unfair treatment at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello everyone, looking for some advice, i have had artherits since i was 16 which i will be getting treatment for life, when i applied for my current job 3 years ago i disclosed this info too them and they were happy to take me on,but over the last year or so i have needed to take time off on occastions due to being in alot of pain as this is classed as ill health its not counted towards a dissaplinary , but i have now been told that if i have more than 8 shifts off in a 6 month period due to ill health i would be faced with a dissaplinary , and after asking around with others with ill health that have more time off than me i seem to be the only person put on this restriction, can they really do this:o?

also as i work nights, no hot food is provided and we do have vending machines but are usually empty by the time we start by the evening staff and not filled again till the morning, surly thet should provide us with food?

thanks in advance for any help in this:confused:

Hi,

Simple answer. They can not treat you any differently than anyone else regarding sickness policy.

Regarding food. No they do not have to provide you with food unless it’s in your contract. There is nothing in employment law that says people on nights or otherwise have to be provided with food. Simply put, it’s up to you to feed yourself at work, have you thought of taking sandwiches in?

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

Cal37 is right. To exercise a different policy regarding sickness absence for one employee without treating all employees in the same way is potentially discriminatory. Policy should be clearly stated in your terms and conditions and must be applied equally. If you alone are being singled out then it would be very easy to make a grievance from the fact that this could be due to your known disability. You are entitled to question exactly what the company policy is and whether all staff will be subject to the same rules. If not stated in the Company Handbook or in individual contracts then it cannot be just adopted on a whim to suit one particular case.

Food does not have to be provided by your employer, but once again, the fact that it is provided to one shift but not another is sufficient for you to ask the question as to why the facility is not replenished for the night shift. This would be a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!