Parking on School Yellow Zigzag lines

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4906 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That is not true, traffic offences are just that....offences! The 1991 RTA gave Councils the powers to treat them as civil contraventions to free up the Courts but in general they are are still offences contary to Road Traffic Law.

So when S65 of the RTA 1991 says:

Contravention of certain orders relating to parking places in London not to be criminal offence

And S66 2© says:

(2) For the purposes of this Part of this Act, a penalty charge is payable with respect to a vehicle, by the owner of the vehicle, if—

© there has, with respect to the vehicle, been a contravention of, or failure to comply with, any provision made by or under any order relating to the designated parking place.

Why would you believe that "offences" remains the correct terminology?

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you believe that "offences" remains the correct terminology?

a) Not all parking is decriminalised

b) Yes a PCN can be issued when a contravention has taken place because under the 1991 act LAs can treat parking offences as civil contraventions.

c) Try parking on a DYL outside a Police Station and then explain to the boys in blue its not an offence!

I was just wondering why you have repeated a point that's been made several times already, and has/is widely accepted and supported.

I was responding to the posting immediately before; pointing out what I considered a fundamental flaw in the argument.

It just appeared that you were wasting the opportunity to add something new, but to repeat the message is fair enough, I suppose:rolleyes:

Yes the point had been made before but IMO it needed to be be made again.

If you want morality then you will know that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I'm not so cynical, perhaps you'd like to share your reasons for adding this line to your post. If you honestly beleive it to be true, then the question is, why did you bother posting on this thread? after all, your point had already been made several times by other (a little more succintly as well I might add).

If I've repeated myself or others or reflected the views of others what's your problem? Let me quote something back to you.

But thankfully, everyong has a right to their own opinion. God help us when that is no longer the case.

Part of living in a democracy, something we take for granted, but is something our parents and grandparents fought and died for for. A fact that must never be forgotten.

It's my opinion that the more voices in a debate, the more enlightened we can become

I do hope the thread does not degenerate into a slanging match, because that would just be a wasted opportunity. Please get involved, but do so sensibly.

So much for your opinion that the more the voices in a debate aiding enlightment. And so much for democracy and free speech. Am I reading to much into it or could I suggest that you are being somewhat hypocritical with that sort of post? Thats a rhetorical question BTW.

This will be my last post on this thread because I don't think I've got anything new to add to what I've already said and frankly I've had enough of the insults.

However I will clarify my statement as requested.

I was trying to suggest that if a council marked out zigzags intending to get a TRO and never actually got one then they were careless at best, downright negligent at best (if it was my local council I would be asking why my council tax is being wasted in this fashion). The moral of the story being the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

IMV it is just as immoral for councils to try and enforce non-contraventions as it is for someone to park on yellow zigzags during the proscribed hours set out in a TRO.

Ok so it might repeat or copy what others have said and they may have said it better. Imititation is the most sincere form of flattery. In my view it doesn't make it any less valid as an argument. Thats my opinion and if you don't like it tough. In any case, frankly, I don't give a flying fornication about succinctness or tautology only the opinion and my right to express it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest louis wu

Wow, bet you feel better for getting that off your chest:).

I'm grateful you re-inforced your views:rolleyes:, again;) .

People parking on Zigzags should be banned from driving to the schools or at least be banned from parking any where near the schools. Giving out a PCN is a waste of time because no doubt they will try and weedle their way out of it.

The zigzags are there for a reason whether placed there legally or not they are there to protect our children.

Evening Times: News

Accident Revives Schoolparking Fears (from thisisoxfordshire)

School run putting pupils' lives at risk - Northants ET

Zig-Zag Markings

Medway Council - FAQ Question detail

School run parking is blamed for crash - icWales

Just because the zig zag markings may not have the backing of aTRO it does not follow that you have not committed an offence. You have. The law requires you to use the public highway as to not cause a hazard to other road users......

• 2 weeks later...
Naslam, what was the time this PCN was issued? Was you picking up or dropping off your kids at the time?

Do you park on the zigzags (when the children are entering/exiting school) on a regular basis, or was this the first time you have ever done it?

If the PCN is cancelled, will you park on the zigzags again?

You do not of course have to answer these questions, but they would be interesting to know. I am sure there are school governers, head teachers, teachers, classroom assistants, parents, lollipop men/women etc pulling their hair out on a daily basis because of people parking on zigzags, and one less person doing it is a step in the right direction to eliminate it altogether.

I parked there around 08:54 and was back in car 08.59 also there is more than enough space in between barriers and my car for childrens and parents to enter school without causing obstruction.

No I don't park at zigzag, I have maybe parked couple times in my dropping and picking my children in last 5 years. I am one of those parents who go and wait outside the school 20 minutes early so can park.

I haven't park there since than and got no intention of doing, also PCN hasn't been cancled either.

• 1 year later...

I parked there around 08:54 and was back in car 08.59 also there is more than enough space in between barriers and my car for childrens and parents to enter school without causing obstruction.

No I don't park at zigzag, I have maybe parked couple times in my dropping and picking my children in last 5 years. I am one of those parents who go and wait outside the school 20 minutes early so can park.

I haven't park there since than and got no intention of doing, also PCN hasn't been cancled either.

As a teacher, responsible for the safety of 31 five and six year olds, it beggars belief to see how many parents put impatience over safety. In school we have to go to extreme lengths for sometimes lottery type risks, yet out side our school gate is a real risk.

One child is hurt on UK roads every 16 minutes. ( Welcome to Brake, the road safety charity)

Everyone who parks on those yellow zigzag lines has a 'reason' - or an excuse and are only able to do so as the majority of parents do care about all the children’s safety, not just their own.

The lines are there, so children and parents have a clear view of the road, before they choose to cross. They also provide a driver with a clear view of possible danger, VERY REAL danger.

Having to witness and deal with an appalling accident involving a young child who did not know better and a adult driver (who was in a rush to get to her children to their swimming lesson), it seems to me that sometimes it takes a horrific accident for people to think more carefully about the way they use their vehicles. My worry as I see new parents enter the school and the same parking problems starting all over again, how long till the next accident?

Why should it take an accident to make us wake up?

I am not even going to go into the powerful message parents send to their children when they themselves are ‘above’ the simplest of the school rules.

• 1 year later...

The zigzags are also there to help delivery drivers etc enter and exit the grounds.

It really never ceases to amaze me when you look around the internet at various forums, you will always find people who have speeding or parking tickets asking if there is a way out of paying - and there will always be a small clique of supporters.

My personal opinon is - drive within the law, drive courteously and everyone is happy. As soon as people start driving like idiots, it has a knock on effect.

I see idiot drivers almost on a daily basis, because of this I have installed a camera in my car and my works vehicle.

My car camera has already more than paid for itself as I was able to use the footage to prove non fault when some idiot cut in front of me & trashed his car. Without the camera it was my word against his, 50/50 and I would have had to pay my excess as well as a huge increase in premiums - the no claim discount is protected but the premiums go sky high.

I put all the minutae on youtube to name and shame the idiots.

Most of the examples aren't end of the world stuff but as more and more drivers get away with more and more, the roads will descend into chaos.

If I can drive courteously and within the law - I see no reason why others cannot do the same.

The zigzags are also there to help delivery drivers etc enter and exit the grounds.

It really never ceases to amaze me when you look around the internet at various forums, you will always find people who have speeding or parking tickets asking if there is a way out of paying - and there will always be a small clique of supporters.

My personal opinon is - drive within the law, drive courteously and everyone is happy. As soon as people start driving like idiots, it has a knock on effect.

I see idiot drivers almost on a daily basis, because of this I have installed a camera in my car and my works vehicle.

My car camera has already more than paid for itself as I was able to use the footage to prove non fault when some idiot cut in front of me & trashed his car. Without the camera it was my word against his, 50/50 and I would have had to pay my excess as well as a huge increase in premiums - the no claim discount is protected but the premiums go sky high.

I put all the minutae on youtube to name and shame the idiots.

Most of the examples aren't end of the world stuff but as more and more drivers get away with more and more, the roads will descend into chaos.

If I can drive courteously and within the law - I see no reason why others cannot do the same.

Are they? I didn't know that.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

obviously drivingmuppets knows some thing we dont, if thats the case then why hasnt every school got them at their enter/exit routes for vehicles. Zigzags are there for the safety of pedestrians not vehicles coming and going, and are placed where pupils enter and exit the school grounds, but I would love to be proved wrong.

hmmm...that could explain why there's one in front of fire station around me. I always thought these are actually marked as School keep clear signs and surprised to find outside fire station. Don't know what code it'll be if parked there.

hmmm...that could explain why there's one in front of fire station around me. I always thought these are actually marked as School keep clear signs and surprised to find outside fire station. Don't know what code it'll be if parked there.

School zig zags are installed to protect children leaving or entering the school it has nothing to do with vehicles entering or leaving, if that was a problem yellow lines would be used. Zig Zags outside fir stations are advisory and not enforceable by Councils.