Brighthouse Experience

dampriser
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Having a slight problem with Brighthouse at the moment, and i saw this site upon googling, thus registered and here i am....... Hello :grin:

I wanted to share with you my experience today.

For background purposes I have been a very happy customer with Brighthouse for just under 4 years now, always paid 2 weeks in advance and never had a problem with any of my goods.

Recently I recieved a letter from Brighthouse inviting me to complete one of my soon to end agreements and they will pay the last instalment, plus if i start a new agreement they will give me £20 credit.

These letters are standard and have recieved 2 before, and I decided to take them up on the offer this time and get a new laptop.

I have done my homework re: optional service cover and see that i can get a complete 3 yr warranty direct from the manufacturer for £50.

Thus in the store today, and manager advised that I have to have the optional service cover policy!?!

Her understanding is that it is only optional if i can provide proof of income which will cover the cash price + half the credit price of the product?

I've never heared anything of the sought before, and wondered if anyone else has?

I refused to sign the agreement and requested the head office telephone number which i called there and then and logged a complaint for which i have been informed a senior manager will contact me within 24 hours.

This is the reason i've been googling Brighthouse and saw other threads on here which prompted me to type a letter out to the store cc head office, as i have optional service cover on my tv, and now want it removed.... Ha Ha to you Brighthouse :grin:

Though when typing the letter it occured to me that if the senior manager doesn't authorise the laptop agreement without optional service cover, I could take the agreement out with it, wait 7 days so they have no reason / right to cancel, and then issue a letter asking them to remove it!

Can someone please verify this with me please?

Apologies for the the long first message, and many thanks in advance for your time and comments

Edit: I've just seen THIS which goes to show that Brighthouse have had problems with their T&C's in the past

Well what do you know, recieved a call at lunchtime from the manager of the store to say the area manager has agreed the agreement without the optional service cover.

I collected the laptop this afternoon, the manager wasn't there, but a member of staff said the area manager came in and "had a right go" at the store manager - something along the lines that she should be concentrating on her customer relations rather than just here store stats!!

I was also given an additional £10 discount as a GOGW for the inconvinance caused.

Now i shall wait 7 days so they can't cancel the agreement and then hand in my letter opting out of the service cover i have on my tv :D

They can not make you take the cover...it is Optional. I have had this problem in the past as one of the employees who now currently no longer works there.. seemed to have an attitude problem with several of her customers including myself, every item I had ever taken out a new agreement I neither had their DLC or Service Cover, you can avoid the DLC by providing evidence you have house insurance. And I was never asked to provide anything for the service cover, however what I will say is that Brighthouse have a tendancy to put on both charges without asking the customers permission.

And this I have had to bring up on more than one occassion, at one point this member of staff tried to show me up when I came to take up my 3rd contract with them routing through my file and accusing me of having no house insurance, however I brought my documents in and basically had to point out that her job is not to try and make me look studpid in the shop, because they have misplaced or she has removed the original copy of my house insurance as a way to cover herself for her reason to include the fees for cover I did not request. And I also had to point out the meaning of the word optional, and that thay are basically taking away my right to choosing whether I want the extra cover or not.... I would also be very wary with the Laptop.

I purchased a Laptop from them and am still currently paying it off, the original Laptop advertised was a tOSHIBA but the one provided is an infinity....the same happen with a desk top pc my friend purchased, the advertised desk to was a brand name desk top but when hers was delivered it was also an infinity...she made a complaint to head office who then removed the advertised product from their catologue.

A few months ago I accidently split the power lead and needed a new one, when I tried a search for the the item no where was able to provide the item, I did a search on the name Infinity which is a trade marked name and contacted the company who didn't know anything about Laptops the company make and supply sound system speakers and so forth. so I contacted bright house who gave me a number, where I was informed that Brighthouse choose the name for the Laptop and contacted one company to make the shell and another to make the internal parts. I was then given another number to contact to get the lead but unfortunatley they were out of stock and had been for some time and he couldn't tell me when they would be.

Since then the keys on the Laptop dont all function properly so half your letters are missing when you type, the lettering is already coming off the keys and the cd drive has completly shot out in my hand, not to mention that both the hinges that support the screen are completly kracked and barely holding the screen to the keyboard, when I went back to Brighthouse and informed them the item that will have cost me over £1000 by the time it's paid for is falling apart the offer I was given was less than desirable.

Because some bright spark while doing a rewrite removed the fact that I have insurance cover for the items means that I would have to have it reinstated and pay for another six weeks before they send it to be fixed, but why should I have it fixed when it's costing me so much money and falling apart I feel they should replace it, I have had a Tandy pc since 1999 that is still going now, so I would not expect this to be falling apart already and have been advised by Bright house my best solution would be claiming it on the house insurance....

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

There are many times I have considered buying something from Brighthouse.

Reading all of these peoples experiences makes me grateful I never have.

Thank you.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to buy a tv from these idiots for £750 but with opt. service cover and DLC the price went to £1850. I said there is no way im payin these, and to remove them. They said bring in your home insurance stating contents cover and you can, so b/f took in insurance docs and they said no because it doesnt state hp items covered I told b/f thats bull because if anything went wrong insurance would pay thats what its there for. He told them this and they agreed to take off opt. s. cover. So price was £1650 I still said no way I want DLC removing but they said that is just not possible yet it clearly states in t+c it is. Just a bunch of con artists praying on and lying to the vunerable who dont know any better. Needles to say cancelled and ripped up agreement. Just wish I could teach them some proper customer service though.

If they act like loan sharks, and they sound like loan sharks, and they treat you like they're loan sharks..... can anyone fill in the last bit?

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 2 weeks later...

to what i have read posted on several sites the optional cover that they never ever give you the option of whether you want it or not how they hit their tagets, apparently they have to sell so many of these hence if you as too many questions they dont bother but if you dont then thats where they hit you, and as for the dlc, from you have home insurance there should be no dlc but they will ask for proof.

Forums - Brighthouse.co.uk - PC Advisor

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Right let me introduce myself

I have worked for this company for a number of years and just left,As the customer service doesnt exist.And i will not let my good name go to shame....

Any way i have to say something on this matter.

First of all why do u think its callled optional cover {Optional}.

They say this cover gives u a loaner item if ur item is broken.

I've asked this many times

If you got no loaner r You "Brighthouse" breaking ur contract with the customer?.Imo they are..

There has been loads of times ive been out on a service call without a loaner..

If you ever get a service call for a tv/washing machine ect ect and DONT get a loaner,Id advice you to seek help for a breach of contract.I'll garantee you will get wot you deserve "Proper service"..

There's tons of advice on here regarding Brighthouse and it's wonderful "optional service cover" - just search the forum, and you will find it.

From my personal experience, Brighthouse customer service (and by this I actually mean their call out and/or repair service) is virtually non existant.

An issue that often gets missed with Brighthouse threads is the fact that most customers have TWO (not one) additional - and way over-priced - insurance premium on top of their way over-priced product which is being purchased with a way over-priced APR...

Optional Service Cover PLUS Damage Liability Cover. This second policy is supposed to cover your purchase against accidental damage, loss and theft etc. On a typical purchase, this second policy adds around £2 - £3 PER WEEK to your agreement. However, unlike home contents insurance (which it PRETENDS to be) in the event of a claim YOU get NOTHING. No replacement, not even like-for-like. Nope. It just pays out to Brighthouse and you no longer have any LIABILITY for your agreement...

...Don't tell you that, do they Digital-D? ;)

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

In response to the over priced items, well I do usually try to pricematch the item before purchasing but I went in yesterday to consult them about my laptop and saw that my friends sister who has taken a ps3 which in the shops on its own is £424.99 cash and that hmv are doing an offer with i think almost £130 to £180 worth of extras (dont quote me on that) brighthouse are only doing the console and with optional service cover i notied the price is £2088....and this is just the console how do they get away with it? When I advised them of recommended retail price they basically told me it is just a guide and they can put whaterever price they want is this correct?

Scratch that just spoken to Trading Standards and it is totally legal to over charge on the recommeded retail price...what a sad day :(

Scratch that just spoken to Trading Standards and it is totally legal to over charge on the recommeded retail price...what a sad day :(

Actually its not - if everybody was to charge the RRP, then people would cry price fixing.

Any business id allowed to charge whatever it likes, as long as the pricing is transparent.

Actually its not - if everybody was to charge the RRP, then people would cry price fixing.

Any business id allowed to charge whatever it likes, as long as the pricing is transparent.

What part have I said that is incorrect please as I have only passed on exactly the information as I was told by Trading Standards today. If I am in correct the number for trading standards is 01902 554335.

Its still daylight robbery- legal or not!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Thats my point exactly but it seems they can...which is why we know it pays to shop around, but for those unable to get credit and unfortunate to think Brighthouse is the way, when really signing a contract with brighthouse is like making a deal with the devil.

Except the devil will leave the fillings in your teeth!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

LOL and wont ask you to trade in ya grandma either to help make the repayments when your struggling lol

Trade in! No, they'll keep her for security while you rob the post office!

They don't care HOW you get the money- they just want the money!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

What part have I said that is incorrect please as I have only passed on exactly the information as I was told by Trading Standards today. If I am in correct the number for trading standards is 01902 554335.

The bit about it being a sad day.

Well that may be your opinion and I am entitled to mine and I do see it as a sad day when a company can legally charge over the odds and claim they bring afford prices to those unfortunates unable to obtain credit anywhere else.

No offence but these aren't exactly Essential products you're talking about. Appreciated that Brighthouse are toerags etc, however, you have a choice. If you can't get credit for a new TV, apart from a bunch of scoundrels, don't get the new 42" LCD TV.

That's a bit unfair.

I know where you're coming from with that statement, "poor people, sub-prime customers and people on benefit shouldn't be buying things like TVs, washing machines, fridges, cookers, beds, sofas, furniture etc..."

That is what you were saying, wasn't it? ;)

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

No offence but these aren't exactly Essential products you're talking about. Appreciated that Brighthouse are toerags etc, however, you have a choice. If you can't get credit for a new TV, apart from a bunch of scoundrels, don't get the new 42" LCD TV.

Plus you only picked the one item that isn't an essential.

I moved home two years ago, new house to carpet, decorating to be done and expecting a baby, which was my reason for a move. Funny thing is when items go they go in three's not mine, the same time I moved, my dryer, kettle and fridge went on the blink. About to have a baby and moving in to a new home that also needed decorating and carpeting before the arrival of my daughter, but in that hot whether a fridge is a necessity.

I was lucky to have had cover come through for the dryer as it was reaching the 4 year mark so I quickly took out a policy enabling me to have it fixed, and I had money to purchase a new fridge and was about to have the carpet done when the washing machine broke down, I could either buy the fridge & washing machine but as I was due to have a baby... and like most parents would like the home in a some what comfortable state, especially after the upheaval of moving and decorating, Brighthouse for me meant that I could do all three as having two kids already and a new baby, who wants to be doing all that washing by hand and as the doctor was also expecting me to relapse after having the baby.

So what other option would you have recommended:?: