No boiler for 10 weeks on 3rd Sept

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I'll try to keep things simple...

• We're renting through an agency
  • We moved in July 6th 2013
  • July 3rd 2014 someone came to do a gas safety cert and condemned the boiler as:
    • It was so blocked up that it was unsafe
    • There is no external ventilation

[*]We still have no boiler

[*]The hot water runs off an immersion heater when the boiler doesn't work

[*]No heating (I have a medical condition that means that I've wanted the heating on for a few weeks)

[*]No gas safety certificate for last year - we're the first tenants and without the vent, no gas safety certificate can ever have been issued

So, 4 people all using hot water and having showers that run off an electric immersion heater for 10 weeks and no boiler due to an illegal installation.

I don't think the landlord knows what's happening and I suspect the agency is lying to us. People have supposed to have been coming out, they don't turn up, I chase, the agency say they'll call back and rarely do unless I start getting the hump. This is quite a big chain as well. They begin with B and end with elvoir.

What recourse do we have? Should we get compensation for the inconvenience an increased costs for running the hot water and showers off an immersion heater?

Not really sure where to turn now as the agency just seem to be taking the mick.

Cheers all

A

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

We have a copy of the failure certificate and a sticker on the boiler saying that we can't use it and that if we do we could be fined £5000.

No, we don't have contact details for the landlord.

Yes, the deposit is protected.

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I've done some digging but it's all a bit vague. Some sites say we're entitled to £10 a day up to £50. But I'm assuming that's based on the fault being fixed in a lot less than 10 weeks!

Cheers

A

If they rented you a property with no Gas Cert ..... They are in a "Sea of $h1t"

I beleive ARLA are the the people to report them to.

Also contact the Local Council and report it. They will do a lot of chasing and "investigations" for you.

If you are looking at financial compensation, it may be worth doing some calculations to see how much extra it's costing you to run the hot water from the immersion rather than the boiler. I know you've looked at some sites for some figures but if you have a rough figure of your own at least that is something to point out to them.

In terms of getting your boiler up and running again, did the failure notice give details of the contractor who did the failed check? They would most likely have been the contractors who would have been set to fix the boiler. Are your agency happy for you to liaise directly with the contractor in order to get your boiler sorted? It doesn't absolve them or your landlord of their responsibilities but they sometimes let tenants make their own arrangements with contractors in order to help get the work done. I would suggest advising the agency first if you plan to get in touch with the contractor though.

Any pearls of wisdom that I give on the CAG forums is based on previous experiences and knowledge I have gained from being on these forums.