Housing

lala1984
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all

This may be a long post so please bare with me.

3 years ago I went to my local council to ask for help with housing. They put me on the rent deposit scheme. I tried every estate agent within 5 miles of me but no one would accept it. Tried gumtree etc.

Now I have been on ESA due to severe depression and at that time I got so low I took a overdose and ended up in hospital (recently also diognosed with OCD, paranoia, anxiety and BDD hence I can not go into shared accom). Upon leaving the hospital after my suicide attempt I called the council yet again and spoke to a manager. I explained what had happened and her EXACT words were 'we have no obligation to help you'

I tried to help myself so in the period that followed I started saving (I get £99 per week and saved as much of that I possibly could) I literally sold everything I owned on Ebay and was starting to get somewhere.

During this time I went to my doctors complaining of back problems which I've had as long as I can remember and was told I have a slight curve of the spine and am on strong pain killers (co-codomol sp? 30/500) I have had no fixed abode since June and have been sofa surfing which has made my back worse.

Now the new benefit cuts have come in and I'm not allowed to rent privately as I am 28. Again I went back to the council and again I am not entitled to help as I don't need a carer and i'm not sick enough but I can go on the register which could take up to 6 years!!!!

I'm in tears daily due to the stress and in so much pain with my back which has now spread to my hips and legs.

What can I do????? How can they refuse to help just because I'm 28, single, ENGLISH and have no kids. I've given them my life story (quite hard for a private person like me) including that I don't even have a duvet. To keep me warm at night I have to layer up and use a dressing gown to cover me.

I'm so low right now and I'm scared that the self harm and suicidal thoughts are returning as I stopped taking my anti depressants. I can feel myself slipping down into another downward spiral and I feel powerless to stop it.

Sorry for the rant and I hope someone can offer some constructive advice as to what to do next. I've spoken to shelter and they advised going back to the council which I did as above.

TIA

Hello there. I'm sorry to hear about your problems and hope we can help.

It's a shame Shelter didn't have more advice for you, but I wouldn't rule out ringing them back if you have more queries. Have you seen your local CAB? I'd have thought they should be able to help and they may have a Welfare Rights person.

I expect the guys will be along over the course of the day.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi honeybee

I spoke to CAB (finally as it is constantly engaged or no one picks up) and they told me to phone shelter which I did and they told me to go back to the council as I am entitled to help. Again I did as requested and was told I can not be helped, my local council has the rudest people working for them, one which made me cry with the comments she was making. I'm at the end of my tether I just want to be settled and try and fix my life and get back into employment

hello lala, may I ask you why you've stopped taking your anti-depressants? Is it the case that you ran out and forgot to get a repeat prescription? Is there any way you can talk to your Doctor this morning? You really need to get back on them to help you through this hunny.

Hopefully someone in the know will be on soon.

Hi Hine

To be totally honest I came off them as the council said I was not 'ill' enough so I told them that I've come off the pills and they can see how nutty I really am. I know it's a childish thing to do but I felt I wasnt getting anywhere with them and that they should see the 'real me' instead of a dosed up zombie. As I said one woman made me break down on the phone with the comments she was making, basically accusing me of lying and insinuating I was just a lay about. Kept interrupting me when I was tell her what meds I was on (apparently it doesnt matter that I'm on painkillers for my back)

Hi Hine

To be totally honest I came off them as the council said I was not 'ill' enough so I told them that I've come off the pills and they can see how nutty I really am. I know it's a childish thing to do but I felt I wasnt getting anywhere with them and that they should see the 'real me' instead of a dosed up zombie. As I said one woman made me break down on the phone with the comments she was making, basically accusing me of lying and insinuating I was just a lay about. Kept interrupting me when I was tell her what meds I was on (apparently it doesnt matter that I'm on painkillers for my back)

Have you actually been to the council and sat and waited to see someone?

I can't see how the Council can make decisions on whether they deem you 'ill', have they seen a Doctors letter ?

Do you attend any counselling?

Do you get any support from the Mental Health team?

Have you told your Doctor what is going on so they can they refer you to other medical practitioners to help you?

• Haha 1

(((Lala))) what a mess. The council advised you badly 3 years ago, they should have advised you to go on the housing list then. Now you need to get yourself on the housing list so do that first. Ignore what they say about the queue, they try and put people off joining it.

I don't know how your LA works as to priority banding but they may take into account your mental health or they may not. Unfortunately a bad back won't make any difference. I have been homeless twice in the last few years myself, I have disc degeneration disease including facet joint disease and crushed discs and I take tramadol which is stronger than you are taking but that made no difference to my wait at all.

Next you need to ask your local council for a referal to a floating support service - there you will be allocated a floating support worker whose job it is to help you with housing issues that will meet your need. They know everything there is about housing, what to apply for and your entitlement. They should also support you emotionally through this stressful time.

Meanwhile, do take your tablets again, you want to be well I am sure. It won't make any difference to the housing situation by not taking them, all it would do is lead you to feel very scared and very frightened and that really won't help.

I'm here for you, do keep posting. There is a way out of this honest and you will get through it.

Yes saw people face to face. First two questions was I born in the uk? Do I have kids? Answers are yes and no. Again exact words 'doubt we can help'

Took every doctor note I had. Proof of all medical illnesses, yes attended counselling and again provided proof. But they are rude and ignorant and totally disregarded me

(((Lala))) what a mess. The council advised you badly 3 years ago, they should have advised you to go on the housing list then. Now you need to get yourself on the housing list so do that first. Ignore what they say about the queue, they try and put people off joining it.

I don't know how your LA works as to priority banding but they may take into account your mental health or they may not. Unfortunately a bad back won't make any difference. I have been homeless twice in the last few years myself, I have disc degeneration disease including facet joint disease and crushed discs and I take tramadol which is stronger than you are taking but that made no difference to my wait at all.

Next you need to ask your local council for a referal to a floating support service - there you will be allocated a floating support worker whose job it is to help you with housing issues that will meet your need. They know everything there is about housing, what to apply for and your entitlement. They should also support you emotionally through this stressful time.

Meanwhile, do take your tablets again, you want to be well I am sure. It won't make any difference to the housing situation by not taking them, all it would do is lead you to feel very scared and very frightened and that really won't help.

I'm here for you, do keep posting. There is a way out of this honest and you will get through it.

Thank you so much for your advice. I have never even heard of what you've recommended.

They did give me bad advice first time round. Just gave me a piece of paper and a leaflet, he didn't explain what rent deposit scheme was I had to google it. He was ridiculous he said if I had any queries to phone him but its better to go through switch board as he won't answer his phone. Took him 4 weeks to get back to me.

I will do as you said. Again thank you so much

Yes saw people face to face. First two questions was I born in the uk? Do I have kids? Answers are yes and no. Again exact words 'doubt we can help'

Took every doctor note I had. Proof of all medical illnesses, yes attended counselling and again provided proof. But they are rude and ignorant and totally disregarded me

abc has some good advice in her post, please get back on those tablets, I know it's a Saturday but I hope your surgery is open, even if only open for emergencies this is an emergency, you need to get back on them.

You don't here! It's different all over the county, each LA has their own criteria. Here the only way you get into high priority is if your life is at risk in your current accommodation.

But they do help you find accommodation if you are homeless, and they are legally obliged to if you are 'vulnerable'.

You don't here! It's different all over the county, each LA has their own criteria. Here the only way you get into high priority is if your life is at risk in your current accommodation.

But they do help you find accommodation if you are homeless, and they are legally obliged to if you are 'vulnerable'.

My LA would allow lala on the list if she's resided in this area the required amount of time etc, the calculator places a single person in your sort of situation as a band C candidate, so not high priority, but they would put you on the housing list and to be honest I have no idea how long the wait would be but I do note there are 2135 applicants in band c at present, 88 properties were available in the last three months and 19 band C people got them.

Has your LA got a website like mine where you can use a calculator to see if you would be eligible?

Do you have a local Salvation Army or homeless shelter. We have the Salvation Army and they have facilities to help with benefit advice, food, clothing and accommodation too.

like the other I think you need to put your name down on the list and start bidding on properties and definitely start taking the medication you need.

A friend of mine works for a company that manages housing for vulnerable people, I only know vague details.

I asked him the sort of people they support and basically its people who have come out of prison, drug addicts, people who have been homeless etc.

So basically this sort of help only seems to come when in my view its too late, the housing is subsidised he says they only pay about £50-£100 month for rent.

I remember when I applied for a council flat many years ago, me and my sister went to the council offices. I was told more or less straight than unless I had children, was ex army or had severe disability I would in all likelyhood not get a council property. I assume they were using DLA as a criteria to assess for severe disability.

When I moved into my first property with my current landlord I was working full time, so I didnt have to worry about unemployment stigma and had the cash to move in. When I moved to where I am now its the same landlord so he already trusts me and my dad helped me pay for the bond.