Homebase return of fan

nickm911
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I recently bought a large fan from homebase. On testing I found it far too powerful and noisy for what I had intended. 

I have obviously taken it out of the box and plugged it in. 

I returned to homebase and spoke to customer services. They called the manager and he told me he would test it, but if it wasn't making an actual 'fault' noise they wouldn't accept the return. 

It's been years since I've returned anything to a retail store and guess I've been spoilt with the ease of return at places like Amazon. 

I've checked the returns policy and it does state "All returned items must be unused, in their original packaging, with a receipt or order confirmation. Products which have been installed cannot be cancelled or returned unless faulty". 

Is there any way way I can return this? 

WWW.HOMEBASE.CO.UK

Find Homebase 20 Inch Floor Fan Metal at Homebase.

No

In future you want to buy from Homebase then you should identify the item, possibly in store and then purchase it online. Then you can benefit from the distance selling rules.

• Like 1

Thanks. No wonder the highstreet is on the decline!

I've just had a quick look at the specs

Noise Level :<65db
It's way higher than this. My phone says its more like 100db even on the lower setting. 

• Like 1

If you can prove that then you have a basis for returning it on the grounds that it is not as described

• Like 1

@nickm911 I think that the sound level quoted by the manufacturer of any domestic equipment has to be measured by calibrated instruments in a specific way at a specified distance, although I don't know what that is for fans. You would need to research it. You could probably get the details by contacting the manufacturer and asking them how the <65db is measured.

I doubt that just holding a smartphone app up to it would be accepted as evidence that it exceeded the advertised noise limit. 

Still, nothing ventured nothing gained. You can try. Let us know how you get on if you do.

• Like 1