• Tweets

• Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
    • The retailer has come under fire for an advert showing motorcyclists wearing trainers and doing wheelies.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Reply from hsbc

molly1959
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You can only claim back the interest on the portion of the o/d caused by unlawful charges , molly - the 'Advanced' spreadsheet is designed to take care of that. Speaking personally , I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, but I know there are people who will disagree with me. :)

So really,it's a personal decision, if you decide to just claim the charges , then the 'simple' s/s is OK.

Just as a matter of interest molly, did you get official notification that your other claim had been stayed? Reason I ask is, if it wasn't and you didn't turn up at court, HSBC may try to have it thrown out.........

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you havnt agreed any settlement so you can claim your interest. As long as you make it clear where this comes from I dont think it will cause any problems :).

When the test case mess reaches a stage where the banks start to agree settlements again I think they will roll together all of your charges and claims just as they did before we had the test case started.

pete

You can only claim back the interest on the portion of the o/d caused by unlawful charges , molly - the 'Advanced' spreadsheet is designed to take care of that. Speaking personally , I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, but I know there are people who will disagree with me. :)

So really,it's a personal decision, if you decide to just claim the charges , then the 'simple' s/s is OK.

Just as a matter of interest molly, did you get official notification that your other claim had been stayed? Reason I ask is, if it wasn't and you didn't turn up at court, HSBC may try to have it thrown out.........

Hi yes got a letter of dg saying it was they were appling for a furthur stay till it was sorted out. Is that ok. I did originally go to court because i had a date when i got there hsbc were their when we went in the judge said he was sorry my time had been wasted it had slipped through by mistake.

That sounds OK then ,molly if you haven't got another court date - :)

I just wanted to be sure you were OK on that score ..so there should be a fresh date that your claim has been stayed to - is that right?

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi

I got this of DG We refer to the Order of the Court made by Distric Judge Travers dated 27th November staying the ckaim until 31st March 2008.

We enclose a copy of the letter dated 27th March that has been sent to the court respectfully requesting that the court agree to continue the stay in the above reference claim pending the final determination (including any appeals) of the test case.

And not heard anything from any one since this.

I would be tempted to write to DG asking for written confirmation that the further stay has been granted until.....(whenever). When they come back with a written confirmation you can relax and forget about the cretin on the phone - or you may want to send him a copy :rolleyes: just to annoy him:D.

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 3 months later...

Hi

Not been on for a while i have managed to move my life insurance to my daughters account, so they are just charging me around £50 interest on my o/d can i claim this back? :? Iam also in process of claiming my money back from XL we were going to florida with them:mad:

Hiya Molly long time no see, its good to see you :)

If your OD is totally made up with charges then yes you can claim back any interest they charge you on their own charges. if your overdraft is more than the charges they have deducted from you then you can only reclaim a proportion for the charges amount :cool:

Sorry to hear about your spoiled holiday and good luck with your claim :)

pete

• 3 months later...

Hi

Hope every one is ok not been on for a while.:)

I got a letter of the hsbc saying as i have not offered them a payment to clear my o/d they want it all back within 7 days in full. If i can not do this they have enclosed means test form so do i fill this in and make an offer? It goes on to say action will be taken if i don't do either. which could be debt collectors or solicitors or i could be taken to court. Not sure what to do. :???:This is the account i am claiming charges back from but they are charging me £50 a month interest on the o/d. Also i have got my mortgage with them could this affect my mortgage.

hi molly check you overdraft contract i am sure it is 28 days notice .......

your mortgage is totally different....

I would write telling them you have not made an offer as they refuse to deal with the unfair charges and the account is in dispute....

i would also write to the fsa enclosing a copy of their letter.... i am 99% sure they are breaching the banking code....

psss looks like they are starting ot seriously struggle.....

rockin all over the world

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

Re: Account in dispute

I am writing to clarify that I am currently in the process of requesting a refund of bank charges unlawfully made to my account.

I note from your latest correspondence that you are demanding repayment within 7 days of my over draft on this account. I need to make you fully aware that I am disputing the sum owed and, as such, you must refrain from any further action until this dispute is fully resolved.

The current Banking Code (Section 13.6) states: We may give information to Credit Reference Agencies about the personal debts you owe us if:

• You have fallen behind with your payments,
  • The amount owed is not in dispute; and
  • You have not made proposals we are satisfied with for repaying your debt, following our formal demand.

I would also like to make you aware of The Office of Fair Trading Code of Guidance in which it states: putting pressure on debtors or third parties is considered to be oppressive This includes ignoring disputes about whether money is owed and refusing to freeze action if the debt is in dispute.

I have a plan with ccs which is being bpaid every month, you refused to accept this, despite your refusal my payments have continued and will continue to do so.

A copy of this letter adn the one received from you are being sent to the FSA and the OFT for their information.

I therefore hope to receive your full co-operation in this matter and would like to request a written response to that effect.

Yours sincerely,

rockin all over the world

• 2 months later...

Hi

I sent that letter above to hsbc and i will type up the reply they sent, they then sent me a letter from Metropolitan which i ignored i have now had a letter from dg i will put them all on if any one could give me any advice i have not spoke to any off them and have got a new phone number so they can't contact me.

24th feb

They have fully investigated my concerns and have said.

I acknowledge that a legal challenge to the bank has been raised in your name. However at present a legal challange to charges is not a dispute of the balance of an account. Therefore even though a legal challange has been raised the banks collections procedures will still continue.

I acknowledge that you are paying funds into your account each month (i have got a plan with the cccs who pay £6.00 in each month which they would not accept) however the bank was unable to agree to the repayment offer to the level of debt outstanding which is £2,827.74 Therefore a final demand has been issued on the account. Please be advised if no repayment plan is agreed in the near future the debt will be passed to the debt collection agency. Then gave me a number to ring which i did not do. I am claiming back around £1500 charges it rose to the higher amount as they are charging me £50 a month charges i have not got anything going out of this account and not sure if i can claim the rest of the charges back?

Next letter from Metropolitan

We have been instructed by HSBC Bank to collect the above debt. You must pay it in 7 days. Please note failure to make a full payment may result in your account being transferred to DG to commence legal proceedings.

These did keep ringing but i never spoke to them.

Letter from Dg

We act on behalf of HSBC We are advised that despite full demand repayment has not been made.

We have therefore been instructed to take legal action against you in the count court to recover this debt, This may result in the bank obtaining a judgement against you which if not complied with may result in an application to secure a charging order against your property (my mortgage is with hsbc) The rest is just about how to pay it i have got 14 days to do this got this letter on 6th april.

What do you think i should do now. Thanks Molly

Hi

Hi Molly , Welcome Back :)

I sent that letter above to hsbc and i will type up the reply they sent, they then sent me a letter from Metropolitan which i ignored i have now had a letter from dg i will put them all on if any one could give me any advice i have not spoke to any off them and have got a new phone number so they can't contact me.

24th feb

They have fully investigated my concerns and have said.

I acknowledge that a legal challenge to the bank has been raised in your name. However at present a legal challange to charges is not a dispute of the balance of an account. Therefore even though a legal challange has been raised the banks collections procedures will still continue.

This is utter garbage ,Molly - of course the legal challenge leads to your account being 'In Dispute' and as such they should not pass it to a DCA.

I acknowledge that you are paying funds into your account each month (i have got a plan with the cccs who pay £6.00 in each month which they would not accept) however the bank was unable to agree to the repayment offer to the level of debt outstanding which is £2,827.74 Therefore a final demand has been issued on the account. Please be advised if no repayment plan is agreed in the near future the debt will be passed to the debt collection agency. Then gave me a number to ring which i did not do. I am claiming back around £1500 charges it rose to the higher amount as they are charging me £50 a month charges i have not got anything going out of this account and not sure if i can claim the rest of the charges back?

You can do this in two ways , Molly - 1. apply to the court to vary the amount which you are claiming , which will incur costs which you can't claim back or 2. Start another claim from scratch for the balance - this will incur court fees , which you can of course claim back as you did before. :cool:

Next letter from Metropolitan

Metropolitan of course , are not a real DCA - they are only the collection branch of HSBC , use their premises and database , etc .etc .....

We have been instructed by HSBC Bank to collect the above debt. You must pay it in 7 days. Please note failure to make a full payment may result in your account being transferred to DG to commence legal proceedings.

These did keep ringing but i never spoke to them.

Good for you ., they'll only harass you on the phone

Letter from Dg

We act on behalf of HSBC We are advised that despite full demand repayment has not been made.

We have therefore been instructed to take legal action against you in the count court to recover this debt, This may result in the bank obtaining a judgement against you which if not complied with may result in an application to secure a charging order against your property (my mortgage is with hsbc) The rest is just about how to pay it i have got 14 days to do this got this letter on 6th april.

What do you think i should do now. Thanks Molly

Now molly, you could bring up the big guns and send them a version of Pete's letter as on this link : :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/125577-metropolitan-collection-services-action.html#post1311983

But send it to DG , suitably modified ........

Or you could just write , pointing out that you will be happy to see them in court so that you can get your counter -claim out of the 'Stayed' position which they are responsible for ....... and get back the money which they owe you .....

Tell them that this account is obviously 'In Dispute' or it wouldn't be in Court in the first place ........

Come back if you have any further queries, Molly - and keep an eye out , there may be other advice coming from the site ........ if pete's around I'm sure there will be ........ :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Hi Johnny

Thats great will do. Can i claim the £50 a month they have added since i put my claim in, i have not got anything going out of that account now as got a parachute one, the money they keep taking is because i am overdrawn they made it this high with their charges.

That's great that you've got a parachute account Molly -:) it means whatever they have loaded onto your account is pure charges, which you can claim back as I said above ...........

I think I 'd go for another court claim , so you can claim back the costs as well... just start your new claim from where the last one left off...... do it on a new spreadsheet so that you get the running interest figure as well .........

and of course. come back if you need more info ..........:D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Thanks i have also spoken to the cccs and they told me they will deal with Dg and i have not to speak to them as they will only want me to offer a apyment. So that ok. Do i have to send the £10 and ask for back statements i cant get them online now.

If you only want a few statements it may be best to drop into the local branch and ask Molly - but if you send your SAR and £10 again it gets you a lot more than just your statements - however, make sure you ask specifically for statements - or they may just send a list of charges.......

Nemo me impune lacessit

btw - good to know that cccs are going to deal with DG - saves you a lot of hassle ....... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

I noticed your light on Molly and thought you might like the link for the SAR :

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/110--data-protection-act-1998-subject-access-request-.html

There you go ........... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit