• Tweets

• god they've got at you haven't they. told you all the usual utter BS. a CCJ vanishes from your credit file on it's 6th B'Day regardless to being paid off or not or paying or not. same with any debt with a registered defaulted date - it vanishes from your file on the DN's 6th B'day regardless. creditfix are Knightsbridge, (they renamed) there are 100's of threads here on Knightsbridge, if i remember rightly 2 of the directors of a certain very big IVA provider were struck off for embezzling £1m's out of debtors. pers i'd stop paying now.  end of . just ignore them all. 99% of your debts are to utterly powerless DCA's and probably were never owed in the first place only goes to firm up my belief from post one..you got had blind. its very easy to deal with the debts even those with CCJ's. can you copy and paste what you credit file says regarding the IVA please?   
    • The airline says it is investigating reports that customers can view other passengers' personal information.View the full article
    • They are finding new ways to cut back on household spending as China’s economy loses steam.View the full article
    • Sorry I meant credit fix - I really wish I'd known this before - kicking myself right now  If they come back to me asking for more money I'll cancel it and start trying to deal with the debt myself let's see what they say  Feeling tempted to cancel it now but scared that some of the debts will do more CCJ's on me and I'll have to wait 6 years again.  2 of the CCJ come of this year and then I'll only have the iva in credit file - effectively if I'd have not took out the iva in 2021 I'd have clear score by now - but then again would I because I would have been hounded the last 3 years, as bad as it is it's saves me lots of headaches whilst my debt was still within the 6 year mark.  I think most of them are near there but in all honesty no point chasing them if I do cancel iva I'd jjst wait for the ones who contact me and then start the relevant letter process on them.  Of over 6 years easy if not still possible to write off. My true victory would be having the iva wiped off my credit file as mis sold or something that way I Don't have to wait till 2027 Other option is to fight back and ask for them to offer the creditors to accept payments so far and use the following method    Will your IVA firm agree to complete your IVA on the basic of funds paid to date? The Guidance lists a lot of factors to be considered in deciding whether a settlement on the basis of funds paid to date should be proposed. You should read the list. But that may not give you any feel for whether they apply to you or not. The following are my thoughts on when an IVA should be treated as settled, not failed. They assume that you have £75 or less to pay a month: if you would currently qualify for a Debt Relief Order, then your IVA should be settled now  There is no point in making your IVA fail and you have to apply for a DRO – it will not generate another penny for your creditors. If you are renting and owe less than £50,000, check the DRO criteria now and talk to National Debtline on 0808 808 4000 about whether you qualify. You may have been told at the start of your IVA that you aren’t eligible – still check now as the DRO criteria have changed, your situation has got worse, and some people were given incorrect information about DROs at the start. if you have no assets that would be realised in bankruptcy (eg a house with equity, car worth over £2000), then your IVA should be settled now Same as (1), there is no point in making you apply for bankruptcy after your IVA fails. if your only asset is a car that is worth less than £8000, then your IVA should be settled now A car that is worth say £5000 would normally be sold in bankruptcy and you would be given a small amount to buy a cheaper car. But your creditors would not get any benefit from this as the Insolvency Service takes the first £8000 raised to cover its own costs. if you have significant assets, the closer you are to the end of the IVA, the less reasonable it is to fail it If you have been paying your IVA for 4 years, you have done your best over a long period. It isn’t your fault you can no longer continue. The fact you may have had equity to release isn’t relevant as that simply isn’t going to be possible. if your situation will clearly improve soon, then it’s unlikely your IVA will be settled I mean real improvements, not hoping that prices fall. If I can get them to accept payment to date or threaten with cancellation hopefully they may accept it -  Other option is to try and borrow money and pay make a full and final offer  Or I can just ignore and hope for the best which I'm very tempted to do especially if they respond to my review with bullying tactics despite me being skint as a fart with no mortgage as renting  It's so stressful but I've just checked the iva agreement from 2021 and it's Cabot 2 accounts Lowell about 5 accounts and then lots of repeats of the same debt with for example zopa and Cabot same amount listed twice -  also loyyds banks but I'm sure that's older than 6 years and not on credit file anyway  If I can somehow remove the iva from my credit file I'd be happy 
    • India has one of the world's fastest growing economies but the benefits are yet to fully reach the poorest.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Inside a DCA!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4887 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Also be aware that it is not unknown for a DCA to be looking for YOU but change the details of the 'debtor' in order to get you to confirm who you really are. Then 2 months after calling and telling them your not Miss X but Mrs Y they start chasing you for a statute barred debt because they were really looking for Mrs Y.

Ooh that's a cunning plan.

I opened a brown envelope with red handwriting on the front addressed to the previous owners of my house. Lucky that I did as it was from the bailiffs saying they were coming in 7 days to repossess the house:eek:. Luckily the defaulted loan had been repaid when the house was sold but someone forgot to tell the court!!

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A letter was recently sent to my address to someone unknown but with with the same surname, a different title and initials. Of course I didn't open it as it was addressed to someone else, but as it went in the trash the envelope tore. It was a DCA letter chasing an outstanding debt from Southern Water.

Dear Miss ???

Having confirmed your current address our client is anxious to resolve the outstanding debt.

You must call us immediately to arrange repayment of your outstanding debt.

If you are not the person named above, please accept our apologies and call us on 0845 40 224 30 to confirm this. If you do not call to tell us we will assume that you are the correct person.

Should we not hear from you within 7 days of the date of this letter, we may commence legal action to recover the outstanding debt.

Yours sincerely,

Advantis Credit Ltd

Now, first of all, any letters not addressed to a known person at my address would be binned. However, this company expects a stranger to open someone else's post and phone them to say that they are not the addressee. Is this some kind of breach of confidentiality or malpractice?

Also, this evening had a weird call. It may have been a voice activated message as they did not ask who they were talking to. The line was fuzzy, I said hello, hello, then a voice said, "Hello, this is an important call from Advantis Credit. Please phone on 0845." I put down phone in mid sentence as the woman did not ask for me by name. Is this another breach of customer confidentiality? I do not know this company, have no debts, and have been getting loads of marketing calls recently and am pretty fed up with unsolicited calls.

Could anyone tell me if it is safe to ignore. Pretty weird on their letter that they say, "Having confirmed your current address, our client is anxious to resolve the outstanding debt." I've never had letters or correspondence from any of these people before and have been at this address for several years.

Help!!!:confused:

The inaudible message in which only the number can be heard is the oldest gag in the book for these DCA's

Believe it or not but they actually have a device fitted to their phones which produces what sounds like static until that is they quote their number which you will hear loud & clear. You call back & they think they have the person they are looking for.

My advice is get BT's Call Minder This allows you to stop up to 10 numbers of your choice from getting through to you........& whatever you do, 'gone away' or not DON'T return their letters.........bin em

This is a shot in the dark from a DCA. Just send ALL letters back addressed to this person and write 'not know at address' (that's if there is a return address :rolleyes: , if not bin them), worse case they will send an agent to confirm you are not the debtor. to be honest, I have done such visits as part of my 'training' and they last about 5 mins: they just confirm your name and ask for one proof of identity. If you provide it they wipe their records of your details and send it back. Problem gone. I have spent nearly 3 years sending the previous tenants mail back to the sender. One day l got a letter that was open when it came threw the post box now the letter had obviously come out of the envelope as it had been put back in the wrong way round, how the postie new it was for here without looking in it l dont know, So not to be nosey but to find out who it was adressed to i read the letter and it was 1st credit for the previous tenant.

I emailed them demanding they stop sending mail for the previous tenant and if they did not i would make a complaint to the police and sue the company.

well exactly 4 days later i recieved another letter posted threw hte door open and the wrong way round.

So l called the head office and demanded they do something about it. they were not open as it was saturday so l left a message.

Monday l recieved a telephone call asking what the problem was. So i explained needless to say the guy on the end of the phone was very defensive and said we are trying to chase Mr XXX of the date of birth XXX who is the registered owner of this address.

I started quoting the DPA and informed him that Mr XX had moved out the previous 11 years b4 and that he was last seen in Norwich.

I also asked why they had continued to send the letters to my address as i had been telling them for nearly 3 years the guy had moved out. He then said we dont accept that ppl have moved out by the returning of mail and emails as it is a way of avoid debt.

He then agreed to stop sending letters for this person as he had done a search on the electrol roll and could see he did not live here.

3 days later we recieved a letter for the previous tenents wifes boyfrind and when and made a telephone compalint about this needless to say this one is sorted sooner rather than later.

It is true that you are not allowed to open mail addressed to someone else, but hay, we all want to know what's going on. But you should just return it unopened (but I wouldn't make a special trip to the letter box ;-) ).

Also be aware that it is not unknown for a DCA to be looking for YOU but change the details of the 'debtor' in order to get you to confirm who you really are. Then 2 months after calling and telling them your not Miss X but Mrs Y they start chasing you for a statute barred debt because they were really looking for Mrs Y.

Why is it that this company did not get the message for so long?

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I know they say ignoring a dca, burying your head in the sand etc is not a stagedy that works , but people with statute barred debts today never had sites like this to go and visit, who knew anything about the statute of limitations then (mid 90's), other than the legal profession.

I don't know if it's a good method to use today or not, but that is what I did in the 90's. I tried to pay these people but the letters and calls were incessant, at work at home. One day I just stopped dealing with them , binned the letters, told them to f off on the phone and assumed the position of what would be the ideal stance for somebody attempting to get a debt statute barred , except in those days I didn't know it . So that did work, at least for me.

"About 5% of accounts in the UK are

suitable for litigation. The point is to go

after can-pay or can-pay-more accounts,

says Locke, referring to debtors who

refuse to pay or who won’t pay an

appropriate amount relative to their

financial wherewithal."

http://www.credit-manager.co.uk/other/CCR%20May07%20UKDebtCrisis.pdf

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

In the case of mistaken identity my advice for what it's worth is

1/don't speak to them.......ever

2/don't write to them........ever

3/don't give them any information........whatsoever......not even the time of day

If they can't take the time to check the electoral roll then that's their problem & if they persist complain to the appropriate authorities

But whatever you do don't make contact

• Haha 1

In the case of mistaken identity my advice for what it's worth is

1/don't speak to them.......ever

2/don't write to them........ever

3/don't give them any information........whatsoever......not even the time of day

If they can't take the time to check the electoral roll then that's their problem & if they persist complain to the appropriate authorities

But whatever you do don't make contact

Good advice, thanks.

A strategies that don’t work ie running away ect… would be good but also a section on " how to make the DCA see sense would be good to"

:-)

That I could use!!

As previously stated, short of winning the lottery the chances of clearing my debts in this lifetime are pretty slim. Obviously I don't really expect them to believe everyone that tells them that!

It really is just so frustrating to think you have arranged a deal everyone can live with, only for them to come back for another go. If they accepted in the first instance, why do they turn round in a couple of months time and tell you that you must pay more or else.

The really ridiculous part is if you lose it and just tell them to f*** off, it's rather like John Cleese in 'The life of Brian'

When being pursued across the desert by a mob, he says,

"why don't you all just f*** off"

and a voice pops up,

"But how shall we f*** off Lord".

David

I have done such visits as part of my 'training' and they last about 5 mins: they just confirm your name and ask for one proof of identity. If you provide it they wipe their records of your details and send it back. Problem gone.

If someone turned up on my doorstep and demanded proof that I wasn't the person they thought I was, they'd get the door shut in their face.

Problem gone. :D

Quite!

How dare they turn up at my front door & demand I tell them who I am....Like you seahorse I would give very short shrift & order them off my property & they certainly would have to walk away..........none the wiser

OTB makes a very valuable contribution to this forum but isn't just a little disconcerting that even good guy like him thinks it's perfectly permissible to just turn up to someones door & demand their identity:eek:

Quite!

How dare they turn up at my front door & demand I tell them who I am....

OTB makes a very valuable contribution to this forum but isn't just a little disconcerting that even good guy like him thinks it's perfectly permissible to just turn up to someones door & demand their identity

Slightly harsh interpretation of what OTB actually posted, which was merely to ask, as opposed to aggressively demand, although either way it's entirely your choice as to whether you co-operate or not.

Ask, demand what's the difference..............it's still a complete stranger turning up at my front door, at a time of their choosing & asking me who I am

The fact that anyone thinks that's acceptable behaviour I find astonishing. Just because someone may owe money doesn't mean they should be treat as if they have fewer rights than anyone else which is what you would be doing by acting towards them this way

Tell you what walk along any street, of your choosing, pick a house, any house knock on the door & when the occupant answers ask them, as politely as you wish, to identify themselves.

I suspect that after the occupants initial shock the visitor will be given very short shrift & either the police will be called or have the dogs set on them

I have told the local johova witness to go away and the ppl canvessing for the elections. Both tried to get smart with me and both got a good advertisement of CAG.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Someone could be as polite as they like, the fact remains that, if they want proof that the person they have targeted is the person they are after, there are other ways to find out. It is NOT up to the "suspect" to prove their own identity. Some people might be more than happy to say, Yeah OK mate. Hang on and I'll get my passport. Personally, I'd rather they DIDN'T come knocking in the first place. I know they are only trying to earn a living. But so are the eejits who phone me up to ask if I'd like to buy a new bathroom despite the fact I've signed up to stop cold callers pestering me. And they get a less than polite response in return too.

Hey, they know the risks. If they can't take a joke, they shouldn't have joined. :D

Quite!

How dare they turn up at my front door & demand I tell them who I am....Like you seahorse I would give very short shrift & order them off my property & they certainly would have to walk away..........none the wiser

OTB makes a very valuable contribution to this forum but isn't just a little disconcerting that even good guy like him thinks it's perfectly permissible to just turn up to someones door & demand their identity:eek:

I would NEVER demand anything off anyone. We live in a free world and we all make our own choices. When I did my home visit work I saw it as give and take, and would give all the information I had (name, previous address of debtor, debt amount outstanding and the OC), and then asked to confirm they were not the person I was looking for - 95% of the people not only gave me the confirmation required but would often furnish additional information including forwarding address or estate agents details.

Some of you may argue 'what about my rights under the data protection act, which doesn't allow you to share my information with a stranger', but, I'm sorry - if the debtor has done a runner then so be it, they left their 'privacy' at the front door when they left, and so I'm happy to share what I know FIRST before requesting information.

If someone knocked on my door and said 'I'm looking for Mr X who are you, I wouldn't be polite either to be honest.

I appreciate your perspective OTB but the law remains the law and if DCA's start riding roughshod over it by disclosing personal data to strangers then they deserve everything they get too. Even if someone does a runner the DCA needs to respect the law otherwise what's the point of the law. A friend asked for advise on giving forwarding addresses when she moved and my advice was simple. Tell those you accept money to you have moved, set up royal mail redirection and make your mind up as to whether to tell the rest as and when they fulfill their legal obligations re. CCAs etc. They'll find out your new address anyway but it's not your job to tell them.

I would NEVER demand anything off anyone. We live in a free world and we all make our own choices. When I did my home visit work I saw it as give and take, and would give all the information I had (name, previous address of debtor, debt amount outstanding and the OC), and then asked to confirm they were not the person I was looking for - 95% of the people not only gave me the confirmation required but would often furnish additional information including forwarding address or estate agents details.

Some of you may argue 'what about my rights under the data protection act, which doesn't allow you to share my information with a stranger', but, I'm sorry - if the debtor has done a runner then so be it, they left their 'privacy' at the front door when they left, and so I'm happy to share what I know FIRST before requesting information.

If someone knocked on my door and said 'I'm looking for Mr X who are you, I wouldn't be polite either to be honest.

I'm sorry OTB but what makes you think that a debtor moving on, for whatever reason, entitles you or anyone else to claim that by doing so they have forfeited any of their rights

I'm astonished that you also think it's lawful for you to discuss the private matters of another person with someone even before you know their true identity. You could be disclosing personal information to a complete stranger who has no connection with the alleged debtor.

If you did or do such a thing then you break the law pure & simple & frankly I'm amazed you aren't already aware of this

OTB as I have said you make a very valuable contribution to this forum. In fact it's greater than you think because your responses particularly about the 'rights' of consumers is much more enlightening than you think.

It speaks volumes as to the attitude of those charged with protecting debtors rights when the DCA's think they can have total disregard for the law - or worse still DCA's that don't even understand the law they are meant to work under because no one has bothered to educate them

Incidentally if an estate agent gives you a forwarding address of someone you trying to find let me know will you

• Haha 1

I appreciate your perspective OTB but the law remains the law and if DCA's start riding roughshod over it by disclosing personal data to strangers then they deserve everything they get too. Even if someone does a runner the DCA needs to respect the law otherwise what's the point of the law. A friend asked for advise on giving forwarding addresses when she moved and my advice was simple. Tell those you accept money to you have moved, set up royal mail redirection and make your mind up as to whether to tell the rest as and when they fulfill their legal obligations re. CCAs etc. They'll find out your new address anyway but it's not your job to tell them.

Just let you into a little secret: Royal Mail SELL your redirection information to these creeps. Someone tried to 'ID theft' me put a redirection order on my property. On my Credit file pops up this new address in Surrey as an 'associated address' How? I lost my Nectar card ( Sainsburys points card not a credit card) and applied for a new one they asked me if I wanted it sent to new address in Surrey "Where did you get that from" I asked. - " Royal Mail!!!," we are informed when these Redirections are applied for ' to save customers the trouble of having to inform everyone!!!! Oh YEAH???

Nothing, absolutely NOTHING is secret...

Sarah.

I think you will find that when a redirection request is made that person is asked if they want all future correspondents to be told of the new address & of course they do as it helps stop anything inadvertently arriving at your true address

It's an ID thief's charter

Re andrew1 at post 570.

When you redirect mail there is a little box for you to tick if you don't want them to automatically tell the sender. I did this and haven't had any problems.

Newborn

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

Re andrew1 at post 570.

When you redirect mail there is a little box for you to tick if you don't want them to automatically tell the sender. I did this and haven't had any problems.

Newborn

'The sender?' I think what you find is that like any mailing list, your details are sold on to all and sundry. They might not tell the sender, but that's not to say these tracing agents and dca's don't BUY the list. I guess one could check that out with Royal Mail if you can find the people who deal with it, but that was my understanding. Just like Registry Trust, the outfit 'not for profit' organisation which records all CCJ's from the courts across the country. They SELL all those details on to Sub-Prime Loan companies for Vast amounts ( and I mean VAST) amounts of money who then target those in financial difficulty.

Nothing's sacred anymore.:mad:

Thank you to all those that have sent PMs. I appreciate the comments.

If you asked a specific question I will answer here on this thread - I mean, if you need to know the answer I'm sure someone else does too!

Please understand (as Andrew1 has said on the other thread - Thanks Andy) I will explain how the 'cogs turn' at a DCA, and why DCAs do the things they do, I am happy to answer specific question in a unbiased independent way.

What I will not do however, is undertake in a debate on the moral issues surrounding DCAs, and I'm sorry but I just won't explain why 'those little runts keep hounding me'. If your angry and upset because a DCA is not 'acting reasonable' then tell me what you are hoping to get from them and I'll tell you how its possible, or why it is not.

Thought you were not going to get into a debate on morale issues?

The fact that you admitted thinking that anyone who changes adress without informing a creditor has no rights within the data protection act suggests otherwise!

After lunch (I need to earn a crust too you know ;) ) I will answer the question most have asked :

'why do DCA staff know so little about 'the law' and CCAs'

Hmmm and here was i starting to think OP was a good guy!!

I'm sorry OTB but what makes you think that a debtor moving on, for whatever reason, entitles you or anyone else to claim that by doing so they have forfeited any of their rights

I'm astonished that you also think it's lawful for you to discuss the private matters of another person with someone even before you know their true identity. You could be disclosing personal information to a complete stranger who has no connection with the alleged debtor.

If you did or do such a thing then you break the law pure & simple & frankly I'm amazed you aren't already aware of this

OTB as I have said you make a very valuable contribution to this forum. In fact it's greater than you think because your responses particularly about the 'rights' of consumers is much more enlightening than you think.

It speaks volumes as to the attitude of those charged with protecting debtors rights when the DCA's think they can have total disregard for the law - or worse still DCA's that don't even understand the law they are meant to work under because no one has bothered to educate them

Incidentally if an estate agent gives you a forwarding address of someone you trying to find let me know will you

I entirely agree. To share someone's data with a stranger simply because the alleged debtor has decided to move house is not a justification to break the law. This is yet more evidence how DCA's step outside the law when it suits them and yet use that same law when it suits them as well.