely on is that these charges are unfair within the meaning of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 or UTCCR's. These regulations were introduced to ensure more fairness for contracting parties. The judge found against the banks on this point back in April last year which meant the charges could be assess by the OFT for fairness. If there had been no appeal this would have meant the OFT reducing the charges to a more fairer level. However the banks were allowed to appeal. The appeal hearing concluded at the beginning of November last year and the judgement is still awaited. I don't think anyone really knows when the judgement will come through but I for one am waiting eagerly for it, to say the least, as Im sure millions of other people are.

Try not to be too disheartened and remember if you have put in a court claim there is a little bit of compensation for the wait - an increase in your statutory interest, which in actual fact for some is quite a lot of money.

Hope this has helped,

TheyrCriminals

Edited by TheyrCriminals
  • Haha 1

Thanks to both for the above, very helpful, thanks. :-)

I guess my statutory interest is some comfort, as the charges that I was initially claiming back would only have covered my overdraft; which I always sensibaly planned to pay back once I got my fat cheque from Higley (those were the days...!) So I guess now after 2years of waiting the statutory interest must be quite high, so once it's over at least I can treat myself. On that note I think I'll dig out my spreadsheet and see exactly how much the interest has risen to as of todays date!! ;-)

Hi Choco,

Please tell me you have filed you case at court ?

I say this on most bank charge threads I am subscribed to and don't think it will go amiss here for anyone who is just starting and who has just found this thread.

'' Remember there is a test case ongoing with the OFT over Bank Charges, when you start to send off your letters, they will probably try to tell you you can't claim because the case's are 'stayed' It is important that you ignore this and carry on, only the courts can put a 'stay' on your claim.

Although the banks have a ongoing test case with OFT there are a number of reasons why you should start to claim at court now.

Any older charges (coming up to 6 years) could be lost if you wait for the OFT case to end. Start your claim now and those charges are protected.

When the stays are finally lifted, you will be one of the first in the queue to get paid.

You get 8% interest.

While the banks are protected by the stays, we the consumer, have no such protection and charges continue to mount up.

For some people this may mean going into default. If it is clear that the default was made in respect of charges and that it was lodged after a charges claim was begun then these users have a really excellent chance of having it removed. ''

Hope this helps

Lex

&

Hi Choco,

Please tell me you have filed you case at court ?

I say this on most bank charge threads I am subscribed to and don't think it will go amiss here for anyone who is just starting and who has just found this thread.

'' Remember there is a test case ongoing with the OFT over Bank Charges, when you start to send off your letters, they will probably try to tell you you can't claim because the case's are 'stayed' It is important that you ignore this and carry on, only the courts can put a 'stay' on your claim.

Although the banks have a ongoing test case with OFT there are a number of reasons why you should start to claim at court now.

Any older charges (coming up to 6 years) could be lost if you wait for the OFT case to end. Start your claim now and those charges are protected.

When the stays are finally lifted, you will be one of the first in the queue to get paid.

You get 8% interest.

While the banks are protected by the stays, we the consumer, have no such protection and charges continue to mount up.

For some people this may mean going into default. If it is clear that the default was made in respect of charges and that it was lodged after a charges claim was begun then these users have a really excellent chance of having it removed. ''

Hope this helps

Lex

Oh yes it's gone through all the stages, I was so close to getting my money, I basically was unfortunate as they just decided to do this stay business when I was due to get my payout!! I got my measley offer from higley and I turned it down!

I did appeal to have the stay lifted at the court back in Jan 2008 but I wrte back to the court telling them I didnt want to go ahead with it, because at that time everyone that was appealing was losing the case; it was clearly a time waster then, and a year on it's still the same thing!

Is it still worth starting a claim? I have been stung this week for almost £260 of charges for last months oooopsies and then for 4 DD to Paypal which were returned unpaid, all of which were for less than £10

Advice offered by Aretino is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it.

You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt

Is it still worth starting a claim? I have been stung this week for almost £260 of charges for last months oooopsies and then for 4 DD to Paypal which were returned unpaid, all of which were for less than £10

It sounds like you're suffering financial hardship, so maybe you should consider the FOS first, (get in a long queue) or even Court with an application to lift the inevitable stay for the OFT TC outcome on these grounds.

Start a claim through the bank and IF you are experiencing hardship (as defined by the FSA waiver Terms) explain this to them and detail any arrears and details of your hardship, and if you can enclose a copy of your income/expenditure sheet. Having such high charges can be an indicator of hardship but won't consitute hardship on its own. The bank aren't obliged to pay out and should offer assistance in other ways, such as moving to a basic account, allowing repayment installments on overdrafts/loans etc. If they do offer a payment then you can accept as an interim measure and the remainder of the claim will be sorted at the end of the test case.

They should reply to you with a final decision on hardship status within 8 weeks.

If you aren't suffering hardship then yes, get your complaint into the bank but expect to wait a while.

There seems to be a problem with regulating Bank Bonuses and this is where we can assist the powers that be in this dilemma. As we now effectively own large percentages of the Banks and contributed to the coffers with extortionate charges taken from us, it's time to refund. There should be a marked difference in Bonuses next year if the right thing is done this year.

There seems to be a problem with regulating Bank Bonuses and this is where we can assist the powers that be in this dilemma. As we now effectively own large percentages of the Banks and contributed to the coffers with extortionate charges taken from us, it's time to refund. There should be a marked difference in Bonuses next year if the right thing is done this year.

With respect I think you'll find that these 'failures' by banks will not facilitate the moving forward of the court case. In fact it would seem all the more reason for the opposite as the same finanial institutions will say they cannot afford it. Of course the argument 'well you could when you did it' but alas whilst personally I need these funds desperately but the attitude of banks have not changed. I feel I'm (together with everyone else) going to be in the queue for a long time to come. :-(

I've done two failed financial hardship claims already. I know that the FOS will back whatever the banks say so unless someone can suggest otherwise I'd feel it a bit of a pointless task to even bother with.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Don't you just laugh when they say they can't afford it! Have you seen the new Halifax advert, the one where they're giving out fivers, The advert costs a packet itself ,have they gone stark raving mad! Well, they all went mad many years ago so no change there then:-x

It's our money they're using, what do they care what it cost. They just ask for a price then write the cheque.

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

LOL The Halifax commercial - you need to read the fast moving bits at the bottom of the advert. I'm sure it says you have to pay in £1,000 a month......

Now sliding over to their web site 'spot' the overdraft 'con' (from their on-line details):

Do you know how much interest you pay if you go overdrawn? Not many people do, so we're keeping things simple. We'll use a fixed daily fee that's easy to track. Staying in control of your finances has never been simpler.

Arranged overdraft upto £2500 - £1 a day

Arranged overdraft over £2500 - £2 a day

UNarranged Overdraft - £5 a day

Swift calculation, so no fee but interest at 19.5% (keeping £1,000 overdrawn) for a whole year is, oh, £195. vs their (super duper) offer of £365 (at a £1 a day). Okay go to £2499 and it seems a great deal. Erm,what's the betting they have thought this up to avoid it being called unfair charges and fees? See even our blessed government probably thought that one up for them?

Let me turn my cynical mode off! LOL Sorry we have moved way off thread here.

Michael

LOL The Halifax commercial - you need to read the fast moving bits at the bottom of the advert. I'm sure it says you have to pay in £1,000 a month......

Now sliding over to their web site 'spot' the overdraft 'con' (from their on-line details):

Lol! The thing that hit me when I first saw it was 'another bank following in the steps of RBS', it took all those staff on however much per hour to give each customer £5, there must have been about 50 of them. If it was me they were giving it to, I would have screamed at them, then pushed the top person off and watch the rest of them fall. They are blatently telling us that they are totally wasting any money given to them :lol: hmmmm, good market staff yer have there........

Let 'em rot!

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin: