• Tweets

• Do you have broadband at home? A permanent move to e.g. Sky Glass may not fit with your desire to keep your digibox,, but can you move the items you most want off the digibox? If so, Sky Glass might suit you. You might ask Sky to loan you a “puck” and provide access as an interim measure. another option might be using Sky Go, at least short term, to give you access to some of the Sky programming while awaiting the dish being sorted.
    • £85PCM to sky, what!! why are you paying so much, what did you watch on sky thats not on freeview?  
    • Between yourself and Dave you have produced a very good WS. However if you were to do a harder hitting WS it may be that VCS would be more likely to cancel prior to a hearing. The Contract . VCS [Jake Burgess?] are trying to conflate parking in a car park to driving along a road in order to defend the indefensible. It is well known that "NO Stopping " cannot form a contract as it is prohibitory. VCS know that well as they lose time and again in Court when claiming it is contractual. By mixing up parking with driving they hope to deflect from the fact trying to claim that No Stopping is contractual is tantamount to perjury. No wonder mr Burgess doesn't want to appear in Court. Conflation also disguises the fact that while parking in a car park for a period of time can be interpreted as the acceptance of the contract that is not the case while driving down a road. The Defendant was going to the airport so it is ludicrous to suggest that driving by a No Stopping  sign is tacitly accepting  the  contract -especially as no contract is even being offered. And even if a motorist did not wish to be bound by the so called contract what could they do? Forfeit their flight and still have to stop their car to turn around? Put like that the whole scenario posed by Mr Burgess that the Defendant accepted the contract by driving past the sign is absolutely absurd and indefensible. I certainly would not want to appear in Court defending that statement either. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I will do the contract itself later.
    • Yes - ignore. Because of another MET victim today I looked at all our MET cases back to June 2014 ... yes, 10 years. They have never dared take a motorist to court and argue their case before a judge.  They have started the odd court case, but as a means of trying to intimidate the motorist into coughing up, when the motorist defended and refused to give in it was MET who bottled it and discontinued.
    • Unpaid wages should be pretty straightforward if you did the work. Don't be intimidated. You need only show you were due money, and did not get money.   The risk is that they have no money to pay you (and legal fees) - frankly a solicitor maybe be costing them more than your claim is for and I might have expected them to make a commercial decision to settle before this point regardless of the merits of the case.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclaycard using Mercers Debt Collection Ltd (who have "dormant accounts")e

FANTASY CHARGES
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

a search on Mercers debt collections limited

see link

https://secure.creditgate.com/search/search.aspx?AP=O&CompanyID=02550639&CompanyType=L&BS=1&BT=Full%20Data

has revealed the following :-

Company Name:

MERCERS DEBT COLLECTIONS LIMITED

Company No: 02550639

Registered Office:Incorporated: 22/10/1990CITYPOINT

ONE ROPEMAKER STREET

LONDON

EC2Y 9SS

Company Type: Private LimitedReport Status: Full DataAccounts Type: DormantLatest Accounts to: 31/12/2005Latest Return to: 01/10/2006

it clearly states the accounts type dormant.

If you were a shareholder in Barclays Bank Plc do you think the company should do business with a company whose accounts type is as stated above.

Are Mercers a subsiduary of Barclays Bank Plc and Is this stated in the accounts of Barclays Plc ???

:cool: sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps

I had a lot of dealings with Mercers over the past few years and I was always of the opinion that they were actually part of Barclaycard. I can't recall why I thought that but I never for a moment thought they were an independent debt collector.

• 2 years later...
Guest dwheeler
a search on Mercers debt collections limited

see link

https://secure.creditgate.com/search/search.aspx?AP=O&CompanyID=02550639&CompanyType=L&BS=1&BT=Full%20Data

has revealed the following :-

Company Name:

Company No: 02550639

Registered Office:Incorporated: 22/10/1990CITYPOINT

ONE ROPEMAKER STREET

LONDON

EC2Y 9SS

Company Type: Private LimitedReport Status: Full DataAccounts Type: DormantLatest Accounts to: 31/12/2005Latest Return to: 01/10/2006

it clearly states the accounts type dormant.

If you were a shareholder in Barclays Bank Plc do you think the company should do business with a company whose accounts type is as stated above.

Are Mercers a subsiduary of Barclays Bank Plc and Is this stated in the accounts of Barclays Plc ???

.. Edited by dwheeler

• 2 months later...

Despite Mercers Debt Collections Limited being shown as dormant, filings continue.

Company Name:

Company No:02550639

Registered Office:

Incorporated:22/10/1990

CITYPOINT

ONE ROPEMAKER STREET

LONDON

EC2Y 9SS

Company Type: Private Limited

Report Status: Full Data

Accounts Type: Dormant

Latest Accounts to:31/12/2008

Latest Return to:01/01/2009

The above as of 10 June 2009.

At Companies House I see also this:

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

7499 - Non-trading company

So here we have a Dormant, Non-trading Company which sends out letters bearing a PO Box address in Liverpool within Barclaycard envelopes carrying a PO Box address in Northampton as a return address.

In what way is this proper? :rolleyes:

tch tch tch

LL

Edited by LampLighter
Nothing anyone needs to worry about in any way

"Do just once what others say you cannot do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." - Arthur C. Clarke.

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." - Psalms 119:105

I just got another letter from mercers this morning ( i suppose because they haven't managed to find my info at Barclaycard). Does anyone have a good letter to send them relecting on the above details about them being a dormant company. I am going to send them one anyway so may as well throw a few threats in there as well.

Any thoughts

VICTORIES TO DATE THROUGH THE HELP OF THIS SITE:

1. Littlewoods Catalouge - No pursual of debt & wrote off £4500

2. Three mobile - Debt written off in full, all adverse entries including default removed from credit files, even got an apology from the Chairmans office

3. HSBC Bank - Partial refund for bank charges & claim lodged at court for outstanding charges.

4. HFC Bank - Ongoing - SAR'd in may- Going to register at court for non compliance.

5. Barclaycard - Being very awkward but Ongoing - These are a tricky bunch but they will fold before I do.

GOD BLESS CONSUMER ACTION GROUP!

The term dormant applies to a company that, in legal terms, has no significant accounting transactions during a financial year. It is not the same as a non-trading company, a term that has no legal meaning.

A dormant company must not have any accounting transactions except specific allowable transactions that can be disregarded.

No significant accounting transactions means no entries in the company's accounting records. The amount paid for shares when the company is first formed and a few costs that the company may incur in order to keep the company registered at Companies House do not count as significant accounting transactions.

Financial transactions that do not affect the submitting of dormant company accounts are: payment for shares taken by subscribers to the memorandum of association, fees paid for a change of company name, the re-registration of a company and filing of annual returns and payment made because of penalties incurred due to late filing. Dormant company accounts do not have to include a profit and loss account and can be very brief, particularly if the company has been dormant since incorporation.

A company can be non-trading in the sense that it is not doing business. However, it may still have other accounting transactions going through its books, which means that it is not dormant in a legal sense.

Dormant or Non-Trading - as the company is non-trading, it is required to file Dormant Accounts annually to Companies House. Dormant accounts show very little financial data except for assets and shares held. If the company becomes active again, it will be required to file normal Annual Accounts again. Due to the lack of financial data, a dormant company will not be assigned a credit score or limit, also there will be little company information.

Based on the above, accepting payments as an agent of another company could well be contrued as transactions which are outside the scope of the 'maintenance' transactions listed above.

When I have more time I will do a little more research, as I am also in receipt of a letter from Mercers. They say it's a DN, but it's not. It's just a letter. :p

Cheers,

LL

"Do just once what others say you cannot do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." - Arthur C. Clarke.

When I have more time I will do a little more research, as I am also in receipt of a letter from Mercers. They say it's a DN, but it's not. It's just a letter. :p

Cheers,

LL

that "DN" from Mercers... I'm not a gambling man but I bet they havent put the original creditors name and address on the "DN" :-D

S.

Hi Zorro,

There's plenty of ways to dispute matters with BC and Mercers.

Don't get involved in whether Mercers are dormant, awake, trading or anything else. Just deal with the normal issues.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I wasn't going to get into a state about this peculiar factoid, it's just that I was considering the possibility of easily obtaining material for Mr. Ton's Cheekiness thread, if only because Companies House's paraphrase of the Companies Act 1985/2006 [amusingly] states

"To remain dormant, a company cannot have paid employees because it would have to record their wages in the accounting records."

This HAS to be good for a laugh! If I should ever get a phone call from them, particularly as a certain bank is not permitted to give them my private number. "And you work for Mercer's, do you? And they PAY you?? Good grief!" (Thinks, must drop a line to Companies House about this!

Call me mischievous if you like ... but don't call me late for dinner.

LL

that "DN" from Mercers... I'm not a gambling man but I bet they havent put the original creditors name and address on the "DN" :-D

Well, of course not, er ... that would be the correct thing to do. And to save you vouchsafing further ... they don't know how to capitalize certain statutory paragraphs or post things off in a timely manner either, but there's no point in spending my time telling a complete waste of water that he/she is in error. I'm content to smile and ignore the thing almost completely. I have to be careful not to put a cup down on the letter until it's filed and that's all.

LL

• 1 month later...

Hi Rycord

I recently had default notice from mercers, it says :

we act as agents for Barclays bank plc t/a barclaycard. Its dated 24th June and gives till 11th July for payment. I rang and made payment within this time and they refunded some of my charges, account back with B/CD now. On the back of the default letter it says if you act within the time limit then fine, but if you dont we may inform CRA to update your file.

My point is this if this was a default, then would they not have already filed it with CRA. So I dont think this can be a real default notice.

Ang

Hi Rycord

I recently had default notice from mercers, it says :

we act as agents for Barclays bank plc t/a barclaycard. Its dated 24th June and gives till 11th July for payment. I rang and made payment within this time and they refunded some of my charges, account back with B/CD now. On the back of the default letter it says if you act within the time limit then fine, but if you dont we may inform CRA to update your file.

My point is this if this was a default, then would they not have already filed it with CRA. So I dont think this can be a real default notice.

Ang

If it says its a default notice served under s87 of the CCA then it is normally a valid default notice. You shouldnt confuse marking a default at a CRA and a default notice, they are not the same. The default notice identifies a breach of contract which if not fixed will result in the account being defaulted and at some point a default flag on your credit file. If you rectify the default by paying the amount required then the breach is fixed and you carry on as normal with the account.

S.

Shadow

I never knew that, I thought a default notice s87 was officially a default will be recorded against you. When I went to look online at my CRA it was not recorded. That will be why then.

Thanks

Ang

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking for an accurate address for Mercer debt collections because when I sent my last letter to them Special Delivery the woman at the Post office was unable to find the postcode. In my travels, I came across the following site: www.csa-uk.com/csa/members-list.php

Turns out to be quite useful since it shows that they are Barclaycard t/a, and also has addresses for all other debt collectors ...

Mercers is flagged as dormant because Barclays Bank plc t/a Barclaycard want to reserve the name. Meanwhile they trade under it and it is a member of the CSA. It has staff who swear they pay them, so it must be alright then. :rolleyes: I think it's simply a way of intimidating people who are in dispute with BC over something. Anything.

Their registered address in London (see below) can be found by the Royal Mail, someone there has signed for my letters to them. Some of which were slightly facetious but I don't think they took any notice.

CITYPOINT

ONE ROPEMAKER STREET

LONDON

EC2Y 9SS

Of course, they will have to forward it to wherever they work, Northampton or Liverpool, it makes no odds to me, I don't really take any notice of them. Which is boring, but see the cheekiness to a DCA thread in the bear garden for a good example of how to deal with them. heh heh

• 7 months later...

I am trying to ascertain whether Mercers are truly an independent DCA or in-house Barclays t/a Mercers.

I did the following searches whch leaves me confused so I would appreciate some help:

This is from The Credit Services Association website for Mercers Debt Collections Ltd. I've emboldened the bits that look interesting:

CSA

Mercers Debt Collections Ltd

Services: Consumer Debt Collection

Email: [email protected]

Website: Credit Cards, Personal Loans and Insurance - Barclaycard

Telephone: 0151 473 2528

Address: PO Box 28, 6th Floor, Liverpool, L32 8UY

Here is the result of a search of the OFT Consumer Credit Register for Mercers debt Collections Ltd:

Public Register

Application / Licence Details

Licence Number: 0511950

Licence Status:Current

Current Applicant / Licensee:

Business Name Company Registration Number

Mercers Debt Collections Limited 2550639

Categories:

Credit brokerage

Debt adjusting/counselling

Debt collecting

Right To Canvass Off Trade Premises:Yes

Trading Name(s) (Current):

Calder Financial

Issued Date: 23-Nov-2001

Expiry Date: 21-Dec-2011

Legal Formation:

Body Corporate (incorporated inside UK)

Current Individuals that run the organisation:

Name Position

Lynne Karen Dineen

Tracy Lynn Cunningham

Zara Jade Woods

Historic Individuals that run the organisation:

Adam Pfeil OFFICER, Christopher Ross Fisher OFFICER,Deborah Joanne Bulcock OFFICER,Michael Anthony King OFFICER, Michael Chi Liu,Paul McLoughlin OFFICER,Richard Michael Williams OFFICER,Sheila Marie Carr OFFICER, Susan Anne Strahan OFFICER

Current Organisations that run the organisation:

Barcosec Limited OFFICER

Nature of Business: Debt Collection

Current Address(es):

Address Type Address

Correspondence: Barclays Corporate Secretariat, Level 29, 1 Churchill Place, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5HP

Historic Address(es):

Address Type Address

Correspondence Group Corporate Secretariat 54, Lombard Street, London, EC3P 3AH

Principal Place Of Business 21, Holborn Viaduct, London, EC1A 2DY

Principal Place Of Business 54, Lombard Street, London, EC3P 3AH

Registered Office Granite House, 97/101 Cannon Street, London, EC4N 5AD

Using the Companies House Webcheck service to look up Mercers and Barcosec

WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information

Name & Registered Office:

CITYPOINT

ONE ROPEMAKER STREET

LONDON

EC2Y 9SS

Company No. 02550639

Date of Incorporation: 22/10/1990

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Accounting Reference Date: 31/12

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2008 (DORMANT)

Next Accounts Due: 30/09/2010

Last Return Made Up To: 01/01/2010

Next Return Due: 29/01/2011

Last Members List: 01/01/2010

Previous Names:

Date of change Previous Name

10/07/1991 BARSHELFCO (NO.49) LIMITED

UK Establishment Details

There are no UK Establishments associated with this company.

Oversea Company Info

There are no Oversea Details associated with this company.

………………………………………………………………….

Name & Registered Office:

BARCOSEC LIMITED

1 CHURCHILL PLACE

LONDON

E14 5HP

Company No. 02223143

Date of Incorporation: 19/02/1988

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Accounting Reference Date: 31/12

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2008 (DORMANT)

Next Accounts Due: 30/09/2010

Last Return Made Up To: 01/01/2010

Next Return Due: 29/01/2011

Last Members List: 01/01/2010

Previous Names:

Date of change Previous Name

23/07/1996 BARCLAYS LEAGUE LIMITED

07/12/1995 BARCLAYS LEAGUE LIMITED

02/01/1996 BZW BARCLAYS GLOBAL INVESTORS LIMITED

Be under no illusions about this, Mercers are part of Barclays Bank plc. As are Calders, they are the next level of Barclays thuggery when Mercers fail (as they usually do with caggers). If you get a any communication from Calders take a look at the tiny print at the bottom of the page where they admit to being part of Mercers. We have complained to Companies House about the trading of this dormant company and were told that they are in fact under investigation for breaches of the regulations. Read the Companies House guidelines on dormant companies under the Companies Act 2006 andf you will find that the directors of Mercers HAVE committed criminal offences. with regard to failures in the accounts filed.

Unfortunately as with many things in the UK if you break the law on a big enough scale you are allowed to get awy with it.

regards

oilyrag.:)