Advice on Civil Penalty Notice at Keele University

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new to all this and need some advice.

I am a Student at Keele University and as of the 25th Feb they have contracted Car Parking Partnership as their agents. This is both for Main Campus and the seperate buildings on the Hospital for Nursing Students like myself.

I received a Civil Penalty Notice for parking in a resident parking bay where i live on main campus without a valid permit.

I left a note on my car saying that my car was broken down and I was arranging removal.

Further on the ticket it says that my vehicle was observed in a staff and patient area only meaning the Hospital site when it was in fact on the main campus and they are 4 miles from each other accross stoke-on-trent therefore the information on the ticket is incorrect.

I wish to appeal the ticket and was wondering if I had grounds because of the informaion being wrong on the CPN.

Thank you in advance.

Bavo

Hi Bav, I would say that if the information is incorrect on the ticket then you have good grounds to appeal, but as i am not an expert, I am going to have someone more experienced come take a look :-)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hi Bavo, welcome to the forums.

Hi,

Further on the ticket it says that my vehicle was observed in a staff and patient area only meaning the Hospital site when it was in fact on the main campus and they are 4 miles from each other accross stoke-on-trent therefore the information on the ticket is incorrect.

I wish to appeal the ticket and was wondering if I had grounds because of the informaion being wrong on the CPN.

A number of private parking firms are now issuing Civil Penalty Notices. They are not Penalty Charge Notices as issued by local councils which have statuatory backing. The fall in area of civil law. They are just invoices for alleged breach of an implied contract. They have little validity under law. Penalty Charges in contracts contravene established case law.

Lula has put a link to the Private Parking Charge Sticky. Have a read of that and have a look at Bernie the Bolts template letters which you'll find at the top of this forum.

You mention a permit system. Have you been issued with one? Are there any conditions mentioned in the contract? It would be useful to have some more information.

If no payment is forthcoming they will obtain the registered keeper details from the DVLA. I would follow the advice in the guide and use the responses in the template letters.

Remember you are under no legal obligation to help these people and you do not have to incriminate yourself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bav3333,

The legal situation is as pin1onu says.

More worryingly is the position of the University. Universities usually have rules about withholding degrees until all debts are cleared, whether this extends to the kickbacks they get back from parking companies is anybodies guess.

I would fall out with a Parking Company any day of the week, and have done. Falling out with your employer or University is a different matter. I still think you should follow the route as suggested by pin1onu but have the big picture in mind.

Just a bit of info for those who are interested: Car Parking Partnership is part of a company called Liberty Printers - who print most of the council pcn's around the country, and most of the police tickets / anpr tickets.

They appeared when the DVLA started 'restricting' access to their database (if you can call it 'restricting'!!), offering a 'you ticket, we enforce' type of service, as many other PPC's do now.

You could do the usual template letters etc, but as the above poster says, it becomes a bit more interesting when its your university. They may just add it to your fees - take a look at your terms you signed up to when you signed for your permit. They may decide to be akward and remove your permit from you as well, making your life more difficult.

Im at a bit of a loss, all of me says 'fight it, they are bloodsuckers' but then again, will it make your life more difficult in the long term.

All opinions & information are the personal view of the poster, and are not that of any organisation, company or employer. Any information disclosed by the poster is for personal use only. Permission to process this data under the Data Protection act is NOT GIVEN to any company, only personal readers.