eon closed my account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I changed my supplier Eon to British Gas last year. This left me owing Eon £100. I arranged to pay this off monthly which I did until two months ago. When I logged into my account to pay the last final payment of £20. I found my account had been closed. ????? So I was unable to pay the final payment. Since then I have been receiving mysterious text messages on my mobile to urgently contact this company ( sorry can't remember name at the moment because I delete them) and withheld numbers on my landline. I can only presume this is a debt collector but I am not acknowledging them until they write to me. C

Can you adviseme on how I stand with this.

Thank you

I think that you are doing exactly the right thing by ignoring the texts. Keep on doing that – and in fact even if you are contacted by debt collectors, probably ignore them as well.

On the other hand, I think you need to be upfront about it and also make it clear to Eon that it is they who are screwing things up.

I would suggest that you write them a letter – sent recorded delivery – complaining to them that they have close your account before your payments are finished and that they have given no explanation or made any communication about it. I would suggest that you enclose a cheque for the final payment – not a postal order – making sure that the letter refers to it. Photocopy the cheque as well as keeping a copy of the letter. Send it all to them and if they start to be stupid then you will be in a good position to deal with them.

Don't imagine that because you don't hear from them for some time that it will all have gone away.

Hi. I changed my supplier Eon to British Gas last year. This left me owing Eon £100. I arranged to pay this off monthly which I did until two months ago. When I logged into my account to pay the last final payment of £20. I found my account had been closed. ????? So I was unable to pay the final payment. Since then I have been receiving mysterious text messages on my mobile to urgently contact this company ( sorry can't remember name at the moment because I delete them) and withheld numbers on my landline. I can only presume this is a debt collector but I am not acknowledging them until they write to me. C

Can you adviseme on how I stand with this.

Thank you

Hello thomass1949.

You don't need to log in to your account to make an online payment. You can do this at the link below.

https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/your-account/make-payment

Have to say, it's odd that you can't make a payment through your old online account. Usually, this is only blocked on closed accounts where there's nothing left to pay. Before making another payment, I'd check there's still an outstanding balance. You can do this by logging in and going to 'My Account' followed by 'your account summary' and then 'past bills and transactions.'

Hope this helps.

Malc

Is it is possible it isn't EON (or a DCA acting for them) who are pursuing you?.

Would it be worth answering one (& only one!) of the landline calls to

a) find out who is calling, and on behalf of whom, and

b) to tell them "no calls, in writing only!".

• 2 weeks later...

This is a prime example and a salutary tale for others of why energy companies (and others with a supplier relationship) only need your supply address and email address (preferably disposable) for contact.

Phone numbers, mobile etc are totally superfluous.