Direct Debit Mandate without permission???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Overview: 2 years ago I had a fault with my washing machine when I first bought it (hair clip got stuck in the motor, stupidly I didn’t check my pockets before putting trousers in) so I called the engineer as I though I had insurance cover but because it wasn’t a manufacture fault I had to either buy insurance or pay £99 call out fee, so I bought the insurance. I was told I pay for 12 months and get 3 years cover including accidental damage. I paid for 12 months and all was ok. I made my final instalment in August 2009.

Here's the problem - I looked at my bank statement last month and Domestic & General started taking out premiums again in August 2010 without letting me know or sending me a new mandate to sign etc. I called my bank and cancelled the direct debit, when I asked about refund they said I need to go to the mandate holder for that. I thought under the Direct Debit Guarantee the bank had to refund it as it's an unauthorized direct debit? I have contacted Domestic & General about this but have heard nothing back. Can anyone advise me on what to do now I’m confused to where I stand.

Thanks

Make a complaint using D&G's complaints process. Ask them to explain why they have continued to collect payments without sending any notice of renewal.

I suspect that in the original documents that they sent you, it confirmed these payments. D&G should be able to confirm whether this was the case.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

This could be problematic, did you record the call? D&G's policy (it is an insurance-based system) has always been based on a monthly OR annuall payment providing the cover you described. However, if you had a monthly scheme, it would be up to you to prove that somehow you got 24 months free cover after paying only for 12. They may have had a promotion where some free cover was provided, but I have never found them to be as generous as you describe. The information pack you will have received after the policy was taken out will explain your deal. On mine, the three years metioned is NOT for cover, BUT their guarantee to hold spares and repair your model for this period, not that it would be provided at no further cost

As ever, the devil is in the detail, so you#ll need to refer to the policy you have as to their offer, not what you might have understood (or mis understood) as pat of an information packed phone call.