• Tweets

• no need to use it. it doubles the size of the thread and makes it very diff to find replies on small screens too. just like @username it - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread already inc you ...gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.
    • Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
    • As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.View the full article
    • Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this? Every day is a school day.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sick Of Hearing About Bank Charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am so sick of hearing and reading about bank charges,

"the bank stole from me, the bank owes me, its my money..."

Why does the bank charge you? Because you use money that is not yours without their permission! Would you rather that they declined your card while a large cue of shoppers gather behind you, all whispering that guys/gals cards been declined.

Let’s play devils advocate, your car insurance is due and you have no cash in your account, the bank decided not to pay it so your insurer charges you a late fee. Is this unfair? Let’s also say that they decide to stop your cover, now your running around uninsured, your caught fined and your licence taken away. Fair? Whose fault is it?

Ok that last bit is a little far fetched but you get my point. In case you didn’t know the banks are having a test case in court about the legality of bank charges. If they loss they will start to charge us for the basics, £5/10 a month charge just to have the account open, 50p for each and every debit card payment, direct debit and standing order and so on. Would that be fair, yes it would as it all cost the bank money in administration work, but it would see an end to what we in the uk call free banking!

For you all that can not manage your finances maybe you would be better off with a basic account that dose not offer a debit card, overdraft and cheque book. Pay all your bills at the post office with a bank giro credit slip, oh wait there is a charge! Fair?

I have only had one bank charge in the last three years and it was not my fault, the company reasonable paid me the charge back and apologised. It’s called a direct debit guarantee. They were at fault, they foot the bill... Customer at fault, customer foots the bill. Sadly a lot of you can not seem to understand this or maybe you just seeing £ sign running around!

I for one do not want to have to start to pay for my bank account because a small number of people can not manager their money and pass blame on to the bank,

NO ONE FORCED YOU TO OVER SPEND!

Oh and by the way, banks can and will close your account for continuing to complain about charges and also continuing to go over drawn, its called misuse!

Curr946

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i must admit, I find it hard to understand your post. the arguments the bank have are that late payments, over limit charges etc are all service charges. That is, that you have entered into a contract that allows you, entirely legitimatly, (for example) not to pay on time in exchange for a fee.

If the banks are right, then I don't see this behaviour as in any way a breach of the customers contractual obligations to the bank.

If, however, as you suggest the customer has breached their obligations to the bank then there is substantial common law that any damages for that breach should be for costs actually incurred, OR for an estimate of liquidated damages which is itself a reasonable estimate of costs likely to be incurred.

Banks are not entitled to fine you for breach of contract.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

i must admit, I find it hard to understand your post. the arguments the bank have are that late payments, over limit charges etc are all service charges. That is, that you have entered into a contract that allows you, entirely legitimatly, (for example) not to pay on time in exchange for a fee.

If the banks are right, then I don't see this behaviour as in any way a breach of the customers contractual obligations to the bank.

If, however, as you suggest the customer has breached their obligations to the bank then there is substantial common law that any damages for that breach should be for costs actually incurred, OR for an estimate of liquidated damages which is itself a reasonable estimate of costs likely to be incurred.

Banks are not entitled to fine you for breach of contract.

Yes but their is no doubt that the banks profit from this "fee" and is clearly printed in the terms and conditions when you apply and i for one do not want to pay a "fee" because this line of "profit" was ended.

Oh, so what you are basically saying is that the poorest people in society should finance free banking for the richest?

And that you don't want to pay the actual costs of your account you just want someone almost inevitably poorer that you are to foot the bill?

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

clearly printed in the terms and conditions when you apply

You appear rather to be missing the point.

I don't believe anybody here takes the view that account misuse shouldn't go completely unpunished, nor that some charge should not be levied to cover any administrative process the banks may have as a result of your debt.

However, what people take issue with is that the amount of the charge is disproportionately high to the resultant administrative costs. Since this size is unjustifiable under contract law - a fact proven many times over - its application is an illegal one. If this were not the case, people would not be successfully reclaiming their charges.

Let's be quite clear; these large fees are not levied to punish the account holder, but to enrich the bank.

Oh, so what you are basically saying is that the poorest people in society should finance free banking for the richest?

And that you don't want to pay the actual costs of your account you just want someone almost inevitably poorer that you are to foot the bill?

no the "poorer" people should run their accounts accordingly and budget within their means.

What i am saying is those who wist to spead like it grows on tree on you go but explect to pay the price for it.

You appear rather to be missing the point.

I don't believe anybody here takes the view that account misuse shouldn't go completely unpunished, nor that some charge should not be levied to cover any administrative process the banks may have as a result of your debt.

However, what people take issue with is that the amount of the charge is disproportionately high to the resultant administrative costs. Since this size is unjustifiable under contract law - a fact proven many times over - its application is an illegal one. If this were not the case, people would not be successfully reclaiming their charges.

Let's be quite clear; these large fees are not levied to punish the account holder, but to enrich the bank.

well that i agree with, however if the said people were to run their accounts within the t&c they would not have been charged.

and they can not say that they were not aware of what those chrages where

Curr, if you can't negotiate something, the fact it is clearly written down does not really make much of a difference.

For example, can you tell me a single UK bank where there isn't an overlimit fee? Or even any account where that fee is around £2.50 (which it has been shown is the most this behaviour actually costs the bank).

well banks are starting to bring down the costs but they are still around 15 per payment.

lets just do a quick calculation, lets say an average person has 7 month direct debit and use a debit card at least twice per day and lets say the banks charge £5 a month for the account that's £36.50 a month... per person...

0.50 per direct debit and card payment

it adds up.. i would much rather pay the odd fee than this, not that it would be that expensive but people would really have to watch what they were using there card for even when it was their own money they were spending..

While I appreciate your mathematics, in Ireland where excess bank charges for overlimit etc are illegal, free banking does not exist. If you look at the actual charges of, say, the Bank of ireland they amount of 28 c a transaction (about 12 p) or 11.40 (about £5.20) euro per month for 90 transactions. there are exceptions, for example where you keep a positive balance in your account of 500 euros.

However, in ireland, you do not have the poorest people in society being driven into destitution - to the point of deciding whether to feed their children OR pay their bank charges.

Which is why, personally, I support the irish model, where people pay reasonable amounts for what they use instead of exhorbitant amounts of money when they are least able to afford it.

yes, i see what you are saying but here in the uk we offer basic accounts, they are designed for people on low incomes or on benefits, and i must say, seeing as you brought it up.. those low income family's really need to get their priorities right. if i only had 100 in the bank to do me a month and i certainly would not have a car at a cost of 30 a month insurance and Internet at a cost of 20 a month and so on..

basic bank accounts are their for a reason.

i would also say that if you have a bill due call the bank and ask them for a temporary increases on the over draft. 9/10 you'll get it, income permitting

I think the expression 'Don't feed the troll' applies here.

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think the expression 'Don't feed the troll' applies here.

excuse my ignorance here but what exactly qualifies me as a troll, i would say that the term is used loosely when someone can not defend their position :roll:

if you are unable to defend your position just say so..

yes, i see what you are saying but here in the uk we offer basic accounts, they are designed for people on low incomes or on benefits, and i must say, seeing as you brought it up.. those low income family's really need to get their priorities right. if i only had 100 in the bank to do me a month and i certainly would not have a car at a cost of 30 a month insurance and Internet at a cost of 20 a month and so on..

basic bank accounts are their for a reason.

i would also say that if you have a bill due call the bank and ask them for a temporary increases on the over draft. 9/10 you'll get it, income permitting

Curr946................the whole premise of your argument is flawed............you are assuming,wrongly, that it's account misuse/the poorest in society etc that these charges affect This is far too simplistic an argument, when in actual fact, it's unexpected changes in circumstances that causes much of the dificulties for many people...........illness/bereavement/redundancydivorce etc........and it's absolutely impossible to plan for these events.

So, it's rarely frivolous overspending or mismanagement that causes the problems............it's often just events, and to judge from your posts, you've little or no experience of such happenings.

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

For information:

I asked Curr to post here as he was hijacking someone's thread. He did so and apologised to the user. I assured him he would get plenty of responses if he posted in here, so let's do this. No insults, no swearing, there is plenty of scope for debate and - maybe - educating.

If anything, you can always use this thread to hone your arguments for when you get in front of the judge. ;-)

Plain insults or goading will get moderated, from either side. :-)

To be fair, charleyfarley, the fact that these charges have a disproportionate effect on the poorest people of society was my argument, not really Curr946's.

I wouldn't say you've been trolling - it's an honest question.

The answers are, of course, in the stickies and announcements and in the rules section of the site.

We understand WHY the banks charge - although you do say that it's because we've spent money that isn't ours. This argument falls flat when you consider that they charge more for NOT paying a direct debit than they do for paying it - i.e. spending money that we haven't got.

With rising costs throughout the country directly affecting the cost of living, pretty much every normal citizen in the UK is spending money they haven't got - this site has been up for more than 2 years - in those 2 years I have heard horror stories from people - one where a disabled woman and her two kids had to eat dry breakfast cereal for a fortnight (one pack of Tesco's own cornflakes) because her disability benefit had been paid late, meaning her DD for her rent, gas and electricity were paid late. The bank took more in charges over this than was actually due in the account. Yes, I suppose she did spend more than she had, and I suppose she didn't really have to splash out on breakfast cereal.

If you breach the contract then the bank will charge you - fair enough - what they are not allowed to do for a breach of contract is make a profit - it's simple contract law 101.

Banks have been making profits unlawfully - someone caught them out, and now they claim that they will have to make up the 'shortfall' (Lloyds TSB - the smaller out of the top 5 posted projected profits of over 11 billion today - they won't be losing out anytime soon if they are forced to act within the law).

You say, in a roundabout sort of way, that if you were on a low income (100 quid) then you wouldn't spend 30 on a car etc... and that they need to get their priorities right.

Well, if I were on a low income, I doubt I would be living somewhere where there is a decent and affordable public transport system. In fact, if I had to catch a bus from where I live to get to work, the earliest would get me into work 1 hour and 15 minutes late every day. I can't see me keeping my job for long if didn't have a car. Incidentally, it's STILL cheaper to have the car that it would be to catch that bus to work and back each week.

My first bank charges occurred because my employer paid me late - I initially went to my employer for reimbursement - ....and was promptly told that they don't pay penalties. This is what initially started me thinking - my employer was under no obligation to pay an unlawful penalty any more than I was.

Now, if Abbey had been reasonable and realised that I didn't create the situation and had refunded me the money they had taken when I asked, perhaps this mass of publicity wouldn't have occured and instead of it costing them millions it would only have cost them 120 quid. Greed is what caused this - THEIR greed.

Each of the top 5 banks in the UK routinely post profits in excess of 10 billion - a good chunk of that coming from people who can least afford it - and they know it, they also know that they are the people least likely to be able to do anything about it, and so the spiral continues.

Just because something is written into a contract doesn't make it legal.

If I were to have a contract with you, and it was written that if you breached it, I could slap you in the face, and I did so - I could still be arrested for common assault.

People, like yourself, often say "be responsible for your own actions" - well, aside from the fact that a lot of the time these charges are a result of someone elses actions (i.e. not being paid on time, businesses taking the wrong amounts via DD (and, yes - it happens, and you try and enforce the DD guarantee and see how easy that is! NOT!)) - I think the same could be said of the banks - they are kicking up because they've been caught with their pants around their ankles for once, and instead of putting their hands up they actually have the gaul to attempt to gain public sympathies with lies like "if we lose this case, we'll have to start charging for accounts" - when their lawyers know, I'm sure, that this wouldn't be legal any longer either. It's called deflection.

Imagine if NR had taken responsibility for it's own actions - we'd all have a 1000 quid a year less tax liability.

It works both ways. In law, if I break the contract I am legally bound to reimburse any costs incured by the other party because of that breach - I am happy to do that. I am not happy to condone the breaking of the law by making them a profit for a breach - to do so, IMO, would be aiding and abetting something I know to be unlawful.

• Haha 1

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Which is why, personally, I support the irish model, where people pay reasonable amounts for what they use instead of exhorbitant amounts of money when they are least able to afford it.

Absolutely in agreement.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Curr946

1)I am in my bank, talking to the cashier, who checks my balance says I have sufficient funds in my account to withdraw the cash amount requested...

Several days later- no other transactions or cheques or direct debits and I receive letter saying overdrawn and to recieve charges!

2) Started direct debit with media company, direct debit taken not on the agreed date of between 1st and 3rd of month but debited on 13th of month instead... Resulted in overdrawn account and to recieve charges (bank states until end of test case can not be dealt with!)

3) Motgage payment left my account on a Monday, did not arrive with mortgage company for 3 days, neither bank nor mortgage company knows where money went but I recieved charges for late payment!

4) Using debit card in shop and payment authorised, following night checked my account had money in account, withdrew some and then discovered debit payment authorised didnt actually get taken from account there and then, end result overdrawn with charges!

If you feel that I am negligent so be it, but I put it to you, that the 4 examples above are all true statements and demonstrate that the banks purposely have set practises that make customers go overdrawn!

Finally, when I opened my account the terms and conditions have evolved into a charter of theft on a large scale!

In conclusion, when the banks during the late nineties bought out the building societies, they paid hundreds of millions, in order to recoup the payments they decided to UP anything in costs they could which resulted in us the customers effectively paying for their growth!

If you feel we are irresponsible I say you are naieve!

Sorry to hi-jack but can someone explain this please?

Hi GlasweJen,

The attachments that you added in the following post have been un-approved

-----

*contents of post in here*

-----

This is an automated message, please do not reply.

Regards,

The Forum Management

I definately didn't attach anything to the message I sent, if there was an attachment can someone tell me what it was so that I can make sure I've not got a virus.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

Curr - out of interest, I see your occupation is Customer Services. Is this with a bank or building society? If so, your input could be valuable and could help in an intelligent discussion and thoughts about bank charges. I have no intention of being antagonistic!

i do but i only deal with savings, i do not claim to know 100% of the banking system. PM me and i will try my best to help you out / ask colleges at work for there take.

one where a disabled woman and her two kids had to eat dry breakfast cereal for a fortnight (one pack of Tesco's own cornflakes) because her disability benefit had been paid late' date=' meaning her DD for her rent, gas and electricity were paid late. The bank took more in charges over this than was actually due in the account [/quote']

in this case the dss are to blame and should foot the bill, this woman should have called for a crisis loan from the dss until she had been paid out. however in this case if lady had called the bank and explained they would have reduced the charges or delayed them until she was back on her feet, they may even have considered an overdraft. this is a very sad case and you can not help but sympathise in this lady's circumstances.

as for the rest of your post i am now starting to see that you have a very valid point however, being paid late, wrong amounts and stuff resulting in charges should be paid back from the third party that caused it. Your employer? Organisation that requested the wrong amount. Maybe its time to put some effort into making them liable under the direct debit guarantee?

Curr946

1)I am in my bank, talking to the cashier, who checks my balance says I have sufficient funds in my account to withdraw the cash amount requested...

Several days later- no other transactions or cheques or direct debits and I receive letter saying overdrawn and to recieve charges!

2) Started direct debit with media company, direct debit taken not on the agreed date of between 1st and 3rd of month but debited on 13th of month instead... Resulted in overdrawn account and to recieve charges (bank states until end of test case can not be dealt with!)

3) Motgage payment left my account on a Monday, did not arrive with mortgage company for 3 days, neither bank nor mortgage company knows where money went but I recieved charges for late payment!

4) Using debit card in shop and payment authorised, following night checked my account had money in account, withdrew some and then discovered debit payment authorised didnt actually get taken from account there and then, end result overdrawn with charges!

1) this is the banks error and you should get this charge back, this is a valid complaint as the cashier should see whats pending on the account, excluding direct debit payments and checks, but you should.

2) this is the media company's fault, complain to them and sen them proof of the charge.

3) it went through the bacs system, you would have been advised on the time it takes to arrive, if you didn't make allowances its your fault.

4) you should keep tabs on your account and what you are spending, if this is a regular occurences then ask your back on a visa electron card rather than delta (debit as now known) as this type of card is debited instantly rather than being treated as a form of credit as the backs make a promise to pay the retailer as at the time of the transaction there was cash in the account.

see these links.

debit: Visa Debit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

electron: Visa Electron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Come on-you have got to know the ins & outs. Curr-not everyone on here are trying to avoid legitimate debt. CAG does not support this. All we are trying to say is that sometimes the banks are wrong to charge as much as they do for straying into the red. Not everyone has access to on-line banking & even the best of us are sometimes caught out. You are obviously perfect-very rare breed indeed:p