• Tweets

• is the home in joint names but this is solely your debt? need far more history to be able to comment if it's paid off and was not just written of by one partly on their books and sold to anther, thus the cra file says £0. dx
    • So, Sunak has managed to get someone to 'volunteer to go to Rwanda hasn't he? .. for just £3000 payment to the person plus 5 years free board and lodging isnt it? - cost to UK taxpayer over £300M+ (300 million quid+) isnt it? - Bargain says Rwanda, especially with all the profit we made privately selling those luxury chalets Bravermann advertised for us   I wonder how many brits would jump at that offer? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Lets see, up to 5 years free board and lodging and £3k in my pocket .. I'd go - and like that person - just come back if/when I get bored. First job - off to Botswana for a week to see the elephants.   Of course the paid volunteers going to Botswana are meaningless - Rwanda have REPEATEDLY said they wont take any forcibly trafficked people in breach of international law eh? Have the poops actually got any civil servants to agree to go yet - probably end up as more massive payments to VIPal contractors to go and sit there doing nowt shortly eh?    
    • Hi Wondered if I could get a little advise please. I entered into a commercial lease (3 years) and within a few months I had to leave as the business I was trading with collapsed. I returned the keys to the landlord and explained the situation and no money, also likely to go on benefits but the landlord stuck to their guns. They have now instructed solicitors to send letter before action claiming just over £4000. The lease was mine and so the debt. I know this. I have emailed the solicitors twice to explain I am out of work and that with help from family I could offer a full and final settlement figure of £1500 or £10pw. This was countered by them with an offer to reduce the debt by £400, or pay off the amount over 12 months. I went back with an improved full and final offer of £2500 or £20pw. This has been rejected with the comment 'papers ready to go to court'. I have no hope of paying the £4000 and so it will have to go to court. Pity as I have no debts otherwise but not working is a killer. I wondered if they take me to court, could I ask for mediation? I also think that taking me to court will result in a pretty much nothing per week payment from my benefits. Are companies just pushing ahead with action even if a better offer is on the table? Thanks for your help.
    • Hi all, Many thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the reply to the email was as expected…   Starbucks UK Customer Care <[email protected]> Hi xxxxxx, We are sorry to read you received a parking charge after using our Stansted Airport - A120 DT store. Unfortunately, the car park here is managed by MET parking. Both Starbucks and EuroGarages who own and operate this site are not able to help and have no authority to overturn any parking charges received. If you have followed the below terms then you would need to send all correspondence to [email protected], who will be able to assist you further. Several signs around the car park clarify the below terms and conditions: • Maximum stay 60 minutes, whilst the store is open. If the store is closed, pay to park applies. • The car park is for Starbucks customers only who make a purchase in our store, a charge will be issued if you left the site. • If you had made a purchase and required additional time, you must have inputted your registration number into the in store iPad which would have extended your stay up to 3 hours • To park in a disabled bay, you must have displayed a valid disabled badge. • If Starbucks was closed, you must have paid for parking as charges still apply, following signage located on site. • If you didn’t use the store, you must have paid for parking, following signage located on site Please ensure all further correspondence is directed to MET parking at the above email address, and accept our apologies that we cannot help you further on this matter.  Kind Regards,  Lora K  Customer Care Team Leader Starbucks Coffee Company, Building 4 Chiswick Park, London, W4 5YE
    • Thanks HB edited and re-uploaded. Thanks for the heads up 👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Thames Credit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I've recently been contacted - quite of the blue - by this company, who are claiming I owe them approx. £560.

I gave them call to find out more, and was told that this apparantly relates to a bank account that was closed in 1994, and that the last activity on that account was in that year.

Now in the dark recesses of my memory, I do recall having an account with this particular bank around that time, but I moved abroad in the mid-90s and stopped using the UK banking system altogether. I moved back to the UK in early 2001, did the usual opening of bank accounts, and have been lviing and working - debt free I might add - in this country since then. I've never taken out credit or had any loans.

So now this letter has arrived, demanding I pay up. What I honestly don't recall is if any money really was owing. I might have had an overdraft, I might not, I really don't remember.

I disputed the debt, and wrote a letter to them a few days ago, the template of which I acquired online (not from this site, unfortunately).

The template made reference to the relevant sections of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 as yours does, but made no mention of any fee I had to pay to demand the details of this debt. Consequently, I'm concerned that they now don't need to respond to my letter as it's somehow not valid without the fee.

So, I'm a little confused as to where I stand. I acknowledge that I had a bank account around 1994, and that I had one with the bank they mention. I'm certainly not going to try to avoid a debt if I have one, but I really do not remember if I owed this bank anything when I moved. I'm sure these people intend to hound me relentless, so where do I stand?

Thankyou for a speedy reply, gizmo111. I'm sorry to ask what must seem like a stupid question (this situation is rather new to me), but should I send that letter right away, or should I wait for any response from the letter that's just gone and requests all the details under the CCA 1974?

• 2 weeks later...

Right, round 2, and I'd still hugely appreciate advice. I sent the letter suggested by gizmo111 by recorded delivery. This morning I received this reply (this is a direct quote from the letter, take note of that; it's important):

"Dear Sir,

We refer to your recorded delivery letter dated 24th August 2007.

We have consulted [the bank in question] regarding the account. They have advised the last correspondence sent to you was in February 2003, and therefore the account is not statute barred.

Upon receipt of this letter, you must contact us on the below telephone number to discuss repayment options.

Yours faithfully,

Thames Credit"

Now, is it just me, or does the phrase "the last correspondence sent to you was in February 2003" also translate as "we haven't a leg to stand on, but are going to take a chance that you don't understand English well enough to be able to tell the difference between contacting, and being contacted."?

I don't recall this supposed contact in the slightest, so I'm guessing that - if it is true - they're saying a letter was dispatched around that time, which I've not only never responded to, but certainly never received.

What I want now is some advice. My first instinct is to write back and advise them that I can actually read English, that cheap tricks at semantics aren't going to work, and that - furthermore - I'd be appreciative if they'd go away and have intercourse with themselves.

On reflection, that might not be a good idea, so my second instinct is to write back thanking them for letting me know when the creditor has apparantly tried to contact me, but pointing out that they require proof I have contacted them or made a payment (neither of which I've done), and that I still do not consider any monies to be owed.

But then, is it better to acknowledge that this letter confirms they have nothing to go on, and just ignore it?

What should I do?

They have advised the last correspondence sent to you was in February 2003, and therefore the account is not statute barred.

Ask for their complaints procedure. You can then ask them to clarify exactly where the Limitation Act states contact to you. Last step to a great complaint to the FOS - bet they are regretting that statement already.

• Haha 1

Hi Tezcat......1st Credit have their own interpretation of (a) the law and (b) acceptable business practices - both of which defy reason & belief. How they are still in business, l don't know.

Search the forum and you will find many references to their, shall we say, unorthodox methods.

You have nothing to worry about on this. As previously mentioned, any 'debt' is statute barred now.

If you ignore them, they will go away and pester someone else.

They are pond-life of the very lowest level.

Regards.................Valdez

• Haha 1

As you'll be aware, the Statute Barred clock is reset only if you make a payment or acknowledge the debt in writing.

A creditor can contact you all they want, that doesn't make any difference. Thames are bluffing, in my opinion, and I agree that you should instigate their complaints procedure.

• Haha 1

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

Thanks. That's made my mind up to make a complaint (not, I'd guess, the first they've ever had to deal with!).

With regards to said complaint, and to what 'make them aktiv runners' said about the Limitation Act, is there a letter template for this kind of contact? I'm obviously happy to write something myself, but want to make sure that any contact I send them fully protects me where the law is concerned.

Actually Dave the Statute Barred clock can NEVER be reset.

Once barred it is permanently barred.

This is a classic for Thames.

So you had an account in 94 and stopped using it then.

You left the country and returned in 2001, OK so there's you Statute Barred straight off.

This letter in 2003, whether or not it exists, doesn't matter at all as the debt is BARRED anyway.

As ever Thames are urinating in the wind.

Try this for good measure.

Thank you for your letter of DATE, the contents of which have been noted.

I refer to my letter of DATE where I told you that this alleged debt is Barred under Statute, a copy of which I have included for your perusal and ease of reference.

Now your contention is contrary to this.

That being the case I would request that you substantiate your claims that this alleged debt is indeed enforceable and not barred by statute.

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance.

Which states that it unfair to mislead debtors as to their rights and obligations, by falsely stating or implying that the debt is still legally recoverable and continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred.

This could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and if your demands continue I will be reporting this matter to the relevant authorities.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing

Yours faithfully,

• Haha 1

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

If you follow their complaints procedure you will more than likely hit a brick wall, after a long pointless wait. They can not take you to court to recover any debt..... but there is nothing in the law which prevents them from trying to get you to pay.

The letter quoted in #6 makes no reference to court actions etc, and they very clearly state the correspondence was sent to you. There is no mention of acknowledgement or liability, and it's just a cleverly worded 'invitation' to pay. CB's letter should be enough to do the trick, rather than getting bogged down in a complaint.

You could safely and legally ignore them, and I'm quite surprised they would even have the nerve to try it on with the 'smoking mirror'. ;)

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

and I'm quite surprised they would even have the nerve to try it on with the 'smoking mirror'. ;)

I confess I have a mild urge to break out my smoking mirror and rain destruction down upon their puny, mortal heads...

Thank you to everyone who has posted advice here. It goes without saying that I'm extremely grateful resources like this website exist.

Actually Dave the Statute Barred clock can NEVER be reset.

Once barred it is permanently barred.

Correct, but I meant if the 6 years wasn't yet up then a payment would restart it. :)

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

Just for the sheer hell of it write to Thames and DEMAND a copy of their complaints procedure. If they mess about or fail to satisfy you then you can make a complaint to the FOS who will charge Thames £ 400 to investigate your complaint. Thats what I call a RESULT!!!!!

Hit Thames in the pocket thats the only way to deal with shysters like them.

I too got a letter from them regarding an old debt and telling me how clever they were tracking me down (Ive lived here for 20 yrs) and that I better cough up the money. No mention of who its supposededly owed to or anything like that. A bunch of Our Soles

Round 3. I sent this letter - recorded delivery on the 6th of September:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your letter of the 31st August, the contents of which have been noted.

I refer you to my letter of 24th August, in which your position was clearly described. To reiterate, you were informed that this alleged debt is Barred under Statute in accordance with Section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. I have included a copy of this original correspondence for your perusal and ease of reference.

As your letter contests that this is the case, it is now your legal obligation to substantiate your claims and to prove that this alleged debt is indeed enforceable and not barred by statute.

You should be aware that I am a member of the CAG (Consumer Action Group), and fully familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance, which states that it is unfair to mislead debtors as to their rights and obligations by falsely stating or implying that the debt is still legally recoverable and continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred.

You should also be aware that if you are unable to substantiate your claims then your behaviour will be considered harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and may result in my choosing to pursue action against you.

As was stated in my last letter, any attempt to contact me by telephone regarding an alleged debt is an offence under section 127 of the Telecommunications Act 2003.

In addition, I hereby demand that you now supply me with information regarding your complaints procedure. Failure to comply will result in the complaint being escalated to the FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service), who will charge you for investigating my complaint.

Finally, I expect no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide clear evidence as to my liability for the debt in question, or your written confirmation that this matter is now closed.

Yours faithfully,

This morning, I get this:

Dear Sir,

We write in reply to your recorded delivery letter dated 6th September 2007

As requested, please enclosed find a copy of our complaint procedure [a leaflet was enclosed with this letter - Tez].

We have requested a copy of the application form along with copy statements for the above referenced account and ask you to be patient whilst this is being collated.

Once this information has been received we will contact you without delay.

Yours faithfully,

Now is it just me smelling an almighty rat here? They mention asking for the 'application form'. Would this be the application form when the bank account was opened? In 1994? Er...still statute barred, chaps.

They also mention copy statements. No luck there either, I'm afraid. Banks are only legally able to keep statements going back 6 years, IIRC, which would be 2001. When the account hadn't been touched since 1994.

So this letter seems to me to be an almighty attempt at wasting time, since even if this 'application form' and copy statements were available, it's still far too long ago to be enforceable.

What I'm now after is a little more of your excellent advice. do I wait, as their letter suggests, or do I write and point out the above, once again demanding they drop this nonsense.

I have, incidentally, already decided to raise a serious complaint with the FOS anyway; partly out of principle, and partly because anything that damages a 'business' like this is a good thing in my book.

Oh, and I've just noticed that their complaints leaflet has the words 'Quality', 'Efficiency' and 'Ethics' printed on the front. Thames Credit are, apparantly, not without a sense of irony...

Make sure you complain to Thames first and give them an opputunity to resolve your complain (they wont) as the FOS requires this befor they will investigate your complaint.

I note they are trying to get a copy of an application form. If they were able to get this it would be useless because apart from the debt being statute barred an application form is not an executed agreement under the CCA

Aaah, is it not? You don't happen to have the relevant sections of the CCA covering that do you? I'd like to use it to add to my already sizeable Thames-Credit-Whipping stick...
There is a sticky here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/105315-my-agreement-enforceable-useful.html

• Haha 1

Am busy knocking up a draft complaint letter and in doing so I've gone back over the initial letter I received from them and noticed that the section which mentions the debt states, and I quote: "The current balance due, inclusive of accrued interest, amounts to £567.97."

Am I right in thinking I read somewhere that DCA's aren't allowed to add interest?

Oh, and something else has just occured to me. Do DCA's come under the FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act)? I'm thinking of adding a demand to my complaint letter that they supply me with full records relating to the number of complaints they've received in the last X years, the number they've resolved, the number that have been escalated, and so on. I really want to put them to as much trouble and hassle as possible, just for the hell of it really...

Oh, and something else has just occured to me. Do DCA's come under the FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act)? I'm thinking of adding a demand to my complaint letter that they supply me with full records relating to the number of complaints they've received in the last X years, the number they've resolved, the number that have been escalated, and so on. I really want to put them to as much trouble and hassle as possible, just for the hell of it really...

Unfortunately no, they are not a public body, just a public nuisance.

It would probably be easier for them to tell you the number of thank you letters they have received in the last 50 years

Emm let me see that would be

erm

mmm

emm

oh around about NONE give or take a few:D