H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whatever happens the banks will stall for time, I won a ppi case around 6 weeks ago, I still dont have a figure they are going to pay. It has been going on for over two years. Can you imagine how the banks will faff around?

Don't worry, our mate Gordon Brown (or MSE Martin Lewis) will sort that aspect out...

Apparently...

:rolleyes:

Bump.

Latest position and covers the European aspect.

Cool, so no chance of an EU appeal then :)

I was thinking that they would go EU if Law lords decided against them.... but then thought, surely if they do the EU courts could not find in their favour.. if they did this would pretty much render any decision made in UK courts open to question.

Cool, so no chance of an EU appeal then :)

I was thinking that they would go EU if Law lords decided against them.... but then thought, surely if they do the EU courts could not find in their favour.. if they did this would pretty much render any decision made in UK courts open to question.

The EU advice would likely be that this is a decision for member states and only they can decide, with reference to EU law, how it applies in their respective areas.

I think the EU gets some bad press, but actually, they have a "intention" related law - which outlines what it aims to achieve - rather than the mundane and more specific rules that we have. (In most instances)

I think we all need to understand that the learned judges have a hard decision to make. Over coffee and brandies they need to consider something very controversial and that being 'Has a bank a right to charge ludicrous amounts as penalties for the 'failures' within the country'. We must remember that immigrants to the UK are helped and cared for so they woud not be included and therefore considered upstanding member of the community. To the layman this would seem very obvious but to learned people of high and exceptional calibre we should understand our place in society - 'the low life sector to be exact as they receive bank charges'.

These things cannot be rushed and the stays are their to protect the innocent financial institutions who are there to see fair play. The fact that they might pay certain employees literally millions (and I drive past their houses often!!) is of no concern to the people who allowed that to happen. The fact that the (born) British public are really human sheep is something they totally understand - aka the underdogs/serfs/commoners!

I have a good friend of mine - she will not claim unfair charges because she feels ashamed she ever put herself in the position of them. This is in fact a thing the banks rely on and many people aspire to!

Michael

(missing many 'winks' within his post)

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

(missing many 'winks' within his post)

Phew! There's me thinking you were on the turn! ;) (Car2403 quickily checks the mod control panel to ensure IS's account hasn't been hijacked by Mr Barclays' secret agent... :lol:)

I think it's all about legal argument - the Banks don't have one, other than, "we'd be in the mire if we didn't charge loads", whereas the Law Lords are only concerned about the fairness of the contract, not the impact on the Banks of not getting the money. To say that the Law Lords are considering the Economy is a clear statement that shows a lack of understanding of the Law Lords and their ways. If you want a laugh look up Lord Denning's Judgments, and you'll soon see that the Banks are in big trouble. (Ah, if that old blighter was still about to deal with this issue, me can be in hope... :))

• Haha 1

If you want a laugh look up Lord Denning's Judgments, and you'll soon see that the Banks are in big trouble. (Ah, if that old blighter was still about to deal with this issue, me can be in hope... :))

If he were then this would have been over and done with and we would all be out there helping the economy back on its feet.. by spending our "ill gotten gains" :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Never mind him, if only we'd managed to get one of our cases in front of Judge McKay 2 years ago, we would have a precedent in our favour by now, which is what I am convinced prompted the test case in the 1st place, as it was only a matter of time before one of the cases slipped past the banks and actually went to court instead of the banks settling at whatever cost rather than explain themselves to Mr McKay. *sigh*

i think it is time to leave britain..... reading report on here regarding HOL and their verdict it sounds like banks are looking at damage limitation.... if allowed they might have to pay back £100 billion.... the government can not support this amount financially. I have just been told the Territorial army is to close for 6 months to save money as the government can not afford to pay them... this is going to be bad,,,, really bad....armageddon

there must be lots of squeeky bums around parliament and the banking ivory towers as we speak....is it still 2 days to announcement

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

Why on earth should the government help the banks out with the payment back of unlawful charges?!

Private companies should not be able to expect handouts from the state when they get into trouble, especially if it is their own conduct that has got them there!

Please note nothing I say constitutes legal advice.

Why on earth should the government help the banks out with the payment back of unlawful charges?!

Private companies should not be able to expect handouts from the state when they get into trouble, especially if it is their own conduct that has got them there!

It's a case of 'catch 22' in so much as the government needs the banks and the banks need the government for potential handouts of taxpayers money! If that 'banded' figure of £100 billion is anything to go for then we should think the reasons 'frittered' away billions. They certainly never made those levels of profit. Hang on a second, pensions, sports and social facilities and fat cat bonuses might be a starting guess.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

hi peter govn already bailed out banks for mistakes and has as been said unfortunately in this day and age banks are a neccesities....£100 billion will throw the UK into a state of 3rd world country we already owe £175 billion.... all the asset sales in the world would never pay over £275 billion total.... so what do we do. for the govt to sell things is a last resort... think about your own personal circumstances when you got no money and cant borrow any you might sell a few bits....

if the government has closed the territorial army which is our last line of defence then what next... we can not borrow any more from anyone...

the queen and her art, jewels, land we are in deep sh*t and i for one can not see how this can be reveresed. I have been a member of cag for some years and have claimed back quite some money for self and others... but this case is landmark and could bring the country to its knees.... I for one am not sure what the lesser of 2 evils is right now?????????????????????????? I might be jumping the gun on the HOL result.... but when things like closing TA for 6 months is not even in the news then what else is being hidden from the masses.... I for one think any sign of recovery is about to be shattered beyond anything we have ever known..........

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

found link to story Territorial Army told to stop training - Defence Management

im amazed at this tbh !

I agree, we deserve to have our money returned .... but if this bankrupts the country what do we gain ????? :(

Banks have well and truly shafted each and every one of us... The government should force the ceo's to pay 50% of their yearly income into the state .... and same for bonuses since the credit crunch started.

sorry to butt in

its the banks insurance that pays out when they lose in court

the money has allready been put aside for this .

If this is so maybe insurance should be my new career path. I want the commision for the premiums they all paid! :D

Off topic but we have to keep ourselves amused.

Michael

The system of banking we have both equally and ever reprobated. I contemplate it as a blot left in all our constitutions, which, if not covered, will end in their destruction, which is already hit by the gamblers in corruption, and is sweeping away in its progress the fortunes and morals of our citizens.

Thomas Jefferson

However, he also said:

Never spend your money before you have it.

The banks deserve whats coming in my opinion, this situation didnt arrive overnight and has taken many years of risk taking and bad management but now we talk about bonus cuts and salary cuts for bankers. What about the years leading up to this when they were collecting kings ransoms in bonusses for supposed great profits, why shouldnt these payments be questioned, the MP,s are at it as well, how long has this been going on for and why shouldnt they be facing criminal proceedings, the layman wouldnt be allowed the same privalege for fraud in their workplace. The banks and their practices have contributed to many thousands of people losing their houses and businessess, and I for one wouldn't lose any sleep over their plight. What goes around comes around and when it does it will be sweet.

The banks deserve whats coming in my opinion, this situation didnt arrive overnight and has taken many years of risk taking and bad management but now we talk about bonus cuts and salary cuts for bankers. What about the years leading up to this when they were collecting kings ransoms in bonusses for supposed great profits, why shouldnt these payments be questioned, the MP,s are at it as well, how long has this been going on for and why shouldnt they be facing criminal proceedings, the layman wouldnt be allowed the same privalege for fraud in their workplace. The banks and their practices have contributed to many thousands of people losing their houses and businessess, and I for one wouldn't lose any sleep over their plight. What goes around comes around and when it does it will be sweet.

I agree- These barstewards have contributed to getting millions of us less well off into years of misery that some of us have taken to our graves.

The have ruined people with less than honest practices to fuel greed at the expense of the unfortunate.

The government should drag them through the courts to get all their illgotten gains back from them- and then shoot the b********.

Phew! That feels better- I think I will have a cuppa.

I might remind everybody that the banks have been well aware of what the outcome may be, but that hasn't stopped them continuing to impose their charges, while you have had to hold back on your claims.

I wonder how much they have made with their charges since the OFT case started?

Alan

Absolutely...the Banks should be made to pay every penny back plus restitution with no regards to any plea from them in mitigation. They DO NOT have my sympathy at all. Every "normal" person has to abide by the rules and if mistakes or otherwise are made then we are forced to pay back everything plus interest plus costs. WHY are the MP's and Bankers above the Law?

If they had acted sensibly and RESPONSIBLY in the first place none of this would have happened. I mean DUH! do they not have legal teams in the Bank's employ whose sole job it is is to ensure their practices and products comply with all laws, statutes and customs of the countries they operate in?

Personally, if the Banks are pleading poverty, let them claim back the bonuses from the pillocks that put this in place in the first place and tough breasts if there's a shortfall....sell some of your ill-gotten assetts then!

You're right, it does make you feel better having a rant......off for a cuppa now to.... :p

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Looks like it will now be after 26 October anyway:

ROBERTSON-HOLBROOK News

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'

Thomas Jefferson 1802