• Tweets

• Thanks @lolerzthat's an extremely helpful post. There is no mention of a permit scheme in the lease and likewise, no variation was made to bring this system in. I recall seeing something like a quiet enjoyment clause, but will need to re-read it and confirm. VERY interesting point on the 1987 Act. There hasn't been an AGM in years and I've tried to get one to start to no avail. However, I'll aim to find out more about how the PPC was brought in and revert. Can I test with you and others on the logic of not parking for a few months? I'm ready to fight OPS, so if they go nuclear on me then surely it doesn't matter? I assume that I will keep getting PCNs as long as I live here, so it doesn't make sense for me to change the way that I park?  Unless... You are suggesting that having 5 or so outstanding PCNs, will negatively affect any court case e.g. through bad optics? Or are we trying to force their hand to go to court with only 2 outstanding PCNs?
    • That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
    • @Whyisitthisthank you very much for asking. I am still feeling anxious, especially when someone rings the doorbell, or when I receive a letter I feel a it paranoid. I stopped going to the shops unless I really have to. I shop online now. When I see security I feel paralised. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5846 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You'll have been given more than enough time to pay the fine and by the looks of it, ignored a Court summons to answer the charge in the first place. What sort of person ignores a Court summons? Oh yes, a person on benefits with three kids, you're excused. ;)

Mr Mckenna

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wouldnt call that enough time from start to finish, it dosent matter how long I was given if I didnt have the money in the first place!

28-02-2008 Court Date

05-03-2008 Letter informing me of court fine

27-03-2008 Letter from bailiffs, which I replied to with 4 cheques the same day which took them more than 10 days to reply to (wonder why)

07/04/2008 Reply from bailiffs refusing cheques

14/04/2008 Recieved a removal of goods notice through the door

You seem to do a lot of assuming about people,

I did attend court, and I may be a single parents but I work and always have done.

If I do get excused, It will be thanks to you for winding me up with your advice

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The debt collecting industry will always expound the myth of the feckless debtor. The will make some concession that they ARE those who can't pay through no fault of their own but they will always claim they are only a tiny minority of debtors most are just wastrels...it suits their purpose

However things they are a changing as now more & more of the hard working & assumed responsible, classes find themselves being made redundant attitudes will begin to change

When the banks go ahead with their threatened repossessions thereby laying waste to whole communities, as the have in America, people, including hopefully the politicians will begin to realise that it's not the debtors fault & that the DCA's are only there to trade off the misery of others thereby achieving nothing of lasting worth but lining their own pockets

Sorry, but the subject of this thread is bull of the highest order.

I have spoken to my sister, who is high up in the civillian side of the police and whose husband is a DCI, and she has advised me it would be the police who would go knocking, not a bailiff, in the case of someone not signing the sex offenders register. Under the terms of the Sex Offenders Act 1997, failure to sign is an offence which carries a term of imprisonment.

Furthermore, if the offender was known to carry an offensive weapon, he would be arrested for that (if evidence was available) or at least the police involved would be informed and the appropriate officers with the appropriate equipment would be deployed.

If you are going to bend the truth, at least make it believable.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

A bailiff would not be sent round to collect a fine in this manner - I ahve that on good authority - it is considered too serious an offence.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Quite thats why I made the suggestion about asking the police to accompany him which is what any bailiffs would do

I also found it odd that the police were not arresting this guy rather then sending a bailiff to visit a known offender who it was known carried an offensive weapon

Surely carrying such a weapon would have contravened any licence & at the very least if caught with a weapon would have removed a peodo from the streets

On the info I have given from the posts (and I have doubled checked with my sister and brother-in-law) if this situation had happened, the police would certainly have accompanied a bailiff (if, indeed, one was even used) and would immediately arrest for non-payment of fine.

If this has not happened (which, is inconceivable in the force they work for, but I am prepared to concede anything is possible) the bailiff should complain to the court that they are endangering him and ask for police assistance.

Anyway the measure of a person is can they take criticism without wanting to take away their ball & here it appears not

If you really want to help people you take it on the chin & get on trying to help....................you certainly don't run away when there are no personal remarks like, your an ijeet, involved

I have a question for you John, what your take on people that pay direct to Council or debtor in full therefore making sure they not paying bailiffs direct, Some in your field call it illegal and some making some very crazy threats yet been unable to carry them out when invited to pay a visit, also what your take and view on backdating letters of removal notices and claims of visits that never took place to try claiming fees.

I have 1 question John.

How do you know when a debtor can pay..........but won't :confused:

Experience JonCris. There are many factors i have to take into account but the level of goods a debtor does or doesn't have is usually a good starting point. Needless to say, if a debtor has no carpets and hangs sheets up for curtains, the likelyhood is they're a "can't payer".

Drop the attitude you have and the cockiness when replying to threads and help those who genuinely need the help, you may find that people wont be so rude back.

I'm sure you'll find a complete lack of "attitude" in my posting history if you looked further back than the last week. Unfortunately, regardless of how helpful I may or may not be, some folk will always be rude because of what I represent. That's fine though, as I've said in the past, I deal with unwarranted abuse on a daily basis so the remarks of a few internet trolls acts as nothing more than a tickling stick and probably encourages me to post more. :grin:

A bailiff would not be sent round to collect a fine in this manner - I ahve that on good authority - it is considered too serious an offence.

In an ideal world your "good authority" might be right but I can assure that bailiffs are sent round to collect fines from sex offenders by the Courts. Just to clarify once more, the person in question has already been fined. For all I know, they might have been sent to prison for failing to sign the register. Knowing the Court system though, they probably just got a slapped wrist and a fine.

Anyway the measure of a person is can they take criticism without wanting to take away their ball & here it appears not

If you really want to help people you take it on the chin & get on trying to help....................you certainly don't run away when there are no personal remarks like, your an ijeet, involved

Sometimes I simply don't have the time to respond to every comment on every forum I frequent. Thanks for reminding me to subscribe.

I have a question for you John, what your take on people that pay direct to Council or debtor in full therefore making sure they not paying bailiffs direct, Some in your field call it illegal and some making some very crazy threats yet been unable to carry them out when invited to pay a visit, also what your take and view on backdating letters of removal notices and claims of visits that never took place to try claiming fees.

On your first point, I'd feel a little silly making idol threats in an attempt to collect fees when the debt has already been settled.

On your second point, the company I work for use hand held GPS systems so they have proof of the times of visits made. Without this type of system in place the system is wide open to abuse. Having said that, even with the GPS's in place, people still cry foul that the bailiff didn't leave a letter so we can't win either way.

Certificated Bailiff

But with the GPS it can only prove that you were in that area, not that you actually did anything, unless you have some sort of satalite camera attached lol

any way thanks for the answers, have you changed your views on debtors since frequenting the forums, as I know that a lot of bailiffs look at debotors as these little people who just cant be ar*ed to pay thier debts.. can you understand why people dont like bailiffs when most break the law.

Have you read some of the threads where the OP's have been assaulted, me included and what is you view on your fellow bailiffs who do this, by the way I won my case and the bailiff was lucky he didnt lose his job.

so we can't win either way.

And long may that continue, with the fight back gathering momentum, and the utter despise now being portrayed by more than just this "troll", I so hope one day you knock on MY door..

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

John so you claim that only debtors with shabby homes can't pay whilst those that have decent homes with a few of life's luxuries (flat screen TV HiFi car etc) won't pay.

You claim you know this how...............through experience! rubbish.......Most debtors find themselves in their situation not because they have overspent on luxury items but because of illness, redundancy, divorce which has occured long after the purchase of luxury goods...............how do I know................because I deal with debtors almost everyday.

Once again the debt collectors mind is exposed as one that thinks that most debtors are just feckless wasters...........I look forward to the day when a few more debt collectors find themselves on their uppers so they can experience the effect their conduct & attitude has on other debtors

With CAG on the case, hopefully that won't be long - many of them are reporting drop in profits already.

Agreed with JonCris's last comment. There is no definite way of knowing how rich/poor someone is by looking at their possessions. But a bailiff doesn't care or take into consideration if someone has been made broke due to illness or redundancy or other factors out of their control. I bet they just find it more enjoyable to ruin their lives further.

The replies given to the questions about bailiffs only give more justification to the widespread dislike of them. It is very sad to see this attitude but also not surprising, and no wonder they are some of the most unpopular people in our society.

Most people who haven't paid their debts have not done so because they are UNABLE to! They are not helped by the excessive and brutal charges that are laid out to them! It is sad to see that you have such a negative view of people and their honesty. There will always be the 'bad' people out there who are dishonest and deliberately avoid paying debts that they can afford, but this is a small minority.

A friend of mine recently had his car stolen by bailiffs. He had recently bought the car but it takes 6 weeks for the details to be registered with the DVLA. A couple of days after buying the car, bailiffs came and took the car away, stating unpaid fines by the previous owner. Bailiffs can obviously only take away items that belong to the debtor, not to anyone else, and the car now belonged to my friend. Hopefully these bailiffs will be convicted and go to prison as common car thieves.

have you changed your views on debtors since frequenting the forums, as I know that a lot of bailiffs look at debotors as these little people who just cant be ar*ed to pay thier debts. can you understand why people dont like bailiffs when most break the law.

I haven't changed my views on debtors since frequenting this forum no. Unfortunately, many of the debtors "I" come across ARE feckless layabouts who can't be ar*ed to pay their court fines (a large majority of my workload is Magistrates fines). As such I probably do have a "bailiff's view" in most folks opinions but that doesn't stop me from being able to evaluate someone's circumstances to a certain extent.

If I let every defendant have their own way they'd all want to pay £2 a week from their benefits/earnings. This view is based on MY experience and certainly doesn't encompass all debtors. Let's face it, your average layabout I deal with from day to pay won't be coming on here to ask for advice. They simply don't give a damn how many fines they've got or how much they owe the Courts. When all their goods are rented and they know the bailiffs can't touch them, there's no incentive to clear their debts. Hell, if a Court warrant officer pays them a visit and bails them to appear in Court and they don't show you'd think they'd get banged up immediately. Oh no, another £25 fine for bail jumping is issued. It's quite pathetic really. But I digress.....

can you understand why people dont like bailiffs when most break the law.

Granted there are many who do overstep the line but to say "most break the law" is a massive sweeping statement and completely unsupported by fact. From your experience though, I understand your dislike and distrust of bailiffs.

Have you read some of the threads where the OP's have been assaulted, me included and what is you view on your fellow bailiffs who do this, by the way I won my case and the bailiff was lucky he didnt lose his job.

I read your thread with interest. You were too lenient on him in Court. He should have lost his job without question. There's no excuse for violence from either bailiffs or debtors.

John so you claim that only debtors with shabby homes can't pay whilst those that have decent homes with a few of life's luxuries (flat screen TV HiFi car etc) won't pay.

You claim you know this how...............through experience! rubbish.......Most debtors find themselves in their situation not because they have overspent on luxury items but because of illness, redundancy, divorce which has occurred long after the purchase of luxury goods...............how do I know................because I deal with debtors almost everyday.

Once again the debt collectors mind is exposed as one that thinks that most debtors are just feckless wasters...........

Your experience is derived from debtors who "DO" try and sort their debts out by the sound of it. That's fine but MY experience on the street dealing with Court fines is a world away from yours. The debtors I generally deal with are in debt because of their own illegal actions. Illness, redundancy and divorce rarely feature in MY debt collection so we'll have have to understand each other's view point on this. If you can't appreciate my experience then your own view is as narrow minded as you accuse mine of being.

Certificated Bailiff

Unfortunately, i believe we have to accept john mckenna's views on some of the people he deals with - I'm sure we all know (or know of) people like this and is a fact of life that a bit of over-generalisation on both sides has happened on this thread.

Perhaps, JM, if there was better training for, and screening of, bailiffs they would appreciate the difference as you do and would be prepared to treat those who are in genuine distress/genuinely unable to afford their bills better.

until that happy, sunny day occurs, i think you'll find the general perception on this forum is that most bailiffs are bullies.

I'd like to add a bit here, we all know there are people out there that will "milk the system" anyone growing up on a council estate will vouch for that but what gets my back up is, I was bought up on a council estate by people that taught me that you can expect a fair days pay for a fair days work.........so how can a bailiff, that chooses to use a van for work, charge 105.00 per visit when he/she knows she is going to be calling on 8/10 people that day?

I haven't changed my views on debtors since frequenting this forum no. Unfortunately, many of the debtors "I" come across ARE feckless layabouts who can't be ar*ed to pay their court fines (a large majority of my workload is Magistrates fines). As such I probably do have a "bailiff's view" in most folks opinions but that doesn't stop me from being able to evaluate someone's circumstances to a certain extent.

If I let every defendant have their own way they'd all want to pay £2 a week from their benefits/earnings. This view is based on MY experience and certainly doesn't encompass all debtors. Let's face it, your average layabout I deal with from day to pay won't be coming on here to ask for advice. They simply don't give a damn how many fines they've got or how much they owe the Courts. When all their goods are rented and they know the bailiffs can't touch them, there's no incentive to clear their debts. Hell, if a Court warrant officer pays them a visit and bails them to appear in Court and they don't show you'd think they'd get banged up immediately. Oh no, another £25 fine for bail jumping is issued. It's quite pathetic really. But I digress.....

Granted there are many who do overstep the line but to say "most break the law" is a massive sweeping statement and completely unsupported by fact. From your experience though, I understand your dislike and distrust of bailiffs.

I read your thread with interest. You were too lenient on him in Court. He should have lost his job without question. There's no excuse for violence from either bailiffs or debtors.

Your experience is derived from debtors who "DO" try and sort their debts out by the sound of it. That's fine but MY experience on the street dealing with Court fines is a world away from yours. The debtors I generally deal with are in debt because of their own illegal actions. Illness, redundancy and divorce rarely feature in MY debt collection so we'll have have to understand each other's view point on this. If you can't appreciate my experience then your own view is as narrow minded as you accuse mine of being.

John I understand precisely where your coming from You are used to dealing with in the main people who committed a criminal offence & are ignoring the consequences.

But what you need to recognise that even the 'criminal' may no longer be the 'criminal' your used to dealing with.

Today's criminal may be someone who didn't close their bin lid to the satisfaction of the local council. Or someone who has dropped an apple core.

I won't go on as the list is endless thanks to the government introducing thousands of new offences some of which include what you might think never mind what you might do

My point is that you & your colleagues have to realise that more & more of the 'criminals' you deal with may not in fact be criminals in the true sense of the word. Just some ordinary citizen who's fallen foul of the local Stazi & they can't in all honesty be treat in the same way by you

I was bought up on a council estate by people that taught me that you can expect a fair days pay for a fair days work.........so how can a bailiff, that chooses to use a van for work, charge 105.00 per visit when he/she knows she is going to be calling on 8/10 people that day?

On an average day from those 8/10 visits, 5 will have moved, 3 will have no money/nill effects and two might pay. Of the 105 visit fee the bailiff himself might receive between say £30-40% if self employed or less if employed. Suddenly that 105 per visit doesn't seem so much.....

Certificated Bailiff