Housing Benefit overpayment

Ellie05
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I need help and advice after finding I have been overpaidlink3.gif housing benefit £22kk!

My husband of 22yrs left me & started divorcelink3.gif after 3 wks same time dad was terminally ill with cancer

& passed away after another 4 wks(worse time ever).

Also found out I was anaemic (levels a 1/3 of normal)also on extra sedatives for panic attacks and anxiety.

Got letter about hsing overpaymentlink3.gif, appealed and lost.

Council admitted clerical error,

judges comments were "no particular skills required to notice this mistake that stood out like a sore thumb!"

Also on notes he said that council must be wary of overestimating what might be reasonable to expect of 1st time claimant. Is this conflicting?

I only learnt shortly b4 appeal I should of been paid the rent I pay,

so I didn't raise this at appeal but regret it now.

i did say though had I known of error I would of acted,

but judge made no note of this.

I know this May sound obvious but they input my monthly amount as wkly.

I also failed to notify of annual rent increases(shared ownership home) but they also failed in responsibility to award correct amount.

Felt like I was on trial with no representative to help & beating myself up not preparing more.

Now I want to know how and if I have a case to take this to upper tribunal or anyone else

(mp was useless, tried appeal to UT & refused,no explanation)

as I don't think they even had a dr understand the stress & effects of anaemia.

would u believe rep said after appeal this mistake easily happens!

It's been 7 months now and I'm still depressed and hacked off I'm in debt all because I had to claim HB.

Been signed off work by atos for depression etc. Sorry if long & thanks for reading

Go see a welfare rights agency to see if you have a case - it would depend on the statement of reasons you received from the judge and whether an error of law was made.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Go see a welfare rights agency to see if you have a case - it would depend on the statement of reasons you received from the judge and whether an error of law was made.

Thankyou for your reply,I have tried a law firm and didn't find anything unlawful,can u tell me if the judges comments seem to contradict themself

Thankyou for your reply,I have tried a law firm and didn't find anything unlawful,can u tell me if the judges comments seem to contradict themself

Without seeing the arguments of the council, it's hard to tell if it's contradictory or not.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Hi,

Why the overpayment & on what grounds are you appealing?

On the grounds that this was a clerical error that I could not have reasonably of known about. They admit that the mistake was caused by inputting monthly amount as weekly.

the judge's comments do not appear contradictory in themselves

basically the judge is stating that the mistake the Council made was so obvious that you could reasonably have been aware that there was an overpayment, and therefore the overpayment is recoverable from you

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

the judge's comments do not appear contradictory in themselves

basically the judge is stating that the mistake the Council made was so obvious that you could reasonably have been aware that there was an overpayment, and therefore the overpayment is recoverable from you

Agree but just want to clarify. Was the Housing Benefit paid directly to you or directly to your landlord?

Hi Ellie. So sorry to hear of the awful time you've been having. I don't know if I can help much but a few questions spring to mind and if you would answer them it might help us all try and sort this.

1. How long were you overpaid?

2. Was the whole overpayment after your ex-husband left?

3. Does your ex still have any share in the property?

4. Have you now notified HB of the increase(s) in rent and all other changes in circumstances during the relevant period?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

you cannot appeal to the Upper Tribunal just because you disagree with the FtT judge's decision

you can only appeal on points of law, for example, if the FtT failed to apply the law correctly

the law in relation to recoverability of HB overpayments is very harsh, the starting point is that all HB overpayments are recoverable

however the exception is that if the following 3 conditions are all met, the overpayment is not recoverable

1) the overpayment was caused by a error made by Council/DWP/HMRC

2) you or the person receiving payments (or anyone acting on your behalf) have not contributed to the error

3) you or the person receiving payments (or anyone acting on your behalf) could not have reasonably been aware that there was an overpayment

from the limited information you have provided, it sounds like you met the first 2 conditions, but the judge has decided you not not meet the 3rd as the error was so obvious

without knowing all the ins and outs of the case, it is difficulty to tell whether you have any grounds to appeal to the Upper Tribunal

as others have suggested, you should consider seeking professional advice from an experienced Welfare Benefits adviser

how long ago was your appeal heard?

how long ago did your receive the Statement of Reasons?

have you asked the FtT judge for leave to appeal?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Perhaps others could advise whether increases in rent which the OP also failed to advise HB about or mention in her appeal. I realise it probably wouldn't make a massive difference to the amount owed but could it be additional evidence that could justify a further appeal?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

caro

it would really depend upon the grounds of the appeal and the outcome decision

the judge is unlikely to be under an obligation to consider an issue that has not been raised by either party - this is unlikely to constitute an error of law

if the appeal and decision only covered recoverability and not the amount - there may be a possibility to consider underlying entitlement (assuming this has not already been applied)

if the appeal and decision covered the amount as well as recoverability issue, then the OP may be too late for underlying entitlement

Thanks for that id. :)

On the grounds that this was a clerical error that I could not have reasonably of known about. They admit that the mistake was caused by inputting monthly amount as weekly.

So were you being paid full rent? Ie was the HB you were getting more than your actual rent?

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.