• Tweets

• What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
    • Yes, it was, but in practice we've found time after time that judges will not rule against PPCs solely on the lack of PP.  They should - but they don't.  We include illegal signage in WSs, but more as a tactic to show the PPC up as spvis rather than in the hope that the judge will act on that one point alone. But sue them for what?  They haven't really done much apart from sending you stupid letters. Breach of GDPR?  It could be argued they knew you had Supremacy of Contact but it's a a long shot. Trespass to your vehicle?  I know someone on the Parking Prankster blog did that but it's one case out of thousands. Surely best to defy them and put the onus on them to sue you.  Make them carry the risk.  And if they finally do - smash them. If you want, I suppose you could have a laugh at the MA's expense.  Tell them about the criminality they have endorsed and give them 24 hours to have your tickets cancelled and have the signs removed - otherwise you will contact the council to start enforcement for breach of planning permission.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Chalkitup v DCA's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

saying …

There is no CCA regulated agreement for the above account, the overdraft facility would have been confirmed by way of letter which does not require a customers signature. However, no authorised overdraft would have been sanctioned for the above type of account as Step Accounts are only to be operated with a credit balance.

As previously mentioned by me on here the account in question is not a Step account at all but a business sole trader Chalkitup trading as XXXXX type of account .... so they have given the complete wrong info.

It may be an idea to write to them and point this out.... :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok .... I will add this in the letter I am sending Nat West re one point of contact (post 47) ... Along the lines of ... The account in question is a business account that you gave me a long term overdraft facility on and not Step account as you have said hence it is subject to CCA ....... sort of thing?

Then await their reply and take it from there?

This way they will either give the wrong info a second time (Step account) or they will have to admit they gave me the wrong info the first time.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Hi Chalkitup,

Where are you up to with CBS TRANSCOM? Any further developments?

I have reached the : Send them CCA request and they ignore me stage!

It's 3 weeks since I requested this. Wrote again. Intend now to send letter after 30days saying I'm not paying them any more.

They are ignoring me completely.

Just wondered if you have heard any more.

Shonk

Hello Shonk,

I agree with PriorityOne .... I have heard nothing from CBS Transcom since the letter saying "account on hold and they have requested agreement from OC" and I plan to stop payments to OC next week and just wait. Then go from there.

PriorityOne ..... most of my OC's have stopped sending statements to me since last December time .... Without ruffling too many feathers (as I am in DMP which is going well) what do you suggest is the best way to find out if they are still adding interest? If they are then I will start the CCA request tactics on them.

Thank you,

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

PriorityOne ..... most of my OC's have stopped sending statements to me since last December time .... Without ruffling too many feathers (as I am in DMP which is going well) what do you suggest is the best way to find out if they are still adding interest? If they are then I will start the CCA request tactics on them.

I need to log off soon.... so will catch up tomorrow. IMO, CCA requests never do any harm..... and the older the account, the greater the chances of them not having any docs. to re-enforce with. They should also send you a Statement of Account at the same time, which will show you if interest is still being added.

If you prefer not to make a CCA request at this time however, you can simply request a Statement of Account and it will cost you nothing.

:)

Thank you PriorityOne

I will have a think and decide which route to take.

At least with a CCA request ..... it will kill two birds with one stone ..... after all these OC's and DCA's do us no favours.:)

Thank you again for your help

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

• Haha 1

Re overdrafts: you can CCA. I and others have done so successfully. See:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/42751-natwest-bank-ccj-bryan.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/48764-being-taken-court-joint-12.html

I had much the same experience. Chalkitup if yours was a NatWest sole traders acount it would be covered by CCA 1974. I know mine was.

• Haha 1

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you payingonlyencouragesthem

Sorry for delay in answer ... been unwell.

Yes mine was a NatWest sole traders account .... so it will be covered by CCA 1974 you say.

Natwest insist it is not covered!! Have you a thread I can get ideas from on how to proceed or is the info in the two threads you have mentioned in post 60.

UPDATE .... CBS Transcom have sent me another letter (one month since last) saying they are still waiting for copy of Agreement and will forward to me when they receive it ........ They are over the time limit by months now!!!

PriorityOne .... Shall I reply with anything or just sit tight?

Thank you

Onwards and Upwards (all be it from sick bed at present!!!!)

Chalkitup

UPDATE .... CBS Transcom have sent me another letter (one month since last) saying they are still waiting for copy of Agreement and will forward to me when they receive it ........ They are over the time limit by months now!!!

PriorityOne .... Shall I reply with anything or just sit tight?

Thank you

Chalkitup

No need for a reply.... just file it away.

Hope you feel better soon by the way. :(

Thank you payingonlyencouragesthem

Sorry for delay in answer ... been unwell.

Yes mine was a NatWest sole traders account .... so it will be covered by CCA 1974 you say.

Natwest insist it is not covered!! Have you a thread I can get ideas from on how to proceed or is the info in the two threads you have mentioned in post 60.

Chalkitup

They will still need an agreement to enforce it even if it wasn't - I'm sure you will find they are BS'ing you because they can't find it. Just tell them you will not discuss any settlement plans until they supply you with copies of the original account opening form and overdraft agreement.

Get well soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if you have heard any more from CBS Transcom since we are bothbeing hounded by them? They are now 12+30+ 8 days finding a copy of the alleged CCA. Even had the cheek to call me and try to presure me into a secured loan to pay the balance off.

Hi, what is the situation with Natwest so far. I have been having similar problems, Advantage Gold Premier account. Natwest state there isn't a CCA for overdrafts. I requested a copy of the original letter that would have been sent at the time of the overdraft being agreed , but received a letter today stating that due to the passage of time (and the fact that they changed their computer system around that time) they don't have it. Apparently I should now be satisfied with the copy statments of account dating back to the 1990's (it will take me a couple of years to look through them all!) They have fulfilled their obligation to me and that is that as far as they are concerned.

Can you suggest where I should go next with this.

Thanks,

Magda

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

I am back after an illness and ready to take up the fight against my creditors as they are not playing fair.

Been with CCCS in a Debt Management Plan for over a year now. However .... only one creditor has been sending monthly statements to me and I need to find out if others are adding interest (like Nat West where their interest each month is higher than my payments!!!) .....

PriorityOne .... you advised that I should send each a statement of account request .... is this still the best way I should do this? And is there a fee I need to pay them plus template letter anywhere?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

HFC sent me a default notice in FEB ..... I have sent a CCA request and 12 days will be up this week ..... but they have sent a lovely letter :grin: explaining that the best thing is for me to phone them as they do not have a current phone number for me .... What a great shame I must call immediately and give them my number!!!!:o I think not!

Should I ignore their letter and wait for CCA time limits to run or send a reply to letter (as obviously not calling them) explaining CCA request not been satisfied yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nat West overdrafts ..... No reply whatsoever to my letters that I sent them after only receiving six years statements in reply to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'s on both accounts. Told them they need to supply a lot more info and heard nothing .... my letters sent to them last August ...... I am still paying them via CCCS DMP ...... Thay ARE adding interest to both accounts ..... more than I am paying them each month :o .... is that allowed as they have not complied with their responsibilities under the Data Protection Act so these accounts are in dispute?

Finally CBS Transcom sent a copy of a very old MBNA application form to me in JAN in response to CCA request that 12+30 days expired last September!!!

Briefly it is application from 1994 ... It is a one sided application form with no terms, only my signature, 95% unreadable, no t+c sent, no notice of assignment sent, no statement of account sent etc etc ... so unenforceable ... but it is for an older MBNA card I use to have many years ago and over the years I was promoted to the one that is now in dispute .... should I not receive a CCA showing the latest disputed card details??

However even though I am still paying MBNA via CCCS DMP ... CBS Trancom have already started the nasty letters again demanding I pay them several thousand pounds immediately and then an absurd amount each month (many many many hundreds) ..... should I stop my DMP payment to MBNA as even if they do come up with an agreement would they now need to take it to court to enforce it as it is so far overdue anyway. ..... please advise. Which letter should I now send to CBS Transcom?

Thank you in advance and look forward to speaking with old friends again.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Good grief!! Where do we start? :D Sorry to hear you have been poorly but glad you are feeling better.

Hello All,

PriorityOne .... you advised that I should send each a statement of account request .... is this still the best way I should do this? And is there a fee I need to pay them plus template letter anywhere?

You can request a statement of account for free - i've sent one line emails to people to ask for one. It's a simple request.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

HFC sent me a default notice in FEB ..... I have sent a CCA request and 12 days will be up this week ..... but they have sent a lovely letter :grin: explaining that the best thing is for me to phone them as they do not have a current phone number for me .... What a great shame I must call immediately and give them my number!!!!:o I think not!

Should I ignore their letter and wait for CCA time limits to run or send a reply to letter (as obviously not calling them) explaining CCA request not been satisfied yet.

Be wary of HFC. Many of us have received county court claims despite them not providing CAs. Once the time limits are up, make a formal complaint to them. If / when they carry on demanding payment and making threats report to FOS, TS anyone you can think of. This will help make sure the account is well and truly in dispute. The key is to be pro-active with this lot.

Nat West overdrafts ..... No reply whatsoever to my letters that I sent them after only receiving six years statements in reply to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'s on both accounts. Told them they need to supply a lot more info and heard nothing .... my letters sent to them last August ...... I am still paying them via CCCS DMP ...... Thay ARE adding interest to both accounts ..... more than I am paying them each month :o .... is that allowed as they have not complied with their responsibilities under the Data Protection Act so these accounts are in dispute?

I had a similiar issue with my Barclays acc. They refused to accept my monthly payment offer, so i paid it anyway via internet banking. Their interest and charges were far greater each month than the payment. I wrote to them but they refused to stop and kept sending threatening letters. I wrote to FOS stating they were making it impossible for me to pay off debt, said it was causing me lots of distress etc. All of a sudden i received a paying in book, a final outstanding balance with no add ons and I've not had a threatening letter since!! I think the fact i was paying went in my favour.

And in your complaint, include the fact they have not complied with your S.A.R request. I think you could complain to the Information Commission about this.

Finally CBS Transcom sent a copy of a very old MBNA application form to me in JAN in response to CCA request that 12+30 days expired last September!!!

Briefly it is application from 1994 ... It is a one sided application form with no terms, only my signature, 95% unreadable, no t+c sent, no notice of assignment sent, no statement of account sent etc etc ... so unenforceable ... but it is for an older MBNA card I use to have many years ago and over the years I was promoted to the one that is now in dispute .... should I not receive a CCA showing the latest disputed card details??

However even though I am still paying MBNA via CCCS DMP ... CBS Trancom have already started the nasty letters again demanding I pay them several thousand pounds immediately and then an absurd amount each month (many many many hundreds) ..... should I stop my DMP payment to MBNA as even if they do come up with an agreement would they now need to take it to court to enforce it as it is so far overdue anyway. ..... please advise. Which letter should I now send to CBS Transcom?

If MBNA have not provided you with a CCA then Transcom have no right to demand payment. I'll look for a letter for you.

Again, a complaint to Trading Standards would be appropriate, but they like you to have used the companies' complaints procedure first.

Whether you cease payments or not is your call. You are entitled to if they do not have a true copy of the executed agreement. Alternatively you can use this to negotiate payments that suit you.

Were there any charges on the account? Would they reduce the balance significantly?

Thank you in advance and look forward to speaking with old friends again.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Hope this helps for starters.

Best wishes ;)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Just found this post by Saintly1 re DCA collecting without a CCA:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/136114-dispute-letter.html#post1440570

Adapt to suit :)

If they are doing this there really is no point in paying them at all. You would be better off putting the debt into dispute properly by not paying them and starting the statute bar clock ticking, far off though that may seem. Try to cobble together a plausible FOS complaint too - that should at least stop interest being charged. NW seem to just go quiet after a bit when they can't produce agreements.

Thank you Hopeful1 and payingonlyencouragesthem for your replies.

I have decided to do the following:- (Your views appreciated)

------------

I will send Statement of Account request letters to all creditors except HFC as they should supply current balance with CCA request.

Do I put at the top of the letters “I do not acknowledge any debt etc etc” or just a short sentence along the lines of “send statement of account balance” ?

-------------

HFC – All understood – I will just wait until time limits are up on CCA request and then make formal complaint to them.

--------------

Nat West – overdrafts – My S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)’s have been in dispute since last August – Can they still add interest if S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) in dispute? Plus I did CCA them at same time but they argue CCA not relevant for overdrafts. (Caggers say CCA is relevant). I intend to write one last time to them (then they can not argue that I have not tried my hardest to sort out the problem if / when it goes to court etc) saying not complied with S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)’s, not replied to my letters and adding interest is pointless as I will never pay off the debt PLUS I will request Statement of Account balances (even though I should get them with S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'s). I will also research the CCA request saga on these overdrafts and add my findings in the letter. I will give them 14 days for reply and if nothing then I will complain to FOS and Information Commissioners Office.

-----------------

CBS Transcom – I will send the suggested letter (adapted to suit) AND ask for their complaints procedure. Then if I get nowhere with that I will write to TS …. Again that way I am following correct procedures.

Hopeful1 – last time I had a statement about a year ago only three late payment charges had been added (£36).

-------------------

Finally, as it will go in my favour if court appearances happen in the future, I will continue paying creditors by CCCS DMP until I get replies and latest balances and then rethink from there. These DCA's and Original Creditors are their own worst enemy because I am infact voluntarily paying CCCS each month more than my latest income / expenditure sheet shows I can afford….. (possible but will not explain how at present) … HOWEVER as more creditors begin to fight unfairly I think I will lower the payments to the CCCS figures.

Thanks again

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Hi Chalkitup.

No matter how small charges are it is worth reclaiming it is always worth reclaiming - the less of my money these horrible people have the better!! Obviously it doesn't need to be a priority.

As far as i am aware the rules for a overdraft account are slightly different in that there doesn't need to be a formal agreement as such. The bank should have sent a letter detailing the account though. Later i will look for a post by Rory as he has explained this many times!! There may be a sticky somewhere too. I'm not sure whether being a business acc.would make any difference.

Each time these people fail in their legal obligations make a complaint to cover your back. Make sure you follow each companies complaints procedure. Agencies such as TS won't act until such procedures have been exhausted.

Good luck ;)

• 2 months later...

subscribing.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

A little advice required please .....

As those following my threads will know .... been in Debt Management Plan with CCCS for well over a year. Some creditors flapped their wings and involved DCA's ..... that annoyed me .... so..... CCA requests were sent .... all on going.

Regarding the other creditors ... recently CCCS did an income / expenditure review on me and basically things are not good ...... so CCCS have cut back the amounts I pay each remaining creditor to a nominal sum.

Lloyds TSB (credit card account) have sent letter to me saying I owe XXX arrears on my instalment plan (DMP). They want me to pay arrears and complete and send back an income / expenditure form that they have enclosed with their letter.

I strongly disagree with sending any original creditor (would never send one to a DCA) an income / expenditure plan as what is the point of using CCCS. So ....

Do I write and tell Lloyds to contact CCCS which by rights they should do as CCCS, my official third party agent, have all the info on me and I have signed an agreement with them saying they can divulge my info to ORIGINAL (NOT DCA'S) creditors.

CCCS will then give Lloyds latest income / expenditure figures and explain new lower monthly payment.

OR do I charge into battle with CCA request to Lloyds?

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup