Civil Enforcement Ltd (again!)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4775 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello crem, thanks for the advice, but I would like to know is, if alamo is allowed to pass on my private data to someone, just because they send them an invoice, with no proof at all, or even mentioning the offence I was supposed to have done. If it were the police or the local authorities then I would pay, no problem, but this is not the case.

annie

I am sure Alamo, like most other car hire firms, have a clause in their contract saying they can pay fines on your behalf and/or provide your details to the 3rd party in relation to a traffic offence or fine.

What many of them forget or pretend they haven't noticed, is that PPC's do not and cannot issue "FINES", they are only issuing invoices for an apparent service or breech of contract, both of which are nothing to do with Alamo.

If the police or council write to them seeking your details then they can and must provide them, PPC's can go swivel.

Have you stopped the card yet?

alamo asked us to contact them for payment, I cannot see into my creditcard, until I get the next bill, but I can send the money back if charged wrong.

The funny thing is, that I tried to contact alamo, but no reaction yet.

on the rental agreement there is a notice saying I am liable during currency of agreement in respect of penalty charges, offences and contravention as detailed in terms and conditions. Do they not have to give me any terms and conditions when I am hiring? I did not get any, except when booking I agreed to ones (no copy per mail), and there I got the german ones, the fees mentioned there are different.

the next question I have is, what is a contravention? Is this a term only used in the private sector? Or does the above sentence mean that the car hire is right. Cause should they be right, then they can charge me, as they have my home address and the german ways of getting money is very easy should you be right.

If the sentence implies that these charges have to come from a local authority, as police or council, then I am thinking about charging them for passing our details on to someone third party, with no proof of whatever has happend.

Has anyone had any experience of anyone being charged without breaking the rules?

annie

Stop to card anyway!

It does no harm to get a new card number now and if Alamo put a charge through on your card it is extremely difficult to get it stopped or reversed after the event.

I am yet another 'victim' of Civil Enforcement Ltd where a treat for my Daughter and Grandson at a local KFC turned into a £150 parking charge because my Grandson, who is only 18 months old, took over a hour to eat it!

Should we not be looking at organisations such as KFC that 'sell' theri car parking space for customers to these criminal organisations?

I have taken this up with KFC who assured me that it was cancelled, only to receive a threatening letter from CEL. My next port of call was my local Newspaper who will be doing a story about this which should damage KFC. Good.

So far the current bill to me is:

KFC £15.00

Parking Charge £150.00

Mileage £6.00

Phone Calls £3.00

Stress PRICELESS

But for everything else, there's CEL

So far the current bill to me is:

KFC £15.00

Parking Charge £150.00

Mileage £6.00

Phone Calls £3.00

Stress PRICELESS

But for everything else, there's CEL

You can subtract the parking charge as I assume you wont be paying that.

Well done involving the papers.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Been back to KFC regarding my 'fine'. She even remembered me going in to see her, which leads me to believe not many people challenge the charge.

KFC assured me that an email was sent to CEL and they would send it again. But when I asked for proof or a letter from KFC, this was refused as apparently I should receive a notice from CEL within a week. Again, the Manageress says it is not their parking area and belongs to CEL.

I am talking to the Newspaper Reporter (Barnsley Chronicle) on Monday regarding this. Apparently, KFC using CEL has been highlighted in National Papers already and, as she pointed out, nothing has been done about it.

Been back to KFC regarding my 'fine'. She even remembered me going in to see her, which leads me to believe not many people challenge the charge.

KFC assured me that an email was sent to CEL and they would send it again. But when I asked for proof or a letter from KFC, this was refused as apparently I should receive a notice from CEL within a week. Again, the Manageress says it is not their parking area and belongs to CEL.

I am talking to the Newspaper Reporter (Barnsley Chronicle) on Monday regarding this. Apparently, KFC using CEL has been highlighted in National Papers already and, as she pointed out, nothing has been done about it.

Is she claiming that the land owners have given CEL a licence to the land This I very much doubt as to do so would give CEL carte blanch to do what they wanted, they could even seek planning consent to erect buildings & there's nowt the land owner could do:D

alamo asked us to contact them for payment, I cannot see into my creditcard, until I get the next bill, but I can send the money back if charged wrong.

The funny thing is, that I tried to contact alamo, but no reaction yet.

on the rental agreement there is a notice saying I am liable during currency of agreement in respect of penalty charges, offences and contravention as detailed in terms and conditions. Do they not have to give me any terms and conditions when I am hiring? I did not get any, except when booking I agreed to ones (no copy per mail), and there I got the german ones, the fees mentioned there are different.

the next question I have is, what is a contravention? Is this a term only used in the private sector? Or does the above sentence mean that the car hire is right. Cause should they be right, then they can charge me, as they have my home address and the german ways of getting money is very easy should you be right.

If the sentence implies that these charges have to come from a local authority, as police or council, then I am thinking about charging them for passing our details on to someone third party, with no proof of whatever has happend.

Has anyone had any experience of anyone being charged without breaking the rules?

annie

If you signed a German contract its important that you remind them of this as this & not their UK T&C's are what bind you. However I would be surprised if the German T&C's don't already cover use abroad

Just ignore all of their letters, as the others have said this is simply an invoice and not a fine. I have received 5 letters form Civil Enforcement and their buddies Newlyn since the so called offence in January 2010. Now it is June and the letters stopped two months ago.

They bet on the fact that more than 80% who receive their "invoices" pay them because they are scared of the "escalating" costs.

JUST IGNORE, THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO!:-)

Does anyone know if there is a legal route to stop these tricksters once and for all?

Hi JonChris,

when we collected the car, we only received a small slip of paper (like photo paper) with a wee picture of a car on the back for noting the damages. Attached was the same for handing it back in. And of course the keys. After asking -is that all- the answer was - that is all you need.

Annie

P.S. we did sign a cony of this slip of paper to receive the keys and for the credit card deposit

Edited by anniefromgermany
additional info

in the german version, in a case of an official fine or police authorized charge, maximum of 20€, in the englisch version: no mentioning of what can be charged.

the weirdest thing is that we booked with alamo and it is europecar that is charging this fee....

hi ,since my last posting my son has had 2 more letters from NEWLYNS telling him to pay £238.13 from a parking notice at COPPINS BRIDGE ISLE OF WIGHT.the lastest one says they are passing the file back to their client,for them to process it for court action.is the advice as usual DO NOT PAY ?they also say the court action will allow the BAILIFFS to remove household effects and cars from our property and affect credit rating. thanks for helping me to stay calm as the letters are coming only a week inbetween each other now. thanks

All usual stuff. Ever considered why they are messing about so much instead of actually just going ahead with court? It's a bluff.

Court action will enable them to employ bailiffs and affect credit. IF they take you to court. AND they win. AND you still don't pay within 28 days.

More chance of Elvis performing with Michael Jackson.

They conveniently forget to mention they haven't got a legal leg to stand on ;-)

Thanks for the reply A127 , we will wait and see if the court letter comes next.thanks

Dont hold your breath, some posters on here have begged these clowns to take them to court without result.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

• 2 weeks later...

Be calm and DO NOT PAY! For your comfort this is the trail of 5 letters from them to me:

1) Parking Contravention, Enforcement Notice with info purchased from DVLA. Nice paper and print and “look”. £75 if paid within 14 days. Dated mid December.

2) Parking Contravention, Enforcement Notice “Notice before legal action” now amount is £150. Failure to pay within 7 days will result in us seeking a CCJ etc. etc. Dated January.

3) Do not ignore this letter (from Newlyn who are partners with Civil Enforcement) total is now £238. More threats of Court Action etc. etc. Dated February.

4) Notice prior to County Court Proceedings. Dated mid March.

5) Notice of Court Action. Unless we hear from you within 7 days the files will be returned to our client for court action. End March.

That’s it, today is 5th July so three months on there is nothing.

Please take a look at the comments on the thread below from Conniff. I found this very useful and of great comfort.

As mentioned just ignore all letters, these guys are conmen!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-issues-media/223350-civil-enforcement-ltd-yet.html

I must be one of the lucky ones. Having complained to KFC yet again, I finally received a letter from Civil Enforcement cancelling their charge. After all, KFC do not want bad publicity. Unfortunately for KFC, I did manage to get it in the local paper:-)

Great gotta link?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4775 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks