Cancelled Motor Policy - Wrong address

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello...

Please can someone direct / help me...

My girlfriend took out motor insurance on 1st Oct '10 with a company. We input the correct details online and they even called her and confirmed the policy (with a small price increase)

But, they have since been sending demands for documents to the wrong address. They have input her house number & phone number wrong onto their systems, so she never got the requests and subsiquently they have cancelled her policy, again sending the warning letter to the wrong address. It was only the eagel eyed postman that saw this and posted a Recorded delivery card to her... So we're too late... policy cancelled because they had the wrong details, through no fault of ours! (we gave them the right ones!) Even took a wrong mobile number so they could call us (which i doubt they tired)

Where do we stand?

They are offering £209 back... thats a 50% reduction in the policy and cancellation charge...

Their excuse is " she should have called us when she didn't get the docs" but we all know we're busy people and we can forget!

So.. they messed up and we're paying!

I'm expecting a phone call Monday 13/12 to say what they will do... if not a complaint will be going in... then to the Financial Ombudsman...

All suggestions or comments are welcome... do we have a leg to stand on if its their fault they got the adderss wrong!?

Thank you

Hi rusty

Welcome to CAG

As soon as you get your phone call, if the matter still isn't resolved. Write a Formal Letter of Complaint to the CEO. Give him all the details, including how they have let you down and tell him what you would like them to do to resolve the matter. Then as you've suggested complain to the FOS. Send all letters Recorded.

The FSA would expect the company to arrange a new policy at the previous premium and to only charge time on risk on previous policy with no cancellation charges. These companies should follow the 'treating customers fairly' agenda and if they don't they should rectify this without it affecting you. They should also think about compensating you for the inconenience suffered.

When this company phoned you, why did the premium increase ? It shouldn't, unless you changed the cover or corrections to risk details were made. Perhaps they caused the increase in premium, when they changed the address to the wrong one.

I could guess at which company have done this. There are a few brokers/intermediaries that make phone calls after policies are taken up online, to try to obtain further premiums or cross sales.

Follow the companies complaints process and then if you are not getting anywhere raise with their CEO, followed by referral to the FOS. The FOS will take ages if you send the complaint in writing to them. Better to phone the FOS and see if they will raise this with the company to get a quick resolution.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES SO FAR!!

They phoned to arrange the policy when we filled out a web form with the details.. they stated the increase was due to a 'well none comparison site' only giving estimates! Which is rubbish...

So it looks as if i'm on the right track... thank you!