• Tweets

• Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
    • Sars request sent on 16th March and also sent a complaint separately to Studio. Have received no response. Both letters were received and signed for.  I was also told by the financial ombudsman that studio were investigating but I've also had no response to that either.  The only thing Studio have sent me is a default notice.  Any ideas of what I can do from here please 
    • Thanks Bank - I shall tweak my draft and repost. And here's today's ridiculous email from the P2G 'Claims Dept' Good Morning,  Thank you for you email. Unfortunately we would be unable to pay the amount advised in your previous email.  When you placed the order, you were asked for the value of your parcel, you stated that the value was £265.00. At this stage the booking advised that you were covered to £20.00 and to enhance this to £260.00 you could pay an extra £13.99 + VAT to fully cover your item for loss or damage during transit, you declined to fully cover your item.  Towards the end of your booking on the confirmation page, you were then offered to take cover again, to which you declined again.  Unfortunately, we would be unable to offer you an enhanced payment on this occasion.  If I can assist further, please do let me know.  Kindest Regards Claims Team and my response Good Afternoon  Do you not understand the court cases of PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729)? In both cases it was held by the courts that there was no need for additional ‘cover’ or ‘protection’ (or whatever you wish to call it) on top of the standard delivery charge, and P2G were required to pay up in full for both cases, which by then also included court costs and interest. I shall be including copies of both those judgements in the bundle I submit to the court next Wednesday 1 May, unless you settle my claim (£274.10) in full before then. Tick tock…..    
    • IMG_2820-IMG_2820-merged.pdfmerged.pdf Case management was this morning. Here is the Sheriff’s order. Moved case forward to 24/05.   He said there was no signed agreement and after a bit of “erm, erm, yeah but, erm” when he asked them, he allowed time for sol to contact claimant.  what is the next step now? thank you UCM  
    • I've had a quick (well, quick for a thread of this length),  read of this thread and to be honest I'm struggling to make heads nor tails of the actual crux of the issue here. You seem awfully convinced that whatever is going on is worth the fight and the odds are in your favour but with how the thread has gone it seems that one trail goes cold so you simply move on to another in an attempt to delay the inevitable. All it does is end up digging holes and confusing others and yourself which means any advice given to you is completely pointless. I note that for the life of this thread there has not been any documentation or correspondence uploaded for people to have a look. Have you got any that you'd be willing to redact and upload for members to assist you? Right now, it seems people are shooting out advice while being in the dark because it's starting to become very difficult for people who weren't here at the start of this (including myself) to follow along. Right now, this whole thread is just hypothetical "He said, she said" and is going nowhere fast. Nothing more than basic advice can be given which, as you've sought out some legal advice, is likely not sufficient to actually come to any sort of conclusion. I, personally, am starting to agree with others that it may be best to consider bankruptcy and put the matter behind you.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

mackerel vs barclaycard! ***WON***

mackerel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

But have you contacted BLT (Barclays Litigation Team) to tell them you have a CCJ against them.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/94602-barclays-litigation-team-good.html

I'm sure many of the contacts will need to be amended but you should still be able to get through to someone. Let us know if you have problems.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed them just now. Thanks for that, otherwise i'd still be on the phone to bangalore. Ended up emailing about 15 people, as a lot of them got sent back to me telling me to email someone else. Sharon Daboul then emailed me within a couple of minutes:

We do not appear to have received your Claim Form or a copy of the Judgment and are therefore looking into what has happened.

We are also waiting to hear back from the Court, and should be in touch again on Wednesday.

?

lets see what they'll say on wednesday...

edit - of all the ones i emailed, the only two who still seem to remain at barclays are sue brock and sharon daboul. All the others repy with messages that they no longer work there.

Hi Mack,

They'll have been sent it by the court and it'll be sitting unnoticed on someone's desk, until they realise :eek: you have a CCJ against them.

Let me have a word with the Site Team to see what you should do next - ITV News, Daily Mail, etc.:p

Could you put the useable Contact Details in the BLT thread for others to see. Include email addy, tel or fax nos., thanks.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Well she said she'd get back to me on wednesday, but didn't, so i emailed her thursday and got this reply:

Dear Mackerel

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

We are still in contact with the Court with regard to the outstanding documents and will be in touch with you again in due course.

Kind regards,

Sharon Daboul

outstanding documents???

Not sure if i should let them make me wait, or if i should head off to the court and enforce judgement? Due course could be weeks...

Hi Mack,

I asked the Site Team and Steven4064 said,

" sit tight and wait for opportunity to get enforcement order? "

In my opinion, you could run around like a headless chicken trying to hurry BC's response, but to no avail. Let them get on with whatever they're doing and, when you've had enough, go for enforcement.

Also, you could talk to the court and see if they can tell you if BC were sent a copy of the Judgement and on what date. They may also tell you if BC are trying to get it Set Aside.

:mad:

Got a letter from barclaycard today along with a copy of an Application Notice that they sent to my local county court.

They intend for "the default judgement in this claim be set aside and re-instated"

becase...

"the default judgement has been entered in error as the address for service on the claim form was incorrect which resulted in the defendant never receiving the claim form".

The address they sent this from is level 29, 1 churchill place.

Attached is a sheet:

1. Under CPR 6.5(6) it states the acceptable places for service on a registered company are either the principal office of the company, or any place of business within the jurisdiction which has a real connection with the claim.

2. The address on which the claim was served is a Po Box address which is not the principal office of Barclays Bank PLC, and / or has no real connection to the claim.

3. No details of this claim had previously been brought to the attention of the defendant. The first knowledge of this claim and it's default arose from email communication from the claimant dated 15/09/08 (copy attached), which was sent directly to the Banks Legal department, at the principal office.

4. Further to the above, the Claimant has issued a separate claim for the return of charges applied to a different account, which was correctly served on the principal office.

5. For the reasons above the defendant respectfully requests that this matter be put before the District Judge for consideration, that the judgement be set-aside, and the claim be reinstated and allowed to proceed.

A bit confused. Now they say their principal office is churchill place, london, yet all my correspondance with barclaycard has been sent to (and i stress) received from northampton. This makes points 1 and 2 confusing - isn't that connected to the claim - that they have replied to my letters, that barclaycard is one of their companies? So how can this be the first time the matter has been brought to their attention, where they have replied to letters including initial request for repayment, lba, etc???

I'm not sure what to do next- do i write a reply to the courts?

Hi Mack,

Fire a letter into court over the w/e and deliver by hand if poss so Judge can read it alongside BC's Appl'n for Set Aside.

Point out that you have used the same address from the outset, as can be shown from all your copy letters, and this was the address you used when filing your claim. They have replied to correspondance and you have letters confirming this too.

Accordingly, you do not believe the Defendant has any grounds to request the Judgement be Set Aside.

You could add that BC have failed on virtually every occassion to defend such cases in court. They wait until the 11th hour and then settle - accordingly, their Appl'n for Set Aside is an abuse of the court process.

Just my 2p's worth:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Got a letter this morning. The judge agreed with the defendant and has set-aside the judgement. It reads:

Upon reading the Defendants application dated 18th September 2008

And upon noting that the claim form was not served in accordance with CPR Part 6.5

And without notice

It is ordered that

The judgement be set-aside.

The defendant do file it's defence by 4pm on 24th October

Really not happy that i can follow the entire process through, and then get sent back to the beginning on a technicality. I mean, is everyone issuing claims against barclaycard sending their correspondance to the london address, or the northampton one? And i'm sure barclaycard is a subsidary of barclays, therefore any legal action would be forwarded to the relevant department? I don't know, obviously. But i'm not sure what to make of the judgement - is he saying i need to reapply the whole order, or just that barclaycard (barclays?) need to address the claim and prepare a decent defence? Or does it mean i need to resubmit my claim before the 24th?

Hi Mack and sorry to hear of this.

With the Judgement set aside, BC now have to submit their defence in response to your claim. You don't need to do anything until you get their defence.

You could always contact BLT and see if they want to settle now that they know of your claim.

We'll have to sort this so other CAGers don't fall foul of this. We'll establish what address BC consider should be used.

Hi Mack,

As a consequence of their success here, we must ensure that future claims issued against BC go to the correct address.

Can you please confirm the address they say is wrong, and the one they say is supposed to be used. Wecan then make this known to future claimants.

Hello Slick132!

I think Barclays are playing silly games and, on this occasion, they managed to fool a Judge.

However, the bottom line is that Barclaycard is just Barclays Bank plc Trading As.

The 1 Churchill Place London Address is their Primary Registered Company Office, and so it is the valid Address for all Documents to be served:

Barclays Bank plc

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

I send everything relating to Disputes with Barclays or Barclaycard to 1 Churchill Place addressed to The Company Secretary. Even when they fail to respond, I have Signed Proof of Delivery at their Registered Office, addressed to the correct Official for Serving Letters and Documents. This then makes them look very silly if they ever claim non-receipt.

My advice for anyone involved with any Claim or Dispute with any banker, is to always address all correspondence to The Company Secretary at their Registered Company Office.

Even when they write to me from other departments, all of my replies go to The Company Secretary at the Registered Office. I make reference to the last Letter received on X Date and written by X banker, but my Letters all go to The Company Secretary.

I feel that should be the message to give out to all CAGGERS, as I have seen Posts and Stickies saying where Letters, CCA Requests and SARs should be sent which are often just Departments within the organisation concerned. I think that is unwise, as it could mean a banker using the incorrect Address trick above to duck the issue.

If everything is sent to The Company Secretary/Registered Office, I do not feel you can go wrong. Likewise, they can never argue a Letter or Document was mis-Served if you also have Signed Proof of Delivery.

As an added bonus, this often means it is inconvenient for them too, as they have to then route the Documents to the right Department. Indeed, they may even lose them in-house.

Tough. Once delivered, it's their problem to look after it and route it to the correct Department.

After all, they are big sophisticated financial organisations, and so it is not unreasonable to assume they are well geared to routing Letters and important Documents when Served at their Registered Office.

If in any doubt where to send, just go to the Companies House Web Site:

Companies House

[This Site is off-line at the moment for some reason, but the Link is correct and will be live again soon]

When there, do a Search on the Company Name or Company Registration Number that must be on all Letters sent from a Company. If those details are not on their Letters to you, then report them to Companies House.

I hope this helps, sorry it was not in time to help so far.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
banker does not deserve a Capital B!

BC have been very lucky to to get away with this.

They've gone to this trouble because the claim includes interest at the contractual rate.

It will be interesting (no pun intended) to see how far they are prepared to go to to defend. They won't want to actually take the case into court, so they'll have to settle.

I wonder if Mack needs to seek costs from BC as part of the settlement.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the absence. Got a little disheartened, until i got a letter from the courts yesterday.

Not yet ready to give up the fight!

The letter from the courts included a copy of their defence (the courts recieved their defence on the 20th of October, and i got it on the 8th November?!) and an allocation questionnaire. Barclaycard's defence is a bit too long to write out (it's over 3 pages) but it is photocopied from a source document (it's wonky on one page). Considering how slippery they've been, i'll write out their whole defence if anyone wants to scrutinise it?

However, the bottom line is that Barclaycard is just Barclays Bank plc Trading As.

Funny you say that... the first point on their defence:

Barclaycard is a trading division of Barclays Bank PLC and not a legal entity in it's own right.

And the title of the defence:

mackerel vs Barclays Bank PLC T/A Barclaycard

I did serve the papers to the Northampton address (pavillion drive), and they argued their registered address, as pointed out already, is Churchill Place, London. Really annoying, especially since all their correspondance came from the northampton address too, on barclaycard headed letters! Anyway, i would definitely advise a notice being made that any papers or even initial requests for repayment are made to the london address, so they know that this was the last time they were able to use this primary address excuse successfully.

The covering letter of the papers returned by the courts state something i don't really understand:

In your allocation questionnaire please state whether or not you consider the issues or any of them are covered by the case that has been brought by the office of fair trading against a number of banks and give brief reasons.

What does that mean? Are they already planning on staying my case? Also is there a different protocol for filling out the AQ for credit cards?

I have until 24th November to return the AQ.

Hi Mack and good to see you back and ready to carry on this fight.

The answer is that, "Because this is a claim for repayment of Credit Card charges, it is not concerned with or affected by the issues raised in the commercial case being considered in the High Court between the OFT and several banks."

Your AQ should include the Draft Directions as before. :)

Edited by slick132
amended for exact use

Hi Mack,

You didn't mention the Draft Directions but I assume you've included those.

So in box G of the N149, put the statement which I've now amended above for use, plus the mention of the Draft Directions which which are attached.

Hi Mack,

Pt's example is for cases where bank or DCA has filed a claim against you and the Credit Agreement is missing or not complete.

Jonni2Bad's is the example you should be using.

Hey Mack,

Better luck with this case on your 2nd run - they shouldn't be able to wriggle out again, so I hope you have a Wasted Costs Order ready to present which will include both sets of litigation.

• 3 months later...

wow, 3 months to the day!

Things were held up at the courts for a while as they were waiting for some paperwork from me without telling me (grr) but after that was sorted... i was emailed by someone from barclays legal department. In the meantime, i've moved house (not sure how that will affect my claim - do i tell the courts, and barclaycard? Or just the courts?). The email, sent 4 days ago:

My name is Sandy Dewolfe from Barclays Bank. I am working on your Barclaycard Claim. I have tried to contact you on your mobile and the landline number we have listed for you. Yet, have been unable to reach you to discuss the Claim. Could you give me a call on the number listed below.

Now, to be honest, i don't really want to be flooded with legal jargon or agree to something i can't post on here first for advice. So how can i say that i do not want to talk over the phone, but only by email - will things progress with that sort of attitude, or will it just makes things stagger along even more?

Hi Mack,

Write to the court and to BLT, confirming your new address. Use Rec'd Del'y for the letter to the bank, which will go to Churchill Place.

I'd be inclined to send an email back saying you are confident that your case, and the basis for claiming interest, are strong. You are therefore happy to let the case be heard in court, unless they agree to refund in full according to your latest updated SOC, a copy of which is enclosed.

Add to the SOC all court fees paid to give an updated settlement figure.

Confirm there is nothing you feel the need to discuss by telephone but they are welcome to confirm their agreement to settle in full by email, to avoid the further expense which will be incurred when the case is heard in court.

Confirm that you will be happy to discontinue the court proceedings once they have credited your a/c.

If this settl't will clear the a/c balance, you'll require the remainder to be credited to your bank a/c no. xxxx xxxx.

Edited by slick132
typo

Good luck mack

been following your thread

keep positive

laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Still haven't heard back from them, either by letter or email. Seems like its gone back to the old waiting game. Do you think i should email ol' sandy, asking if they recieved my new address and updated SOC, or would that look too desperate?

Edited by mackerel